Scandal Morton Series Regular

Scandal Promotes Joe Morton to Series Regular

Scandal‘s big bad dad isn’t going away anytime soon — seeing as Joe Morton has been promoted to series regular status, midway through Season 5.

Morton debuted as Jake’s mysterious B613 boss in the 17th episode of Season 2, and weeks later was famously revealed to be Rowan Pope aka Olivia’s father.

During his run, he has amassed one Emmy win, a Critics Choice nod and three NAACP Image Awards.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported on Morton’s upgrade.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ci says:

He is the reason I stopped watching Scandal. The over-acting is too much to take.

2. LOL, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, finally! Happy for Joe. On the other, oh God why. Rowan’s speeches got old a long time ago and now I’m dreading instead of loving them.

3. *sighs* I guess that means we are not getting rid of Papa Pope anytime soon, even though I think that character has outlived his usefulness.

4. Karen says:

Him and the B613 crap is why I hate this show now.

• Lisa G says:

Yep. Love Joe Morton (I still miss Eureka), but hate the character, hate B613, miss real romance. I love Charlie and Quinn and would watch a show about them, but everything else I’m done with. I have actually removed it from my DVR as of this post. :(

5. kn1231 says:

This is actually so unfortunate. Nothing against Joe Morton, but I can’t stand Papa Pope and have been waiting for him to be killed off. I guess I can kiss that dream goodbye.

6. Jenny says:

Any storyline with this man is too much, it’s overdone, and pointless. Come on scandal surely u can come up with something fresh instead of relying on this tired story. He and Scott foley are killing the show. Everyone else is brilliant

7. Whatevah says:

I love him..he’s a great bad guy!

8. Brian says:

Terrible move.

9. NM says:

If they even try a redemption arc on this character then they really have another thing coming… I hope this is just Shonda pulling a Joss Whedon and he dies in the episode he’s been a series regular.

10. Larc says:

I guess this kills chances we’ll get to enjoy seeing Rowan offed anytime soon. Too bad! That was my #1 anticipation in the show.

11. Arie says:

Damnit! I’ve been waiting for Papa Pope to die for the longest time. Not sure I can continue to watch cuz his monologues are painful to watch.

12. danielle says:

LOL. So more Papa Pope Shenanigans. This isn’t good news. He’s over the top and his obsession with Olivia’s sex life is creepy.

13. LT says:

hmmm, BYE FELICIA! I mean..bye Scandal.

14. Joe says:

i switched to CBS just before the Fall finale and thank god I did , I hate his character, the B613 plot etc etc

15. Carol says:

Scandal should be getting rid of characters like Rowan/Eli Pope, Jake and Lizzie North not adding more regular cast members to the already large cast.

I like Joe Morton but the B613 spy story line has ruined Scandal and made the show mundane. We did not need another spy show on TV after starting with a unique show based on a DC fixer.

I guess the ratings have to hit rock bottom for Shonda and ABC to get a clue. No fan has ever said, please give me more B613.

• Cena Gomez says:

I liked Hollis better as the bad guy. Rowan is a bitter old man who’s creepy sending men to have sex with his daughter. Besides, he will never pay for Killing the President’s son and Harrison, that alone makes the writers a joke. If Shonda wanted to keep him on the show, she shouldn’t have made him so evil.

16. Marco says:

I loved him as Henry in Eureka, and in his appearances in TGW, but his character is the reason I stopped watching Scandal. I tolerated his character for most of the season, but when the writers completely fumbled ‘You took my daughter I take yours’ I realized this show had an incurable case of the stupids.

17. Mak says:

I’m happy for Joe…

18. MissVCI says:

I wanted him killed off last season. Season 2 and Season 3 he was enjoyable, but know his tireless shondalouges are annoying and i understand Shonda wants to keep him around because Joe is a good actor and probably good person, but his character is ruining this show. I’m at the point where I’m hate watching the show.

19. Charles says:

You Can’t Take Command!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

20. Annie says:

Cool. This season has been amazing so far. Love the new direction they are taking the show. The Mellie & Liv working together stuff is just a dream.
    And while I’m tired of B613, I’m intrigued by this new push for power that Papa Pope & Jake are doing.

21. Sam says:

WHyyyyyyyyyyy?!!! Good for the actor to get a regular gig but his story should have been over and done with ages ago. Another reason not to watch the show. Angering us viewers won’t end well. The comments and the falling ratings speak for themselves.

22. Anna says:

No. No no no no no. No. Just no.

23. Ugh!!!! His character is one of the reasons I’ve considered dropping this show for the past two seasons. Now I’m definitely done with it.

24. David4 says:

He is the reason the beginning of the season was so good, he was in jail and not needed.

Scandal is a mess because of his horrible storylines. I love the actor and wish he be on another show that could use his talents.

25. abz says:

Seriously what the hell is Shonda smoking? He is absolutely one of the worst characters on television. And I have watched Joe Morton’s acting in other shows and he wasn’t bad but he is TERRIBLE in this show with his overacting and those stupid endless Shondalogues. Do they not realize that he is one of the worst aspects of the show along with the B613 storyline? If there was any hope of improvement for the show and returning it to its former glory, this news shattered that hope. UGH. I usually try to stick with shows if I’ve made it this far but this news may just make quit the show once and for all.

• Brian says:

It sucks because you want to have hope that just maybe this show can return to it’s former glory. But we just aren’t getting any sort of info that tells us that maybe things are going to get better on the show.

26. Bill says:

Reading these comments I guess I’m in the minority, love this move

27. Tracy says:

I love Joe Morton but the B613 storyline was the beginning of the end of Scandal for me.

28. webly3 says:

Because America needed even more of Morton’s painful overacting

29. Cena Gomez says:

Rowan along with B613, Jake, and Olake are the reasons fans STOP watching. ABC will learn when those ratings drop to under 6 million.

30. Josh Emerson says:

Ugh. This show has become so stale, not to mention annoying. It’s definitely one of the lowest priority shows on my list at this point. I have no idea how they managed to make Grey’s fresh and interesting through 12 seasons yet Scandal is terrible.

31. herman1959 says:

OMG. What are the chances that this just means that he has to be paid more for the major arc leading up to Rowan’s death?

32. Matt C. says:

I think the time has come for me to officially break up with this show. It’s a shame, because I finally finished binge watching all of Grey’s so that I would be able to watch the entire TGIT line-up, but now I’m just completely over Scandal. Now I need something new to kill time between 9-10 on Thursday nights!

33. Ella Jasper says:

Since when was not a regular? Can’t stand his character, such over acting. But obviously, Shonda loves him.

34. deenabraun says:

Just what I was praying for: More Morton monologues. NOT. Another reason NOT to watch any longer. Shonda get a grip and give what ppl want; not what U want.

35. ABG says:

Seriously my only reaction after these news.

36. smcto says:

Why did they do that?! Joe Morton is a good actor but his character on the show is so annoying! But I’m still gonna watch just to see how it all ends. Maybe they’ll get wise & take out Rowan for good. You never know what can happen on Scandal anymore. I just hope that the creators know what they’re doing.

• Brian says:

But that’s thing with with this show. They don’t get rid of characters that need to go. And going by that review site The AV Club, Shonda keeping characters way past their usefeulness is something she always does on her shows, so since Shonda loves both Joe Morton & Scott Foley they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon even though it is super obvious they need to go. It’s just unfortunate because them staying on longer than they should have, really has hurt the show.

37. gris2102 says:

I had taped last weeks episode but simply deleted it without watching. I’m done. I REALLY think this show lost me when they released this character from jail after all he had done. My favorite character was Millie but when she helped release her sons murderer she was totally ruined. Olivia has an abortion of a child by the man she “loved” I watch a show to be entertained not tortured by writers who can not write believable characters. or original stories.

38. niloofar22 says:

39. MaryAnn says:

I really, REALLY can’t stand Rowan. If I had any hope of coming back to the show, this would have killed it. The scenery-chewing just makes me want to cringe. For me, this feels like Strike 4. One was the kidnap arc last spring — it was weeks before I could bring myself to catch up. Then for strikes two and three, there were the breakup, and the abortion. I’m not sure there is anything they could do at this point to bring me back, but I really do miss the early seasons of the show — that really was must-see tv.

40. Nick RNZ says:

Ugh really?
    That’s my reaction. Joe Morton is great, no doubt but I am so over Eli Pope. He’s really tiresome, really don’t want more of him!

41. Is there a reason why he was only credited as a series regular in only one episode and since then has gone back to recurring status?