Good Wife: 11 Spinoffs We'd Totally Watch (and Two We'd Quickly Cancel)

While there’ll be a Good Wife-shaped hole in CBS’ Sunday schedule once the acclaimed drama airs its series finale on Sunday, May 8 at 9/8c, there’s a chance something else Good-ish could take its place.

Series creators Robert and Michelle King told reporters earlier this week that “nothing is off the table” when it comes to a potential spinoff.

Added Robert King, “What would be fun is to find a way to spin off a [cast member] that wasn’t at the center, who we wish we had more time with. The show always centered around the Alicia character. What’s appealing would be pursuing a different ensemble.”

Hey, we kinda like the sound of that. So much so, in fact, that we cooked up 11 spinoff ideas we’d add to our DVRs tomorrow — including a frenemy comedy, a divorce-court procedural and the sexiest P.I. tale ever told. And just for good measure, we thought of two possible Good Wife continuations that should never see the light of day.

Check out our ideas in the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments with your own spinoff brainstorming!

1. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Veronica and Jackie would be AMAZING!!! TV Line, with your incredible powers ; ), PLEASE make this happen!!

2. Gail says:

No love for Diane except to stick her on Judges! ? No Diane and her husband must spin off to a drama where the deal with the issues of the day from liberal and conservative view points.

3. Jooshua says:

GOOD COUNSEL and THE GOLD STANDARD sound absolutely awesome. I love me some Elsbeth Tascioni and Eli Gold.

4. Andrea says:

Does Luca live on the second floor? ;) I’d love The Gold Standard or a spin-off with Diane and Carey.

5. Steven says:

Any spinoff involving Cary being shirtless that’s fine.

6. HAP says:

Anything with Cush Jumbo!

7. Jared says:

Make Veronica & Jackie a half hour single camera comedy and I’m down to watch that! Actually I’m pretty much down to watch ANY of those spinoffs. On another note it makes me sad that Cary never got a solid storyline during any of the Good Wife’s seasons. He was so underused its ashame.

8. lori says:

I’d watch Eli and his daughter or Lucca, she has been the best addition in a while

9. Hurley says:

“My name is Lucca” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I’ve been laughing for a minute over this.

10. Sally McLinn says:

All good ideas. Boy I miss those characters already. I’ll have to binge-watch the Good Wife all over again.

11. niloofar says:

I would watch Eli & Lucca’s spinoff😀, i love Denis O’Hare’s Judge Charles Abernathy.

12. jj says:

Ha! loved cary vs carey

13. DramaMomma says:

I would watch just about all of them but ESPECIALLY Gold Standard and Judges (as a comedy)

14. Paloma says:

Yes, please, to The Wire Tap Boys (that would be awesome if done well), to a political series with Eli Gold and Marissa, to Christine Baranski as a judge or anything else, (though you’d have to do it without the Good Wife lawyers and I’m not sure there are any other law firms in Chicago!).

15. maregolden says:

Much as I love Eli and his daughter, I could not watch a show that was completely about politics. For me, that was the most boring part of the show. I like the law stuff so much better.

16. renske85 says:

Funny how none of these mentioned Peter? Does anybody even like him?

To be honest I would prefer it if they didn’t make a spin off. As much as I love The Good Wife, it is time to end it. The only character I will really miss is Eli but to my knowlege Alan Cumming is about done playing him since he would be leaving even if the show was renewed. The other side characters like Elsbeth, Jackie or one of the crazy judges were very funny in small doses but as a main focus they all would become annoying in about 3 episodes. Matt Czuchry has been tremendously under used for way too long that I don’t see how his character is interesting enough to be a lead. Love his acting though so would like to see him in something else really soon.

The only thing I would like to get cleared up in the final episodes is why Carey is called Carey? I remember when he was announced on this site that the name resemblance was for a reason but either I missed it or that story line dissappeared to the same place as Robyn and Alicia’s love for her kids.

17. Liz Jaehn says:

I LOVE all of them! Even Cary in Prison (eat your heart out Prison Break revival – surely THAT ship has sailed!) but just no to Lyman in Boxers pitch!

18. Pixel says:

Even if it’s just pourparler, honestly and seriously, I’m really not interested in a spin-off even if it will involve my favourite character: Cary. I’m sad that just in their last season they’ve done so little with their supporting characters (I mean the original ones) and especially with Cary even if they had plenty of chances to write something meaty about the post-prison/post-kalinda aftermath. But I think CBS and the Kings have already wasted enough Matt Czuchry’s time. They’ve 7 ys to develop Cary’s character and lost almost every chance to do it. When Charles left I thought they were finally giving him a more substantial role and more consistent scripts. And they did. But just for half a season. Then they started to underuse him again and just gave MC just poor material and plots. So let’s free him from this show (and its possible appendices) and from CBS. He’s lead character material and he deserves a new show ( a really new one) and a new role.

19. peterwdawson says:

No Good Wife: Cyber or Good Wife: Miami?

20. There is not a chance in hell that I would watch a spinoff with the awful David Lee. He’s fine in very small doses but he’s not always the kind of antagonist I love to hate. I often just hate him.

21. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Gold Standard or Good Counsel (with Cush Jumbo!)

22. Lisa Echerd says:

Such wonderful ideas! This highlights how many great guest stars and supporting cast members they have had through the years. I’d completely forgotten about Nathan Lane’s character or the annoyingly ruthless Lester.

23. smartysenior says:

I’d love to see them just get another wife who needs a job and keep the wonderful ensemble cast in place doing what they do. It was when they focused on JM that this show went underwater, get a great actress hired into the law firm and keep going with everyone else on quirky cases and quirky personalities.

24. Marcie says:

A show about Elspeth would be ideal for me!

25. Mike M says:

The PI variant, Eli, or the Judges would work for me in that order. I would honestly find it hard to watch any spin off that was based on just one character except for Eli, Kalinda or Elsbeth – some truly great characters over the years, but only those three could hold a show on their own… in my opinion. The PI variant would win because Kalinda, Elsbeth and Jason would just offer SO much variety of story telling and all three are in the top ten best characters. Eli second because well it’s ELI and it would be mad, clever and you’d never see what was coming next, and because Sarah Steele’s Marissa has number one place above ALL other characters by far as the most underused; she stole every single scene she was ever in. The only other show I can think of that I know nobody else has mentioned would be Marissa running some kind of craft food services business – yes you can suddenly imagine it now can’t you lol. But please please please – the NSA show belongs six feet under Howard’s shorts on that list; it would be worse than awful.

26. Lynn says:

Did everyone forget about Michael J. Fox??? Some of the best episodes featured him!

27. A lewis says:

All The Good Wife spin off ideas really suck! You all should just let sleeping dogs lie if your going to quit. Putting that many characters together from 1 show on a spin off, Uh No. People will have high hopes for it to be as great as The Good Wife, but with those 11 ideas they will be seriously disappointed. It’s not about you 2, the writers and what you want for the show, it’s about pleasing the fans, and by ending the show you are making some us very unhappy, but what do you care you did your 7 seasons and your done. Who cares what the fans want!!! You all are just a bunch of quitters. Most good shows last at least 9 seasons.

28. C.K. says:

Eli would be the best spinoff character.

29. Doc says:

How about this in addition to The Gold Standard, Jeremy Piven (Ari Gold) is Eli’s brother!

30. Ellen says:

Love TGW! Spinoff?! Really?! Aside from a great show ending, (so disrespectful to be doing any new show talk right now), and the slot’s not even vacant/cold yet , before all of these so called great ideas for a new show are put into play, I suggest serious inventory be taken into account, since apparently this is business, nothing personal:

– Sunday Evenings–Dangerous Time Slot even during off ball seasons, because a show placed there, has the potential to loose demo viewership numbers once the football games air, as CBS has a major deal with the NFL Network, which generates HUGE revenue.

– CBS’s Sister Network–unless the new show can be aired on an alternative channel during football season, once being placed within that time slot, which must be filled eventually regardless, or they switch the show during peek football season, similar to “The Big Bang”,(being moved to Mondays and now back to its original Thursdays), to air sometime during weekly prime time hours, every show placed within the Sunday night prime time period, is doomed!

I believe it helps to observe, access and take inventory, before arriving at any conclusions, such as premature new show talk! It’s Annoying. I’ve bee a CBS fan forever. Take note– I’ve seen The Good Wife, a once top rated, critically acclaimed show since its inception, switch from airing during weekly primetime, with excellent demo numbers, only to be placed in an unforgiving time slot, Sunday nights, because it was once the Tiffany Network’s, meaning CBS’s juggernaut, so they bet on viewers remaining loyal, attempting to rack up in regularly scheduled programming, as well. They were wrong! People get turned off. They have jobs and can’t be expected to stay up all night. Those who DVR get dinged because they don’t want to tape for several hours, just to get an hour show.

Think…CSI use to be in the time slot after Good Wife, but was eventually axed and now CSI: Cyber is suffering the brunt, as it wasn’t given a chance to build s new generation fan base, because Sunday evenings are tough in general and that’s where Cyber began! So, in short, all of the whimsical combo names for potential shows that are being discussed, will most likely suffer the same fate, as their predecessors.

31. Teresa says:

The Good Wife is one of the best TV shows ever. I religously watch this each week since it has been on. This show should be placed on a cable channel where you don’t need to have 15,000,000 viewers to stay good. I would continue to watch forever. Alicia should leave her hubby, and you should bring Kalinda back. Kep her newest beau they have a good chemistry together.

32. Sharon says:

I would recommend keeping the Good Wife running another few seasons, Best show on Sunday night

33. Weber says:

One word, “Kalinda”, she was the one reason to watch The Good Wife.

34. Brooks says:

I love several of these!! Hopefully Alicia Florrick will guest star some!!