Oscars Thank You Scroll

Oscars to List the Winners' Thank Yous On-Screen: Brilliant or a Boondoggle?

The Oscars are taking a new approach to avoid that dreaded moment when the play-off music cuts short a meaningful acceptance speech.

Rather than leaving winners to rattle off the names of their significant others, agents, managers, pet groomers, etcetera, nominees for the 88th Academy Awards (airing Feb. 28 on ABC) are being invited to submit in advance a list of people they would like to thank should they win.

The names provided by the winner will then be displayed on a scroll across the bottom of the screen as they take the stage and use their acceptance speech time for something other than a laundry list, per The Hollywood Reporter.

“Acceptance speeches have become a list of names and more often than not, time ran out before something could be spoken from the heart about the art, about the vision, about the experience, about the meaning of the moment,” producer David Hill explained, adding, “We needed to rethink how this could be a better experience for everyone.”

What do you think of the plan? Vote in our poll, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. I would be surprised if this idea catches on, though I don’t think it is a bad one in theory. As a viewer, I would prefer to see some interesting comments rather than just a steady stream of names with no other comments, but I imagine the winners will still want to shout out people directly.

• Mike M says:

Free Oscar to the first one that just uses it to say: “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….” I think the rest is self explanatory lol

2. Dude says:

The list will be used for the industry people they feel begrudged to thank. I assume they’ll still thank the people they care about and most of the speeches will still be names.

• Ben says:

Still better, though, right?

• Delirious says:

If this means winners will actually have (or improvise) an acceptance speech instead of frantically enumerating a list of names they wanna thank, I’m all for it. Even if they scroll cast/crew/etc and they wanna thank God and family, it’ll be ok – everyone’s free to accept an award however they please (within logic).
      If they just duplicate it “because they REALLY wanna thank the director, the producers, the wonderful cast, the awesome crew, etc” while those same names are scrolled, which is something I fear, it will be absolutely horrible for us fans/viewers.

3. Big Mike says:

Boondoggle?

• Chase says:

Boondoggle (N)

1. A braided ring to hold a neckerchief, particularly in scouting; a woggle.
      2. (U.S.) A waste of time and/or money; a pointless activity.

4. Tom says:

I like the idea. If I were ever in a situation to win a major award, I’d like to think I’ll say something like “I’ll post a more complete list at my facebook page” or wherever

5. Sally McLinn says:

The Oscars keep trying. They keep tweaking. Anything to cut the time, anything to make it interesting to watch. They fail.

• tvjunkie says:

If they want to make it interesting they’d nominate films that many people actually watch, which usually is not the case. Instead most nominations go to niche or artsy films average people never see.

6. Bryan says:

It’s a cool idea but I dont think it will fly. Hopefully no blunders like Vikander winning but Winslet’s Thank Yous show up

7. Michael says:

There’s no way anyone isn’t going to list off names. It’s too much of a tradition and the entire point of the ceremony is tradition.

8. a scrolling list of names just doesn’t have the same meaning as thinking to thank them in that moment as they’re holding the award. also, i’d rather not see some of these idiots attempt to say something meaningful… a Simmons type speech is the exception, not the rule

9. EJ says:

SNL will have an absolute field day with this. If they can’t make a spoof of THIS funny then they don’t deserve to stay on the air.

10. peterwdawson says:

Yeah I honestly kind of like it. I mean, written word, especially if it’s scrolling by, doesn’t tend to feel like the same sentiment as actually saying the names, but when you want to thank people and try and make some kind of statement at the same time, well, there’s worse ways to try and do both without having the show be even longer.

11. DarkDefender says:

The longer the list, the faster the scroll = comedy gold. SNL get on this STAT.

12. I think it’s AWFUL. The thank you on stage should come from the heart. I want to watch the awards, not a ticker go by like I’m watching the news. They have the opportunity to thank other people during their post-win interviews.

13. JosiahBartlet4President says:

It doesn’t really feel like a sincere thank you if it’s at the bottom of the screen like an afterthought.

14. Ethan says:

FAIL! First of all, no one is going to read the name when the winner is going on stage. Most people will be focus on the winner’s reaction. Also having the names on screen is almost like saying it’s not important enough to be mentioned in the speech. Here’s a though, maybe the Academy should do a better time management instead.

15. Temperance says:

Here’s a couple ideas: 1) cut out all 2-3 of the pan-in wide shots after every commercial. No one cares to look at the backs of heads and the brutal ugly sets; 2) have 3 presentation locations, so you can get presenters on stage while another is announcing; 3) eliminate the horrible presenter banter (all of it). Before announcing, have all of the potential candidates move to feature spots near the stage for their nomination closeups to cut time for the winner to get on stage. Leave the winner speeches alone (give them more time).

16. Lisa says:

Part of the fun of the Oscars is groaning through the awkward acceptance speeches, laughing at the funny ones, tearing up at the poignant ones, and complaining about the ones that go on too long!

17. LM says:

Ironically, I thought years ago, that the winner should hold up a sheet with all of the names he or she thanks, and the camera zooms in to show them. It’s perfect. No one (even a makeup artist or manager) is forgotten.

18. I despise speeches that are just laundry lists of names. Hopefully this works. The memorable speeches are always more than names on a list.

19. everart says:

I stopped watching awards shows when they started to give the winners only seconds to thanks people while letting lame presenters take 5 minutes to read badly written teleprompter drivel. This sounds even worse. I get not letting winners talk endlessly, but geez, give them enough time to thank people and say a few sentences. Cut the presenters crap instead.

20. I think that this will work, if the winners play by the rules. I’d rather they use their acceptance platform to delve into what it means to them personally, politically and artistically.

21. A fan of TV says:

So unbelievably tacky, immo. Half the joy of watching for me, is the speeches, the sincere ones without lists, where they’re just so darn thrilled they can’t think straight, or they’re crying. Submitting ahead of time feels ridiculous and I for one, as a viewer, could sincerely care less about reading a pre-submitted list of names of people I don’t even care about scroll across the screen. But if someone wins and another nominee’s scroll is accidentally displayed, it would certainly prove what a silly idea this is. No raises to whomever thought this one up, its lame.

• canadian ninja says:

I’d like to thank the cast, especially the bear, the director, my family and friends, my agent Phil, my publicist Debi, my manager Eric and everyone on my team especially Bob, Susie, Terry, Danielle, Shasta and JoJo. But most importantly my beautiful beautiful

22. Dan crowson says:

Sure seems like the winners are still thanking people.