John Oliver Finally Takes Aim at Trump, Delivers Election Season's Quintessential Takedown — WATCH

John Oliver has spent much of the last year avoiding Donald Trump, but the host made up for lost time on Sunday’s Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, delivering a blistering critique that was as eye-opening as it was uproarious.

The decision to lambast the GOP frontrunner came ahead of Super Tuesday and after the Republican presidential hopeful appeared on CNN’s State of the Union and refused to condemn a public endorsement by former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, claiming he had never heard of him despite acknowledging the white nationalist in 2000.

“You definitely know who he is, partly because you called him ‘a bigot’ and ‘a racist’ in the past, but that’s not even the f—king point,” Oliver said. “The point is, with an answer like that, you are either racist or you are pretending to be, and at some point, there is no difference there.”

In an effort to “stop thinking of the mascot and start thinking of the man,” Oliver attempted to separate the business mogul from the Trump brand, pointing to previous research that suggested his family’s surname was actually “Drumpf.”

In the segment above, Oliver pleads with the audience to #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain, offering Drumpf-branded hats and web browser extensions to tie the candidate to a far less powerful name.

Watch Oliver’s takedown, then sound off in the comments.

1. peterwdawson says:

A shame he didn’t also call back to his own spider-hands while talking about fingers.

2. paul says:

It’s amazing to me that people in this country cannot see what a bigot and racist Trump is. Because he’s saying all the right things his PR people are telling him to, to gain support. He’s a joke….and he’s made the Republican party an absolute joke.

• David4 says:

This is America, a large percent of Republicans are bigots and racists, that’s how he is winning.

• Ella Jasper says:

I am a Republican. I am not a bigot nor a racist. And I am not voting for Trump. I’m not sure where his supporters are coming from, but please don’t put us all in that same category.

• David4 says:

I’m curious to whom you are voting for? You’re party is one full of fear and hatred.

• Ella Jasper says:

No, it’s really not. I haven’t decided for sure who I am voting for, but it won’t be Trump. I feel that the Democrats have had 8 years and where are we? We have lost all standing in the world. Obamacare is not working. Racism is out of control. I feel like we have become a country with our hands out, wanting something for nothing. Honestly, Hillary is probably the most qualified, but I am not happy with the way she has handled her emails, the Benghazi situation, the foundation. So I don’t feel we can totally trust her. But again, who can we trust? It’s very sad that the USA has come to this. That’s my opinion, for what its worth.

• Angela says:

@EllaJasper: “We have lost all standing in the world.”
            Actually, from what I’ve heard, our standing has improved overall since Obama took office. Our allies have a better relationship with him than Bush did.
            As for Obamacare, it’s not perfect, no, but that’s due to Obama and the Democrats having to dilute it because the Republican Party won’t dare support any sort of decent healthcare reform. They could’ve, and should’ve, done more with it, but people brought into the “death panels” BS and other anti-healthcare reform stuff that conservatives spouted.
            That said, at least it’s a start at some sort of much needed change. Contrary to what some people wish to believe, wanting to make sure people have access to decent healthcare, or make a living wage so they can pay their basic bills and necessities, or other various things of that nature, isn’t a “handout”, or “wanting something for nothing”.
            And regarding racism, that’s going to be a problem regardless of who’s in office, because this country still has a lot of issues to sort out when it comes to the issue of race. That’s not Obama or the current Democratic party’s fault.

• Luke says:

How is it Obama’s fault if Racism is out of control? The percentage of whites supporting Trump freaked out when a black president was elected – The White, old man congress blocked as much as they could to limit him. Please tell us what specifically did Obama do to increase Racism?

• Ella Jasper says:

We will have to agree to disagree about our standing in the world. That’s just my opinion. I don’t feel that we get the respect that we have had in the past. Why? Many reasons. Not blaming Obama, just saying these are newer issues. And yes, there are many hard working people that still can’t put food on their tables at night. And yes, everyone deserves healthcare. I am not talking about them. There are still too many people that want something for nothing, that don’t want to work.

• Ella Jasper says:

Luke, I never said it was Obama’s fault that racism is out of control. I just said that it is. And it’s sad. I don’t care what color he is, I voted for him the first time around. Yes, me a Republican voted for a Democrat. I’m just stating my opinions, not trying to start an argument with you. I’m not sure who supports Trump, but it isn’t me.

• Ella, I applaud you. I am not American, I am Canadian but because of our proximity in geography, your elections do affect us. In my country I am a Liberal supporter. I have watched the republican debates and am shocked at how Trump is getting away with the things he says. My personal opinion is he is a very vial human being and quite the narcissist. I do have to say that there are two other candidates in the republican field that make sense and would give the Democrats a run for their money. I feel for those of you who are republicans and can see through the smoke and mirrors, the slick carnival barker talk, the scam artist talk. I can’t respect the values of those that would vote for such an unstable individual but I do however respect you all republicans that are fighting to keep their party from the insanity that is taken place. Good luck!

3. cuius says:

Can we assume the “Trump” wall will now be extended up the Atlantic coast to keep the Brits out?

4. Tina Fey says:

Too little, too late. People like this attacking Trump only makes his supporters more fervent and determined. If this guy was actually smart, he would know this. Rubio is attempting the same thing, but it only makes them all look pathetic and desperate. Super Tuesday tomorrow will determine the fate of the Republican party.

• Cait says:

I agree that this is very likely too late because Trump’s supporters have no concept of reality any more and facts just make them angrier than ever, but how does speaking the truth make John Oliver pathetic and desperate?

• Tina Fey says:

I only say that because he is speaking like Rubio and Cruz have been this past week as a last ditch effort to take down Trump. The political analysts are calling their attempts desperate and pathetic, so I equate the similarities to John in this segment.

• David4 says:

Republicans have no concept of reality. Who is better to run the country? Canadian Catholic, “I’m an American second” Cruz? Rubio hasn’t ever had an idea in his life, nor worked a day. We are all doomed.

5. Angela says:

Excellent segment. How I wish we could just drill it into every single Trump supporter’s head until it fully sinks in. I honestly cannot believe people didn’t see this guy’s campaign for the joke it should’ve been from the very start and are actually taking him seriously, to the point where he could very well be the GOP nominee. I really hope somebody can put an end to this craziness before it gets to that point, because this is just flat out ridiculous.

• Ella Jasper says:

I so totally agree with you. I am a Republican but I am so ashamed of what is happening to our party. I can’t believe that there isn’t some way to stop this. Who is voting for this man? Do they really believe everything he says?

6. Kay says:

The Chrome Extension has just improved my Monday! #makedonalddrumpfagain

7. Cait says:

Okay, folks, I’m gonna take the bets right now: when the Trump supporters arrive, who will there be more of: those who refuse to watch the video because they know it will just be more lies about their fearless leader, or those who do watch at least part of the video and deny everything in it because it goes against their reality created by their fearless leader?

8. Kim R says:

And he drops the mic!

9. Mark Newman says:

Go Trump. His supporters (me included) despise the media so much (almost as much as the political establishment) that every time you put him down, more and more people will vote for him.

10. robandco says:

Just amazing. Too bad attacks like this seem to make him even more popular…

11. Mr. Tran K says:

I see a new feud going on here: TRUMP vs. OLIVER. Not to mention his Twitter rant about John Oliver’s old buddy Jon Stewart.

12. Whatevah says:

uh oh..The Donald will now be suing John Oliver. :)

13. Gerald says:

Pure Gold. Very funny. But hopefully people will actually listen to the facts in this video. If they listen and understand then they shouldn’t vote for him. I hope the democratic candidate is able to take him down.

14. luli101 says:

So brilliant. Why have the Brits had it right all along? I have to think that there was an orchestrated effort by the media to keep the crap in the can until it was Trump vs. Hillary and then to let it all out so that Dems could win the election. Maybe it has gotten out early enough to stop his nomination, but I doubt it.

• Craig Riley says:

It will almost certainly be advantageous for the Democrats to run against Trump or Cruz since they’re both ballot box poison to independents and minorities. But since the former is pretty much the de facto nominee now, they might as well make a start.

15. Parker Posey says:

Although funny, this will not change one single voter’s mind either way. People are prepared to vote how they feel, and nothing will change that…except when/if their candidate of first choice quits.

• peterwdawson says:

That’s kind of the problem: statistics and facts have meant less and less lately, it’s all been gut and sentiment. Thanks to that the con man who seems trustworthy has a legit shot of conning a whole damn country into making him President.

16. Anna says:

This segment was amazing, I laughed so damn hard! But – and this is important – I only think this is funny because I live all the way across the big pond in Europe. Otherwise this would be really sad, America. This guy is a joke. A really, really bad joke. I hope all goes well when elecetion day finally arrives… I’m rooting for you, America!

• Freddie says:

I’m rooting for the U.S.A., too, from my spot here in Canada. I’ve seen U.S. news reports of interviews of people on the streets (obviously, the number of people interviewed cannot be statistically significant) stating that, even as lifelong Republicans, if Drumpf gets the nomination, they plan on voting Democrat. Even if it’s for Clinton. Also, there is a tongue-in-cheek website inviting people to move to Nova Scotia in the event of a Drumpf presidency, but real-estate offices and local government offices are all reporting a exponentially significant uptick in phone calls and website visits from the U.S…. So I think there’s obviously plenty of reason to root for our American friends. Clearly, they haven’t all lost their minds.

• Angela says:

Speaking as someone who lives in the U.S., that’s actually rather comforting news.
        I’ve never been to Canada, but I hear it’s lovely. So if he does, crazy enough, wind up winning the presidency, well…:).

17. liame says:

DRUMPF has been SERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can’t hate the truth people, you just can’t.

18. RonGrey says:

There was a person in 1930s Germany that gained power with bigoty and hate Open your eyes people

• BM says:

Which is why there are a lot of Germans who look at him with fear and don’t just dismiss him as a joke.

• Anna says:

The moment he started talking about registering all Muslims in a database and his supporters backed him up, the fear started setting in for me. I really wish people could pay more attention to history so they could understand what this man could become with too much power.

• Ryan says:

Agreed. It was funny when Stewart was around at the beginning. It’s not funny anymore. Now it’s terrifying. You better believe I will mobilize and vote for anyone else to keep Trump away from the White House.

19. HAP says:

Oliver is a late night treasure. The depth of his reports could not have been done on a nightly show like TDS. Oliver and HBO are a match made in heaven.

20. Zoe says:

John Oliver is the hero America needs right now. #makedonalddrumpfagain

21. Absolutely brilliant!!!! Thank you for the laughs and the truth. How refreshing for a change.

22. Richard Wright says:

Was there a need for Mr Oliver to use foul language in an otherwise excellent report?

23. Lynvashti says:

I believe John Oliver is not only very funny, but amid all the humor he has a razor sharp ability to cut through all the b-s and find the truth. We need more truth finders like him instead of the biased news anchors and so-called experts skewing the news. “The truth is out there.”