Big Bang Recap: She's Having My Baby

The cat in the cradle’s out of the bag!

On Thursday’s Big Bang Theory, Bernadette revealed to Howard that she’s pregnant with their first child, leaving Howard to grapple with what it truly means to be a father.

In “The Positive Negative Reaction,” Bernadette exposes Howard to her secret via a Post-It note scavenger hunt. While initially overjoyed with the idea of being a dad, his excitement quickly transforms into anxiety about whether he and Bernadette are capable of becoming good parents.

While Leonard and Raj are incredibly happy for Howard, Sheldon worries that the addition of a second baby will jeopardize sacred group traditions, including trips to Stuart’s comic book store and weekly video-game nights. (Did this read as meta commentary to anyone else on how a baby can sometimes put a damper on a sitcom’s overall quality?) Penny and Amy take the news better than Sheldon, though Bernadette’s surprise is ruined when Penny inadvertently spoils it via a text from Leonard.

The guys attempt to calm Howard’s nerves by taking him out for celebratory drinks at a nearby tiki bar, but it instantly becomes a venue for the dad-to-be to dole out all of his concerns, stressing over whether he’ll be able to financially support a child on his current CalTech salary. Unlike Leonard and Raj, Sheldon’s too drunk to care, at least initially. It isn’t until later that he tells his friend exactly what he needs to hear: his pent-up daddy/abandonment issues will motivate him to be the best darn father he can be.

Back at the house, Bernadette voices her dissatisfaction with Howard’s underwhelming reaction to her news (and in the process reveals that she and Howard conceived their first child-to-be on Sheldon’s bed!). Afterwards, she sends herself into a minor depression about all of the things she can’t do while pregnant, such as drink wine, eat sushi or relax in her new hot tub. Thankfully, all of her stress is alleviated when she and the girls meet up with the guys and Howard assures her that he’s excited about entering parenthood. (Leonard and Penny also get to talking about babies once back at the apartment, but ultimately decide they’re not mature enough for such a responsibility as long as they take joy in drawing on Sheldon’s face with magic marker.)

Later, in a belated effort to truly celebrate Howard and Bernadette’s news, everyone takes part in karaoke; Leonard and Raj belt out Salt-N-Pepa’s “Push It,” Penny and Amy duet on Justin Bieber’s “Baby,” and Howard attempts to serenade Bernadette with the Paul Anka classic “Having My Baby” before getting interrupted by Sheldon, who has since learned about the location of Baby Wolowitz’s conception.

What did you think of tonight’s Big Bang? Will Howard and Bernadette make good parents? Sound off below.

1. Laura says:

So. Much. Yes. This will add a whole new level of comedy to the show when the guys have to watch the kid… or even just Penny and Leonard alone lol. Bring on the baby!

2. meka3000 says:

I hope this we episode was just the by product of tptb changing their minds about a baby at the last second of writing last week’s episode. Because THIS EPISODE might be a contender for the worst episode of the series. WAY TOO saccharine after a certain point. It would’ve probably been fine if it were just one of two (or three) plots, but the plot built around the news was paper thin.

3. SANDRA ADAMS says:

I MISSED IT!!!!! WHEN CAN I SEE IT AGAIN?
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR WELL WRITTEN SUMMARY OF THE EPISODE.
    REMEMBER WHEN RHODA GOT MARRIED TO JOE (MARY TYLER MORE)? I THINK IT
    TOOK THE INTEREST AWAY FROM THE SHOW.
    DO YOU THINK THE BABY WILL CHANGE THE MOVEMENT OF THE PLOT OF (TBBT)?

4. Nfld Viewer says:

Sober Sheldon was the voice of reason in this episode. I was so impressed a few seasons ago when the Bernadette character expressed her strong views about not wanting children. I thought “Finally! We get a character who chooses to remain childfree. Some diversity from the standard TV formula.” The about-face is disappointing and looks like the typical sit-com fall-back when running out of ideas (killed Mad About You too). I hope they at least follow the Ray Romano theory of sitcom kids and keep the baby offscreen.

5. Rachel says:

They so need to hire Stuart as their nanny, or manny.

6. Abby says:

My bet is on Amy revealing she’s pregnant too next episode… or season finale!

7. anthroptomist says:

You left out the most important detail- Howard came up with a practical application of Sheldon & Leonard’s scientific discovery, thereby alleviating his money fears and establishing himself as a legitimate peer of theirs (and Raj, despite his lack of a Phd).

• Shar says:

I agree that Howard stepped up while still maintaining his ‘Howardness.” I was disappointed in the way she told him about the pregnancy though, sort of bland.

8. SD says:

I try not to over think the show and just enjoy the silliness. I loved the episode. A perfect way to end a busy days- laughing out loud with my family.

9. Sue Worrall says:

Loved the episode. One of the funniest and touching this season.

10. Hawk says:

I liked it. It felt like it was everybody’s baby and acknowledge how tough Howard and Sheldon had it without a dad. I can’t wait to see how Bernie’s dad react to the news!

11. Bella says:

I thought it was a great episode. Both funny and heartfelt. When Bernadette and Howard had initially discussed having children, he was all for it, and she was not, due to having to take care of children her entire childhood, but then they agreed that when they had kids, Howard would stay home with them and Bernadette would be the breadwinner. I know that Mayim can sing, so I don’t know why they didn’t use that. Babies do change things, so I’m looking forward to seeing the group going forward with this new dynamic. Raj would probably be the best babysitter.

• Hawk says:

I like it better this way, Sheldon got to raise a cup when Amy sang that “her first love broke her heart for the first time”

12. LKE says:

This was one of the funniest episodes I’ve ever seen of this show!

13. Kim R says:

Loved it! Many laugh out loud moments. :D

14. Sandy says:

Hate it. Every time a baby is introduced on a show that has been around for awhile the show spirals downward. I like the group the way it is, minus Emily, who stinks as Raj’s girlfriend. This show needs to remain child free. Start adding kids and I am gone.

15. Hannah Cudney. Age:17 says:

Congrats to Howard and Bernadette with this milestone!!