MSNBC Melissa Harris-Perry Cancelled

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry Refuses to Host Her Show, Cites 'Painful, Difficult' Pre-Emptions

After weeks of seeing her eponymous MSNBC show pre-empted for election coverage, Melissa Harris-Perry says she will not return to host this weekend as asked by the cable news network.

Harris-Perry, whose show airs 10 am—noon on Saturdays and Sundays, told The New York Times that she hadn’t appeared on the network for weeks and wasn’t planning to do so this weekend, despite being asked to return. In an email to her staffers obtained by the Times, she wrote that the program had been “effectively and utterly silenced” — essentially cancelled — without discussion four years into its run.

Though Harris-Perry’s email contained some racially charged language (“I am not a token, mammy, or little brown bobble head”),  she later told the Times, “I don’t think anyone is doing something mean to me because I’m a black person” and added, “They shouldn’t kill us by attrition and take us off the air without telling anybody, including us. That for me is what’s painful and difficult.”

In a statement to the paper, an NBC News network spokesman said: “In this exciting and unpredictable presidential primary season, many of our daytime programs have been temporarily upended by breaking political coverage, including MHP. This reaction is really surprising, confusing and disappointing.”

1. I know how you feel Melissa. These caucuses and primaries totes sneak up on you, without warning or alerts. Fight the power girl.

2. Mrmank says:

What an absolute itch-bay!

• :) says:

Why must we call a woman names because she is a working professor with a family that commutes across country to this job? She has indicated that in addition to the preemption she has a problem with the notice given as to when the show would and would not be preempted since she has to arrange her classes, her family and her flights. I’m sure adequate notice would be something that is very important to her being able to do this job well.
      that being said I do find it rather interesting the conflict between what she wrote and what she said and I’m going to do more research to find out exactly why these two statements do seem to conflict

• gerryka says:

“… to find out exactly why these two statements do seem to conflict.”

Good luck! A rational explanation may not be discoverable, may not exist, especially when the conduct in question is not rational or consistent.

3. Never cared for her show, so good riddance. And her turning this into a racial thing is very typical for her. Joy Reid is so much more substantive in presenting a balanced POV than Mellitha Harrith-Perry ever was. Now if they would only elevate Steve Kornecki to prime time and lure Ezra Klein back, I would be happy. A Steve and Ezra show would be terrific.

• Mkword says:

I agree that “Kornecki & Klein” would be an awesome show.

But please, making fun of someone’s speech impediment is so not cool.

• Sally McLinn says:

Perry didn’t say anything about racism. Did you read something about racism?

• gerryka says:

“Perry didn’t say anything about racism. Did you read something about racism?”

Now, Sally McL…, how about MHP’s angry outburst, “I am not a token, mammy, or little brown bobble head”?

It was not I, but it was this article which labeled that as “racially charged language.” So, yes, when I read this article, I did indeed “read something about racism.”

• Latonja Bravo says:

MSNBC SUCKS!!!

4. Joey says:

I’m pretty sure everyone at the network received communication that there’s literally election coverage, I believe from 8am until 4pm (at least CST), every single day. Though they could’ve had her do an hour or two on Saturday or Sunday, she could just continue the same monotonous coverage that they’ve had every other day, rather than her usual stories.
    That being said, Joy Reid doesn’t seem to have a problem with the current format, and if I had to choose, I’d much rather prefer her take on the current political climate than MHP.

5. Matt says:

Sneaky how they cancel your show by asking you to show up for work. I have to give credit to her for seeing through this machiavellian ruse. How dare they offer you a paid vacation followed by a return to your regular show and hours.

6. Peter says:

MSNBC should be more considerate of their talent. That being said, I have never been a fan of the weekend’s Melissa Harris-Perry & Alex Witt, so I hope MHP is done. Give Joy Reid her show back!

7. Mark says:

Remember when she said star wars was racist..lmaoooo or that the term “hard work” was also racist…everything is racist to her. I actually feel bad for her.

8. Belle says:

I’m sorry, but this chic is totally insane! Her show isn’t good or popular, and I personally don’t know how she lasted as long as she did. Get over yourself, you are not the victim of racial discrimination – you just have a personality that viewers don’t like. Duh, being pre-empted by election coverage is 100% understandable!! This is a crucial time in our country, so yeah maybe TPTB went about it in the wrong way, but for you to shout racial discrimination without any shred of proof just makes you a whiner. You are talented, but your bedside manner is off-putting…maybe do some hands on journalism specials for MSNBC?? Just please stop playing the victim card, it isn’t working; it’s just making you look worse. Just my 2 cents.

9. L says:

I almost feel bad and then I remember that she defended drones because Obama ok’ed it. This neoliberal mess. As if the only lives worth valuation are American lives.

10. Mary says:

Really, MSNBC? You’re surprised? Considering you’ve done little but lean backward and to the right with near-wall-to-wall coverage of Donald Trump, I would say you’ve gotten exactly what you wanted: ratings at the expense of rationality and sane discourse.

11. Liz985 says:

Immature and unprofessional.

12. Hedy S. says:

Ms. Racist Who Wears Tampon Earrings, please stfu and don’t let the door hit you in the butt! I find your tampon earrings racist. Only rich white Republicans can afford tampons. Anyone else (Democrats) go on free bleeding.

• Jacqueline James. says:

too much Trump for sure in every area of media. I think she was an asset to the network. Tampon earrings are a mystery to me. Please explain.

13. Jay O Spinnet says:

Some people seem to think msbnc is moving to the right – I just assumed you go with the ratings – Trump is a fascination but I never thought their ideology changed!

14. Paul Pauls Jr says:

That’s how most of the Networks roll, for the most part

15. HAP says:

A few observations about MHP. She is a very well educated keen observer of today’s times.

As a former professor at University of Chicago, Princeton, Tulane and now her alma mater Wake Forest, she basically has a full time job.

I can’t blame her if she took this opportunity to bail on MSNBC.

I will miss her, but totally understand. Her academic schedule precluded her from being a contributor across the network shows.

And as has been mentioned, Joy Ann Reid, who also lost her show, is still available for the network to trot out commentators of color.

16. i’m sure all 5 of her fans are gonna miss her terribly

17. wjm980 says:

That’s how bad things have gotten at MSNBC….Not only does no one watch, not even the hosts want anything to do with it. C’mon Andy – show some backbone and just shut it down.

18. Sally McLinn says:

Is she still getting paid a salary if she’s pre-empted? I don’t understand this complaint. Wasn’t she on the air during the last election and what did the network do?

19. Mann says:

Really MSNBC you are taking off MHP whose has an excellent and exciting show. Instead you give us untrustworthy Brian Williams who is drier than the desert. On top of that you have hours of Chuck Dodd, real sleeper. With all do respect, why are those two sour pusses on. They are beyond boring. I miss Ed Schultz, Al Sharton and Up. What are you doing with such awful shows. I have mentally tuned out and found myself turning to anything but the current msnbc lineup.

20. Jeanette Anderson says:

Please return to the program We miss your interesting and intellectual viewpoints and the diversity your guest contribute to much needed dialog. I am a big fan of your work and program. I have not watched any msnbc!!!!!!

21. kdilworth says:

First Politics Nation ans now MHP? I call B.S. on M.S.N.B.C.

22. Beverly Dixon says:

MSNBC has done the same thing to many such as Rev All Sharpton, Ed Schultz,and a political line up that was full of varsity and gracious opinions. They have left us so we have to find other interest and move on! They lean too much to the right for me at this time!

23. gerryka says:

“This reaction is really surprising, confusing and disappointing.”

Hardly surprising; it’s easily understandable that a race-obsessed, resentful ingrate would have a temper tantrum. What is amazing is that, while MHP sees racism everywhere, she simultaneously sees it almost nowhere.

Specifically, all of our problems are attributed to bigoted white Americans — BUT, racism elsewhere in the world is rare if not non-existent. See, for example, MHP explain how racism is to blame for Americas’ rejection of socialism. (If asked, I suspect that MHP would blame white Americans for the Rwandan genocide.)

“So, the capitalism operates on our preferences, which are exogynist, which are fixed outside the system, and if racial bias is part of those preferences because of history, right, because we have this long history, then doesn`t it mean that the system must consistently have a corrective, right? So if, in fact, we just have a bias against certain kinds of bodies, don’t we then have to come in and correct that bias, even in order to make a free market system operate?” — MHP

24. spdavid says:

Far be it from MSNBC to air a show hosted by a known loon instead of covering what passes these days for legitimate news.I don’t like all the coverage but that doesn’t mean I don’t understand it and for a struggling property like MSNBC it might mean someone is actually watching the channel,which is what MSNBC cares about far more than Perry or her generally heavily biased looney tunes.The news channels have decided wall to wall political coverage with over the top fake gravitas equals revenue so get used to it.

25. Dr Venture says:

If you are such a political junkie that you are watching political shows on Saturday mornings, you need to seek professional help, at least for the sake of your 3 plus cat children.

26. This crazy broad hangs tampons from her ears and proclaims that the phrase “hard work” is racist because only the African slaves knew what hard work REALLY was. Let’s hope she doesn’t do something desperate like jump off the GW Bridge in protest. Wouldn’t that be a shame? Gosh, it really would be.

27. BYE BITCH. NEVER LIKED HER SHOW ANYWAY. GOOD FOR MSNBC. MAYBE I`LL START WATCHING THE CH AGAIN.

28. Brian says:

The 3 people who watch her show will be disappointed

29. Denise Guyette says:

I really love MHP and her show. It was refreshing to watch her diverse panel discuss important topics of the day. Melissa and her guests have opened my mind to new perspectives. I was really upset when I realized MSNBC had pre-empted her show for the primaries. I really wish MSNBC works hard to keep Melissa and her wonderful show. She is one of the main reasons why I started watching MSNBC.

30. Lilguy says:

Suck it up my dear, you’re a tv commodity with a finite shelf life. Be careful, there are a lot of angry young leftist that would love to fill you chair.

31. Friday Simpson says:

She now knows people would rather here the political news than listen to her silliness. She needs to grow up. No one is doing that because she is black. She is as silly as KatHy Lee and Hoda. She could join them and have the 3 silly girls show. They are all stupid and so phony laughs. She should lose the show. What makes her think she is so important.

32. Jacqueline James. says:

i hate to see her go, It was educational and inspiring to have a black, female, intellectual regularly appearing. The all politics format is a pain for those who are accustomed to the regular MSNBC viewers, at least at my house. I was looking forward to seeing her perspective on the elections and every important issue that is occurring in the USA and the rest of the world. Hope to see her again somewhere on TV.

33. Phyllis Bourgois says:

For the last several weekends I have turned on MSNBC to watch the Melissa Harris- Perry Show only to find more of the endless primary coverage. I didn’t watch every minute of her program but often recorded it when I would be out. She had interesting guests with varied points of view. I have been a fan of hers since she first would be a substitute host on other programs. I will miss her.

34. Len Hamble says:

Towards #NBCallWhiteCast. It’s happening!

35. Pat Whitman says:

Breaking News: News show host released from contract for refusing to do her show because the network was not letting her do her show. Sometimes being right isn’t enough, especially if she was wrong to refuse the gig. You sure showed them up, melissa

36. George N. Burkhardt, Jr. says:

The only show to address the cultural diversity and related issues. The show was insightfull and thought provoking. Nothing on like it. Such a loss.