Vinyl Cancelled

Vinyl Renewed for Season 2 at HBO

Who says rock is dead?

HBO has renewed its vintage music drama Vinyl for a second season, the cabler announced Thursday.

The season order is surprising, given that Sunday’s two-hour premiere drew a paltry 764,000 viewers.

How do you feel about Vinyl’s quick renewal? Hit the comments!

1. Brian says:

YAY! I liked the first episode.

2. Beth says:

Wow… The budget for this show must be huge as well considering the cast

3. Ray says:

Unless the ratings pick up big time, early renewal or not, a 2nd season is as likely as that 2nd season of Luck and John From Cincinnati.

This isn’t Togetherness, which costs pennies to produce in comparison, no way will HBO throw away more money. Then again, maybe HBO has money to burn and doesn’t care one iota.

4. Weezy says:

I enjoy most HBO shows, but I felt like this was a huge mistep for them. I thought the pilot was awful. I like the lead actor and thought this would be a good role for him, but I don’t think he is very good at playing facial expression nuance (which seems to be massively needed in this role). He just looked like a drooling idiot most of the time to me. He also came across as incredibly stupid, which is obviously not supposed to be the case given the flashbacks and how he built his own thing. Lastly, Ray Romano. While I like him fine as a comedic actor, this was the last role he should be playing. A charming tough guy thug “fixer” who could get sh@# done in that era….and you pick Ray Romano to play him…

5. tallsy says:

How much trouble must Westworld be in that they had to renew this?

6. Rem_Marshall says:

My guess is that this renewal is Scorsese/Winter/HBO trying to prove us they have a tremendous faith in their new baby.
    And it’s also a way to buzz around Vinyl, to scavenge some new viewers (it’s now or never…).

So this is a hail mary.
    Hope it will work cause I really like the pilot. And the soundtrack was amazing.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Happy about the news and a great cast in Bobby Cannavale, Olivia Wilde and Ray Romano.

8. cuius says:

Given most of the record industry clichés were aired in the first episode, surprised there are enough to fill a second episode, let alone a second season. Can only assume they’re relying on sales of OST albums to make a profit

9. DanielleZ says:

I liked the premiere of Vinyl so this news doesn’t bother me at all.

10. Walkie says:

The jumped the gun WAY too early on this renewal.

11. Doug Henning says:

How many times do people have to learn that ratings on the first showing don’t mean much to HBO or Showtime for that matter… This was a 2 hour pilot on against among other things the opening night of The Walking Dead. HBO subscribers know there are a million ways to watch the programming on their own schedule not tied to the 9pm Sunday night schedule. Oh.. also up against Downton, Shameless, Good Wife, etc.. all of which are of interest to older viewers ( subscribers who are actually paying.. not kids logging in online with parent’s cable ID) … I liked it.. wasn’t great but I’m in that age category where running into Led Zeppelin is enjoyable.. I am very pleased they gave this a 2nd season pickup already.. I can enjoy this season knowing it’s not a one and done thing..

12. Aubrey says:

“The season order is surprising, given that Sunday’s premiere drew a paltry 764,000 viewers.” Yet Girls pulls in way less than that and it’s gotten 6 seasons.

13. Deirdre says:

I love the show.glad to hear it will be back.

14. Danette Roark says:

I didn’t like the first episode, but gave the show another chance and I’m glad I did. I still have a few problems with it, but the good things outweigh the bad. First bad thing: it’s too much like Mad Men and Ritchie is like Don Draper on coke. And what’s up with the facial expressions of the two lead actors? Canavale and Ray Romano always have their mouths open in any close-up scene. Just looks weird! Now good things: the other actors, starting with Olivia Wilde and Juno Temple, and the actor who plays Andie, the new exec that Ritchie hires, don’t know her name but she’s good. And also the music! They have used music that I haven’t heard since the 70’s, and I’m liking it. The actors they’ve found to play Bowie, John Lennon and Buddy Holly were amazing, and the way they insert the performances into the storyline has worked well so far. I’m going to stick with it for the finale next week and definitely watch season 2.

15. Fantastic series. I lived it.

16. Brooke says:

Love this show!

17. O'Keven says:

so glad HBO renewed for 2nd Season —-best I’ve seen in Original Series!

18. 4rtk77 says:

what the heck’s wrong with you people—–B E S T Original Series I’ve seen in awhile! You would of had to been a product of the 60’s 70’s or 80’s to appreciate this—-Really!

19. L B says:

I LOVE LOVE this series!! Bobby Cannavale (nice on the eyes) does a fantastic job, and Ray Romano wow, love the dif role for him, love all the ethnic diversity of the actors & they are just awesome!!! Love the stories!!! I was born in 60s, grew up in 70s when all this was happening. Thank you for the time transport. I hope there are many many years of series for this show. I’d pay for the channel just for this show!

20. Kim M says:

Loooove the show! The actors, the music, everything. I’m so glad to hear it’s been renewed. Can’t wait for next season. Please don’t cancel. (fingers crossed)

21. Vickie Robertson says:

I LOVE this show! I’m excited that it’s coming back! Love the music and the whole era. Hoping it will be the next Sopranos! Keep it coming! Give people a chance to know it’s on. I just happened to find it scrolling through the guide one night or I wouldn’t of even known about it. Can’t wait for Season 2!

22. Tim says:

Is HBO insane, this was a really good show, everyone that I spoke with loved the show. Bring back Season 2