Post Mortems
Fuller House Trailer

Fuller House EPs Talk D.J. and Steve's Premiere Fumble: 'He Jumped the Gun'

Given that D.J. is still mourning her firefighter husband on Fuller House, her inevitable reunion with high-school sweetheart Steve will require a bit of patience from fans. Unfortunately, as we saw in the premiere, patience isn’t exactly Steve’s forte.

“It seemed like he jumped the gun a little,” series creator Jeff Franklin admits to TVLine, referring to the way Steve basically pounced on his ex-girlfriend within a minute of stepping into her childhood home. But his answer also brings hope, as he adds, “That’s maybe a hint of something to come. … She’s single, she’s dating and Steve’s still around, so we’ll see what happens.”

One couple you shouldn’t hold your breath for, on the other hand, is Ramona and Jackson. Despite being hormonal teenagers living under the same roof, Franklin says that Kimmy’s daughter and D.J.’s son “are going to come to think of each other as brother and sister.”

Executive producer Robert Boyett refers to D.J. and Kimmy’s collective brood as a “step family” of sorts, meant to reflect the different types of home situations in America today. Staying true to the times is also the reason some of the humor — including a not-so-subtle masturbation joke in Episode 4 — is more risqué than the gags you might have seen on Full House.

“It’s more contemporary, more real,” Boyett explains. “Families talk more openly [than they did when Full House was on the air]. Children are much more exposed to everything because of social media, and even the things they see in film and on television. We wanted to be authentic, not just edgy for the sake of being edgy. … Kids are much more sophisticated today, so some of their conversations with their parents are more adult than they used to be.”

Your thoughts on Fuller House‘s series premiere? Hopes for D.J. and Steve? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. The first two episodes of Fuller House were very cool (that’s all I’ve seen so far). Not since Deadpool has the fourth wall been this abused. It was broken, shattered, beaten, and left a bloody mess on the floor, lol.

2. gr8one99 says:

The premier episode was pure fun and made as a love letter to the fans as it should be. The series after, I am pleased to say, captures the full house feel with enough of a fresh take as to connect with a younger crowd. All I want more of our beloved Steve and less of the ambercromby vet. Kimmys ex, while adding a good deal of humor, my need to be used a little more sparingly. After 13 episodes he gets too urkel-esque.

3. JoJo The Tire Man says:

Man Jodie Sweetin is too fine! That red dress tho… 😍😍

4. Jessica Lynn says:

The first episode is by far the best episode. Seeing everyone together, (even hot grownups Nicki and Alex!!!) is just pure amazing. I do think Steve came on a little strong, but he is just playing the same character he did on Full House! A lovestruck teenager. I actually said before I watched it that if Steve and DJ didn’t get together my heart would be broken. Hopefully Season 2 we see more character development for the kiddies, and maybe a cute long term BF for Stephanie!!!

5. Deb says:

My granddaughter and I watched the 1st 2 shows yesterday and enjoyed it a lot! It was refreshing to have a comedy I was pretty comfortable watching with her. Thank you!

6. Evie Eden says:

I loved this series, but honestly if I had to base my opinion just on the first episode I would not at all recommend it. Mostly because everything was so on the nose and lacked subtlety. And the moment with Steve was the worst example of this. It’s my least favorite moment of the season. I was so disappointed that the DJ and Steve relationship wasn’t eased into more. Frankly, the whole Steve and DJ rekindling seems so forced all together through out the season. It’s not that I don’t hope that they get back together, it’s just that I wished it seemed more natural.

7. Stacy says:

I honestly wish Jackson and Ramona would have a thing for each other and not just have a “brother / sister” type relationship only. I get how the writers want them to be mature and all that but still. I think it would be an interesting twist if Ramona were to become jealous of Jackson and Lola in a future episode if there is a chance.

• Yes, ikr! I mean from the start I was like “They’re gonna develop feelings for each other”. I just don’t like Jackson and Lola. Jackson and Ramona are much better together :). I really hope they have considered your idea cause that would really make my day.

8. Cassie Burgdorf says:

Will Jackson and Ramona ever get together and have a bigger relationship than a brother and sister relationship in season 2 or 3?