Grey's Anatomy Recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Life in Pieces

Where did it all go wrong? The question loomed large over this week’s Japril-centric Grey’s Anatomy. But, even after rewinding all the way to their first meeting, were the Averys able to agree on an answer? Would you be able to agree on one in the comments section? And, most importantly, were we left with any hope for the couple’s future? Read on, and we’ll find out!

SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE | Using the progress of a longtime patient of Jackson’s as a framing device, “Unbreak My Heart” zipped from era to era of his relationship with April. Our first pit stop? The day that Jackson was marrying… that patient, Tatiana!!! Wait, what?!? Next, we zapped to the point where April, already livid after being served with divorce papers in the ER, couldn’t believe that Jackson was giving up on therapy only four weeks in. “We have the same exact fight over and over again,” he argued. So what was the point of continuing? “When did you decide that you were done?” April demanded to know. Ironically, we subsequently saw that what he was going to tell her in the winter finale cliffhanger was that he wanted a divorce. However, in that moment, he could no longer be sure. If he allowed himself to just look at her, just be with her, then his mind changed. “I want you,” he confessed.

MISFORTUNE COOKIES | Later, we zapped to the moment when, over Chinese takeout, Jackson dared to use the D word, prompting April to sound an awful lot like she was blaming him for their lack of meaningful conversation since her return from Jordan. “It’s not blame,” she corrected him (and me, it felt like!), “it’s just fact.” In return, Jackson reminded her that after their son’s tragic demise, when they could have been talking, “You left me! You ran halfway across the world!” Unmoved, April insisted that when Samuel died, she died inside in some more significant way than Jackson did. She knew this, she argued, because he was coping. Only “I wasn’t coping,” he admitted. “I was covering… to take care of you.” Eventually, April became so angry that she threw fortune cookies at Jackson and, as one will, they indulged in bad-idea sex.

CRIB NOTES | Closing in on halftime, we discovered that April had asked Jackson to go to Jordan with her. And though he said that he wouldn’t abandon the patients that depended on him the way she was abandoning him, he did try to make — and just missed making — the flight. Over the holidays, as April tried desperately to reach her husband, Tatiana was growing closer to her plastic surgeon, who we saw not taking apart but tearing apart Samuel’s crib. Next, we flashed to Jackson trying to snap April out of her grief by bringing up the idea of having another baby. Alas, she was, let’s say, not receptive. “Screw you for even suggesting that!” she hissed. Since a linear narrative would be just too easy, next we jumped backwards to the happy dance that the Averys did upon learning that they were expecting.

RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCES | By and by, we joined the newlyweds on their flight to see her folks. When Jackson balked at leading the family in a prayer to make a good (if false) impression, April wondered if “maybe I didn’t know who I was marrying.” Rewinding further, April declined to have premarital sex with Jackson on what would have been her and Matthew’s wedding night… then changed her mind and pulled him into her hotel room. However, they were still having fundamental disagreements about whether to have God on the guest list for their nuptials. Subsequently, we leapt to the day that April gave Jackson a pep talk before the first of his fortysomething surgeries on Tatiana, who, it turned out, had had acid thrown in her face. (Nice mention of Mark, by the way.) Going back even further, April complained to Jackson that, when she was held at gunpoint, her life flashed before her eyes, and it was so boring! She didn’t want to die a virgin. Next, we saw the moment that April and Jackson met at Mercy West. (He was uncomfortable being questioned about his surname, she was insanely perky.)

SURPRISE? | As the episode drew to a close, April signed the papers ending her and Jackson’s fairly brief, unfairly heartbreaking marriage. But — and this is a big “but” — that wasn’t the end of the hour, nor is it necessarily the end of their story. In the last minute, April revealed to Arizona that she was pregnant. Oh, and Jackson wasn’t marrying Tatiana as we were led to believe — she was marrying someone else, Jackson was just walking her down the aisle.

So, what did you think of “Japril the Movie”? Are you hoping the baby will bring them back together again? Hit the comments!

1. Afrouz N says:

#Japril 4 Ever!!!!

• Arti says:

Agreed!! Japril forever.. The flashbacks were painful.. the fights AND the happy ones.. So painful considering how much they were put through in such a short time.. I believe they’ll find their way back but it was still hard to see them separate like this. But im SO glad for this episode. Goes to show just HOW much happened off screen with those 2.. 12×24, Im counting on ya for a reunion.

• anon says:

Agreed! And I’m not really here for all these comments about how horrible April is. She never forced Jackson to do anything and it doesn’t sound like she’s going to start.

• Mike says:

No, but she also compromised at every turn. Their differences were obvious from day one. This episode only pinpointed them even more so. And I’m still of the opinion leaving after the baby died was a poor idea. She did ask him to go with her. I’ll give her that, but it was a decision they should have made as a couple. It felt selfish to me.

2. Pamela says:

After all that they might still get back together because she’s pregnant?! How long is this going to go on for.

• Rook says:

I don’t think they’ll get back together while April is pregnant. I think they’ll try to do the whole raising the child together but not as a couple. Then once the baby is born they’ll probably get together sometime after.

• Kristen says:

Yes, because a couple that can’t even have a remotely successful relationship without a child is going to miraculously make the perfect couple now that a child has been brought into the equation. Riiiiiiiiight.

3. Tiffany says:

Man Jackson was almost free!!!

• bigdede says:

I know right!

• Miss Rozie says:

But then … Jackson decided to hop into bed with his wife & have some really hot sex. And maybe SHE shouldn’t take HIM back, since HE was the one who wanted O.U.T. Cuz it’s not a marriage if one person wants to live with one foot in and one foot out. He wanted out, he’s out.

4. PoorJackson. April is a miserable character. I can’t believe how horrendous she’s become.

5. mercurio6662015 says:

I have not bothered to read this long commentary on the chapter on partne April and Jackson. First this couple bores me, they have devoted a whole chapter, which of course I have not seen, not interest me their love troubles. Shonda guess is exploring whether there is a couple able to capture the support of the fans. But I think it is not possible to achieve in a short time such a charismatic partner as Meredith and Derek. They have been eleven seasons during which they have gone through all kinds of vicissitudes that his love was overcome step by step, while fans we were going getting attached to them

6. Tony says:

I like April and Jackson. I like them together. However, she clearly still doesn’t get why Jackson is hurt and angry. It’s like she can’t step out of her own self centeredness to see it. I’m glad he’s (at the moment) moving on

7. Arti says:

“fairly brief, unfairly heartbreaking marriage”.. Couldnt have said it better myself. So bloody unfair.

8. Meika says:

I want to April and Jackson get back together. I know its against Shonda and the feminist agenda but for once can love conquer all on one of her shows. Jpril forever

9. Marcie says:

Can’t stand either one of them. Glad to be warned not to watch this one.

10. dil says:

that was one insane hour. really good writing…n i dont think jackson signed those papers….

11. DawnMac says:

Wasn’t this season suppose to be more lighthearted???

12. Really? A pregnancy to hang around Jackson’s neck? That April is selfish and crazy. To stick Jackson with her is soooooooo unfair.

13. Prudence says:

IMHO worst episode of Gray’s ever. I found it boring and pointless. April has irritated me since she first appeared and her relationship with Jackson has always seemed disingenuous. I was hoping divorce would be the end to my personal misery, but alas, no.

• RoJo says:

Yes!! This episode was so dull!! 45 minutes with only 10 minutes of actual story progression. Why did we have to watch what we already knew all along? Jackson and April were in love, lost a kid and now having issues with their marriage.

The whole episode felt like scenes they didn’t use in old episodes and decided to stick all in this one.

14. Sunny says:

I think this episode was excellent. Japril is a complicated couple. I think both characters tend to be selfish and their relationship was rushed. Yes, they were best friends but they never dated, talked about what they needed, children, religion, how they wanted to be or their future. They rushed directly into marriage- it was a terrible idea.

I have always disliked the idea of April and Jackson together due to the terrible way she treated him when they started having sex but eventually they grew on me. However, the way she dismissed his grief and even now is still making Samuel’s loss all about her? Just no. I also think Jackson should have tried in therapy longer after he let her believe he was trying. Both were in the wrong but April’s transgressions seem deeper and more egregious.

There are so many cracks in the foundation of this marriage, beyond the loss of Samuel. I think they needed to let go.

• Alichat says:

I too thought 4 weeks of therapy wasn’t long enough, but the more April spoke, the more I could see why he gave up at that point. I really think if she would sincerely apologize for having left him when he needed to grieve, he’d not be so focused on divorce and moving on. But every time she says “I’m sorry”, it’s dripping in annoyance and indifference. It’s said with the same amount of heart as if she’d accidentally spilled red wine on his favorite pair of pants which she never liked. I’m not saying she’s totally at fault, but I agree with you that her transgressions are deeper. I have all ideas this story would be different if she’d not left on the second trip. But she became so wrapped up in herself…..her baby….her loss….her grief….her pain….her wants….her needs….

• Lexie says:

“It’s said with the same amount of heart as if she’d accidentally spilled red wine on his favorite pair of pants which she never liked.”

THIS!! x1000.

I am a huge Japril fan but it is beyond time to move her out of her self-absorption. They even went back and inserted it into moments that were perfect the way they were (the wedding). I don’t believe for one second April is “healed” like she keeps saying, but this was the first episode I started to think the show does want us to think she is. In that case there’s something seriously off with the writing and acting because she’s been loopier than ever this season.

15. kath says:

I”m happy for the Japril shippers. I hope they enjoyed it.
    But who thought it was a good idea to have an episode of April and Jackson fighting for an entire hour?
    And the pregnancy at the end was a cheap shot.

16. N says:

I like Japril. Loved the ending. I want them to be together!

17. Shea says:

I love April and Jackson together. I really hope they get back together.

18. NotAnselAdams says:

Very boring.

19. Mika02 says:

Another great episode but I hate April. She not only Neurotic but so selfish as well.

20. Jessica says:

I hate April. Damn it Jackson was almost free. Ughh another pregnancy on the show!!

21. shannonmctx says:

All the flashbacks only reminded me of why they were mismatched. Their very foundations and outlooks are different. Marriage vows and her religion are everything to April and they aren’t to him.

22. Hannah says:

Incredibly annoying

23. abz says:

This episode would have been a lot better if it weren’t for the poor editing choices. I found them very choppy and distracting. I am someone who can follow a story pretty well. I see people complain all the time about how flashbacks confuse them, but for me, Flashbacks, flashforwards, flash sideways. I’m usually good with all of them. Even in this episode I followed everything that went on. However it just did not flow well. I don’t know if that was their goal.
    I feel like quite a bit of their issues aside from their trauma of losing the baby stem from the fact that April cannot listen. She just talks and talks and it takes forever to get through to her. Even aside from her desire to work on the marriage and her pushiness, at times she is just unwilling to let Jackson express himself and she exasperates him to the point where he sometimes doesn’t want to bother any more. She doesn’t even let him finish his sentence, or thought.
    I don’t mind Jackson/April, I’m just not that invested in their relationship. The highlight of the episode for me was when Meredith walked while they were dancing and asked “who died?” I burst out laughing. She’s so messed up and I still love her for it lol.

• Pato says:

I dont know how much attention you all were paying, but for me particularly, i followed the present to past line very carefully, and i think that they missplaced the order of the scenes about the shooting and april’s “i am a virgin” scene. That last one showed up later than the shooting but was from season 7…I may have to rewatch to confirm it was not done more than once in the episode, but if it was not, thay are not very committed to not mess up…

• Pato says:

Editing wise at least. But apart from that, my only complain about the episode was the sad ending, i thought they would not sign the papers

24. grace says:

I always love japril but what the point of this ep if they divorced???…and i don’t like the pregnancy twist

25. Matt C. says:

I’m kinda glad they decided to divorce, just because a happy ending after all of those flashbacks would have been so predictable. It’s still sad though, especially now that April is pregnant! Did not see that coming at all. I can’t wait to see how this plays out.

26. Sarah says:

What a waste of an episode. So boring. So we can get to the point of them divorced they needed a whole hour? Meh.

27. Lea says:

One of the worst episodes. I found it really pointless.
    The highlight was the cute dancing scene plus Meredith’s line stole the whole “movie” for me lol.

28. Nancy says:

It seems everyone is taking shots at April. While I love both April and Jackson, it is Jackson who has had so many partners in this series while April stayed true to herself and Jackson who was her only partner. I do hope they get back together.

29. Karina says:

I love April and Jackson separately, but together it just doesn’t work. They are totally different and the episode just showed us how it never would’ve worked in the long run. I think April was smart not to tell Jackson because he probably would’ve caved or something and they would’ve been unhappy with a child. I think they will grow with the time apart from each other and learn to just respect each other.

30. LaLa says:

Not for nothing . . . . I LOVED the happy dance in the break room. Kept rewinding it. It was just so cute (even Karev).

31. TinLV says:

I love Jackson and April together and want things to work out. I don’t think for a minute that Jackson signed those divorce papers and when he finds out she’s pregnant, they will try again to make it work. I am rooting for them.

• Kristen says:

Ditto. They didn’t show him signing and the comments about them being so opposite are frustrating. What type of adventure and story would it be if you married someone exactly like you. Life is messy, painful and you grow. This is their story. They just haven’t healed from Samuel’s loss and that’s keeping them in and spin cycle of “who’s at fault”. They need time and more than four weeks of counseling.

32. A fan of TV says:

The baby WILL bring them back together, and that’s just pretty convenient. The only thing that would even half-justifiably keep these two together is a baby and the writers made it so.

Personally, I think they’d be awful co-parents if NOT together (because they don’t have well-aligned views of parenthood and don’t respect how the other would raise the kid unchecked), so this is for the best. But its to the detriment of a realistic story arc for two people in love who just aren’t compatible long term, who love each other more than they’re prepared to stop being selfish. Neither one should have to change who they are to make it work, and now they’ll be held together with baby glue, which is just superficial.

Oh well, Parenthood never really pulled the trigger on a realistic divorce storyline either, so I’ll just assume I’m the only person on earth interested in watching such a storyline play out on one if my shows.

33. sri says:

most boring episode ever!!!!! Just couldn’t watch after 15 minutes. Just skipped to the ending! I was excited after the last episode to see if Meredith dates again

34. CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

Eh, Shonda will just kill off this one too.

35. nomvuyo says:

I don’t like the “new” April….

36. Erin B says:

I think Jackson & Tatiana have more chemistry than he with April.

37. Terrolyn says:

I hated that they signed the divorce papers and I could see the pain in both their eyes. If it was that painful then they shouldn’t have gone through with it. I love the fact that April is pregnant now maybe this time around they can communicate more and also get to know one another a little bit more and in the end if they decide to get back together then yes that will be good but if they just decide to co-parent together then it will still be ok. But I hope Shonda takes this into another direction Japril needs to sit down and talk to one another both are hurting due to the loss of baby Samuel and neither dealt with the pain together as a couple. So I’m looking forward to the next chapter of Japril come on Shonda don’t completely ruin this couple I mean there is still a come back for them.

38. NJMark says:

I don’t know much about food allergies, but can April have Chinese food if she’s allergic to peanuts? I thought that often involved the use of peanut oil.

39. Amanda J says:

That ending! It made me want to shatter my tv. I was enjoying watching what I thought was the end of Jackson and April. I don’t mind the Dr. Kepner stuff but April outside of the er is insufferable to me. Jackson was potentially free, we didn’t see him sign the papers after all. Then bam! Pregnant?! God this will be painful to watch. Shondas bag of tricks may finally be empty. Lame.

40. Nana Chamberlain says:

For the love of God, can we just have a happy ending? Japril’s story gave us hope of true love. How can Shonda shatter our hopes so brutally? I was so happy for their relationship, it’s highs and lows but for it to end is so frustrating.

41. Velocisexual says:

I miss the days when Grey’s Anatomy at least pretended to be about the medical stuff.

42. Stephanie mitchell says:

Painful…but the true h was told……holding on is never worth it

43. MLO says:

Wasn’t sure whose side I was on but after watching this episode I have decided that April is a selfish dick.

44. Seriously, two new shows and then what is essentially a Jackson and April clip show???? Really tired of both of them, then the cliche “did he sign the papers??” and wow!, I am pregnant! **big yawn**

45. Bekah says:

For once could a couple actually stay together on this show please. I love/loved April and Jackson as a couple and I feel it is unfair to write them off just yet – they haven’t had it easy or been given a proper chance as a couple. Hopefully with April pregnant again things will somehow find a way of getting better for these two. #japrilforever

46. Guest says:

Loved this episode and both of the actors were phenomenal! One of the best Greys episodes in a while..

47. Paul says:

April seems to believe she should be allowed to do whatever she feels like doing, and it will not affect other people in the slightest. A lot of immature people have that attitude. Jackson is better off without her. And he’s not much better – remember that both of them were content to inflict severe emotional damage on others in order to get married in the first place.

It would be interesting to see what the stats say about causes of divorce. I’ll bet death of a child is high on the list – but what it really did, here, was reveal that the marriage was constructed on a foundation of quicksand.

48. naura vazquez says:

AS THE FLASHBACKS OF THEIR PAST SHOWED A LOT OF PAINFUL, UNAGREEABLE MOMENTS WITH APRIL AND JACKSON, IF YOU READ IN BETWEEN THE LINES, THERE WAS ALSO MOMENTS WHERE THEY UNDERSTOOD EACH OTHER AND THE LOVE BETWEEN THEM NEVER ENDED. YES, I HOPE THAT APRIL AND JACKSON GET A CHANCE AT HAVING THEIR BABY AGAIN. HAVE A CHANCE AT THEIR LOVE AND DREAMS.

49. mercurio6662015 says:

What a lot of articles for a chapter of little media interest; I think there are too many items with the same information there are boring to talk about a couple whose story has never had charm, they have always been a couple of second line, which was used to fill in Chapters . Maybe it is because the media has been occupied by Patrick Dempsey vacation with his family in St Barts. It seems that Shonda Rhimes is very interested in outshine the appearances of Dempsey. Maybe, or she is busy with hers multiple series, and no longer pays due attention to the oldest, or is afraid of the reaction that their actions provoke in the dissenting fans who follow more active than she expected these heights when we’re about to reach the first anniversary of the disappearance of the character of Derek.
    It seems that trying to remember the monographic history of April and Jackson couple. The idea of exploring life would be like if the character had made a different decision, is not new. In the series two episodes one dedicated to Meredith, episode 13 of Season 8 (What IF) and another dedicated to Cristina in season 10. I think I’ve read the other characters appear briefly, Mrs. Pompeo ¿if it is less than 2 minutes display no longer be the main character? They are copying the episodes aired. I think they intend to create a nonexistent MerDer. parallelism with the couple, because they, MerDer, are irreplaceable, while Jackson and April are anything but a dream couple.
    I think now the writers are not able to develop varies simultaneous plots in episodes. Maybe it’s because of lack of imagination that they only write about a couple and a few dialogues of the remaining cast. Of course now that I think maybe the new directors are not able to run more than two players. Where are the writers and directors of the first few seasons? The episodes were full of dynamism and dialogues between the original internal were bright; it felt that the episode lasted only 5 minutes, because life is eternal in five minutes.¡¡ How I miss those time!!
    What most inspiring comments Sarah: She talks about her physical appearance and how was her hair; I think an actor should worry and talk about how to interpret these distant scenes where her character that was different from the character who now plays. Well I not surprised me too I read an article that said she was so happy with the scripts of the team that if she had to interpret scripts written by other writers she would be sick. I hope Shonda not have planned / scheduled without hers character because it would difficult to continue working in interpretation.

50. tvadictmom says:

Grey’s needs to wrap up and be done already. Making April preggers the day she’s divorced seems like a day time soap plot.