Lady Gaga Grammys 2016

Lady Gaga Honors David Bowie at 2016 Grammy Awards — Grade Her Tribute

Lady Gaga has never been secretive about drawing inspiration from glam-rock god David Bowie, making her a fitting choice to honor the late musician during Monday’s Grammy Awards.

Gaga — dressed head-to-toe in an homage to her idol — kicked things off with a dramatic rendition of “Space Oddity,” transitioning into “Changes” and “Suffragette City,” among others. She was joined on stage by Bowie’s long-time collaborator Nile Rodgers.

From the moment Gaga’s face, complete with stunning visual projections, first appeared on screen, we knew she would deliver an unforgettable Grammys performance — and she did, down to the final notes of “Heroes.”

To say that Gaga is on fire as of late would be an understatement. Not only did she take home a Golden Globe last month for her performance in FX’s American Horror Story: Hotel, but she also crushed the National Anthem at Super Bowl 50. America is loving Gaga, and she’s loving it right back.

Your take on Gaga’s tribute? Watch a segment of her performance below, then grade it and drop a comment with your full review.

1. Jobless says:

Really really good, I suspect a lot of younger people might not appreciate how good that was.

2. Joni says:

Where’s that A+ when you need one. Awesome + 1.

3. tracyg36 says:

Legit crying here. That was fantastic. Of course, I’m old enough to have lived through years and years of Bowie albums and concerts so I suspect some peeps won’t get it, but Gaga CRUSHED IT.

• Leah says:

I am a huge Bowie fan. That performance was sloppy, muddled and lip synched!! Take off your Gaga loving glasses off and watch it again. It was terrible.

• Nancy says:

It was a mess. Maybe if she would have just sang one of his songs. Lady Gaga fans not objective.

• Leah, you seem to be spreading your negative opinion on every positive comment that are praising Gaga and this beautiful tribute. Bowie wouldn’t be proud of your nastiness, your unnecessary childish remarks, and your need to try to get attention or putting someone down. That’s not what Bowie stood for. You definitely aren’t a Black Star but with all that hate you do have a Black Heart.Take a seat.

p.s. Lady Gaga never lip-sync. For someone telling another to watch the performance again, you need to take a note from your own advice.

From one Bowie Fan to Another.

• Tamim says:

You can tell she wasn’t lip-syncing because sometimes she moved away from the mic, when she was dancing as well as singing, and her sound would fade a bit. If it had been lip-synced then there would have been a steady vocal line. Instead we got a passionate performance by someone who truly appreciated the uniqueness of Bowie.

• Et al. says:

You are an obnoxious troll, Leah. Go away.

• Jules says:

I’m with you Leah. I think the older folks lke myself were more offended by the horrible lip synching. I was bored and underwhelmed.

4. Christopher Cunningham says:

Best performance of the night. David Bowie would be proud!

5. Janice says:

I think Gaga was in poor form tonight. I loved David Bowie. Would have preferred to see tapes of his performances. No one could do Bowie justice except Bowie

6. Leah says:

That was horrific. AND she was lip syncing! Bowie deserved better.

7. Dave says:

So…not to be THAT a-hole, but its “Space Oddity”, not “Ground Control to Major-Tom” :::runs away:::

8. Pamela says:

The song is titled “Space Oddity,” not “Ground Control to Major Tom.”

9. Robert says:

I have loved her since she was doing live radio promo appearances across America. She has always been Gaga.

10. Erin says:

I really didn’t like it – it felt like a parody, not a tribute. Lady Gaga is a very talented woman, and I think she could have put her own spin on singing the songs instead of the type of imitation she tried to do.

11. XxPBXx says:

Wow. It started well, then turned into some sort of Vegas lounge act. She tied too hard. A simple one song tribute would have been much more powerful.

12. Gracie says:

Loved David Bowie. Admire Gaga’s great talent but she was off on this performance. She did a frantic Vegas act tonight that was the antithesis of Bowie’s class and cool. Bowie deserved better, like the beautiful tribute they did for BB King.

13. jj says:

it started off strong but started to feel disjointed towards the middle. She tried to fit too many songs into the medley

14. Guy says:

No. It was thoroughly disappointing and makes me think she doesn’t get Bowie at all despite claiming him as an inspiration to her. Missed the mark on just about every count. They should’ve gotten someone else for the tribute. But I just knew everyone would be praising the performance regardless.

15. Julia says:

I like Gaga but this tribute was awful! David must be turning in his grave!

16. kim says:

I have Loved David Bowie for Decades, and had All of his albums, and if there was one person I would have chosen to pay tribute to Bowie, it would have to be Lady GaGa! Only she could Channel the Great David Bowie! Once again, You blew me away! Love Ya, GaGa!

17. Elron says:

That was horrific & they should be ashamed.

18. Tom says:

That’s fine, don’t make any mention of Lemmy being honored by Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp, and Joe Perry.. Nobody cares about them.

19. George H. says:

Had to change the channel because it was so bad. Gaga definitely doesn’t have the voice for Bowie.

20. It was very nice but I don’t appreciate how they turned it into an Intel commercial. What was that!!! Do the tribute, give it its time and let it be. Don’t profit off of it by making a “making-of” commercial.

21. Julie says:

She was fantastic as always. Trolls bash her as always. (Ever notice how loud and persistent her detractors have become? It really started to take off around the time ‘Born This Way’ came out. Gee I wonder what’s behind their hatred of her?)

22. GuessWhat says:

A for effort. D for execution.
    One complete song would have been better.

23. Sara says:

It was a glorified commercial for Intel and for Gaga’s Oscar campaign. It was a disappointment, to say the least. I expected better of the Grammy’s for this, as they usually do great tributes, as evidenced by several others tonight. Not to mention, it seemed like she was lip syncing in spots. Her mouth didn’t match all the words.

24. Ken Findlay says:

I don’t understand why someone with her chops had to lip sync..Totally ruined what could have been something special..

25. Mark says:

Annie Lennox singing “Fame” in a black suit with a diamond collar would have been sufficient.

26. Kiane says:

TVLine has turned “Awesome” into a pathetic punchline. There was nothing awesome about her performance. She looked scary and her number switched too quickly between too many of Bowie’s songs that was impossible to keep up and even the tempo was too rushed. “Awesome”? Not even close. It was OK but nothing spectacular.

27. kirads09 says:

I thought it was great. My only complaint is that maybe TOO many songs were squeezed in? I know it is difficult trying to tribute such an incredible body of work into ONE performance. But would’ve loved a full version of Major Tom and then perhaps a melody of Fame and a couple others. She did an incredible job.

28. SoFla says:

Horrible, awful, insulting. This woman is not the end-all, be-all, must have on stage at everything. David Bowie deserved to have a tribute done by someone more talented and classy, as he was, not the freak show that is Lady Gaga. My opinion, I am entitled to it so keep your bullying comments to yourselves. Thank you.

29. Charles U Farley says:

Awful. Absolutely Awful.

30. whoever thought that her tribute was good needs to just stop! It was awful it was like she was mimicking Annie Lennox doing Liza Minelli. her vocals were bloody awful She just should have done 1 song like Heroes slowed it down and called it a night. How’s stupid idea was it to do a medley? Fire them!

31. Tahoe Mike says:

I described it to a friend as, “An ambitious fail.” I saw what she was going for, and it was both very Gaga and very Bowie, but I think it just missed the mark. I have come to like Gaga more in the past couple of years as she has moved away from all the theatrics and just put the music front and center. I’d like to have seen her do a little less, but put the music first. For all the style and theater that was Bowie, he never undermined the quality of his music.

32. Jules says:

I love LG, but that was a mess. Boring, and lip synched to boot. RIP David.

33. GGDub says:

There’s a difference between tribute and imitation and this performance was way over the top cornball mimicry. I like Gaga, but visually it was a hot mess.

34. I think she was singing for much of it, but she was absolutely lip-synching during ‘Fame,’ at least….She is thrusting and gryrating, and moving the mic away from her mouth, and the vocals remain smooth and flawless. Not sure why she would sing some and lip-synch other parts, but she absolutely did.