Dancing With the Stars: Jodie Sweetin In, Derek Hough Out In Season 22

Stephanie Tanner’s dreams of becoming a dancer are finally coming true.

Fuller House star Jodie Sweetin will compete on Dancing With the Stars Season 22 with pro Keo Motsepe, it was revealed Wednesday. The announcement was first made on Good Morning America.

As you may recall, Sweetin’s TV sister, Candace Cameron Bure, competed on the ABC reality program in Season 18, coming in third place with pro Mark Ballas.

Meanwhile, Derek Hough will sit out the forthcoming cycle, People confirms.

The rest of DWTS‘ cast will be revealed on GMA Tuesday, March 8.

Is Sweetin a good fit for the competition? Sound off below. (Dancing With the Stars returns on Monday, March 21.)

1. Gillian says:

best news ever! cannot wait to see her dance. Can’t say i’m surprised, though. With all of the publicity that Fuller House is getting, I would have thought either her or Andrea would be on the show next.

2. Em chicago says:

Looks like Keo’s finally getting a solid partner now that Derek is out. She has a ton of dance experience, she can go far.

3. JD says:

Well, maybe now that Derek won’t be in it, I will watch again. He is very talented, but he was clearly the producer’s favorite- always giving him someone who had some kind of dance/skating/gymnastics/singing/ performance experience. He never got the Chloris Leachmans of the season.

• I totally feel the same way. Was really getting OLD that he ALWAYS got someone with previous background experience. He NEVER once got someone they knew couldn’t dance, to me that would have shown off his REAL TALENT, if he could have taken someone that had no experience and turned them into a dancer, even if they didn’t win, THAT would have been an accomplishment in my book.

• sluggermom says:

okay, how about the girl with prosthetic legs? She had no dance experience and he was able to showcase her abilities and got her to the semi finals. Yes, he always has a better partner but so does Val.

• Bea says:

I agree it should be called The Derek Hough Show. He is a good dancer but give the other pro’s a chance. It all falls on the producers for the rating. Get rid of him once and for all. Now I will also watch the show again.

• Sophie Carmichael says:

I agree, not to mention that Julianne, his sister, always gave him high marks and she should have never been on the judges table while he was a Pro.

4. ds says:

I’ll believe it when I see Derek not part of the cast, in the past when he says he won’t be in it, the he shows up. Looking forward to a Hough free DWTS (No Derek or Julianne as a judge, she was so biased it was terrible to watch).

5. A fan of TV says:

I’d call her an early frontrunner, not knowing her competition, of course. She can dance! And I saw this coming a mile away with the whole she-wolf episode dance off ;)

6. kovacsfan says:

Derek has danced with Amy Purdy, a double amputee, and Ricki Lake, a little bit older and not exactly skinny minnie –

• MelindaB says:

Yes, but Ricki Lake danced in movies, and Amy Purdy is an athlete. So both had experience or muscle tone that helped them when on the show.

• Chris says:

Not only was Prudy an athlete, but she had the sympathy factor as have many of the contestants. Derek has never had a bad partner, and in some cases, he has been given partners who have made their living from dancing. I really hope this is true because the show needs to be Hough free.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Candace Cameron Bure would be very happy that her co-star Jodie Sweetin is competing on the upcoming season of DWTS.

8. Lola says:

This is triple good news. No Derek! Hallelujah! Keo has a actual chance! Praise! And Jodie will be on! Nice!!

9. NJMark says:

“Is Sweetin a good fit?” Well, she’s somebody we’ve all HEARD of, so that’s a good start.

10. Jakay says:

Derek and Julianne both used the show as a launching pad. How many other careers has Julianne tried now? Wasn’t she going to be a country singer and a pop star and an actress? And Derek left to headline some other show and when it fell through, back he came. He did Nashville and something that he got sick and bailed on. Now he has some other gig and if that doesn’t happen, you know he will be back on DWTS with the sure-thing partner.

• Irene Klein says:

Everyone uses a show as a launching pad. Not just these two. That is what gives people an edge sometimes. Can’t fault them for looking out for themselves. After all who else would look after them?

• Sophie Carmichael says:

Really! Who? She pumps Derek up like only a sister can do, They are both on tour together and there is something weird about that altogether if you ask me.

11. Aeol says:

Not really a Jodie Sweetin fan, but I’m glad Keo is finally paired with a woman who isn’t an AARP card-carrying showboat without a prayer of learning to dance.

12. Beth says:

Not a Keo fan and since he has never stayed around for too long I hope this doesn’t hurt Jodie’s chances. I am happy for her that she has turned her life around. Double bonus no Houghs!

13. wanda ann says:

Yes finally maybe someone else can win instead of “golden boy”.

14. AngelWasHere says:

Looking forward to a Hough free season. I don’t like Keo, but oh well.

15. I am so sorry to hear that many of you people were not big fans of Julieanne and Derek. I don’t know how they pair the stars with the pro’s,but Derek didn’t always win the mirror ball trophy. Yes he won more trophys than any one else,but he was a good teacher and dancer. I don’t believe they played favorites either. I can see where everyone was getting upset that Derek always got the good partner or won 6 trophies,but he and his partners deserved everyone of them. I for one will miss Derek and Julieann this season. I know many fans won’t watch DWTS now that Derek said he won’t be dancing this season.I am sure the show will still be good. I think jodie Sweetin will be a great addition to Dwts this season.

16. Daya says:

What, no Maks or Val? :D

17. sluggermom says:

I’m truly shocked at the comments about Derek. While I am happy not to have Julianne at the judges table I am very sorry to not be able to watch Derek. He is without question the best choreographer on the show. He always showcases his partners talents (Amber) and abilities (Amy) without walking around with his shirt constantly open/off (Val/Maks). You guys are nuts – this season will definitely be more boring without Derek

18. Jennifer Miles says:

Love Derek ! I call him my man Derek ! He is the BEST DANCER !!!! I HOPE he’s back for Season 23!!!!!!!
    LOVE YOU DEREK !!!!!!!

I also think Jodi will do GREAT !!!!!
    NEW NETFLIX BINGER !!!! Can’t wait for Season 2 JODI !!!

19. Tara says:

I found it very hard to watch. Season 22 dwts without Derek and julliane Hope you come back for season 23 dwts. Derek and julliane. It wasn’t the same without you

20. Tara Healy says:

I hope that Derek and julliane hough return for season 23 dwts. It was very hard. To watch without them. Hope you guys come back to season 23 dwts

21. Tara Healy says:

I hope that. Derek and julliane. Both come back for the season 23 dwts. And. It was. Very hard to watch with them. Hope you guys come back to season 23 dwts.