Post Mortems
Blindspot Recap

Blindspot Boss Breaks Down 'Delicate' Midseason Premiere: Will It Hurt Jane and Weller's 'Indelible Bond'?

After leaving fans to mull a major cliffhanger for 14 weeks, Blindspot returned on Monday with an episode that confirmed one thing: Things are going to get much more confusing for Jane Doe before they get clearer.

Still reeling from a video message recorded by her past self, in which Jane learned that she is the one responsible for her own body art and memory wipe, the NBC drama’s protagonist didn’t become privy to much more information in Monday’s midseason premiere.

Instead, Jane was left to work a harrowing overseas case with the FBI team, after her newfound confidant (and former fiancé) Oscar refused to provide extra intel about her self-inflicted tats. (He did, however, finally confirm to Jane that she is indeed Taylor Shaw, though he wouldn’t go into detail about how or why she was abducted all those years ago.)

At the end of the hour, Jane was faced with an ultimatum: head to a nearby park and meet with Weller to hash out their recent kiss, or meet Oscar on the roof of a building and learn a bit more about her mysterious existence. In the end, Jane chose the clandestine rendezvous with Oscar — but what does that mean for her relationship with Kurt?

We took that question (and a few others) to series creator Martin Gero, who shared how Jane and Weller will proceed in the weeks ahead, whether a love triangle is forming now that Oscar is in the picture and how Jane will cope with the information that she’s to blame for a body full of tattoos. Read on for Gero’s insights:

BlindspotTVLINE | Given how November’s midseason finale ended, I imagine there was a lot to unpack when you got back into the writers’ room. Which storyline became the priority for the back half of the season?
To be totally honest, in the first week of the writers’ room, we started at Episode 23 and worked backwards. We knew what the tentpoles of the season were, including Episodes 10 and 11. For us, every season is like a novel in a series of books that you will hopefully read many [times]. [Laughs] It was something that we had been aiming for since the first or second week of the show. We actually had a very concrete plan of how the next 13 episodes were to track out. Originally, we assumed it would be 22 episodes, and then [NBC] added a 23rd. And there had been some stuff at the end [of Episode 22] that we thought was a little dense, and [getting an extra episode] allowed us to actually fix that problem. It was incredibly helpful to get that 23rd episode.

TVLINE | At the end of tonight’s episode, Jane has a choice between meeting Oscar on the roof or meeting Weller in the park. She goes for Oscar. Is that because she’s just too curious about Oscar to resist, or is her trust in Weller starting to fracture, as well?
It’s not necessarily her trust in Weller, but she knows that if she goes to that park, she’s going to fall for him even more. Right now, she’s trying to protect him from herself. We always say this in break-ups, but it really has nothing to do with Kurt. It has everything to do with her. She needs to figure out as much as she can from Oscar before she dials everyone else in. It does rattle her. She doesn’t know anybody that well. She doesn’t know that much about Weller or Zapata or Reed or Mayfair. It makes her second-guess herself a little bit, but more importantly, she realizes how dangerous she is to them and wants to start putting some distance between them.

TVLINE | I have to assume it will get a little awkward between Jane and Weller next week, since she blew him off.
Suuuure, sure, sure. [Laughs] It’s a delicate [balance] for them. They work together, she’s an important figure in his life. We’ve all had instances where maybe we made out with somebody we shouldn’t have, and we try to normalize that situation. It’s a lot of fun stuff. They still have an indelible bond that we’re never going to tamper with. But there are certainly going to be moments of awkwardness between them.

TVLINE | We also know that Jane and Oscar had an intense romantic history. Is a love triangle on the horizon?
It’s a very powerful thing. One of the reasons that Jane and Weller had such intense feelings for each other is because, on Jane’s side, he’s really the only tactile link to her past. And now Oscar comes along, who A) knows so much more about her and B) seems to be somebody that the past-her was madly in love with. It’s a confusing relationship for her, because she feels like he’s holding back so much from her. It’s an interesting relationship for her to wrangle emotionally.

What did you think of Monday’s midseason premiere, Blindspot fans? Grade the episode in our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. GeoDiva says:

The whole landing the plane was ridiculous, but overall the episode was fun.

• Mike M says:

The whole episode was ridiculous. Tell her she did it to herself, then tell her nothing more except wind her up by saying her team are all bad, then let her go so she can attack you, then let her go with a promise to meet later so you can tell her more nothing about how you will tell her lots more nothing every week as and when she needs to (not) know for her own good. This needed to be a super strong story line coming back as her back story is the entire crux of the show – and it worse than totally failed. Between that and the atrocious episode plot and awful new bad boss agent trying to be new boss I have no idea what that show was but I’d love to be watch Blindspot again.

• John NYC says:

I don’t get why. Aircraft need power to stay in the air, losing altitude to land is a natural and the airspeed gained as the plane dropped would provide a lot of lift as the air sped over the wings for the recovery and landing. Heck sailplanes, with NO engines, land that way every time. The aircraft had power, just no engines, so the controls would be functional allowing for control. Jets don’t have very good wings for gliding ( they’re incompatible with their normal cruising speeds) , so the steep approach was logical. Now Wellers comment about helicopters v. fixed wing aircraft WAS absurd, they’re nothing alike to control. But fixed wing aircraft sre far simpler do if she were trained in rotary aircraft odds are she also could be expected to have had fixed wing experience as well.

2. James D says:

Loved it. The plane landing was absurd, and I agree the reveal that she was behind it along then keep everything from her seems to unnecessarily drag out a plot point, but in the end it’s a drama and a mysterious mystery certainly makes for some drama. very glad it’s back.

3. Marty Morgan says:

Right now I wish I had some of Jane’s mad skills I would use them to pummel THE WRITER & his fellow writers into the ground. I am angry & frustrated to the point that I might not watch anymore. And I LOVED THIS SHOW! I have a background in theatre, writing & entertainment so I recognize talent & there is so much talent here. Right now I feel used. Really disappointed.

• Katherine215 says:

What are you so upset about? I thought last night’s episode was a strong return. I’m baffled why you’d feel “used” by a show.

4. So Happy says:

I can’t wait to find out more about Jane and what Oscar has to share with her. Almost everyone on this show has secrets. It only makes sense for Jane to have some too :0)

5. A says:

The language the terrorists were speaking was not Urdu but Hindi. How did they not do any kind of research before using it. This just goes on to show how ignorant these people are.
    Very disappointed :(

6. David7118 says:

Good grief!! I normally love this show but did no one think to shoot the planes tires?

• Valerie Fitgerald says:

I was yelling the same thing at the TV. I decided to pretend they were Kevlar tires and this intensely trained group of heroes were privy to that info so they knew that wouldn’t work. Self-delusion by bad staging.

• Grey says:

Hey, I still don’t understand/can not forgive the guy from the bomb squad in the very first episode not wearing gloves! When have you ever seen in real life a guy from the bomb squad all suited up from head to toe but not wearing the gloves? You’re not going to have a very long career in that field if you’re so willing to sacrifice your fingers! I almost gave up on the show right then and there.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it an A. The plane landing scene was mind blowing and it was great to see the show finally coming back after a three month hiatus. I’ll be shocked if Jane Doe turns herself into the dark side.

8. Valerie Fitgerald says:

What the hell was up with the”Blair Witch” camera work. The beginning of the season wasn’t filmed like that. I really like this show and had to turn it off because it truly made me motion sick. Did no one else notice this? I’m not sure who complain to at NBC…..

9. Ceylan says:

As a Turkish viewer of the show I just have mention all the inconsistencies. First of all why go to Ankara of all places, which is landlocked in the middle of the country if you need to the Black Sea? Turkish coffee is not that diluted, I often compare it to mud. Also pretty sure those tiny planes don’t fly trans-Atlantic from Turkey.

10. Bill says:

What a really good episode. The long break was terrible, I forgot a lot of what happened before the break

11. M says:

Disappointed that Monday’s episode didn’t take up with what Carter did to Jane, none of that was mentioned. Why didn’t Jane go to Kurt? It left viewers wondering.