Damien Premiere

Damien Recap: Was A&E's Omen Continuation 'All for You'?

The Antichrist walks into a church…

No, that’s not the opening line of a terrible standup comedy set, but it does describe the beginning and the end (see what I did there) of the pilot for A&E’s new drama series Damien, a continuation of the 1976 horror classic The Omen.

Damien finds the demon spawn from the movie all grown up as a risk-taking photojournalist (Bradley James) who — in the midst of a chaotic assignment in Syria — gets a message from an elderly (and very creepy) old woman, in a perfect American accent: “It’s all for you, Damien!” she says, before slipping into a foreign tongue, getting clobbered with a rock and then disappearing with just a trace of her blood across our protagonist’s face.

Turns out, this is just the first step in the unwitting fella’s journey to raising the absolute worst kind of hell on earth.

Soon, he’s fending off slinky interest from a wealthy corporate fan (Barbara Hershey, having a blast in the role), trying to figure out why there’s always been “a dark cloud” hanging over him, and watching folks who help his investigation meet terrible fates. (A Biblical scholar who encourages Damien to say three Hail Marys gets his throat ripped out by a pack of Rottweilers, while Damien’s wide-eyed love interest suffocates in a sinkhole in one of New York City’s warehouse districts.)

Damien winds up staggering tearfully into an empty church and wondering what he’s done to deserve this, but the only answer he gets is the dramatic crumbling of a giant Crucifix. (Thanks for nothing, God!)

Outside the church, who does Damien see but the old Syrian woman? She rips out a lock of his hair before escaping into a city that doesn’t really look much like New York. When Damien gets home, he finds the woman’s face in every single one of his gritty, war-time photographs from around the world. (And you thought “Where’s Waldo?” was intense.) Oh, and if that’s not bad enough, his new bald patch reveals a “666” birthmark!

Looks like this’ll be the start of a beautiful friendship demonic awakening.

What did you think of Damien? Grade the premiere in our poll below, then share your thoughts in the comments!

1. Lindsey says:

I loved it! I’d keep watching for Bradley James, anyway, but I thought it was great. It is a slow build, but pilots usually are. I guarantee that the Damien in tonight’s episode will be completely different than the Damien we’ll see in the finale episode.

2. Dave says:

So boring. Even moreso than most pilots. I would rather A&E renewed the underrated The Returned than tried with this.

3. Suso says:

What a trainwreck.

4. AngelWasHere says:

I liked it. It wasn’t bad. I do miss the The Returned, but it’s interesting and I’ll give it another watch.

5. tallsy says:

There’s some good stuff here with the spookiness and rich people trying to take over the world. I do need a better sense of what Damien is supposed to do. With all the ambivalence and lack of groundwork with Damien, Satan’s made more work for himself than he needed.

6. N says:

It was nowhere near as bad as y’all review made it seem

7. Phoenix5634 says:

It was pretty good, it kept me interested, I’ll probably give it another go next week

8. CK says:

I’ll give it a few more episodes, but I thought it was all over the place, overstuffed, and badly paced. Overall, I’d give it a B-/C. The deaths were pointless. The lead character was 2 dimensional and the acting wavered from time to time. If they would slow down and develop the characters a bit more, I’d probably care more. It just felt like they raced from plot point to plot point to connect to the film and because of that the characters suffered.

9. As a die-hard fan of the original Omen films, I was skeptical about this show. However, while it certainly isn’t as good as the films, this episode was better than I thought it would be. I will continue to watch it (via my trusty DVR). I’d give it a solid B+. It has potential.

10. Katie says:

Yeah I agree with the other poster, it was no where near as bad as y’all had painted it being. I mean, it was rushed and I do think the characters need more development but I think a D- was a bit unfair.

11. ninamags says:

It was sufficiently spooky that maybe I’ll be watching during the day!!

Hehe. I haven’t seen the movie in forever but seeing those clips reminded me enough of it.

I miss Gregory Peck.

12. Gerald says:

I’m in. Well made. Well acted. I loved the build of the creepiness throughout the episode.. The old lady, the rottweilers, and yikes the crumbling crucifix. I want Damien to overcome!!!! I will keep watching.

13. Kevin Fowler says:

I understand Damien is supposed to be the anti-christ. However it would far more interesting if Damien chose to fight that path. And try to teach the Devils minions a lesson.

14. Cee says:

I liked it! Spooky, dramatic and interesting. Haven’t seen the movie so I’m glad they added the flash back… Thought the acting was pretty good though there wasn’t a lot to work with…. Hope the next one is better…. And more action packed and character driven

15. Daisy says:

It has potential. As others said, not nearly as bad as that review made it seem.

16. adr says:

Not bad. I liked the fact that parts of the original movie were added as memories for Damien.

• It takes a different spin from the original story but adding pieces from the original keeps it grounded but keeps you wondering what is going to happen next. I thought the scene where his woman friend gets sucked into a quicksand type death was rather cheesy but all-in-all it has been decent so far.

17. chloek says:

Wow, it was disjointed, random and pretty much ridiculous. Very disappointing.

18. Mara says:

Sorry but I don`t believe TVline’s critics any more and don’t advise others to try either!

19. Kelly Jason says:

I’m hooked after just one episode! I enjoyed it immensely and am looking forward to seeing how it builds from here.

20. Musk says:

The tv series the omen was awesome an was really looking forward as all i talk to there 735k i believe someone’s doing this to certain shows. See shows on that channel i no the ones that have the channel on must be sleeping for sure seems all the good shows get canceled like the new exorcist series watch they will cancel it with some bull story or low views an i heard at least 50 people taking about it an how awesome the series is they cancel all the good stuff saying bad reviews yet shows that could bore a elephant will run 1000 years there all clowns an think these old farts need to be replaced an need new blood Making decision’s in these places.

21. paul.maze says:

Damien should go on not drop it not fare at all.its one of the best tv show of all time i am 53 so seenn alot of shows .please bring it back please please