Exclusive

American Crime EP Hints at Finale's 'Sense of Justice' — Plus: Watch Dan Confront Leslie in Sneak Peek

As recently as eight weeks ago, the most stable relationship on American Crime was the chummy dynamic between Headmaster Leslie Graham and Coach Dan Sullivan.

But in our exclusive sneak peek at Wednesday’s season finale (ABC, 10/9c), that camaraderie between colleagues is nowhere to be found.

In the scene embedded above, Timothy Hutton’s basketball coach pays Leslie a visit at Leyland, begging for some help with his daughter’s recent legal ordeal — but he quickly realizes that cashing in favors with the administration isn’t as easy as it once was.

According to showrunner John Ridley, Wednesday’s season ender will bring “some kind of closure” to each lingering storyline, though he can’t guarantee a strictly happy ending for everyone.

“These are much more emotional resolutions. We wanted to tell a story that had a horizon at the end of it, and we think we did,” Ridley tells us. “We are moving toward a sense of justice. People tend to get what they deserve, but what’s deserved differs for each individual.”

Press PLAY on the video above for a sneak peek at American Crime‘s finale, then hit the comments with your hopes for the episode.

1. Mik says:

I have enjoyed every minute of this season of American Crime. So rare to see a tv show tackle such serious and complicated subjects and do it with such class. I’m looking forward to the final episode and hoping for a happy ending for some of these characters.

2. wrstlgirl says:

There seems to be an awful lot to sort out in one final hour. Looking forward to seeing how it ends.

3. Great season for one of the best shows. Felicity Huffman has the Emmy locked up this year. And the kid who plays Taylor deserves a nod, too.

4. mary says:

Chummy dynamic? How thoroughly were you watching? Leslie was in charge, Dan was basically a minion. He did what she told him, until he didn’t want to anymore.

5. misery chick says:

WHOA. Had to stop and rewind 4-5 times to make sure I caught Every. Single. Word. and how it was said. Again, whoa.

I’m ashamed to admit that I kept thinking,”I wish Dan would shoot Leslie right now” 😱

Amazing acting by all, but my fave is, and always will be,

💕💕💕💕💕 TIMOTHY HUTTON 💕💕💕💕💕

Can only hope that KARMA gets Leslie, big time! Probably won’t get to see THAT ending, darn!

6. TD says:

I was confused by an important plot point last week. I can’t understand how Leslie as headmistress managed to fire the board. In most nonprofit and school organizations that I know, a “CEO” of an organization (in this case Leslie) serves at the pleasure of the board as an employee of the organization, not the other way around. Usually someone like Leslie would be an ex-officio member of the board if a member at all. I understand that Leslie was playing politics and was pressuring the board president to believe that he and the board were the ones who were in trouble once Sebastian released their emails online, and that she went behind their backs and somehow got an agreement with the state senator (I believe it was?) to serve as the trustee of the school once the board resigned. But I don’t understand how Leslie could act as the chair of the meeting or even call for a motion for the board to dissolve. This may all seem like minutiae, but this show has generally been very good about accuracy of detail.

7. Kathleen Hanni says:

I will be sorely disappointed with the finale if “Leslie Graham” is still the headmaster of Leland Academy. Both season 1 and season 2 so far have been action packed, drama filled, but absolutely NO sense of justice in either season.

I hope that it’s revealed that she leaked the e-mails about Taylor’s mom, and that she’s the villain. IF not I’m done with American Crime.