Agents SHIELD Ward Hive

S.H.I.E.L.D. Bosses Confirm Ward Is Now [Spoiler] — With a 'Unique Twist'

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. showrunners Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen have double-secret officially confirmed that which cast member Elizabeth Henstridge let slip at a recent Con, regarding the new identity of disgraced team member Grant Ward.

Having been consumed by the Inhuman creature that lived on and terrorized the distant planet Maveth, Ward (played by original cast member Brett Dalton) is now the conglomeration of parasitic organisms known as the Hive, the EPs told Nerdist.com.

The Hive first debuted almost seven years ago in the Secret Warriors comic book series that S.H.I.E.L.D. is now plumbing for story, as a Hydra-created assembly of genetically-engineered parasites that can occupy a human host. The ABC TV series’ iteration, however, will present its “own unique twist and be very different” from what Marvel enthusiasts may have seen on the printed page.

Also, though it obviously need not be said (yet wisenheimers will persist): no relation to DC Comics’/Arrow‘s H.I.V.E.!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. resumes Season 3 on Tuesday, March 8 at 9/8c.

Want more scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Should the series ever going to get rid of Grant Ward even though he’s still the show’s main villain? He’s been backstabbing everyone in his path for nearly three seasons now.

2. Alison says:

I literally had to do a mental check to remember that Arrow was DC and S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel, and therefore different. Thanks for confirming the clarification!

3. mike says:

THey are pulling the same crap with Ward that Heroes did with Sylar, and Arrow is doing with Merlyn. Bad guys need to GO AWAY once in awhile. There’s only so much evil a fan can realistically take before they’ve had enough. That time has long passed.

• Jordan_Strummer says:

Yeah but this is actually a clever way around the problem-they clearly like the actor so they gave him a new character to play. I have no idea if Ward is still in play for the future or if Brett Dalton is done once the Hive is taken care of, but they’ve at least made the effort to keep things different

• K says:

Agreed. I’m long past tired of Ward and Brett Dalton. I’d like to see someone new and interesting as a villain.

• Harmony says:

Gideon Mallack is a great and terrifying villain. He’s creepier than Ward/the Hive. Remember this is the guy who gave the go-ahead to blow up New York in The Avengers.

4. Ward is not Hive. Ward is dead and he should not be held responsible for Hive’s actions. It is 100% Hive’s fault (and Coulson’s) about what will happen next.

• Lian McGuire says:

Ward went looking for Maveth/Hive. And he was totally prepared to give himself over to what Maveth had in mind. He got what he wanted. He is responsible as anyone for what happens next.

5. Sarah says:

I thought it was a very interesting way to keep Brett Dalton on the show while getting rid of Ward. I was so done with Ward as a character, but I love Brett Dalton so this works for me.

6. MeJ says:

Man, they just love Brett Dalton over there.

7. ndixit says:

I am willing to take any number of plot shenanigans to keep Dalton on the show. He is one of the best performers on the show.

• Bwhit says:

Agree. Couldn’t stand the things Ward did but I just think Brett Dalton is the best, and I love his dedication to the show and its fans.

• Wordsmith says:

Yeah, the real problem was that original-flavor Grant Ward was just a mind-numbingly boring character. they keep reinventing him over and over, and each version is a little bit better. He’s like the human version of Ultron.

8. Joey Padron says:

Good to know what Ward has become on show of a character from comic books. Excited for show to return next week!

9. Mad Hobbit says:

So tiny Goa’uld

10. Bill says:

Wards annoying. With thousands of villains in the Marvel Universe, Shield is still stuck with this loser

11. BarryFlash says:

So it is kind of like what happened to Amy Acker’s character on Angel?