Exclusive
The Walking Dead Sex Scene

Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira 'Campaigned' for Unscripted Nude Scene

Rick and Michonne ended up showing a good deal more skin than was initially intended during their first big romantic encounter in Sunday’s The Walking Dead — and you have Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira to thank for that.

When it came time to shoot the climactic scene in which Jesus (Tom Payne) interrupts Rick and Michonne’s morning-after canoodle session, Lincoln recalls asking his leading lady, “‘How are we going to top the kiss?'” The short answer: More nudity!

As the actor explains, Angela Kang and Corey Reed’s original script called for an au naturel Michonne to “cover herself” with a sheet upon jumping out of bed. “Danai said, ‘No, she wouldn’t. She’d go for her sword.’ And I said, ‘Yeah. And Rick would go for his gun. And we’d both be naked.’

“So we campaigned for the butt-crack shot [at the end],” Lincoln adds, proudly. “That wasn’t in the script. We both said, ‘If we’re going to do it, let’s do it.'”

Scroll down for an uncensored look at the, ahem, end result of the actors’ successful bare-bottomed crusade. And for my complete post mortem with Lincoln about the birth of ‘Richonne,’ click here.

The Walking Dead Nude Scene

1. wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I love it!!!

• wrstlgirl says:

I must add though that I’m way more interested in this Jesus character than I am anyone’s love life. I’m staying out of the argument when it comes to that. I could care less who sleeps with who. All I ask is please don’t make this show a soap opera full of relationship drama.

• AM68 says:

Ummm… are you new to watching the show? This IS a soap opera filled with relationship drama – and zombies.

• Guest says:

You think so? I feel like since the Rick/Lori/Shane triangle the show has steered pretty clear from the kind of stuff.

• wrstlgirl says:

And even that triangle wasn’t really all that angsty. (that’s not a real word but I’m using it anyway, HA!)

• A fan of TV says:

Not entirely clear of that. There was the bit at the end of 6A where Abraham admitted he was romantically intrigued by Sasha and she told him he had to take care of some things (ie. Rosita) first. Haven’t seen the follow up from all that yet since they’ve been busy but you would assume Rosita will fall in with Spencer as the show has telegraphed their chemistry in the past…not to mention Rick made no bones about his feelings for Jessie while Pete was still alive, Axel tried to get with anything with breasts for his short time on the show, thought Carol was gay cuz of her haircut…plus Tara always manages to find love among the ruind., and of course Glenn and Maggie had to overcome her father’s uncertainties about their relationship…the romantic drama is there, it’s just understandably secondary to the survival storylines.

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahahaha, that’s a good one. I’ve watched past seasons of this show over and over again so many times I could quote script in a lot of cases. I’m talking soap opera style relationship drama. Angst, lying, cheating and so on. This is not even close to that.

• Bwhit says:

I’m gonna disagree on this one. There has been very little angst in this show. Lori/Shane/Rick was dealt with without a ton over the top drama. I would say the only moment that maybe came close to that happened with Shane and Lori at the CDC where she scratched him and maybe when she told him to stay away from Carl. Glenn and Maggie have pretty much been the relationship quota on this show and they have had small hiccups but not distracting relationship drama, and sorry I don’t count them both almost biting it relationship soap opera angst. I would venture to guess what the they are saying is, don’t turn it into the focus of the show, it happened, great, but don’t lose focus of the theme which has never been about who is sleeping with who. Just my opinion, you may watch the show differently than I do.

• Without over the top drama…REALLY??? So trying to rape your best friends wife and then later kill him isn’t over the top? Killing Otis to save Carl, because let’s face if Shane had not been that into Lori he wouldn’t have carried that much about Carl, as proven by his lack of interest in finding Sophia. Or the fact that Carl had to shoot him isn’t over the top? The very first sex scene we had between Lori and Shane wasn’t over the top…I guess a lot of us in TWD fandom have differing version of what constitutes over the top.

Andrea and The Governor wasn’t over the top?

Michonne hasn’t been with a man sense she got on the show. None, as compared to the comics, and Rick has only been with Lori and Jesse (did Jesse bother you too, or is just Michonne and Rick you have a problem with?) The relationship between Rick and Michonne just started, so why don’t you chill and see how it plays out first before dumping all over it. Both Rick and Michonne are extremely level headed, not the type of couple to be dramatic for drama’s sake. Michonne is taking part of Andrea’s story line from the comics, as far as I can remember (haven’t read it lately) nothing too dramatic happens between them. I’ll all for having different views, but 99.9 % of the time the reason people give for not wanting Michonne (almost always Michonne and never RIck) are asinine at best, but I’m not going to address that elephant because no one (well a few people have been) can ever be honest about why they really dislike seeing Rick and Michonne together.

Being in a relationship doesn’t make a show a soap opera, it makes it real life. So what if they’re in the middle of the apocalypse they’re still human, and now there somewhere relatively safe and normal, and what they’re not supposed to hook up because it would become a soap opera? Thus far Rick and Michonne relationship is waaaaay less dramatic than what went down between Jesse and Rick, yet TWD fandom doesn’t complain half as much about that ship. I wonder why?

• Bwhit says:

I’m not taking about Over the top sex scenes or debating what a jerk Shane was or the decisions he made on his own, I’m replying to a person who said this show has been all about RELATIONSHIP DRAMA first, and I disagree with that point, jeez! I love the idea of Rick and Michonne and think they would be the ultimate power couple and that scene was wonderfully shot I might add. I am on board for this ‘ship’ and I loved the slow burn of Rick and Michonne (I don’t put names together, it bugs me personally but I don’t try to make assumptions who do use them nor do I judge). I will say this one more time, I like relationships on shows and this one has been a long time coming and earned (and no I was not a fan of Jessie and Rick at all because she didn’t know him or understand him like Michonne) , I don’t like when the couple becomes the focal point of the show like this, like if we don’t see them interact for a few episodes because ya know it’s the apocalypse it’s still okay because you know they are together (like Glenn and Maggie), that’s what I like in relationships with shows and TWD has done that well. But thanks for taking my comment completely out of context in relation to Rick and Michonnne!

• A fan of TV says:

If you’re staying out of the argument, why are you offering your personal opinion? That’s not staying out of it, that’s bringing it up, for one, and adding your two cents, for another. I mean honestly, staying out of it means not being the person who brings it up first ;)

• wrstlgirl says:

Nice try. The article was about the hook-up and end scene so I didn’t bring it up. And saying that I could care less about who sleeps with who is not taking a side, which is the point. Tootles.

• A fan of TV says:

I didn’t fail. You brought up the very subject you said you didn’t want to talk about, which was unsurprisingly followed by a cascade of commentary and opinions which you then countered with more of your own. Just calling a spade a spade, but it doesn’t bother me. Obviously, I’m not naive about my desire to talk about the love and relationships on the show. When you say you’re staying out of the argument regarding relationships, I’m not implying you’re saying whether you ship Richonne or not, you said you’re staying out of the relationship argument in general when clearly you aren’t, and expressing your opinion of having love on the show, period, stating you care more about Jesus than the love stories. I’m pointing out that the words you wrote were contradictory, but I think you assumed I knew you were talking about your thoughts on Richonne even though nothing I said indicated that. Toodles.

• MichelleR says:

They’ve always had some of that. Aside from Rick and Shane and That Person, we have more than once had the main drama be if Glenn and Maggie will meet up again.

I doubt at this late date that angle will ever outweigh the zombies. But caring about the characters and what they want only adds to the tension when they’re in danger. Only through that do the people who make the show get the reactions to the deaths.

• wrstlgirl says:

“that person” LOL, I take it you didn’t care for Lori :-) I explained myself better in another comment below but what I meant by soap opera relationship drama I’m talking about the ridiculous jealousy’s and fighting over stupid crap that you find in daytime dramas. We saw a little bit of it between Rick and Pete and again with Carl, Enid and Ron but fortunately the bad eggs were taken out before it became ridiculous. Absolutely everyone needs a partner or BFF that they care about and grieve for if they are lost or killed. That’s why we love these characters the way we do. Hope this makes better sense.

• Jeri says:

I’m ready for something more then blood and fighting. Evert episode is the same after a while. Needs to shake it up a little. Go for it!

2. Ian says:

I like the relationship drama because it doesnt overtake the high stakes drama. Its the apocalypse. Its human nature for people to want to cling to the only thing they have left and the only thing as important as pure survival: love. And Richonne has been a long time coming and its well earned.
    It just remains to be seen what these showrunners’ plans are now that theyve finally gone there. Can they maintain it in a way that’s interesting and yet will keep people happy?

• wrstlgirl says:

That’s what I’m saying. Have the relationships, etc. but don’t let them over shadow what the show is really all about. I didn’t even realize that Denise was a lesbian, either that or it just didn’t matter to me. No one is talking about the fact that she and Tara are together. If they were before the two month time jump I completely missed it, LOL!!

3. Larz says:

From everything I’m reading and seeing these two are the greatest ,I want more. I don’t even watch this show but I’m going to watch all 5 seasons now just for RIchonne. I’ve fallen in love. Hopefully there’s more to come in Season 6!

• KayCeeCee says:

Me too!!

• PaisleyPark says:

LOL! I only just started watching this show a couple of weekends ago when the marathon was on, and I only watched because everyone is always talking about how good a show it is. I was surprised that I actually ended up liking it! It really is good! I didn’t see the first few seasons, but saw lots of episodes from season 5 and 6. And in the eps I did see, you can totally tell that there was an attraction between Rick and Michonne. It’s easy to ship them! I’m like you….I said I’m going to start watching religiously now. Lol.

4. Jose gomez says:

This show have to be clean no nude scene. I think this show don’t need any nude scene

• Melody says:

But of course bloody corpses are acceptable! Talk about hypocrisy. LOL

• Anna says:

LOL. It’s funny how blood/gore/death is so easily welcomed/applauded/accepted but half a butt shot or a semi-nude scene and it’s time to be up in arms. Seems a little unfair in this day and age. We’re not watching Mary Poppins, here.

• MichelleR says:

I have to think the poster is kidding, because no one could be that unaware, right?

• A fan of TV says:

Clean? So the whole biting out a man’s throat and almost raping a kid passes muster, but buttcrack crosses a line? You must be trolling…

5. Mark says:

No they have amc and the bright spark who decided to kill Andrea off for last night. Kirkmans promise of bringing the show back closer to the comics is failing missiably… To many main charaters killed needlessly

6. DarkDefender says:

:: slow clap ::
    Thank you, Danai and Andrew. Thank you.

7. Grace says:

Nice placement of the AMC logo, lol. So excited about Richonne!

8. TJ says:

Just when I thought I couldn’t love Andrew and Danai more…

9. Ellinaras78 says:

If that was more skin, I guess they would have been completely dressed in the alternative. And to think it’s cable.

10. Elizabeth says:

Love the butts. Love them both.

11. larry says:

There is a clear Adam and Eve moment here. The garden of Eden couple became ashamed of their nakedness in front of God after they had eaten from the forbidden fruit. Ric and Machonne instead contront Jesus unashamed and defensive from such treachery in the new world.

12. Vasya Bricklyn says:

This was completely unneccesary. TV is full of t!ts and @$$ dramas. You go full t!ts and @ss when you have nothing of substance left to sell.

• riko813 says:

No it wasnt. True warriors dont worry about clothing in the face of danger. It would have been stupid and totally out of character for either character to grab a sheet in modesty in the sight of danger. It is realistic and authentic. These are two of the best warriors in the apocalypse. They have faced a whole shit load of people trying to kill them. Covering their nudity to them isnt ranked higher than not getting killed and protecting their family.