Oscars 2016 Mark Rylance

Oscars 2016: Mark Rylance Wins Best Supporting Actor for Bridge of Spies

Yo, Adrian, Mark Rylance KO’d Rocky!

In Oscar 2016’s biggest upset (so far), the Bridge of Spies actor won Best Supporting Actor at Sunday’s 88th Academy Awards, prevailing over frontrunner Sylvester Stallone. The British thesp, who recently co-starred opposite Damian Lewis in PBS’ Wolf Hall, also beat out fellow nominees Christian Bale (for The Big Short), Tom Hardy (for The Revenant) and Mark Ruffalo (for Spotlight).

“I’ve always just adored stories, hearing them, seeing them, being in [them],” Rylance said in his acceptance speech. “So for me to have the chance to work with I think one of the greatest storytellers of our time, Steven Spielberg, it’s such an honor. And unlike some of the leaders we’re being presented with these days, he leads with such love.”

Do you think Rylance deserved the Oscar? Watch video of his win below, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. Jimmy says:

Wow. It would have been nice to see Sly win. He may never again get a chance at an Oscar nom for acting.

• Jobless says:

Yeah, because Mark Rylance is a perennial Oscar nominee. It’s a lot of people’s only chance at an Oscar.

• Jennifer says:

That was his first Oscar nomination. He wss the best thing about it. Have not seen
        “Creed” yet. Would have liked to seen both Rylance and Stallone win.

2. mistri says:

Just happy it was Mark Rylance and not that smug-faced jerk Mark Ruffalo. Although I would have liked Stallone to win, it gave me great pleasure to watch Ruffalo lose. You have to just imagine what it felt like to hear the name Mark and the last name starting with an R and that sinking feeling that it wasn’t you. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy.

3. Beckers0505 says:

Great movie! He was phenomenal in it. I was hoping he would win, but figured it a long shot!!! So happy!

4. Rita says:

That was Sylvester Stallone’s award.

5. Sarah says:

That has made my day. I’ve been lucky to see Mark Rylance on stage and he is an amazing actor. Fabulous in Bridge of Spies. Very well deserved.

6. Murica! says:

His performance in Bridge of Spies was great, but I was hoping Rocky would win.

7. Jeff Still says:

My heart was with Sly, but there are few actors of the caliber of Mark Rylance, so I am not disappointed. Lovely acceptance speech as well.

8. Becky says:

I was hoping either of the Marks. I’m happy with this, the best performance in a movie that had many great performances.

9. Roslyn slade says:

Met Mark in London after Farinelli, photo &autograph from him priceless, wonderful person, great on stage, t.v. And movies. Well deserved Oscar.

10. Kathleen O'Hara says: