Best Soap Opera Couples

Valentine's Day Countdown: Soaps' 10 Greatest Supercouples of All Time

If there’s one thing that daytime dramas have always done better than any other genre, it’s…

Well, it’s evil twins and characters who come back from the dead. But sudsers also rock at romance.

So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, Team TVLine has put its heads — hearts? — together and compiled a list of of soaps’ most dynamic duos ever.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments with the couples that top your list.

1. LT says:

So many missing couples more worthy it just isn’t funny.

2. Karen says:

Mason and Julia have always been my all-time favorite soap couple and one of my favorite fictional couples, period. Such great writing and acting there. I still miss Santa Barbara!

3. wrstlgirl says:

Yet, John and Marlena weren’t even featured in today’s Valentine’s Day episode. Ridiculous.

4. RPS says:

Really? No Reva and Josh?

5. Brigid says:

These are some good ones. When you only do a list of 10, of course some go by the way side. My favorite was Cass and Frankie from Another World…I was obsessed with those 2. I do miss that show and Santa Barbara:(

6. dan says:

Nina and Cliff; Erica and Jackson; Opal and Palmer (all from AMC). Marco and Karen from OLTL (were they a couple or was he the pimp to her high-class hooker?).

7. J says:

How could they leave off Ethan and Theresa from passions????!!!!

8. JuluiaJ. says:

Cruz and Eden will always be my favorite daytime couple. Mason and Julia are my second favorite, and I still miss Santa Barbara.

9. Angela says:

“All My Children”;s Tad and Dixie would be another one for the list.

10. Jen says:

LOVE me some Santa Barbara references. Made my Valentines!

11. Shaun says:

Zack and Kendall!!

12. Daphne says:

Days’ Jack & Jennifer should totally be on this list too! *Contra Mundum*
    Oh and Passions’ Sheridan & Luis! #ShuisForever

13. Paul says:

#Ejami was the best i would put them as No 1 although nothing wrong in coming in at No 3 but come no couple had the hottest Alison Sweeney and James Scott they were so hot together their love scenes burned up my screen.

14. lulu says:

Ah Ej and Sami aka Ejami the last daytime soap supercouple as far as i am concerned, they were so ‘everything’ despite Days tbtp trying everything in their power to destroy (it did not work, losers !). The actors and their chemistry really made the supercouple. When they left,i left this show..hey ouais…

15. ChrisGa says:

Absolutely agree with number one–Cruz and Eden FTW!

16. matty says:

Pretty good list, but a bummer you totally ignored One Life To Live, Guiding Light and As The World Turns. I mean OLTL had Bo & Nora, Todd & Blair, Tea & Victor, Viki and Joe, Viki & Clint, Viki & Ben, Dorian & Mel, Joey & Kelly, ATWT had Noah & Luke, Holden & Lily, Lucinda & John! and GL had Reva and her many loves (Joshua!) and many other couples!

• PABWECG says:

I have to agree. While I adore Ejami, and love a few of the others, to leave these 3 shows completely out was just weird.

• PGP says:

I think Ejami belong on this list… I may get lambasted, but John and Marlene do not… yuck! Not a fan of Drake! I know I won’t win any fans with this one either, but I dislike all things Brenda on GH, so seeing her and Sonni on the list is ridiculous to me. I do think Jason and Sam from GH should be on this list… haters can hate all they want, but that kiss today was the best part of the show… Josh and Rev as well as Phillip and Beth from GL should have been here too!

17. Linda says:

Patch and Kayla & Jack and Jennifer from Days (at least the 80/90’s version I don’t know about now) and Ryan and Vicky from Another World.

18. CC says:

Fun list but what about Days Steve and Kayla and Another World’s Ryan and Vickie. There were so many great soap couple I could go on and on…

19. Mr. Tran K says:

Bo and Hope from DAYS and Luke and Laura from GH are both of my faves. Bummed they left out General Hospital’s Sonny and Carly.

20. EJ says:

Nikki and Victor? Uhhhh…no.

21. Camille says:

I don’t disagree with any of the couples on the list but I also don’t really like any of them. (Though I never saw Santa Barbara, so it’s possible I would’ve liked those couples.) While I know that Luke and Laura were great during their hey-day, their relationship was pretty much DOA by the time I started watching the show in the late ’90s. And while I’ve seen via youtube clips that Sonny and Brenda were great when they started, they were unable to recapture that magic after Brenda’s “death.”

My favorite soap couple was Lucky and Elizabeth, though only with Jonathan Jackson in the role of Lucky. Those two had incredible chemistry and their love story was one of the most genuine portrayals of first love I have ever seen. It’s a shame the new writers wasted the opportunity to revisit that relationship when JJ returned a few years ago.

22. ninamags says:

Yes!!! Eden and Cruz!!! Best Couple EVER!!!!!

Full disclosure: The ONLY english-language soap I have ever seen is SB. It was fantastic. I would use the new-fangled device of the day (VCR) to record while i was in high school. Even my little brother became a fan. :)

23. scotlore says:

I really loved Santa Barbara and both couples mentioned.
    I also flat out loved Kendall and Zach on ‘All My Children’, Alison and Rafe on ‘Port Charles’, Bo and Nora on “One Life to Live” and Cass and Kathleen on “Another World” (not mentioned on this list).

24. Ashbash says:

This list is missing JT and Colleen from The young and the restless, Ethan and Theresa from Passions, and Todd from Blair from One Life to Live

25. Why does OLTL get no love? Bo and Nora plus Todd and Blair were two awesome super couples!

26. N says:

Dorian and David (OLTL)

27. Bobbi says:

Yes to EJ and Sami.

28. KS says:

You forgot – Jason and Sam, GH and Noah and Julie, AMC

29. Maria says:

Yay for John and Marlena!! I think they deserve to be #1 since they are still together to this day. Their chemistry was smokin’ hot in 1986 and all through the 90’s and 2000’s and is still very sweet to this day.
    But EJ and Sami? Yuck. EJ was SORAS’ed in a big way but it’s still gross because she was a teen/young adult when he was born.

• mooshki says:

And also gross because he raped her. :(

• Maria says:

I forgot about that because I was watching on-and-off hack then. Yeah…even more gross would be putting it mildly.

• I didn’t know EJ raped Sami. Scratch them off this list too. Even in the soap world, rape leading to romance is downright disgusting.

• Ashbash says:

Then we have to take Luke and Laura off this list too considering Luke raping Laura is how the two of them started off their romance

• PABWECG says:

Actually in both cases (Luke/Laura and EJ/Sami) it was romance leads to rape – not saying that’s better, but it’s not like Sami and Laura fell in love with their rapists out of the blue. There were feelings of love and trust before all went bad…and then eventually all went better (much later in Sami and EJ’s case).

30. Kim says:

What about Jack and Carly from ATWT? I loved that show!

31. grumpy4life says:

Thank you TVLine for including “Santa Barbara”….but where is Mac & Rachel, Donna & Michael, Sharlene and John, Rachel & Carl (Another World)…dang I miss “Another World”…..

32. Sasha Shaw says:

THANK YOU so much for including the SB couples in this list! That was and will always be my fave soap of all time. I was heartbroken when that show left. Cruz and Eden were hands down the best couple, for sure!

33. Wendy says:

Mason and Julia made the list! I’m happy now. :-)

34. TJ says:

Margo and Tom from ATWT or Reva and Josh from GL

35. Anderson says:

Frisco and Felicia should be on this list. And how is Sami and EJ included over Kayla and Steve? Luke/Laura and Bo/Hope should be #1 and #2.

36. Lina says:

May I submit Greenlee and Leo?

(Also Tad and Dixie, Bo and Nora, Shawn and Belle, Gus and Harley, and Josh and Reva.)

37. mooshki says:

I was going to say Cruz & Eden before the article even loaded for me. :) (No Ausiello bias here at all, I’m sure. ;) )

38. Marty says:

There’s only one couple on here that does not belong. EJ and Sami. Really? A couple that was born out of a rape. She shot him in the head, he hired a lookalike who who slept with her every night and was around their children. Yep. True super couple material. *rme* There is nothing “super” about a couple who did more damage to each other than anyone else. You could have added so many others in their place. Steve/Kayla, Jack/Jennifer, John/Marlena, Josh/Reva…the list is endless.

• PABWECG says:

While everything you said happened, the relationship began long before the rape, so it wasn’t “born out of rape.”

• Paul says:

So what that is what makes them a super couple they were hot together and the show was never boring like it is now when they were on it to me S&K and J&M were super boring couples that made fans go to asleep. Ejami was exciting to watch because despite what they did to each other in the end you always knew they both deeply loved each other not the others they were paired with.

• bigdede says:

You know Luke raped Laura and they ended up a supercouple……

39. Topsy Turvy says:

No Doug and Julie from Days of Our Lives? Your countdown is worthless!

40. danabeth says:

Where are Patch and Kayla?!!!!

41. hannah says:

to each their own. my personal favorites are jessica/cristian, leo/greenlee, simon/katie, jt/colleen, jack/jennifer, tad/dixie, bo/nora, tina/cord, jax/brenda, dillon/georgie, lucky/elizabeth, danny/michelle, josh/reva

42. Hipper says:

EJ and Sami!?!? At No. 3? Whatever. They shouldn’t even be on this list much less above fellow soap couples Bo & Hope, John & Marlena. Others have mentioned already, but…

– Josh & Reva, GL.
    – Jack & Carly, ATWT.
    – Luke & Noah, ATWT… those two pretty much carried the show for half the decade.

43. Nancy says:

Sonny & Brenda would be higher on my list (#1 to be precise) and I’d also include Leo & Greenlee from AMC, Cass & Frankie from AW, Jack & Jennifer from Days, and Todd & Blair from OLTL.

44. Kim R says:

Don’t forget AMC’s Jenny & Greg!! :)

45. KayCeeCee says:

Great list!! Glad to see Brooke and Ridge on the list!

46. Ranie says:

Angie and Jesse yay

47. Alexandra says:

Good job. The only disagreements I have are; Luke and Laura not being #1, they deserve to be. I also wouldn’t have put Ej and Sami on the list…but that’s just me.

Here are my personal top 10:
    10.Cass and Frankie-AW

Honorable Mentions:
    Sonny and Brenda-GH
    Bo and Hope-DOOL
    Greg and Jenny-AMC

• pau says:

To each its own Ej and Sami to me are NUMBER 1, and despite what the writers made them suffer for years, and that it’s thanks to the two actors who played the pairing, they were unique in the best way.

48. Jakay says:

Eden and Cruz!!!!! I still miss Santa Barbara. I agree that OLTL needs some love — Viki and Clint, Bo and Nora, Todd and Blair — and Jack and Jennifer and Steve and Kayla from DOOL were also favorites, but I’m so happy to see Cruz and Eden I’m not gonna quibble.

49. Eric says:

Luke and Laura pretty much invented the “Supercouple”. They really should be number 1.

50. Jim says:

This could easily have been a ‘fifty’ list, given the sheer volume of popular couplings over sixty-plus years. Still, I’m kind of baffled that “Another World” didn’t get a mention, since Steve and Alice were the original “super-couple” whose tortured story was the ratings bonanza that made all other soaps jealous.