Exclusive

Shadowhunters Video: Magnus and Alec's First Date Hits a Minor Snag

“Malec” fans, your patience is finally about to pay off on Tuesday’s Shadowhunters (Freeform, 9/8c).

TVLine has an exclusive clip from the episode, which finds Magnus (Harry Shum, Jr.) calling Alec (Matthew Daddario) with an offer he simply can’t refuse — not that we’d want him to.

“Would you like to go out for a drink sometime?” the extravagant warlock proposes.

The timing isn’t exactly great for Alec — as evidenced by him responding, “Now’s not really a good time for me” — but don’t lose faith, “Malec” Nation. We all know this couple’s union is inevitable.

Hit PLAY on the preview clip above, then drop a comment below: Are you a ‘Malec’ fan?

1. Wordsmith says:

How much “patience” does this ship really require? It’s only episode 5, Alec and Magnus have met exactly once, and the IMMEDIATELY started sparking. It’s not like the show is keeping fans waiting…

• razzle says:

I mean, it’s because malec is the otp of the fandom…if they don’t appeal to the readers early on, they’ll stop watching

• Wordsmith says:

Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that it’s not exactly like Castle or Bones, where they dragged it out for like five whole seasons before anything happened.

• Goldenvibefan says:

Malec is not everyone’s otp in the fandom.. Some like Clace, Climon, or Sizzy more than Malec. So to say that the whole fandom’s otp is malec is incorrect.

Malec is the OTP of the huuuuge majority and you should see the fandoms reaction to them no one can make the fandom freak out and scream in joy as much as them it’s amazing

2. Val says:

So like Clary runs away, and that’s why Alec can’t go RIGHT NOW to his first date with his future husband???? Clary pls

3. Crystal says:

He said Alexander…I die

4. Wonderful! Gosh, these two… ♥_♥

5. VJ says:

Those two were one of my favourite things in the books and I’m not disappointed in the slightest if they hit it of sooner then they did in the books (I’m also more than happy if Alec and Clary can settle their stuff sooner than in the books because I was sooooo annoyed that I had to endure it through the entire first book!)

6. ninamags says:

I thought Alec liked the blonde dude? These two are definitely cute.

7. Noel says:

I had to scream in my pillow for 5 minutes after he said “Alexander”…
    this is insane , they are so good together ♥♥
    I’m so happy they are our Malec ♥♥♥♥

8. Grace says:

Malec!!! Yes!! Can’t wait!

9. John Davis says:

MY BODY IS READY!!!!!

10. Sara says:

I can’t wait to see how their relationship plays out on the show!

11. Temperance says:

Harry was so good in this clip! I shouldn’t be surprised because he’s been excellent in everything I’ve seen him in since Glee. He’s clearly been working very hard on upping his acting game.

12. Tiffany says:

So I finished reading COLS last night for the first time and watching this just made me sob. ((((Also I’m loving how malec is being portrayed in the show))))

13. Beth says:

YES!! They are perfect as Magnus and Alec!!! I’m dying here!!!

14. Maria Andrade says:

Ahhhhh !!! I’m so happy !! I really love Malec and even more so with these actors who are playing Magnus and Alec !! Can’t wait to see them happen !!

15. ChrisGa says:

Harry’s the best actor on the show next to Alberto Rosende (Simon) and Matthew is gorgeous. Looking forward to this.

16. Katie says:

I honestly feel like Matt daddario is the only good actor in the whole cast. Harry shum Jr. seems to be a fan favorite, but the way he delivers his lines makes me cringe. In the new promo, when Magnus calls Alec, he keeps breaking his sentences to take breaths and speaks very airily, which is super awkward. It’s just so bad. I’m gonna be mean and say that I have no idea what mcg saw in him. Someone respond I need to rant

• Megan says:

In some ways I agree, but at the same time, I think that’s just Harry trying to get into Magnus. I imagined Magnus to talk in a similar way, just with less breathy-ness (IDK if that’s even a word lol). I think because Harry only became a big player last episode, he still needs a bit of time to get into Magnus. It’s also just moments (for me) when he doesn’t seem to deliver lines well. Everything else about him as Magnus I adore. he has the walk and look down pat, as well as some delivery (although like you said there is some work to do).

17. Saskia says:

If you think that I am dead then you are absolutely right

18. Fea says:

I can’t wait for Malec like I have been screaming since the first episode(not lying)..I’ve never read the books but even the movie managed to make me scream “Malec!” so I think thats good enough?Looking forward for more Malec

19. Tocinnn says:

HE SAID ‘ALEXANDER’ OH MY MALEC THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER….MALEC IS RULING THE WORLD AND SHADOWHUNTERS

20. A.L. says:

Amo Malec no puedo esperar a verlo

21. Jia says:

oh my god i’m going to die

22. Gina says:

I love Malec!!! But I love Clace more and Sizzy as well! So many ships. :( IF they are taking this long for Malec I don’t even know how long its gonna be for Sizzy and Clace. :(

23. AnnaD says:

Yes!!!!! I can’t wait for them to get together! They’re my absolute otp

24. Casey says:

Alic should date some one else and magis should die

25. Shinta says:

I’m definitely up for malec! Really can’t wait….. And please, kill lydia off…. This girl seriously bugging me…….

26. Rae Castro says:

Sinced starting reading the books, I ship the from 2013, Is great that after reading the books and only using your imagiation to imagine the scenes, is great and it brings me joy to see something real with my eyes, even if the show isn’t exactly the books it’s still interesting and epic. #TeamMalec #Otp