Oscars 2016 Spotlight

Oscars: Spotlight Wins Best Picture

It was dubbed one of the most wide open Best Picture races in Oscar history. In the end, Spotlight took home top honors Sunday at the 88th Academy Awards.

The film beat out fellow best pic nominees The Big Short, Bridge of Spies. Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant and Room.

Scroll down to review the ceremony’s other big winners…

Best Actor

Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Production Design
Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Costume Design
Mad Max: Fury Road

1. Ellinaras78 says:

Another PC choice. Revenant was 1000% times better but I get why they “had” to give it to this movie. But it’s the Oscars, so whatever.

2. ABG says:

Would have loved Mad Max, but at least it wasn’t the Revenant.

3. Amely says:

I am in the minority that thought that The Revenant was an average movie. I loved the cinematography and the wide shot of the forest. But it was soooo long. They could’ve cut a lot of the movie and have the same effect.

I liked Spotlight just fine but I also think that it’s a pretty conventional choice for the Oscar and that the top prize could’ve gone to another movie.

• I agree with you concerning Revenant. I felt like it wasn’t nearly as good as all the hype made it out to be.
      I was actually rather pleased with Spotlight winning. Yes it was a prestige pic, but it also was a thoroughly haunting film that stayed with me long after I left the theater. (Also, as good as they might have been, there was no way that The Martian or Mad Max was going to take the top prize.)

• Sara says:

You’re not in the minority at all….every movie critic in the world pretty much agreed.

4. gcw07 says:

This is the first time I’ve heard of the movie Spotlight. What was it about?

• Lorie says:

The movie takes place in Boston in 2001. The basis is about an investigative team based out of the Boston Globe and the cover up involving up to 90 priests who abused children. Go see this film, it was about something real, an epidemic that is happening everywhere. You won’t regret it :)

5. Mr. Tran K says:

So sad Star Wars: The Force Awakens got shut out in the technical categories.

6. lostom66 says:

What really makes me mad is I never once was molested by my priest. I grew up Hyde Park a child of divorce and I could have made millions.

7. lostom66 says:

And Cardinal Bernard Francis Law Disgraced and quit was given a top seat at the Vatican. This is how the Pope protects his own.

8. Sara says:

I loved Spotlight….but Mad Max totally deserved best picture. The academy likes to pick the same type of movie every year…..the pounding your fist on the desk drama. That’s all they can ‘see’. Diversity is not the only issue they have….voters don’t even watch all the movies that get nominated…how can you have a fair vote when they’re only watching SOME of the movies…the ones they want to watch. They should be required to see ALL of them.

9. Will says:

Room was phenomenal, and my dark horse choice. Hopefully more people will see it with Brie Larson’s win.