The Walking Dead Recap

The Walking Dead Recap: That’s How the Cookie Crumbles

The “Not Tomorrow Yet” episode of The Walking Dead started off so cheerfully — with Carol baking and distributing beet and acorn cookies like she was Alexandria’s own Mrs. Fields — that nobody could’ve blamed you if for a minute you’d thought you’d tuned in to the wrong show. But, of course, by the end of the hour, disaster once again had struck our regulars, some harder than others. Which of them wound up in a situation that not even snack food could improve? Read on…

‘JUST PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH, JERK’ | Between her cookies and her flirtation with Tobin, Carol was having such a nice morning… then Rick & Co. returned from The Hilltop with (literal) dark clouds as well as provisions, and Morgan insisted on trying anew to talk with her. Foremost on his mind: Why hadn’t anyone tattled about the Wolf he’d been trying to rehabilitate? Upon learning that she had asked Rosita and the others to keep their lips zipped, he suggested that, if Carol went on carrying the secret, “it’s kind of like you did it, too.” And her day just kept getting worse…

‘WE KILL THEM ALL’ | At Rick’s town hall meeting, he explained to his fellow Alexandrians the deal that Maggie had made with The Hilltop and laid out his plan to take down the Saviors. Any objections? Just one — Morgan’s, naturally. He argued that, if Rick was sure they would win, then all they had to do was tell that to the Saviors. “It’s a way out,” he said, “for them and for us.” Unfortunately for Morgan, Rick didn’t want to give away their advantage (the element of surprise). And nobody was buying what Morgan was selling, anyway. He didn’t have to participate in the attack, Rick said. But if he wanted to stay in Alexandria, he would have to accept that the Saviors were toast.

‘YOU’RE A MOM TO MOST OF THE PEOPLE HERE’ | That night, Maggie told Glenn that, during the assault on the Saviors, she’d guard the perimeter, which would be at least marginally safer than being on the frontlines. But, since she was the one who’d sealed Rick’s deal with Gregory, she felt like, do or die, she had to go on the mission. Meanwhile, Carol — unable to sleep after tallying the number of people she’d had to kill — went for a walk… which led to Tobin’s porch. At first, she continued to flirt by withholding her cigarette and calling him an a–hole. Eventually, though, their conversation turned serious. “You can do things that just terrify me,” he admitted. Yet the reason he thought she was able to do them was heartbreaking and beautiful: because in spite of Sophia’s death, she was still a mom. That’s what made it possible for her to do the really hard stuff, he said. Did he see her as a mom? No, she was something else to him, he replied so sweetly that I doubt he’ll survive the season. (At least they got to kiss.)

‘WHY ARE DINGLEBERRIES BROWN?’ | While Hilltop denizen Andy gave Rick and Daryl as much intel as he could about the Saviors’ compound, Abraham unceremoniously moved out on Rosita, explaining his change of heart thusly: “When I first met you, I thought you were the last woman on earth. You’re not.” (Wow. That’s quite a catch you have there, Sasha.) Elsewhere, Tara blurted out to Denise that she loved her, and though it was obvious that the feeling was mutual, the doc declined to say it back until her girlfriend had returned — not only from the attack on the Saviors but from her two-week run with Heath, too.

‘THERE’S NO TURNING BACK NOW’ | The following day, the strike team began scouting around the Saviors’ HQ and making big revelations to one another. Gabriel told Rick that he still wore his priest outfit because that was still who he was. “And,” he added, “it’ll be harder for them to see me in the dark.” (That has to be a first, right? A joke from Gabriel?!?) Still pissed in the wake of being dumped, Rosita admitted to Carol that she’d been damn close to ratting out Morgan during the town hall meeting. And while searching for a walker whose head they could pass off as Gregory’s, Glenn and Heath confessed to one another that neither of them had had to kill the living before. Also, they agreed, killing sucks. Hilariously, when Jesus noted that the Gregory stand-in’s nose wasn’t quite right, Rick beat the crap out of the severed head. That way, he reasoned (a) the Saviors wouldn’t be able to tell what the schnoz looked like, and (b) Andy could claim that he broke his hand pummeling the “deceased.” Stunned, Andy cracked, “The Saviors are scary, but this [Negan] prick’s got nothing on you.”

‘ANNOUNCE YOURSELF, A–HOLE’ | Before dawn, Rick & Co. set their plan in motion — with one slight alteration: Carol insisted on staying behind at the perimeter to watch over Maggie. In spite of that, it all went really well… at first. The fake Gregory head fooled Negan’s guards, got Hilltop hostage Craig sprung and allowed our heroes to enter the compound and tiptoe from room to room, killing Saviors in their sleep. As Glenn claimed his first victim, he wept quietly, then spared Heath the horror of having to do the same by killing his intended victim for him. (Of note: Before they left that bedroom, Glenn became fixated on a series of Polaroids of people whose heads had been bashed in. Foreshadowing, anyone?) Outside at the getaway vehicle, Tara confessed to Gabriel that she’d only said “I love you” to Denise because she hadn’t wanted to disclose what she’d really been thinking in that moment — that she’d been involved in an attack like this before (with the Governor). But Tara did, in fact, love Denise, so it was all okay. As Jesus put it, “You know what you’re fighting for.”

‘BLOOD’S COMING’ | While the strike team was searching the compound for the Saviors’ arsenal, the one light sleeper among the villains got a rude awakening and sounded the alarm. Hearing it at the perimeter, Maggie wanted to make a beeline for the action. But Carol, inadvertently proving Tobin’s mom theory correct, insisted, “You are staying here” (and in such a way that it was impossible not to hear “young lady” at the end of the sentence). Back at the compound, before Jesus entered the fray, he sent Andy back to The Hilltop with Craig so that, no matter what, Alexandria’s deal with Gregory would remain in effect. And, though an injured Savior blathered the usual mad warnings to Gabriel, the preacherman just coolly prayed over him, then finished him off, throwing in an “amen” for good measure.

‘LOWER YOUR GUN, PRICK’ | By the time the sun had risen, it appeared that the mission had been a total success. (Miraculously, none of our heroes were so much as injured during the battle.) However, shell-shocked after blowing away heaven knows how many Saviors through the arsenal’s door, Heath didn’t want to return to Alexandria for a while, as Glenn suggested. He just wanted to hit the road with Tara as planned. Michonne was troubled, too (prophetically, we know): Which of them was Negan? she wondered aloud to Rick. Just then, a Savior came hauling ass out of the compound on a motorcycle. Rosita shot him off of it, and Daryl was demanding to know where he’d gotten the — Daryl’s? — bike when a woman’s voice on the guy’s walkie-talkie instructed them to lay down their arms. Why would they do a crazy thing like that? Because, the female Savior said, they had Maggie and Carol!

So, are you liking the “new” Gabriel? At the end, Morgan was building a cage like the one Eastman had kept him in, yes? Your critiques below, please!

1. Shaw says:

This show is getting to Intense for my Heart!!!!

2. Matt C. says:

This episode was CRAZY! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And that ending had me screaming at the TV. This back half of the season has been nonstop amazing. The build-up to Negan’s arrival is just perfect.

3. nurredin says:

This is really getting old and boring. Every two or tree weeks there’s a new villain and a new danger to one of the stars.It’s the same story with different “bad guys”.

• Chris Norris says:

Then stop watching it, stop bitching, and bringing everyone else down with your negativity.

• Abbie says:

You took the words right of of my mouth. We enjoy it and will continue to watch this amazing story line until the series ends. The rest of you can move on!!

• nurredin says:

If my complaint about unimaginative writing is “bringing people down with negativity” you need to get a grip on reality and get a life.

• shellinaya says:

Negativity???? This is a show about people doing mass murder every effing week! THAT’s negativity! The show has lost its heart and soul and is now just a murder fest, nearly every week. It SUCKS. Sorry if that brings you down, but I have watched this show since it started and it used to be a good story with characters you cared about. Now it’s just a MURDER FEST. You have to be mentally ill to like to watch that.

• Roger says:

Stfu an lay off the crack pipe

• Dr. Mantis Toboggan says:

Couldn’t agree more, why can’t they just pick flowers or go for a picnic? I’ve heard in the finale there is a hell of a line dancing competition.

• tvjunkie says:

Really? Your complaint is there is too much danger in a zombie infested world? I think you’re probably watching the wrong show then. Perhaps you should find a show with kids playing with kittens and puppies.

• Mike M says:

No his complaint is there is too much REPETITION. The danger could be there in more different ways, or at least they could be trying to do some different things, or to get to different places. Plenty of danger in that – and way more exciting than Bad Human Group A / Walker 1039 – Walker 1086 / Bad Human Group B / Death Of Minor Cast Member 85 / Walker 1087 – Walker 1154 /… repeat repeat repeat repeat

• Hedy S. says:

I agree. It seems like it is the same story over and over, ad nauseum, ever since the days of the Governor. I have not watched the past two episodes. I’ll just read the recaps here, then watch the season finale. We all knew, for months, that there was going to be yet another group, with the evildoer Negan, thanks to the overabundance of reviews, recaps, etc. of TWD.

• Keith says:

So what do you suggest they do?

• shellinaya says:

I do hope next season is the last.

• Phoenix5634 says:

How about you just stop watching, why are you hoping for it to end if you apparently don’t like it anymore? it shouldn’t matter to you, so quit your trolling. Many other people still enjoy this show and hope it continues for a long time yet.

4. Lexi says:

Holy Crap so.crazy!!! I don’t think I breathed the whole episode. OK Morgan is getting on my last nerve! Building a cage for who? He has to go!!!

5. David says:

This was like camping…. In Tents!

Probably 1st episode where I had to cover my eyes… heart pounding… and actually had anxiety over what was going on… 30 minutes later still trying to unwind… one of the best episodes imo.

• wrstlgirl says:

Wow really? I thought it was pretty tame up until the last few minutes.

• Jack says:

The intensity was building from the start. I really liked the fact they kept it like this. What an ending.!!

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, the build up was great. You just knew sh*t was gonna hit the fan, LOL!!

• David says:

That’s what was intense about it… The slow build up – With the start I was totally expecting a filler show – a Keeping up with the Carol show, the comedy aspect, I was even laughing out loud cuz I thought the start was just too damn funny for Walking Dead… And then it just went from there – The last 20 minutes, was just the complete opposite. Covering my eyes wasn’t from the gore, I was actually for the first time worried for some of the cast… Each time they walked into to a room and stood above someone ready to knife them, I kept thinking that the saviors were going to open their eyes, or that the alarm would have been pulled while someone was standing above them and got killed instead – So it was more out of worry for them… But yeah, I guess for the most part it was just the complete way the episode built from something you didn’t expect to what it was…

6. Molly says:

Oof that was intense, i need a smoke break

7. AngelWasHere says:

“Why are dingleberries brown? That’s just the way s**t is.”-My favorite line. But ha I knew it was too easy. They shouldn’t have dropped their guards or let Maggie come.

8. Jp says:

I loved the Boondock Saints homage with father Gabriel.

9. Moriah says:

I hate to be one of those people but I just don’t know if I can keep watching if they end up killing Carol. Yes, I know what kind of show it is and that nobody is safe but it doesn’t change the fact that you get more emotionally invested in some characters than others and I adore everything about Carol.

10. Mary Burrell says:

Good show hated Abraham broke Rosita’s heart. Carol left a cookie on Sam’s grave.

11. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! And did anyone else notice the wall of photos, of what I’m guessing are Lucille’s victims ??!( specifically who seen them?!). And the people left afterwards who have Maggie and Carol now, none of them are Negan.. makes me wonder, if; 1 this was like an outpost for Negans group, or 2 if this was just another group who was pretending to be the saviours..basically doing to Hilltop, what the Saviours were already doing to them. Anyway really intense episode! Can’t wait for next week!

12. flower1petals says:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but Father Gabe was awesome. He’s done a complete 180. I don’t wish him dead every week like I used to.

(Also you have done too many interviews with Andy, he and his character have become one and the same in this article- lol )

13. Spence says:

Well, if the last hostage negotiation serves as any indication, next week will be a traumatic one… #BethDeservedBetter #NotOverIt but in all seriousness, this was another great, stressful episode!

14. Phoenix5634 says:

I think Morgan’s building a prison. You could see the bars on the piece he was welding, and then the door frame he had already welded together behind him.

15. Jack says:

Abraham has crossed the line with me. Rosita is quite devoted to him. He’s going down soon.

• Alright then......... says:

He absolutely has. Telling a woman “When I first met you, I thought you were the last woman on earth. You’re not.” That was really, really cold. He really doesn’t deserve to be with any woman. I hope Sasha knows better than to entertain Abe’s BS. That will make me see red.

• Jack says:

Amen!!!

• sterling says:

Completely uncalled for. He could break up with her without being a complete jerk about it. Saying that took a character I use to like and made me hope he is the one to die soon.

• Shelly says:

Better than telling her that he fell for someone else.

• Jack says:

What’s the difference? It was a lie anyway. Yea, Sasha is good too but rosita is or was his woman. Lost respect for him.

• Bwhit says:

I think It would have been better to tell her that than the lines he did pull…. That was just mean.

• Alright then........... says:

Breaking up with someone is about what you say and how you say it. Telling Rosita that ‘he fell for someone else’ is better since Rosita would’ve gotten the answer to the question she asked him ‘why he was breaking up with her’.
          Doesn’t matter now he said what he said and looked like a complete jerk ward. Well, karma is a you know what. He’ll get his.

• shellinaya says:

Totally agree… the guy is a total jerk. Like most of the remaining survivors. I don’t care about any of them anymore.

16. George says:

Definitely not Negans people.Group of wannabes.Unless Negans a woman!!Kicking ass every week AMC.

• Tyler says:

Is it possible that the woman on the walkie talkie is Negan? I think it’s something the writers would do because they rarely follow the comics directly, if so Carol and or Maggie will die soon. If it is just an outpost then let’s just say when Negan and his main men turn up, it’s not going to go well.

• Jack says:

If they were rogues then why would they be on the same channel as the outpost, but on the other hand they had time to stalk them and to see that they used them and just matched the channel before Rick and company arrived and maybe they are another of the ” your world’s about to get a whole lot bigger” crowd… I’m leaning towards rogues.

• Keith says:

Negan will be played by Jeffery Dean Morgan.The woman is Alicia Witt

17. wrstlgirl says:

They are certainly doing a great job of setting this up for heartbreak. You know our group isn’t getting out of this without at least one or two casualties. Would Carol sacrifice herself for Maggie, or maybe even Glenn so they can have their family? Would Morgan sacrifice himself for Carol? I very clearly heard the Daryl and Carol shippers crying in their sleep over her hooking up with Tobin. But honestly they I can’t remember the last time those two had a meaningful scene together.

• Jack says:

Good question. I think carol is in it to win it. She is unlikely to go. ( in my opinion ). Darryl? NOT.. Maggie is too important. I think Glenn gets it and so does Abe. Not necessarily in that order.

18. Bwhit says:

The build up to meeting Negan is almost more intense than him actually being there in my opinion. Morgan is getting on my last nerve, I get he wants to do things differently but that’s not going to work with a group that demanded the head of another Groups’s leader…. Obviously they won’t be willing to sit down for an afternoon chat. This may just be me, but if a guy brought up dingleberries and said he realized I’m not the last woman on Earth to be with while breaking up with me, I wouldn’t fight him leaving (Abraham does have some good one-liners though).

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I’m not sure why they wrote the break up that way. I mean I get it, if you’ve had an epiphany and realize you’re not where you should be then by all means get out but that was just cold man. I can’t help but think that he might end up taking a bullet for her before this is all over.

• Bwhit says:

Agree, and whoever came up with the idea of Eugene standing there in that T-Shirt deserves a raise…. That was awesome.

• Jack says:

They’ve done a great job of masking what’s next. We like to speculate and that’s all we can do. I kinda like it that way. Lol. Keeps it real.

19. Allie says:

I still don’t quite understand WHY they had to do this. They KNOW Negan’s group are brutal killers. Alexandria used to have plenty of food so what happened? Why in the hell was Maggie allowed to come? Seems like a lot of stupid mistakes are being made. And killing people in their sleep? That makes them just as terrible as the other peopl that have attacked them. Don’t get me wrong, lol, I’m no Morgan & understand that they need to kill but this was just wrong. So much so that when one of the main characters die soon – I think they crossed a line and deserve it.

20. Great episode but one thing bothers me about Rick’s plans. He never plays defense as well as offense. Why wasn’t Maggie and/or Carol ON TOP of the RV? Better cover, better sightlines and with a rifle, perfect sniper nest. Would have prevented them from being taken. Loved Gabriel finally getting with the program.

21. betty says:

I don’t want the walking dead to ever end. I love all the characters. It always puts me on the edge of my seat. love it love it love it

22. Yuri Kennedy says:

This seems like an outpost–no women, children, plenty of firearms, and barracks type sleeping arrangements. A defensible place to receive goods and send enforcers out of. Why so many vehicles? Rick’s group doesn’t learn any new intel– who is Megan, how many Saviors are there, how do they know they killed everyone–could somebody have escaped to report to Negan? Isn’t one of the women holding Maggie and Carol a Survivor escapee who, with her husband, stole Daryl’s bike and crossbow after he helped them hide from the Saviors? So she either re-upped with the Saviors, or she’s an independent wanting the spoils of war for her group, in which case they don’t care about trading hostages. Except to continue the belief that they are Saviors. Carol was smoking a cigarette, smoking will kill you Tobin says to her. Same thing Carol said to an Alexandrian woman when the wolf attack began. But, Carol killed her, not a Wolf. Abraham can’t embrace the future, bringing children into the world. He is wistful about leaving his interest in Sasha unrequited. His harsh breakup with Rosita is his way of making his departure easier. He may have some premonition of dying, or plans on sacrificing himself. The whole attack seemed too easy. I think there’s a spy in Alexandria,, Enid, remember JSS? Negan is ruthless, did he sacrifice his men to check out Rick’s strike team?

23. Shell says:

Horrible show…. this whole season has sucked. This show was just about murder, plain and simple. So the future is about a bunch of murderers and everyone sucks. Disgusting premise for a show.

• maritimecolt says:

You’ve already said you hate the show. Move on to something you do like. Life’s too short to spend energy complaining about something and you aren’t going to change anyone’s mind.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Such a simple mind…

24. Kristine says:

They have become civilized walkers. They have to kill live humans to eat, as Rick put it.