Heartbreaking, Dramatic Mom Tackles the 'Harsh Reality' of Addiction

Warning: Stop right there if you have yet to watch Thursday’s Mom. This is your one and only warning.

Mom just lost one of its own to a drug overdose.

Jodi (recurring guest star Emily Osment) died unexpectedly in Thursday’s episode after falling off the wagon with her fellow recovering addict boyfriend. Her untimely death came after numerous warnings from sponsor Christy about not entering a relationship so soon after getting sober.

Though “Diabetic Lesbians and a Blushing Bride” focused mainly on the nuptials of Marjorie and Mr. Perugian, and the struggle to get Perugian’s old-fashioned sister (Rhea Perlman, Cheers) to agree to attend his wedding, the final five minutes cast a shadow over the entire installment as Christy received a heartbreaking call from the authorities regarding Jodi’s fate.

When asked by Jill whether Marjorie had the right to know, Christy advised everyone to keep quiet on their friend’s big day, not to upset her before her honeymoon.

The episode was followed by a PSA featuring series stars Anna Faris, Allison Janney and U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy to bring awareness to the alarming rate of drug overdoses occurring daily across the United States (watch it here). It was proceeded by a chilling vanity card from executive producer Chuck Lorre:

chuck-lorre-mom-vanity-card

“It felt important to the entire writing staff, including myself, that you don’t lose sight of the fact that this is a life and death issue,” Lorre said in an interview with THR when asked whether it was ultimately necessary to have Jodi overdose. “Even though we’re doing a comedy… from the very beginning we’ve tried to make this show about recovering from alcoholism and drug addiction and to do that without ever acknowledging the harsh reality of it seemed to be a cheat.”

How are you feeling after Mom‘s shocking death? Sound off in the comments.

1. JA903 says:

Wow. Blew me away

2. Roger says:

It’s to real. Having a son who has fought addiction his whole life, I hope I never get that phone call.

3. GuessWhat says:

how can anyone really be “shocked” when previews for a week pretty much told you this would happen!?

but yes, sad. =(

4. Stacy says:

I did not see the preview for this week. I was surprised by both the wedding and the death. The minute Christy blew off Jodi I surmised she would die leaving us with the happy/sad predicament. The show did a wonderful job. I will miss Emily Osment, but I’m glad she got a storyline worth playing.

5. David4 says:

We are having a horrible drug problem here in Massachusetts, supposedly the worst in the country, so the more press to this issue the better. We never solve anything by no talking about it.

• Steven says:

We have a huge heroine problem here on Long Island. I graduated high school in 2008 and have already lost a number of people from my graduating class.

• filomena says:

Steven there is a huge heroin problem in this country. I am astounded by the stories I hear! I pray for all the babies out there and I hope someday we can get this death drug off the streets!

• Brandon says:

Same in eastern Connecticut.it seems like every week there is a news story about an epidemic of overdoses and bad batches. It has become so bad that first responders now carry Narcan due to the extreme number. In fact just today alone there were 2 that made the news due to them coming from the same batch and many that did not make the news. A few weeks back there were around 10 or 12 people in critical condition due to a bad batch.

I applaud the show for bringing awareness to this issue.

• Beth P says:

Same here in Florida. there was a news story about how the paramedics have to carry around the Narcan & the cost of each dose. One paramedic said they sometimes have the SAME person 2x a week. So scary !!!!

• Anna says:

I just read that Walgreens is rolling out a program to make Narcan available OTC. It is sad that it is necessary, but I think it could save a lot of lives.

• Patti says:

In Cecil County MD most anyone can get certified and carry NarCan. It is a program set up to help save lives. It requires an hour training session then you are giving a voucher to get the Narcan. It has already helped save several lives. I would encourage those who have addicts to look into it in their area. Narcan puts them in immediate withdrawal and gives first responders more time to get there..

• Lisa says:

I’m curious to know how people are certified to give Narcan?. In my experience as an RN, I’ve only ever given it intravenously. How are they training people to give it?

• NDFan says:

It seems like every time you turn around, another state is the worst in the country. I live in PA and the deaths are overwhelming. It truly is a nationwide epidemic and need to be talked about more often.

6. Reba42 says:

Are they going to address the fact that Jodi called her sponsor for help, and got blown off? Isn’t that one of the BIG things with Addicts Anonymous? Recognizing that you can’t do it alone, so you have a sponsor be there when you really need them? I hope they cover Christy’s realization.

• Jason says:

They probably will :) Mom is known to play events like this out through a number of episodes.

• Lillian says:

I was wondering about that, too. As soon as she blew her off, I knew Jodi was a dead woman.

• Joe says:

Technically Christy didn’t blow her off ,she just said she couldn’t talk , there has been multiple times in my recovery that if I couldn’t get a whole of my sponsor , I had a support network of men I could call ( christy will take it hard, she should have told her sponsor)but this is a big grab for ratings

7. I usually don’t like sitcoms – particularly CBS sitcoms – but Mom is actually really good.

8. Erin r says:

Spoiler alert, JERKS. Pacific standard, HAVE NOT WATCHED IT YET, but now, thanks, I don’t have to. There went THAT rating

• John NYC says:

• Mary says:

Well it doesn’t help that it gives it away in the link.

• Adviel says:

But then why geting into an entertainment web page that always has reviews and spoilers just before watching a show.

• John NYC says:

^this^ is what immediately occurred to me. I stay WAY away from anything on a show I have yet to watch if it’s one that does surprises. and I’m concerned about being spoiled…

• Lillian says:

Exactly, TVLine does that all the time. The tab at the top of my browser for this page says ‘Mom’ Recap: Jodie Dies of a Drug Overdose. Spoils it right there, you don’t even get a chance to see the spoiler alert.

• lizzie says:

But it doesn’t say that in the browser until you click on the link. The warning is on the home page before you click. Not to mention, can’t we all just assume that a recap will contain spoilers? Don’t blame the writers because you didn’t pay attention.

• Jon says:

That’s what happened to me. I started watching tonight (I don’t have an antenna up and I cut the cable) and couldn’t remember Emily’s name, so I Googled “Jodi on Mom.” I was devastated when the first result declared “‘Mom’ Recap: Jodi Dies of a Drug Overdose — Season 3, Episode 12…” WTF. I’ve never been floored with a spoiler alert before and didn’t even imagine that I’d see anything like that. Ruined the episode for me, as I kept expecting the shoe to fall.

TVLine, wake up!!! Due to a blunder, such as this one on your part, I wonder how many users you’ve alienated, both existing and potentials? Thanks for nothing.

• flutiefan says:

grow up, Jon.

• kevstar says:

I can’t believe in 2016 anybody, unless they are 12, would go on ANYTHING having to do with a show they haven’t watched and then whine about spoilers. This is common knowledge to anyone with common sense.

• Meg says:

The Facebook post said “(Spoilers ahead!)” and the article on TVLIne’s main page had a spoiler warning before the “Read More” link. Why would you even click to ready the article? This isn’t a new thing.

• Lois says:

Stop blaming other people for your own mistakes. You were warned multiple times.

• Natalie says:

Why go to a tv site when you have shows you don’t want to be spoiled on?

• Hello? There was a spoiler alert. You could have skipped the article. and I quote: “Warning: Stop right there if you have yet to watch Thursday’s Mom. This is your one and only warning.”

• Hallie says:

this is posted at the very top of the article. You have only yourself to blame.

• GB says:

Why are you reading comments before you watch the show? Not a good idea. Spoilers bound to leak.

• Erin r
      What part of that did you miss???

• Jon says:

I’m there with you, Erin R. I started watching tonight (I don’t have an antenna up and I cut the cable) and couldn’t remember Emily’s name, so I Googled “Jodi on Mom.” I was devastated when the first result declared “‘Mom’ Recap: Jodi Dies of a Drug Overdose — Season 3, Episode 12…” WTF. I’ve never been floored with a spoiler alert before and didn’t even imagine that I’d see anything like that. Ruined the episode for me, as I kept expecting the shoe to fall.

• Keesha says:

It did not to read if you hadn’t watched the episode. It’s not their fault you didn’t read and can’t follow directions. …

9. Darlene says:

Jails, instutions and death are the true reality of addiction and alcohol. This disease is cunning baffling and powerful. I once thought it was a scare tactic they would say. However I have known many people who didn’t make it back to the tables

10. laurelnev says:

Wow. I had a chance to intervene last weekend, and although I initially didn’t see the signs, I got a second chance to save this individual, and we did. This episode was especially poignant for me in light of my last week. Cries for help come in all shapes and forms; sometimes they’re easy to miss. If this episode helps just one person to recognize the whisper instead of waiting for the shout, it’s changed the world.

11. DV says:

They trolled a little in making me think something would happen to Marjorie (thankfully it didn’t) but still a great episode. This show is so underrated. I realize that is Chuck Lorre’s own doing given his spotty history of quality but I hope more people check it out rather than dismiss it simply because his name is attached or because it’s done in front of 3 cameras (still to me the dumbest reason to not like a show)

12. the cookie queen says:

Love it!!

13. Sarcasm Font says:

I thought it was pretty well done, and I honestly thought from the previews that it was going to be Marjorie that died. But two minutes into the show realized it would be Jodi.

14. Mandy says:

Drug addiction has hit hard in my family . Lost my ex husband 3 months ago because of this as well. Though many may not want to face the facts, many more of us have to live this daily weather it’s our loved ones (as we blame ourselves for not fixing it) to knowing it’s out there and we can’t get help as for an adult can walk from a rehad after 72 hours. This was a show that in perfect context needed to be out there . So much more in my heart and out of anger I have to say but yes things need to be done yesterday.

15. bob says:

It’s always has a greater impact when a comedy show has a dramatic realife moment. My first grandaughter was hooked by her scumbag boyfriend. I pray that my daughter never gets THAT call.

16. Ivy says:

It is a harsh reality, wouldn’t be realistic, if they had not put it in the show. Being an alcoholic myself, I see it every day-here one minute, gone the next.

17. Bussmoover says:

If you have spent time in the rooms, you know that overdoses and suicides happen during recovery. The lesson of the show: get a sponsor, listen to your sponsor, do what your sponsor says and life will get better. Do it your way and it is a journey fraught with peril.

18. Tim says:

Mr. Lorre is right in saying that this is a show based on people recovering from addiction and is very funny. People need to see that addiction has a bad side and that not everyone makes it. Mom is one of my top ten shows.

19. aniketos says:

Love this show! Cried so hard last night… I’m a mother of a gorgeous 24 year old daughter, who is an addict… I am bracing myself for this phone call… its inevitable…and I don’t know how to stop it from happening…

20. dgorham says:

The episode tore my heart out. I just lost my sister to an overdose a few months ago. I understand it is the harsh reality you need to make people realize but in my opinion that energy would be better focused on helping families realize that once addicted those addicts are no longer the loved ones you knew the drug takes them over. I like seeing a show where people succeeded in overcoming the addictions. My heart sank it was like losing my sister all over again

• misery chick says:

@ dgorham-your post touched me very deeply, and I am extremely sorry for the loss of sister. Even though your loss was such a short time ago, you still found empathy and compassion to impart some very hard-earned wisdom about the reality of addiction.

I will keep you in my thoughts 💖

21. Bella says:

I hope they have Christie deal with blowing Jodi off. With Marjorie away on her honeymoon, she’s not going to have her go-to person around to help her.

• J.Norman says:

Saying that Christie blew her off is – I suppose – technically correct, but also a little harsh.
      Christie was in the midst of trying to help her own sponsor and got the call from Jodi at a very bad moment. Sometimes you have to make an instant call and Christie made the one that was most expedient at that one moment.
      She did not stop to analyze worst case conditions in the balance of the 2 crises.
      Being a first time sponsor , she chose real time expediency over potential results.
      . She should have stepped back and paused, or even let Bonnie take over the duty of dealing with the sister, but she never dreamed that the outcome would be what it was.

Should she have? Perhaps, and certainly with this experience she will never make that same mistake again.
      But what would you have her do? Kill herself? Go back to Alcohol and Drugs?
      The show will undoubtedly have her kicking herself around for a time, but her own sponsor will eventually set her back on the right track.

• kevstar says:

I don’t think Christy should blame herself AT ALL! I don’t know about being a sponsor but one person can’t be there for another person 24/7. What if the call came while Christy was driving, in the shower, or in the bathroom. Plus, we don’t know why Jodi was calling.

22. Annmarie says:

Intense episode. Expressed the reality of addiction. Well done.

23. hondolover17 says:

I thought it was great!

24. ac says:

My brother passed away from a heroin overdose exactly two yrs ago, I like seeing that a show can realistically portray the heartbreak of such a horrible epidemic, without coming off too preachy. My mother and I always watch this show together for that reason; Jodi’s death will extremely sad, unfortunately had to be don to really show the heartbreak

25. MMD says:

Kudos to the writing team for keeping it real. Addiction is oblivious to colour, creed, religion, sexual orientation, education, social status and is insidious. No family or community is immune. I just wish that alcohol and prescription meds were as recognized by the general public for the problems they are as well, although great strides have been made in recent years.

26. Barbara says:

I almost cried at the end. It was a shock … I have a 25 yr old daughter hooked on heroin. We tried to get her help but she ended up stealing over 1000.00 dollars with of items from us for her habit. We kicked her out and I have not seen her or heard from her for 3 months. I try to prepare myself for any unwelcome news that my come our way of our daughter that I am fearing. It is a sickness and she needs help. I still love her and hope someday she will get the help she needs.

27. Sue says:

Being a parent of a recovering drug addict it is a call you are always worrying about. It is a true drug epidemic out there – something needs to be done – especially to the dealers!! The addicts are all struggling and truly didn’t want to become an addict – but are always punished more than the dealers out there. I’m glad they did this on the show – the more exposure the better!

28. Lori Colella says:

It is also to real for me. Having a son who has been addicted to heroin for the past 5 years I know that it could happen. I could be receiving that phone call. I only wish that there were more resources for families that don’t have the money to put their child in a rehab facility. I hope and pray every night that he will be ok.

29. Darryl says:

I was hurt to see something like that happen. I couldn’t hold it together that night. Too much. Can’t wait to see what’s gonna happen when they tell Marjorie.

30. Julie H says:

Hated this episode of Mom. I don’t watch sitcoms to get enlightened or lectured about the evils of addiction. I lived it and am gratefully in recovery, have been since the 1980s. I thought the death-by-addiction episode of Mom was manipulative, heavy-handed, A cluster of weeping actresses does not begin to depict the horrors of addiction. This show seemed like a ratings gimmick. Looks like it worked.

31. Carla I says:

It is what I expected given that Christies life is going okay right now and Marjorie is leaving for her honeymoon, this either will jolt Christie to the core and she falls off the wagon or Bonnie implodes because it is to close to her loss of Alvin. GREAT SHOW!!!

32. Chris R. says:

Thank you CBS for using Mom as an eye opener! It’s time we all realize the addiction problems every city, in every state, of this great country are facing. I reside in a community of 10,000 people that has the highest rate of OD’s per capita in the entire United States. Sooo Sad! We need to unite, fight and send the Devil back into the bowels of Hell. Pray for our youth and our Nations salvation.

33. Great episode last night, especially that last 5 minutes.

34. Mel Burnett says:

This happens everyday in different cities, with different families and relationships. It may be hard to face on a Sit-Com, but it’s actually real life for some people. Don’t hate the show, the actors or even Chuck, hate the root of the epidemic, as some call it. I’ve been there and done that by having and being a sponsor, and neither way is better than the other. To do this took balls and Chuck let us in on a secret. It’s Every Where. Not just on a show, but in everyday life (and deaths). I Congratulate the entire cast and crew and producers. You took a slice of life and showed every one that watches it that the world is not perfect, or funny, or easy. But if you notice something really different or strange, then talk to them. Don’t leave them alone. It may be the last time you see them. I know some shows that had done sad or controversial things before but still, it got the point across and out in the open. With me, if something doesn’t feel right, then don’t ignore it. Ask. Talk. Suggest. Acknowledge. Respond with compassion and let them know that it’s not worth it. See what tomorrow brings. It sure can’t be as bad today is (I HOPE). Surely it can’t be any worse and real friends will help someone that needs it, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. And even had their life saved by someone they will always call their Friend.

35. I lost my 23 year old Cousin January 7, 2016 to a Herion Overdose he was a beautiful soul and an amazing young man and our world will never be the same so thank you CBS for drawing attention to this horrible drug

36. marcus says:

While decriminalization/legalization is necessary, it needs to be backed up with public health announcements explaining exactly why it is needed. Its not in any way condoning the abuse of addictors, it is done bc the alternative, the drug war, has made things infinitely worse on almost every level, to include making all drugs abundantly available to any & all that wants them. We need to pull LE out of the drug biz & that will free up a lot of resources currently chasing their collective tails. When the laws create more harm and cause more damage than they prevent, its time to change the laws. The $1 TRILLION so-called war on drugs is a massive big government failure – on nearly every single level. Its way past time to put the cartels & black market drug dealers out of business. Mass incarceration has failed. We need the science of addiction causation to guide prevention, treatment, recovery & public policies. Otherwise, things will inexorably just continue to worsen & no progress will be made. The war on drugs is an apotheosis of the largest & longest war failure in history. It actually exposes our children to more harm & risk and does not protect them whatsoever. In all actuality, the war on drugs is nothing more than an international projection of a domestic psychosis, it is not the “great child protection act,” its actually the complete opposite. We need common sense harm reduction approaches desperately. MAT (medication assisted treatment) and HAT (heroin assisted treatment) must be available options. Of course, MJ should not be a sched drug at all.

“Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.”-unknown

37. MOM WAS GOOD ITS FIRST SEASON ….PEOPLE WATCH COMEDIES BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FUNNY NOT FEEL DEPRESSED….do not watch mom

38. AA IS STILL THE FLAGSHIP OF RECOVERY. !!

39. it’s sad ‘chuck’ went the direction he did in this show? i’ve seen past show but not watching completely threw. see i had a wife…had shes been gone now three half years now and i can tell you. i never had the laughter nor the quick come-together ending.lost her hello-ween night ‘od’ it destroyed my two kids. so when i saw this the first run of mom i really wasn’t sure then it was cancelled?’chuck’ i have to say you should have did an hour and well no slap stick.if you were really want the ‘truth’ as reading your reasoning….kind of a watch all of trick and fade out…’poor showing’…

40. mtobe says:

Anna Faris is hot!

41. catbean715 says:

This show has always done an amazing job of balancing great comedy with heartbreaking tragedy. From unexpected pregnancy, followed by adoption (great, brave choice), to homelessness, death of a (x) spouse, to failing at recovery. Kudos to the writers and CBS for giving us such an honest and true to real life show.

42. Daisy says:

Personally, I was disappointed. Disappointed because that isn’t the show’s job. It’s a comedy. It’s the show’s job to make me smile and feel good. This type of story line is best left for other venues. I’m not saying it isn’t an important message. Just the wrong device for delivery.

• yes; i would half way agree with. but going by the original theme slap-stick recovering addicts. where like other poor base 1/2 hour comedies spot (two-broke girls,ect,ect). to be honest.with anyone they are disparate to get $$ from show that run across big bang,two and half men.they had gravy $$$ from these show.if you really think these writers,tv electives,advertisers really have your or anyone best interests? really? just $$$$. in 3 to 6 mo. all will be forgotten?but the real of ones lives be it family or the who is day to day??? well??? they write that in any script….

• kevstar says:

Then you are too young to remember one of the greatest producers of sitcoms, Norman Lear. Maude had an abortion. Edith Bunker was raped, and Archie had a drag friend who was murdered. Mom is a sitcom about two recovering addicts. It would be a cheat if the show didn’t deal with the harsh reality of the situation.

• Kim says:

Thanks for remembering this…comedy makes life bearable because it takes the edge off the horror…Edith’s rape was awful…and an early education to me about what rape is and how it impacts the victim…

43. Jason Paul says:

Love this show. Comedies do not have to always be inane pratfalls and jokes. There is a lot of humor throughout the show, but also some really poignant human moments. That’s what makes us care about the characters. Kudos to Chuck Lorre for his intelligent point of view!

44. Dawn Bruneau says:

I been in recovery for 4.5 years.
    Just recently I lost my kids dad to an overdose.
    I thank you for this show. .
    I can relate hugely to all aspects of it.

45. mackpowee says:

I hate to say this but we all knew something had to happen with Jodi. It’s not like Emily Osment could join the show or something I mean she has her own show Young & Hungry to focus on. I’m just glad they didn’t do what a lot of show do when wanna write a character off. Like cop show, for example, when the character start to a lot of reckless thing then either get dies or is force to leave. Kinda like what did with Nick Amaro on Law & Order SVU. Where he start out as a detective. Then in his least season they start doing like I FORGET EXCATLY WHAT IT IS Amaro, I think, shot the wrong type of person. So they put in a uniform for awhile, then he final gets to come back to being a detective but then is told that he shouldn’t even try to get and promoted because he won’t get it. He then basically says the sense my family is already moving to California this makes sense for me to move there too. I guess my point is that they don’t wait around they just pulled the triggered.

46. i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

I love this show. Allison Janney got a well deserved Emmy. Last season , the way they handled Alvin’s death and later Bonnie’s relapse and the reveal that Christie was a victim of domestic abuse at the hands of Violet’s (unknown to us) dad was very sad and real. This episode blew me away. Shows how drugs can ruin a young life. Keep up the great work, I don’t really mind big dramatic arcs on a comedy show, because it reflects reality.
    I still want to know , did Regina relapse as well ??

47. DrugsRevil says:

Love this show. While it is usually funny and very “real”, it got even more real this past couple of weeks. My 5 year old nephew’s mom has been an addict for a very long time and while alcohol was her main demon, heroin ultimately took her to her grave two weeks ago. This epidemic is real, not just tv. There is hope, you just have to believe it and give it all you’ve got. My hope is that people realize it before it is to late.

48. Kitschn Green says:

Brilliant. I feel as if you didn’t cheat us out of the pain all the laughter is mostly borne from. Bravo. We are so alone .. we are never alone in feeling that . The experiment continues because it is now about coming back together. 💛

49. Judy Meehan says:

Unnecessary & inappropriate for a comedy. I watch tv to get away from most of the really bad stuff that happens in real life.

50. Kim says:

I love Alison Janney. Thought I’d finally watch the show after having missed when it is on after a couple of seasons…I was totally shocked and renewed in my sadness…my kids were in high school in 2006-2009 when the first wave came through. Kids could still buy Oxycontin time release in the high school parking lot for $40 a pill. I didn’t know what it was but I knew it was really bad when I saw how it transformed the brains and personalities of kids I’d known their entire lives. It touched our family. We survived but I have written letters and still believe Oxycontin should be completely banned from production and made illegal. When they “changed” the time release of the pills and reports out of Aghanistan about the drug lords forbidding farmers to grow food crops…I knew it was going to be bad…and it is…many young adults have died here in Folsom California. I still grieve my son’s friend who I thought was on the right track after a jail stint…he’s dead from a heroin overdose. And my kids have lost several friends I didn’t know personally, right here in this cliche affluent suburban community. I weep…