Lady Gaga Oscars 2016

Lady Gaga Gives Powerful Oscars Performance of 'Til It Happens to You'

One year after melting faces with her Sound of Music tribute medley, Lady Gaga returned to the Oscars stage on Sunday for a haunting performance of “Til It Happens to You.”

The Oscar-nominated song, a collaborative effort between Gaga and acclaimed writer Diane Warren, already won Best Song in a Documentary at the 2015 Hollywood Music in Media Awards and was nominated for a Grammy earlier this month. It was written for the film The Hunting Game.

In the final moments of Gaga’s performance, the singer was joined on stage by survivors, both men and women, of sexual assault:

Needless to say, the audience reaction shots — including those of Rachel McAdams and Kate Winslet — were full of tears:

Gaga’s performance at the Oscars was the latest in a string of memorable live TV moments for the artist formerly known as Stefani Germanotta; She blew our minds with her visually striking David Bowie tribute at the Grammys, stole our hearts with her rendition of the National Anthem before Super Bowl 50, and earned our applause with her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes.

Your thoughts on Gaga’s performance? Drop a comment with your full review below.

1. Allie says:

Til it happens to you…. damn. You don’t get an opinion unless it happens to you and for me- that brought me to tears. #rapedat13

2. Ashton says:

How… How did not this song not win????

• bridyyc says:

Not only did it not win, it lost to a truly horrible song. Perhaps the worst Bond theme ever. Academy voters should be ashamed.

• kitsunesaru says:

seriously! The Bond song really isn’t even that good too… I’m not even a huge Gaga fan and I know they should have won.

• KatsMom says:

I was wondering that myself, but I was completely basing my decision on the performances tonight. I thought the Bond performance was all kinds of awful. Gaga hit it out of the park tonight with raw emotion. But I suspect that if I were sitting at home listening to a recording that can’t quite capture that raw emotion the same way, I would have found the song to be a little repetitive. I suspect that the Bond song sounds much better recorded. Lord knows it couldn’t sound worse. Yikes…

• Not Hardly says:

It didn’t win because the Academy is filled to the brim with men in the entertainment industry for whom this behavior is just boys-being-boys and a mindset of what’s the big deal…..

3. thisismenow says:

Powerful performance and song. Confused how this was snubbed.

• May says:

because it was really…really bad. That was a horrible performance.

• Ellen says:

May, I agree. This was the worst performance I’ve ever seen on the Oscars. Or on anything else. Absolutely awful. Why would this song win anything?

• tvjunkie says:

Her performance on the Oscars was horrible. Her voice was way off mark. She usually nails her performances, but this one sounded like she must have been sick or something and it affected her voice terribly.

• Annie says:

Truly do not understand the other replies to this comment. Were we listening to the same song?

4. BetsyBoo says:

*The Hunting Ground

5. Tom says:

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster it didn’t win! So sick of hearing about her

• May says:

Thank you Tom finally someone who is not tone def…It was really painful to watch that woman screeching like a cat with the over dramatized looks. I did not think it could get any worse than the Bowie Tribute.

• Tom says:

That and I’m tired of her facade, she has people eating out of her hand. She wants people to think she doesn’t care, but everything she does is seems to be pretty much planned out and targeted to who she wants to target too. Lemmy, there was someone who truly didn’t care what people thought of him and just did whatever he wanted

6. Mrs. H says:

For her and EVERY person journeying from the fake ‘power’ of sexually objectifying themselves to the Real power of loving and respecting themselves… To all who carry the invisible, secret writing of their survivorship and their strength… Blessings and Healing…

7. May says:

That was the worst performance by Lady Gaga. I did not think it could get any worse than that Bowie Tribute. The world must be tone def to give her a standing ovation.She needs to stick to dance music because that’s what she is best at. Ballads are not her thing. This over dramatic crap is just over the top and she comes off as silly and stupid.

• Annie says:

Uh – no. Agreed on the Bowie tribute – that was too ambitious, I think, not entirely Gaga’s fault – but this? No.

• GetHelp says:

May, you may want to consider counseling for your OCD. You seem to have posted essentially the same thing over and over and over. That kind useless repetitious behavior can be treated with therapy

• mary says:

Over dramatic? You do know she was a victim of abuse? Geez, whatever happened to if you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all? Yet here you are several times bashing her. Now would have been the time to not say anything.