Dirty Dancing Nicole Scherzinger

Dirty Dancing: Nicole Scherzinger Cast as Penny in ABC Remake

ABC’s Dirty Dancing remake is putting the “cat” in the Catskills.

Former Pussycat Dolls frontwoman Nicole Scherzinger (Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris) has landed the role of Penny, the dancer partner of leading man Johnny, whose unexpected pregnancy and subsequent abortion provide a major source of drama in Johnny’s romance with Baby in the early ’60s-set drama. The role of Penny was originated on the big screen by Cynthia Rhodes.

Johnny and Penny, of course, are part of the working-class entertainment staff at an upstate New York resort where Baby and her wealthy family vacation.

Previously announced cast members for the Lionsgate-produced three-hour reboot of the 1987 big-screen smash include Scream Queens‘ Abigail Breslin (as Baby), dancer Colt Prattes (as Johnny) and The Mysteries of Laura‘s Debra Messing (as Baby’s mother, Marjorie Houseman).

Scherzinger’s acting credits include guest spots on How I Met Your Mother and Wizards of Waverly Place — as well as stage roles in Rent at the Hollywood Bowl and the 2014 London revival of Cats.

Does Scherzinger’s casting make you more likely to tune in? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Lori says:

Um….doesn’t make me any more interested in this remake than I was before. Which was zilch so yeah, not interested.

• BKL says:

I agree with you. I don’t understand why the re-make. You cannot beat Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray. Not interested in remakes of classic films.

2. ds says:

Might have watched it, but now that she’s on it, won’t be watching at all.

3. Loretta says:

Wish they wouldn’t do this show . Leave it alone. The original was epic! Will not watch!

4. Cas says:

Again nobody wants to see this!

5. Anyone who dares to try and undermine Nicole. I’ll see you all AFTER you see her performance in the film. Haven’t you learned yet? Nicole is one of the most talented humans on this planet and when she sets her mind to something, she gives it her all. She’s going to take film by storm, just like she shocked everyone with her Rent performance, her performance in Cats as Grizabella, her win on DWTS, her win on I Can Do That. And the list is never ending.

• ds says:

She NEVER should have won DWTS. It’s because the judges liked Derek and gave him better scores than he deserved with her.

• ds says:

Adding to my above response, Evan Lysacek should have totally won DWTS against her that Season. He was so much better than her.

• lg says:

To above responses, Seriously? Its been 6 years now. Nicole didn’t win because of Derek. They worked for it and she was one heck of a dancer. If I recall Evan and Anna had an off night during the finals. Their freestyle was not that good and the points difference was what did them under. If you want to blame Evan for not winning, blame Anna.

• Jenks says:

Who are you, her agent?

• mooshki says:

She shouldn’t have won DWTS because it’s B.S. for them to allow a professional dancer to compete against amateurs.

6. Lana says:

Seriously? She’s way too old to be Penny.

7. Isabel says:

No. Just no.

8. Mick says:

I wished they would do Evita with her in the role instead

• Yolanda says:

OMG yes! Why no network is gonna do this?! She would kill as Evita. Her singing Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is the best I’ve ever heard! Chills all over my body!

9. 3dhouseofmagic says:

This remake should not be celebrated (no matter who is cast). Leave. Dirty. Dancing. Alone. Didn’t anyone learn anything from the footloose reboot?

10. Belle says:

Nope, I wasn’t excited for this to begin with…Nicole’s casting has put a nail in that coffin for me!

11. Greenlean says:

The more I read about this remake, the more it reminds me of the awful “Dirty Dancing” 1988 tv adaptation.

12. What’s with all the negative reactions? Nicole is so talented. She was excellent in Cats and her vocal ability is outstanding. Her rendition of “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” is still the best I’ve heard.

13. Carol says:

I love Nicole but Abigail as Baby! Seriously? What were they thinking?