The Oscars Listing Winners' Thank Yous On-Screen: Yea or Nay?

ABC’s broadcast of the 88th Academy Awards on Sunday attempted to fix the age-old problem of breathless, laundry list-style acceptance speeches that tend to get cut short by the “play off” music. At first blush, is the fix a hit or a folly?

Nominees for this year’s Oscars were invited to submit in advance a list of people they wanted to thank in the event that they win — to be displayed on a scroll across the bottom of the screen as they take the stage and presumably use their acceptance speech to express actual thoughts.

“Acceptance speeches have become a list of names and more often than not, time ran out before something could be spoken from the heart about the art, about the vision, about the experience, about the meaning of the moment,” producer David Hill explained of the “solution,” adding, “We needed to rethink how this could be a better experience for everyone.”

Which all sounds nice on paper, but: How did it play in actual practice? Vote in the poll below and share your thoughts in Comments.

1. Amanda says:

I’m not minding it. Im not really reading it. I think those mentioned will appreciate it.

2. ChrisShut says:

They’re still rattling off long boring lists of names to thank. What is this accomplishing?

• ABG says:

This. The speeches are still boring. The on-screen thing is OK, but the winners need to play along or it will be pointless.

3. JK says:

They are running so fast. If I was 1 of the names, I might miss it.

4. Mike M says:

If they would just scroll their speeches too, hold up the dress or suit they would be wearing and then race a courier across the stage to pick up the award for delivery it would all just be perfect and we’d be done in 30 minutes.

5. DavidSask says:

The Canadian feed doesn’t have this and I am happy it is that way!!

6. Cmarie says:

Not as absurd as the pop up video boxes next to each presenter though…

7. Grace331 says:

Hated it

8. Paloma says:

Do you think the people who were getting thanked liked the scroll? Because nobody reading the scroll had any idea who these people were, so getting thanked in public at the Oscars would have no commercial value for them. Maybe it has emotional or personal value, but I would think that the people getting the Oscars could give better thanks in person and perhaps hand out a share of the $230,000 swag bag to the people who needed to be thanked.

For me it was distracting and useless. At first I tried to read the names on the scroll, but didn’t know any of them and then I realized trying to read the scroll meant I wasn’t listening to the people do their important thanks out loud in front of 80 million people.

So No. Don’t do it again next year.

9. ncmacasl says:

I enjoyed the “fact bubbles” under each presenter. some of whom I had not heard from or was unfamiliar with their relation To Oscar-nominated films.

10. Marci says:

The scroll didn’t stop them from thanking everyone in their lives. After a while, I gave up and started fast forwarding through the speeches. (I always record the first 45 minutes before I start watching.)