The Walking Dead Recap

The Walking Dead Recap: Negan Delivers a 'Message' to [Spoiler]!

When Jesus told Rick & Co. in this week’s episode of The Walking Dead, “Your world’s about to get a whole lot bigger,” maybe he should have mentioned that it was about to get a whole lot more dangerous, too.

By the end of the hour, not only had our ragtag band of survivors paid a visit to Paul’s nearby community, The Hilltop, but they had also learned the conditions of their neighbors’ lopsided deal with Negan and seen firsthand the villain’s preferred method of making a point.

So, who was the unlucky recipient of a “message” from the leader of the Saviors? Read on and find out!

‘I APPRECIATE THE COOKIE’ | As “Knots Untie” began, Sasha informed a crestfallen Abraham that, effective immediately, Eugene would be replacing her on their patrols. She didn’t come out and say that she had switched shifts because the ginger hulk was still shtupping Rosita, but her reason was as obvious as Rosita’s affection for her lover was when, in a subsequent scene, she gave him a necklace made from a shard of brake light.

Back at Casa Grimes, Carl found Jesus waiting on the stairs for the teen’s “mom and dad” — Michonne and Rick, who emerged from the bedroom only semi-dressed. Surprise, Carl! While the boy absorbed the shock (and decided the hook-up was “cool”), Jesus explained to Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Abraham and Daryl that his job at The Hilltop was to find other groups with whom they could trade. Since Alexandria has an impressive arsenal but not nearly enough food, and The Hilltop has a surplus of provisions but no ammo, Jesus hoped that they could make a deal. After all, he noted, “We’re on the same side — the living side.”

‘THIS COULD BE THE START OF EVERYTHING’ | On the road to The Hilltop with Rick, Michonne, Daryl and Maggie, Abraham — clearly wrestling with big (love) life decisions — asked Glenn, “When you were pouring the Bisquick, were you trying to make pancakes?” Translation: Glenn, when you and Maggie were making love, were you attempting to conceive a child? Once Glenn figured out WTH Abraham was asking, he replied that yes, they had been hoping to get pregnant. After all, they were trying to build something in this new world. They all were. Well, except for Abraham. “I see rain comin’,” he said, “I’m wearing galoshes.” Okay, then…

Happening upon a fresh car crash, our regulars suspected that they were being set up to be ambushed by Jesus’ peeps. However, the accident was legit, and among the Hilltop denizens that were saved was — jackpot, Glenn and Maggie! — Harlan, an obstetrician. Back en route to The Hilltop, everyone was just getting to know each other when the RV got stuck in the mud. But it didn’t really matter since — ta-da! — they had arrived.

‘GOOD GRACIOUS, IGNATIUS!’ | After a tense moment at the gates — during which Rick & Co. were threatened with spears, that’s how poorly armed The Hilltop is! — Jesus vouched for his companions, and they all gained admittance. (Jesus even arranged it so that our gang didn’t have to give up their weapons — that’s trust!) Though most folks at The Hilltop lived in FEMA trailers, the community’s smarmy leader, Gregory (24’s Xander Berkeley), resided in Barrington House, the fanciest pile of bricks since Tara (or at least since Southfork).

If you didn’t hate Gregory the second he announced, “I’m the boss,” you certainly did by the time the self-aggrandizing SOB came on to Maggie and called her Natalie. (That’s no way to treat our new Deanna!) After the weasel proposed an unacceptable deal and Rick threatened to take what his crew came for by force, Jesus promised to fix things, as he had earlier with the sentries. Alas, before he could, a handful of Hilltop denizens returned a person short from dropping off supplies to Negan. Where was Craig? Negan said he’d keep him alive, the captive’s brother, Ethan, explained, if he delivered a message to Gregory. And that message? Die, apparently, because Ethan stabbed Gregory in the gut!

‘THINGS AREN’T AS SIMPLE AS THEY MAY SEEM’ | During the ensuing melee, Daryl broke a guy’s arm, Michonne distracted Ethan long enough for Rick to kill him (RIP, Man-Bun!), and, while being choked, Abraham had an epiphany that he should be with Sasha, not Rosita. (His girlfriend’s gift to him was even left behind, to make absolutely sure we understood.) Hilariously, when the bloody fracas was over, Rick turned to the Hilltop denizens staring dumbstruck and said simply, “What?” #priceless

Eventually, a spear-wielding sentry decided to step in, prompting Jesus to literally strike a crucifixion pose between the guard and Rick. So this probably won’t go down in Walking Dead history as the subtlest installment ever. Still, Jesus did manage to defuse the situation. Afterward, he explained that Gregory had long ago made a ridiculous deal with Negan: The Hilltop would give the Saviors half of everything they had (in perpetuity), and in exchange, the Saviors wouldn’t kill them. (Clearly, cowardly Gregory had been scared extra s—less by the fact that Negan had murdered a teenager back then just to prove that he meant business.)

‘WE’LL WIN… WE HAVE TO’ | Though Maggie (presciently?) predicted that “it’s gonna cost us something” to take on Negan, Rick, Daryl and Abraham were unimpressed by the threat posed by the Saviors. “These d—s just have a good story,” Daryl scoffed. So they decided to have Maggie present Gregory with a new offer: They’d vanquish the enemy in exchange for food, medicine and a cow. He tried to play hardball, but since The Hilltop lacked fighters, ammo and enough provisions to satisfy Negan, should his demands escalate, it wasn’t a game that Gregory could win.

As the episode came to a close, Jesus looked at the haul Maggie’d scored from Gregory as nothing short of a miracle. “Even Negan didn’t get this much upfront,” he marveled. Rick reassured Michonne that, failure not being an option, they’d come out on top in their imminent war with Negan. And, finally, Glenn and Maggie passed around their baby’s sonogram (thanks, Harlan!) as if to remind everyone of the hope for which they’d be fighting.

So, what did you think of the episode? Do you buy Abraham and Sasha as a couple? How perfectly cast is Xander Berkeley? Hit the comments!

1. Gina says:

This feels really weird to type and mean with such emphasis, but I love Jesus!
    I really hope he turns out to be a good guy. Or at least, not a terrible guy.
    As the episode closed out, all I could think about is who is going to meet Negan “off the bat”. Ugh, my emotions.

• Shaw says:

I think it might be Abraham. It doesn’t look like he’ll be a round much longer.

• Tim says:

I’m thinking it’s going to be Maggie. They are setting her up as the leader of the group and there’s no way that baby’s going to be born. Maybe Glen will go with her? A double whammy!

• Brandon says:

Ok so is itjust me or am I the only one thinking jesus and his people already made a deal with negan to hunt rick and his crew down and deliver them to negan for blowing his guys up? Exchange for some of the peoplez wifes back because we know the one in car wreck was with his wife and told jesus he is going to eep my wife jesus was un phased… Also the comment to rick from jesus “quote” not even negan took this much up front meaning Negan obviously didnt take anything but instead gave demands and threats what if those was dead line to bring rick and them to him or he will keep there wifes kill them and take there stuff gave jesus and others no other option but to betray rick and hand rick and group to negan… negan has someone dear tto jesus that he cares about sister wife brother.. some of ricks group will see its set up and barely get away with there life but others negan will torture and kill glenn, abraham. And michone jesus will feel bad and eventually cross over to ricks side in replace of glenn and season ends for a gear up in season 7 to be all about a war between rick and negan

• Jack says:

But how would they know it was Ricks people who blew them up? There were no survivors, so there was no one left to inform Negan of what happened

• Lawrence says:

It’s been shown in the scene where Daryl blows up the group of Saviors that a car rolls up in the distance, just overlooking the scene. There’s a theory that that was Negan in the car, who then saw that Daryl had killed them. I just really hope it’s not Daryl he kills – I think it’ll be Maggie anyway. Andrew Lincoln, along with other cast members, has said that the season 6 finale made him feel ‘sick’ because it was so dark, so I reckon it’ll be a pregnant Maggie that he kills off, perhaps without realising she’s pregnant.

To be honest, I don’t think they should kill off Daryl at all. I see him as one of the few survivors we consistently root for, like Rick. I hope AMC doesn’t make the Game of Thrones mistake of killing off too many of the people we care most about, because while I’m not one of those “If Daryl dies, we riot” types, and while killing off beloved characters is key for the realism, if you kill off someone as well loved and as survival-competent as Daryl, you begin taking away our reasons to watch the show. But, so far, AMC seems to be doing everything right, because I’m loving the show and I can’t wait to see what happens, even if it’s painful to see :P

• Jack says:

Maggie will live. I seriously doubt her getting killed off. Not negans cup of tea. I hate to say this but I still think Glenn will get it just like the comics. It’ll be a sad day. I guess we will have to see what happens.

2. Shaw says:

I think this is the dumbest thing that this group has ever did. Usually it’s them fight their own battles. Not somebody else’s. This is just bringing crap to them.

• Molly says:

Here’s the thing, i think it would have evetually fallen on their doorstep. Jesus (what is his real name?) knows where their compound is, they mentioned that they killed some of the saviors, so if he were to get desperate and trade for intel with Negan that would lead them straight to Alexandria. So i don’t think it’s them getting involved in something that doesn’t involve them at all any one of them can run into these saviors on one of their supply runs

• Shaw says:

Yea, but with the ammo that Alexander has wouldn’t you rather the fight come to you instead of taking the fight to them and not really knowing your surroundings.

• DarkDefender says:

Taking the fight to Negan, gives our gang the element of surprise. In a war like that… Waiting for them at Alexandria (like sitting ducks) would backfire. Look how hard it was to fight off the dead a couple episodes back. And they didn’t shoot back like Negan’s people will.

• Mike M says:

Well they’ve already run into the Saviors – and it surprises me nobody brought up the fact it took an RPG to take them out. The real total fail here is not going after them first rather than waiting for them to find Alexandria (that bit is fine) it’s the total lack of any logic in promising they will take Negan out (and making this deal for supplies), BEFORE making any attempt to confirm either the size of his forces, what weapons he has, or the type of defensive position he’s in. They know waaaay better than that. They know they need that info to determine if they can even do it – or at least how many people it will need. It’s just very very lazy writing – along with the seemingly never-ending tirade of words about how bad Negan is designed to build him up as the big bad. “Hey he killed a 16 year old kid” wooooo yeah right we get it he’s a bad ass – come on Gimple enough already. Great TV is “show” not “tell”. Next week a town hall style sit down to get things sorted at Alexandria, then what? If Negan’s not shown until the finale that’s a tragic waste of time. Bored to tears by this episode quite frankly, it didn’t captivate me at all – every Hill Top character was a mess except Jesus. I don’t even want to start on the sudden 30% soap opera the show has become this season. The only saving grace is you know its all about making a few people look incredibly happy so it’s a bit harder to figure out who gets the tragic death in the season finale that has upset Lincoln so much. Meh 5/10

• Phoenix5634 says:

I brought up the rocket launcher :p but yeah I know what ya mean lol.

• KLS says:

Have you read the source material?

• Jack says:

They have already said that Negan will not show up until the finale. No “If”s about it. And we have a number of episodes to go until then, so that might be when they “attempt to confirm either the size of his forces, what weapons he has, or the type of defensive position he’s in”.

• Jack says:

I disagree with negan coming on the last episode. He’s coming sooner! Cant hardly wait to see this happen.

3. Mary Burrell says:

Michone is Rick’s Ride or die chick that’s for sure she has always had his back. Abraham and his penchant for weird phrases like “pouring the bisquick.” LOL. The Rick Grimes gang and now Jesus’s community The Hilltop and Negans people who i am learning are the Saviors. I fear in coming episodes there will be mass casualties and many of our beloved characters will perish.

4. Mary Burrell says:

I do feel it’s Abraham’s time to time or maybe not who knows but somebody is going to die.

5. DarkDefender says:

Another great episode, but I have to ask… How in the heck does Abraham get to choose between Sasha and Rosita? Daryl is a way better guy than he is… And where the heck is Carol?

6. Ian says:

Wow, Rick and Michonne feel like sinking into a hot bath. They feel like a cozy rock in the midst of whatever chaos is going on. Love them. Those moments of affection tonight were bliss. The show just needs to be careful now not to reduce Michonne to Rick’s silent bodyguard.
    I like Tom’s Jesus protrayal for its smooth and feline cunning, but that fake beard is so distracting. But Im not at all attached to him the same way I was Aaron after his first couple of episodes. I wish we saw more of him.
    And Abraham can go kick rocks. It makes me think that he must be on his way out, because why in Earth should I care that he’s realized he loves Sasha when he’s just playing two good beautiful women? They can both do better than him.

7. James D says:

Will they stick to the comics? because if so I’m so not looking forward to the last batch of episodes. Great casting on Jesus he’s very good.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I feel their sticking pretty close to the comics right now… Hilltop is soo close to the comics. A lot since the winter premiere tbh. We’re some where near like issue 90 I think.

• James D says:

Yeah I agree. I guess a certain someone is about to meet Lucille :(

• Phoenix5634 says:

I really don’t want that certain someone to meet Lucille :( I’m nervous for my top characters right now, anyone who’s read the comics can feel Lucille being set up, as well as many other source material storylines.

• Jack says:

There is no reason to assume that the same person will meet Lucille as in the comics. Is it possible? Of course. But, so far, the only characters that I can think of that kind of died like their comics counterpart is Shane and the Governor. Everyone else has been different.

8. MTB says:

This story is getting soooo old. There are zombies, a new place of sanctuary, a new bad guy. Soap, rinse, and repeat. Where is this show going?

9. AngelWasHere says:

Kind of dumb to attack Negan, because we all know they will be casualties. I guess it’s not entirely dumb, but it’s still risky. Love the bisquick line b/w. lol

• Phoenix5634 says:

Haha the bisquick quote still makes me laugh. And for the amount of supplies they got, it could be worth it to go after Negan, before he goes after them. Plus they still got the rocket launcher pretty sure, they used 2, and had 4 ammo for it to start, right?

10. Aly says:

It feels like a very similar story to all those that have come before…Not feelin’ the storyline yet.
    Also, I am missing Carol. I can never understand why the writers insist on backbenching her for multiple episodes every season, when she’s one of the most interesting characters they have.

• Phoenix5634 says:

It’s alittle similar, but not really at all when it comes full picture, trust me. What is coming in future seasons is crazy. And anyway, what do you expect to happen, them to just wander upon an untouched city and start a soap opera? Lol, Sorry not going to happen with this show. Thank god too.

• wrstlgirl says:

Not seeing Carol now probably means there is something big coming up for her. Be careful what you ask for :-)

11. Jack says:

I really hate the idea of Glenn meeting a new love ( lucille ). Someone has to go and if it’s Glenn then it’s Glenn. I’d rather see Abraham go instead. I like him a lot too but people dieing off if the way it goes in twd.

• KLS says:

“New love” for Glenn, a.k.a. Lucille? You do know who/what Lucille is right? HA!

• Jack says:

A ball bat with barbed wire. Yup, sure do..

• Peachy says:

Wow, that’s a pretty crappy thing to post for those that haven’t read the comic books. If you hadn’t noticed, others were considerate enough to give up that info. Guess that makes you “That Guy”

• Jack says:

Except there is little reason to think that Glenn will meet Lucille in the same way, so the point is moot.

• Jack says:

I haven’t read the comic book so it’s what I’ve gathered from sites like this. It’s all talk anyway. I have no idea who is next and it really doesn’t matter either because it’s gonna suck. It’s all fun anyway.

• walkingAlive says:

rumor has it ….it will be Darryl

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, rumor has it…it will be Abraham or rumor has it….it will be Morgan. Bottom line is whoever it turns out to be, it will be upsetting. Even Andrew Lincoln commented that it upset him.

12. Bill says:

Abraham is definitely not going to make it to the end of the season. There’s a reason why Daryl’s crossbow was stolen by a Savior…

13. jeff says:

Abraham is a fool if he dumps rosita for sasha, rosita is the total package. Sasha will just get him killed. She is still in a tortured state and her head is still not in the game, however rosita’s stepped up and even got Eugene in a fighting way, plus she has believed in Abraham and been beside him since Texas. That says a lot given Abrahams moodiness. He needs to pull it together and see reality instead of twisted disney fantasy.

14. Theresa says:

I’m thinking after this week’s episode it will be Abraham who Negan kills.

• Jack says:

I wouldn’t be surprised. They killed Beth. So no one’s safe.

• wrstlgirl says:

Abraham has been my no. 1 pick for awhile now. But it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if it’s Daryl. Something in my gut is telling me that if they are going to kill the character, this would be the time to do so. Who knows, they both may be gone by the end of this season. I do think we’re going to lose more than one but to lose two major characters would be awful. And yes, I do consider Abraham a major character at this point :-)

• Jack says:

I think it’s very conceivable to see 2 major characters go. Abe is a major character but his days are numbered. Gotta admit, I NEVER thought Beth would go or get it the way she was taken out.

15. tracey says:

Oh yes bring on the next episode keeps getting better and better

16. Justin says:

I have a feeling the sonogram photo is not a cast away occurrence.

Negan may find it and use it to determine who will meet his bat. I’m still thinking Glen. Like most people have said, I don’t think he will go as far as killing Maggie. But Glen would have a huge impact.