New Girl 100th Episode

New Girl 100 Recap: Jess Is Back! — Plus: Grade the Milestone Episode

Uh, did everyone living at the New Girl loft miss the memo?

We could have sworn Tuesday’s episode was the Fox comedy’s 100th outing, but Nick, Reagan & Co. were hardly in a celebratory mood.

In fact, even though the milestone half-hour featured Jess’ return from jury duty, we’d venture to say that Tuesday’s installment was one of New Girl‘s most bittersweet outings. Before you give us your thoughts on No. 100, let’s briefly recap “Goosebumps Walkaway.”

First, the good news: Jess and her quirky songs are back! Yay! Now, the bad news: Her return to the loft means that Reagan’s time in the apartment is almost up — and when Nick’s hookup with Reagan is interrupted by Jess’ unexpected presence in his bedroom, Nick turns into World’s Most Awkward Human at the thought of splitting his time between two women that he’s romanced. (When you’ve got a peculiar gal like Jess freakin’ Day feeling embarrassed for you, that’s a sign you’re handling a situation really poorly.)

New Girl 100th EpisodeFortunately for Nick, he doesn’t have to worry about any jealous feelings on Jess’ part, as she’s still pining after an anonymous juror she clicked with back at the courthouse. Reagan, looking to avoid Nick’s increasingly uncomfortable behavior, decides to help Jess track down Juror 237-B, and after some prodding from Ms. Day, finally admits that she’s crazy about Nick. Oh, she’s well aware that Nick is an oddball who calls hand sanitizer “ham sanitizer,” but he also “kisses you like a coal miner greeting his wife,” and Reagan can’t help feeling infatuated with the guy.

At first, Reagan is willing to brush the whole thing under the rug and board her flight the next day without telling Nick how she feels. But when Jess’ search for her mystery juror, Gary Garcia, comes to a screeching halt — considering there are 931 men with that name in the police database — she encourages Reagan to come clean to Nick, lest she miss her only chance. Aaaand naturally, Nick ruins the whole thing by trying, and failing, to sweep Reagan off her feet with a cinematic parting line: “Sayonara, Sammy.” (What? Seriously, what?)

But Reagan and Nick get one more chance to share their true feelings the next day, when Jess is unexpectedly reunited with Gary Garcia during a morning-news appearance to discuss the trial. Blown away by such a romantic twist of fate, Reagan gives Nick a call from the airport and returns the “Sayonara, Sammy” — code for “I totally dig you” — before begrudgingly getting on that plane.

As for the thrilling love story of Jess and Gary? It’s short-lived. They go on a real date and have nothing in common. Sigh.

With that, I hand it over to you. What did you think of New Girl‘s 100th episode? Grade it in our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Travis says:

Quick question: Why does ever media outlet (including the show’s Twitter) keep saying this is the 100th episode? Reagan’s first episode was the 100th, this was 104.

• English says:

Omg. Wow. You’re right… How the hell did this happen?!?!

• Staci says:

So that was bothering me as well. I finally looked closely at the episodes. They counted Fancyman part 1 and Fancyman part 2 as one episode. They also counted Sister I, Sister II and Sister III as one episode. It’s the only way I see how they counted tonight’s episode as 100.

2. A. D. says:

Realized how I didn’t miss Jess…she can be so annoying and grating…send her back to jury duty and bring back Reagan!

• ? says:

Yeah . . . she showed up and was instantly annoying. The whole tone of the show changed without her and I didn’t even realize how much better it was until right then. Love Zooey, but if I were the writers I would be paying attention to this. Maybe it’s time for her character to finally grow up a bit?

• Mike M says:

First, the good news: Jess and her quirky songs are back! Yay! Now, the bad news: Jess and her quirky songs are back!

3. Boiler says:

Really love the show. Hopefully they will bring Reagan back every once in a while!!

4. James D says:

I’m going to miss Megan. She did a great job with Reagan. In fact I liked her so much that I found Jess’ return grating and jarring.

5. Regina says:

I’ve been loving the show so much more with Megan! It seemed like Jess was EXTRA annoying in her first episode back… The adorkable thing just isn’t working anymore.

• Daisy F. says:

I found Jess to be especially annoying (and grating, too). I wish they would tone down the adorkable thing a little bit, too!

6. BenM says:

Jess came back different than I remembered her. I think I just the show w rose colored glasses before. She’s so high-pitched and shrill. Going Reagan to jess was just jarring. Reagan is so chill. She’s detached and walled off. But that was fine! It let all the other characters, especially Winston, shine. I’m not saying I hate jess persay, but she is definitely my least of the roommates now.

• Patrick says:

I watched the first year, but I got behind in year 2 and never caught up. Its been airing in syndication this year, so I’ve caught up. Jess is unbearable. She’s obnoxious and unyielding in her opinions. She just nags the others constantly. Further, I like who Cece is when Jess isn’t around. Zoey D just had her baby, and I think she’s moved to Texas when she’s not shooting, and she seems to really love being a mom. I could easily see her taking a break from the industry, especially because she’s pretty rich right now (movies, as well as profit participation from New Girl, on which she is a producer). Her absence as a juror was well done, but we didn’t NEED a replacement. The fact that a big name replacement (one who’s probably eager for a sweet TV gig paying around 100,000+ per ep) was brought in as a pinch hitter was very telling to me. I think this new girl was a test balloon, to see if the show could continue without Jess. A permanent replacement after this year would surprise no one.

7. BarryFlash says:

I really hope they make Megan Fox a regular next season.

8. Terry says:

As much as I love Zoey and the show, it seemed a little off kilter tonight compared to the last few weeks.

9. Joey Padron says:

Episode was good, funny, and sweet. Good to have Jess back. I’ll miss Reagan. Hope she’ll come back for the wedding!

10. Belle says:

Holy crap, you guys are SO harsh!! Jess was the same girl she was when she left for jury duty…I didn’t care for the Reagan character or Megan Fox until this episode. The dynamic in the loft was forever changed when Coach came back into the picture. It lost it’s identity an just can’t seem to get back on track. And CeCe as a bartender and not a model took away those interactions with her crazy, yet fun, model friends/roommates. I miss Nadia’s Russian influence when she was with Jess and CeCe. I may be in the minority, but I am Happy Jess is back :)

11. Jason says:

We need Jess with John Cho’s character!

12. Toni says:

I did not really enjoy last night’s episode. I am hoping they can bring Reagan back in some capacity.

13. HAP says:

I just noticed that Megan Fox had only one movie and no TV roles between 2012 and this year. Other than being a mommy to two kids, anyone know what was responsible for the long drought?