Last Week Tonight With John Oliver Donald Trump

Is John Oliver Our Best Newsman? Why Was Kara Less Super? Suits Prison Break? Botched House? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The Vampire Diaries, Gotham, Mom and House of Cards!

1 | Given Fuller House‘s superb job in recreating Full House‘s iconic kitchen and living room sets, were you a bit surprised to see they got the construction of Nicky and Alex’s room — which was on the wrong side of the attic, by the way — all wrong in Episode 2?Fuller House

2 | Can The Vampire Diaries and The Originals do a crossover every week? And what are your theories about Klaus’ disappearance from New Orleans, as revealed during TVD‘s flash forward to three years from now? (Is he dead? In hiding? Drowning his sorrows that the show is over?)

3 | Did Blue Bloods fake you out into thinking Danny and Linda were fast approaching a split? (And is anyone kinda hoping they eventually are?) And when Whoopi Goldberg pops up on a show like this, does it remind you how much you enjoy the View panelist as a proper actress?Kate Winslet Oscars

4 | After her unfortunate Oscars dress (not to mention last year’s yellow Emmy Awards frock), can we disqualify Heidi Klum from judging Project Runway? On another fashion note, did Kate Winslet wear the Blood & Oil poster to the ceremony?

5 | Given the luxuriousness of Jesus’ mane on The Walking Dead, can we assume that conditioner is among the supplies that The Hilltop possesses in the greatest abundance? If so, could he please share some with Daryl?

6 | Following Last Week Tonight‘s acclaimed #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain segment, can we all agree that John Oliver is doing a better job reporting on Donald Trump’s history of false claims and failed business ventures than actual news outlets are?

7 | After successfully warding off alien foes for the past 14 weeks, why did Supergirl‘s super-strength/speed suddenly fail her while trying to grab an in-flight missile?

Castle8 | Is Castle‘s Espo moonlighting as captain of the Enterprise?

| Between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s “J.A.P. Battle” and the Les Misérables-esque water anthem, was Monday’s episode the show’s most creative yet?

10 | Now that we’ve seen them both in action, who has the cooler cold gun: Gotham‘s Mr. Freeze or Legends of Tomorrow‘s Captain Cold?

11 | Did it take the NCIS agents twice as long as you did to realize that a medaled marksman wouldn’t need three shots to hit center mass a grown man from 20 feet away?

12 | Did you find yourself forgetting about your dislike of Will Schuester after seeing a scruffy Matthew Morrison on Younger Suits (and soon to be on The Good Wife)?

13 | Do you suspect that, some way, somehow, Suits will devise a way to get Mike out of prison early and (some way, somehow) back to being a lawyer? And is this TV’s new prettiest wedding dress?

14 | How loudly did you shout “Noooo!!!” when the Mysteries of Laura finale revealed its final, visual twist?

15 | Which CBS primetime/The Price Is Right integration was better: Scorpion‘s or 2 Broke Girls‘?

16 | Could American Idol please move the results — or at least the Bottom 3 announcement — to the top of the show, thus removing the cloud of nervous trepidation that seemingly hangs over every American Idolperformance? Also, how did J.Lo make this face through Lee Jean’s entire performance, then give him positive feedback?

17 | On How to Get Away With Murder, aren’t there an awful lot of assumptions being made about Philip’s “serial killer-ness”? And with all the back-stabbing, plotting and cover-ups going on in these characters’ lives, how come no one seems to ever lock their doors?!

18 | Memo to The Family‘s dad and lady cop: Maybe an interrogation room that has a one-way mirror is not the best place to have adulterous, ethically questionable sex?

19 | Did Legends of Tomorrow have you assuming that Mick was only pretending to go along with the pirates? And who else went Googling to see if that was Kate Mara (or a sibling) playing Rip’s wife?

20 | On Mom, did Bonnie’s played-for-laughs cancer scare feel poorly timed, immediately following as it did a tragic OD storyline? And given how infrequent their appearances have become, is it time to remove Violet and Roscoe from the opening title sequence?

21 | Riddle us this, House of CardsHouse of Cards viewers: In Season 4, Episode 1, why didn’t Claire simply order Doug to wait outside while she met with the congresswoman and her daughter privately?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Carolyn says:

Oh man. That’s the first thing I thought of when I watched Castle. Glad it wasn’t just me.

2. herman1959 says:

(17) Yes, the writers on HTGAWM are getting sloppy – everyone, including Annalise, scatters because they think that Phillip is after them, but she leaves the door unlocked? And, BTW, how did Bonnie have time to set up the recording in the basement?

3. Famini says:

I’m so with you on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that I’m wondering if you’ve been reading my Twitter feed.

4. Casto says:

6. Last Week Tonight has the best in-depth reporting of any news show on TV, which is both great and sad.

• mackmack says:

John is on point weekly but his take down of Trump was epic. He presents facts and reason. Things we are not getting from the media

5. Jane says:

I Love Daryl but seriously can Rick and Carl hold him down while Carol gives him a haircut?

6. Amanda says:

21. Because it would have been clear to them at that point that the president wasn’t on board.

7. Rob says:

I didn’t get Kate Mara from her at but I got Sarah Silverman meets Lake Bell.

8. Gerald says:

6. Don’t normally watch, but this 20 min segment was pure Gold.
    7. It bugged me too. You know she could go a lot faster. and once the onboard guidance was off line she could have redirected it to space.
    13. Hard to imagine them getting him out early and him getting to be a lawyer. At this point he would have to only be a “consultant” with the firm. Have to say very disappointed EVERYONE split from Pearson Specter Litt. It was a ghost town. Hopefuly some come back.
    15. Hoping we have not seen the end of the PIR Storyline. Sophie was still in line. I suspect next week we will see her on it. (Or a month from now we see the episode on tv when they are back in new york.

• Gerald says:

6 and all that way to find out about Brainiac 8 and they didn’t push for any more information? Wow all the info in the Fortress would really help the DEO, but you know this is a one time visit.

• Mary says:

Yeah, I’m surprised that Kara didn’t ask Kelex if it knew anything about Myriad and why her mother’s holo almost went into meltdown mode when she asked her about it.

• Phun says:

If Kara did ask Kelex about Myriad, it would have caused it go into meltdown, therefore melting the fortress of solitude. :) Superman would probably gone postal once he found out about that. LOL.

9. Kim R says:

1. Fuller House – I must say I didn’t really remember the nursery until seeing your picture insert. I know there was a lot of cheese in the Fuller House episodes but I so enjoyed the corn. :) It was exactly what it needed to be for this viewer.
    3. Blue Bloods – Regarding Whoopi…right!!?? I can barely watch her on The View and IF I tune in I frequently end up muting her (and Michelle Collins). But when she shows up in an acting capacity, she wows me every time.
    6. John Oliver – YES!!! Why aren’t the actual news outlets doing this? This could have been going on from the beginning.
    8. Castle – That’s what I said!! haha
    16. American Idol – I’m not invested in this season so it is hard to care. I can’t believe there are a couple of girls that aren’t even in the running which makes it hard to trust the process now. Disappointing.
    21. House of Cards – we haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. It just came up on my Netflix this morning.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

Number 6 – John Oliver is the best whatever jokes he could make fun of. Number 15 – the million dollar question is how long The Price is Right will end? Bob Barker is a way better host than Drew Carey and to those Facebook people out there LEAVE BARKER ALONE. Does everybody want Price is Right to get cancelled maybe next season?

11. Luis says:

The switch to commercial free HBO, where he can spend 18-20 minutes focused on a single topic, has made Oliver our premier news satirist

12. Wordsmith says:

My favorite part about Supergirl was that Winn, a newspaper IT guy with no prior experience, is suddenly declared the leading expert on alien computer programs.
    Also, when stuff first starts going wrong, Cat sort of waves her hand at him and says, “You. Fix the entire Internet,” and he immediately has every traffic camera in the entire city pulled up on his computer like it’s no big deal.

13. NC says:

Yes to Fuller House. As a 30 year old man I became unreasonably irritated and noticed right away that they got that bedroom all wrong. How could that have missed that!?!?!

• Anonymous says:

Given the number of times the kitchen was destroyed, I think there is a story to why the room changed during the missing years. The show also ignored Joey’s spouse and kids so maybe we will get answers next season. It cannot be a full house spin off with kids sharing a room.

14. neaorlean says:

13. Nope, still Petra.

15. farleyc says:

#6 YES! YES! YES! TOTALLY AGREE!

16. Mary says:

Yeah, I sort of thought that Mick was just putting on an act with the pirates, but also thought about what Sara had said to Snart about Mick being in a very dark place and that not being likely to change soon.

17. LADY_in_MD says:

#14 I’m still not over it if she had just told him he’s feelings two episodes ago…my heart broke at the end I will say these past two episodes were great and the end of watch scene had me in tears really hoping for NBC to renew Laura!

18. Bwhit says:

2) I think he’s still around but only Elijah and Haley know. At least that’s what I hope. I really didn’t like that they did that because now it’s just like the ‘Who’s in the grave?’ on Arrow. To me, it is a glaring distraction that gets in the way of the development of storylines.

19) I knew he wasn’t pretending because of what happened with Leonard last episode, and then Rip basically telling him he was brought along because of Snart but he wasn’t actually wanted. Not saying I agree with his actions, but he is a loose cannon so it made sense. I really thought that I had missed the TVline article that Kate Mara was guest starring when Rip’s wife first appeared :).

19. A fan of TV says:

1. Immediately noticed the Fuller House bedroom sitch, and knew they just needed some kind of set-up to push Jackson and Max into the same room. But it’s still seco ndary to the fact that their house doesn’t have an attic, period. I suppose if you’re inventing an attic, you can reinvent the floorplan to satisfy plot ;)

6. Yes. Praise HBO for John Oliver. And Bill Maher. Any Americans who want or need lodging in Canada in the event of a Trump presidential win, I live in a city with horrendously overpriced real estate and need someone to help split the rent on my 1bdrm ;)

• A fan of TV says:

If I’m not mistaken (will rewatch go be sure) the attic stairs aren’t even in the same place in the fake attic

20. Jamey says:

i think on AI, that they know who and which singers they want to pass through before ANY of them even sing. Its a popularity contest. And I don’t think our votes matter all that much. I think they are all talented but obviously some more than others. Lee Jean, is good….but not worthy of continuing on in the competition with some of these powerhouses!

21. Rachel says:

I thought the same thing while watching Fuller House. I thought it was strange that suddenly the room as on the other side and smaller. So strange!

22. MSW says:

6.) John Oliver used to be great at delivering research based news; with brilliant humor. However the past season he incorporated less and less research and more claims based solely on his opinion, which was hugely disappointing to me since Colbert left the Colbert Report, and I’m not a huge fan of Trevor Noah. That being said, his Donald Trump segment was spot on. It was not only refreshing to see him back to his older quality, but also to see someone in the news world intelligently pointing out the flaws of Trump’s candidacy.

• cc says:

Yes, I feel the exact same way. He seems to become more and more biased without actually reporting the stories with humor as he used to in the first season. His Donald Trump segment last Sunday was good, though.

23. Mom and the cancer story. You should recover in AA, this is just starting to seem typical. Most people that drink to this point have put off seeing doctors same as dealing with issues of family. Somebody is always dying. I ‘ve seen more brain cancer victims than I care too. All of a sudden the body is cleared of alcohol so a doctor can actually see those diseases to treat a woman and ailments come out where they are noticed. I have to wonder why Alvin ( Kevin Pollak) never noticed that growth on Allisons rear end. But as usual, you can mark it up to all the drama focused on that guy. Another typical situation for women in treatment. Spending time ignoring. denying or deflecting, running away emotionally if not physically or just focusing on get the kids or job until she’s run herself into the ground. You know, Type A personalities that go until something slams into them. AA seems like the place to clean up your act before God brings them home. Seriously.there are a lot of people in those last few weeks of life left to their kidneys or heart or pancreas that you have fellowship with and two weeks later they died. So, don’t be surprised if the girls go to lots of memorial dinners, funerals or you like a new character that kills over 15 minutes in. AA is the last resort for many that would have lived much longer with them had they gotten in sooner.They still haven’t been on retreats, gone to explore many other meetings or held area seminars where you run into other groups of friends, doing things with strangers. This show will never run out of material.

24. Annie says:

I thought once Nina left Vampire Diaries than the two shows should have merged.
    ….
    Or honestly just move Caroline and Bonnie down to New Orleans

25. Shar says:

#4 – Yes, finally someone has been brave enough to put in print what most of us have been thinking, Based on her runway fashions, who would take Heidi’s comments seriously?

26. Shar says:

I have an industry question and since I know lots of insiders read this I thought I’d post it here.
    When an actor is also listed as an executive producer, how much input and control would they really have over character development etc? I see lots of EP credits going to actors whose characters are being altered beyond credibility.

Thanks

27. chasingjenny says:

19 | Did Legends of Tomorrow have you assuming that Mick was only pretending to go along with the pirates? – A little, although after Rip told him he was only along due to Snart, I did think it might stick. Not convinced he’s gone though, I think it may be a fake out…
    I’m not really feeling Ray & Kendra (not so much because of Carter, more Cisco!), not feeling it. I actually feel much more of a spark between Sara and Snart.

28. cuius says:

News outlets rely on access to White House staff, etc., – guess they are currently thinking long-term, and hedging their bets. John Oliver doesn’t have the same concerns

29. Grace says:

12) Given Matthew Morrison’s character’s actions in Younger… yeah, I definitely wasn’t thinking of Will Schuester, lol.

30. GraceM says:

My Fuller House questing is this. Did Nicky and Alex ‘s room shrink in the past thirty years? It was bigger at one point and now there’s barely room for their bunk beds, never mind threw people.

31. DavidJ says:

7. To be fair, missiles fly a LOT faster than people think, upwards of 13,500 mph (compared to a speeding bullet’s 1,700 mph). So I have no problem believing it would have been quite a challenge for Kara.

• Phun says:

Exactly! ICBM’s (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) go around 15,000 MPH (Mach 23). The fastest I think Supergirl has gone on the show is Mach 2 (How Does She Do It). So, yes as DavidJ said, it does make sense when we did see her have some issues holding on to the missile and diffusing it.

32. Tom says:

~
    Yeah that was a big misstep. What I want to know is where is this Garage that DJ supposedly ran off to?
    ~
    ~
    I never got around to watching the show, but, maybe, kryptonite?
    ~
    8 | Is Castle‘s Espo moonlighting as captain of the Enterprise?
    ~
    Not necessarily, there are other ships, and others wore gold as well
    ~
    15 | Which CBS primetime/The Price Is Right integration was better: Scorpion‘s or 2 Broke Girls‘?
    ~
    Scorpion’s felt kinda…..rushed?

33. DLS says:

#6 John Oliver is amazing. All “real” tv journalists should feel embarrassed by how bad they are at their jobs.

#8. Exactly what I thought when I first saw it.

34. shunda1177 says:

11. I kept waiting for someone’s antenna to go up as soon as they mentioned he was an expert marksman. I thought Gibbs was going to say something by the way he moved but NADA!!! I mean, SERIOUSLY?! You have four VERY seasoned agents and it took them how long to grab a clue…

35. Lea says:

Fuller House would have been better off retconning the attic out of existence since that house very clearly has a flat roof.

36. John Oliver is great, but let’s get serious. He is comedian and news commentator, not a news caster. Different skill set, entirely. More like Rush Limbaugh than Dan Rather.

37. Max says:

#13 – OHN, that dress was dreadful. Looked frumpy and to be used only when hiding a pregnancy.

38. Kaya says:

15 – awful. Please stop trying to “synergize” shows – the actors look pained, the viewers are pained, and most importantly, it doesn’t further the plot. There was NO POINT to that except to make us cringe.

39. Hedy S. says:

6. John Oliver, please name off your business ventures both failed and successful. Also could you just head back to your homeland, and give a true American the job.

• ElynZ says:

Careful, your xenophobia is showing. John Oliver has never claimed to be a businessman; he works at what he knows best. Drumpf should do the same and go back to The Apprentice.

• JScout says:

John Oliver is an American citizen. Drumpf is the one who needs to leave this country and head to 1930s Germany where he’d fit right in.