Madam Secretary Season 2 Recap

Madam Secretary Recap: 'Tip of the Spear' — Plus: Henry's Fate Revealed!

Oh, Henry.

Madame Secretary‘s mister spent much of Sunday’s episode seemingly in danger: His heroic acts following the suicide bombing in last week’s episode left him in the hospital, being treated for radiation poisoning, and possibly beyond medical help.

To make matters worse, Elizabeth found herself sequestered at the White House until the government got a handle on what had happened — meaning while the kids worried and Henry lay in a contamination unit, the Secretary of State was in lockdown with her boss, preoccupied with the very good chance that her man was heading toward that great lectern in the sky.

To take her mind off things, Elizabeth, her staff and a lot of other high ranking officials tried to figure out where the bomber had gotten the uranium for her incendiary device. Long story short, a Libyan terrorist was behind it all, and eventually President Dalton & Co. were pretty sure they had enough intel to bomb his compound. So they did… but later find out that he wasn’t there at the time.

Happy to be alive and wanting to kick bad guy butt, the first thing Henry did when he returned home was to contact Jane and tell her he wanted back into DIA. But she had some bad news: Someone at a higher level put a big red NO on his application.

He thought it was because Elizabeth doesn’t want him to return to his spy job — and she doesn’t — but she wasn’t responsible for the refusal. As we learned, that came straight from President Dalton, who later showed up at the McCord house with Russell and a job offer: He’s starting a working group (proposed by Elizabeth) to be the “tip of the spear” when it comes to eradicating the elusive terrorist and his organization… and the prez wants Henry to be part of it.

A NO-BRAINER | Even better, the State Department will know what this group is up to, meaning that Henry and Elizabeth won’t have to keep secrets about their jobs from each other anymore. An energized Henry barely had to think about it before he answered, “Yeah, I’m in.”

Elsewhere, Nadine hosted Matt when he didn’t want to spend the night in his apartment, thanks to its proximity to the site of the bombing. He was surprised she’s not a cat lady. And I’m not sure where — if anywhere — the show is going with this storyline, but I definitely got a Cam-Arastoo vibe from the two of them during the hour (where my Bones peeps at?!).

What did you think of the episode? Were you afraid for Henry’s life? Sound off in the comments!

1. Stacey says:

I’d read Tim Daly may have wanted out – glad to see it wasn’t true. Although, even after he went home, I thought he may take a turn for the worst. I blame that thinking on years of Shondaland trauma!

• BM says:

I’d be more than surprised if that were to happen. At least, at this point in the show because everyone seems to be gushing about the characters as a couple and individuals and Daly seems to really like his character.
      I like them both and wouldn’t want to have to miss either. There’s little I don’t love about the show but the relationship between the two main characters is probably what I love most and I’m excited to see where this will go.

2. bj says:

Thanks for the great recap, Kimberly.

I’m so glad they are finally able to talk. Now instead of wasted words every week as they explain to each other why they can’t tell what’s wrong with them, we might actually get some great conversations. After all, they’re very supportive of each other and they’re both brilliant at their jobs. I’m definitely looking forward to this.

I thought Henry recovered rather quickly but my heart was appreciative. lol

I also thought the Nadine and Matt scenes were interesting. I agree about the Cam-Arastoo vibe, and I’d love to see more scenes with them.

There were some quotes that had me giggling in the midst of all the drama.

Example: When Elizabeth said, ” I thought religion was the opiate of the people” to young Jason and he came back with, ” It is, but everyone needs a hit once in a while.”

3. Ajn says:

Not a Tim Daly fan. Think there is way too much of Mr. McCord on Madam Secretary.

• Maryann says:

Respectfully differing here. I love Tim Daly on the show and Madam Secretary is much richer for his presence.

• Gwen says:

I agree with Maryann. If the show were only about the “inner workings” of the State Department and its interaction with the White House, the show would not be as compelling as it is. The family aspect of the show makes it all the more interesting, in my opinion.

• Marci says:

I agree with Maryann and Gwen. I’ve always liked Tim Daly and have been happy with all of his screen time on the show. I think they make a great couple.

4. Sally McLinn says:

This show just gets better and better. It always seems to be relevant to what’s happening today and the efforts of the US govt to keep America safe. Good acting all around. And was that Clifton Davis from years back? I had to look twice!

5. Boiler says:

Show keeps getting better. Love Tea and Tim. Actually great cast

6. Mommaknowsbest says:

I’m interested to see how this disaster plays out with the McCord offspring, especially their son. I’m thinking that this hit him much harder than his folks are realizing at the moment.

7. Dorian Gray says:

Thank God Henry is still alive. Tim Daly is a great actor who we didn’t see enough of till now. Also I would miss the moral/ethical discussions his character often has, there is not enough of those questions on TV. It is nice to see a character talk the talk AND walk the walk.