Adele Grammys

Adele Faces Audio Issues During 2016 Grammys Performance — Grade It

“Hello, it’s me. I was wondering if after all these years, you’d like to meet.”

The opening line of Adele‘s smash single “Hello” has never seemed more appropriate than on Monday night, when the songstress returned to the Grammy Awards stage for the first time since 2012.

This time around, Adele — dressed in a stunning red gown and accompanied by a pianist on the floor of the Staples Center — traded in the ubiquitous “Hello” for more recent single “All I Ask.”

The lowest point of the performance? In a telecast filled with audio issues, the sound cut out for a few fleeting seconds at the top of Adele’s number, before returning in the middle of the first verse. According to a CBS rep, “There was a brief five-to-eight-second technical issue that was out of our control.”

What did you think of Adele’s Grammys return? Watch part of it below, then grade it and drop a comment with your review.

1. mari banav says:

Flawless

2. Marta says:

That song is such a beautiful highlight of the album. But there was all kinds of uncharacteristically off things about that performance. Were her monitors not working? Weird sound, weird lighting, and that cranky noise. Hmmm.

3. Karen says:

Adele would has been fine if the sound guy hadn’t totally messed it up, and threw her…. which has happened all night… Should never be allowed to do sound for any major production ever again! I hope heads roll. The Academy Awards are bad enough, but the Grammys??? Come on!

4. ABG says:

She looked so pretty! But it wasn’t her best, techinical issues didn’t help.

5. Rebecca says:

She can do no wrong in my eyes. She is queen. I thought Tori Kelly/James Bay had the performance of the night.

6. Phillip says:

THE QUEEN SLAYED!!👑

7. terri says:

The sound guys should be Fired! They totally F*d Adele’s performance to a wonderful song. ADELE IS STILL #1 in my book. Can’t wait to see her live on tour! Without those incompetent sound people. Love you Adele

8. Cindy says:

I wanted it to be wonderful but it really wasn’t – I think her performance in Carpool Karaoke was way better. She just seemed off tonight.

• The Beach says:

I’m a huge Adele fan and I must agree with you. I have watched her other live concerts and she is always pitch perfect…not tonight. She was off pitch on a number of notes and she sounded strained and a bit screechy in her upper register. I’ll just chalk this up to an “everybody has a bad night” kinda thing. I still love you, Adele.

9. kojaniuska says:

I love Adele but her performance tonight was not I am use to. She was out of tune when she hit the high note and throughout the song it seems that she was struggling for air.

10. Sayitsnotso says:

Whomever was hired for sound tonight should be fired and banned…Adele’s performance was mared by multiple technical and sound issues, the key was wrong and she struggled to get through. It was not her fault. She is flawless. Huge disappointment tonight, as I was looking forward to her performance.

11. Tina says:

Aside from the sound glitch in the beginning I felt she was classically flawless Adele. I thought she was going to shed a tear for a minute. But that horrible, big bright ass light was so distracting, it took away from her performance.

12. KSM says:

I thought she handled it quite well, considering. Still a great performance!

13. Just-me says:

Perhaps it was my feed, but the sound cut off, and there was this weird beat like someone was hitting a cymbal. Too bad. She seemed thrown off and was off key. Not her fault. There were so many sound problems during this show its kind of a train wreck.

14. I absolutely love Adele. I do not know what happened tonight, but the singing was not good. I thought the problem was on my end. I still love Adele, her voice, and her personality. Adele’s dress was beautiful.

15. andrea says:

Adele was horrible tonight, come on people, I know ya’ll think she walkd on water, but the song, and her voice was bad, and she was off key a lot!!!!

• dave says:

She was off slightly, true, but it was because of the sound system screw ups. Not her! She was totally professional in how she handled it. Hey if you critical people think you can do better under that kind of pressure go for it! Idiot. give her a break.

16. Irena says:

If you watched James Corden do Car Karaoke with Adele, the two of them sang better acapella in the car than the sound tonight. I don’t care who you are, how could you sing your best with that horrible sound, not to mention the lighting. Worst ever. FIRE THOSE sound and lighting people!

Adelle’s voice is great but anyone can have an off night. Sadly with the distractions of the sound and lights, this one was off for her. Listen to her sing this with James Corden and you’ll hear a great version to make you forget tonight.

17. Helen Henry says:

Wish they would have had Earth Wind and Fire perform .They are among the best live performers I’ve ever seen and they were presenters.

18. I know what the reaction to my comment will be, but lord, Adele’s music from this album is painfully trite and boring.

19. kirads09 says:

Amazing voice and she handled it like the complete pro she is.

20. Charlene says:

Adele is alway good. Everytime I turned over to watch it there was either a rapper (singing? rap Music?) or outlandlishly made up/dressed ‘performer’. There was absolutely nothing of pleasure in trying to watch it. I turned it off, though I was hoping of some news of Manilow but couldn’t stomach what is passing for music and/or artist these days. absolutely terrible. I didn’t hear Adele’s performance but it’s just too bad it didn’t happen during some of those other frekish performers!!!

21. Julie says:

Most do not notice all the technical issues — and most do not understand how these things affect performance. I’m proud that she kept going… sorry that she cried! It takes all kinds of live performances to humble and perfect! Great job!!!

22. Jo says:

She has to realise she is only thought of as good because she is fat, is she was thin and pretty with her voice she wouldn’t have gotten far, it’s exactly the same for subo.
    She has to stop blaming everything and everyone else and admit she just isn’t that good.