Powerpuff Girls Video: First Look at Cartoon Network's Revival Series

The girls are (almost) back!

Cartoon Network on Thursday released the first clip from its upcoming revival of The Powerpuff Girls, last seen on the small screen in Aug. 2004. The new series, premiering this spring, features brand-new voice actors for its titular heroines, but as you’ll see in the video, it stays true to the spirit and style of the original.

The clip finds Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup donning their finest hippie attire — for a very good reason, I’m sure — and facing off against a pig-nosed baddie. He’s no Mojo Jojo, but he certainly blends with some of Townsville’s lesser ne’er-do-wells. A distant cousin of Fuzzy Lumpkins, perhaps?

Hit PLAY on the clip below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on the new show’s new look.

1. Jared Munson says:

How is it that animation looks like it has gotten WORSE since 04?

2. Maria says:

I miss the original voices.

3. AngelWasHere says:

Omg I’m so excited! I think it looks cute and Buttercup’s voice sounds alright to me. Hopefully they add Mojo Jojo back into the villain roster. :)

4. Scott21 says:

Why do they had to change Buttercup’s hair? That two little hair looks awful in the top of her head

• Jon says:

Agreed, and her voice lacks the wonderful raspiness of the original. Buttercup was always my favorite, so I’m preparing to be disappointed…

5. I really hope everything is basically identical to the old show. Same type of plots and humor.

6. hi says:

message is heavy handed and clumsy

7. justin says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jim J. says:

I think a reason why they replaced the original voice cast is because two of the original voice cast (Cathy Cavadini and E.G. Daily) are aged 55 (well, Tara Charendoff-Strong hasn’t reached 50 yet as of this writing), and the people behind this reboot thought that younger voice actors are better. But if it means that the new PPG voice cast has done some on-camera acting work, then I shouldn’t have a problem with it.

9. Zombiekitten says:

I don’t care for it. The writing is funky and I don’t care for the voices. I like the original writing and voice talents. I’ve only seen one episode but I’m not impressed. To bad, was really looking forward to this. Bring Craig back and the original voices please.