Daniel Bryan Retiring WWE

Daniel Bryan Retiring From WWE 'Due to Medical Reasons' — Read His Tweet

It’s the end of an era for the WWE.

Superstar Daniel Bryan on Monday blew fans’ minds by announcing his retirement from the organization — and he did it in less than 140 characters. Read his tweet in full below:

As he said in his tweet, Bryan will be discussing the reasons for his retirement during Monday Night Raw, airing tonight at 8/7c on USA Network.

A three-time WWE World Heavyweight Champion, the 34-year-old athlete — whose real name is Bryan Lloyd Danielson — made his wrestling debut in Dec. 1999. In addition to his time spent in the ring, Bryan also made regular appearances on E!’s Total Divas.

Your thoughts on Bryan’s shocking announcement? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Murica! says:

This is horrible news!!!

2. Steve F. says:

No! No! No!

Seriously though, he was having a hard time recovering from his head injuries. In this age of concussions and CTE, this decision, while hard for him, makes sense. I only hope that Daniel Bryan’s retiring from wrestling, and not just from the WWE.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

This makes me very sad and hopefully become a future WWE Hall of Famer.

4. wrstlgirl says:

I’m not shocked by this, these guys bodies take a lot of punishment. Bryant is a huge fan favorite so this is definitely going to upset a lot of people. I remember when Stone Cold retired, I was gutted. HBK and Edge too. But he needs to take care of himself first. I hope he’s okay.

5. Steven Mifsud says:

I don’t believe this for one min..

On RAW tonight Daniel announces his retirement but asks for one more match against the …. undertaker at Wrestlemania.

Steph comes out and says it’s nice to see her B+ player back and she says that if he wins he can get back in the ring.

God I hope I’m right.

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahaha, I thought it could just be a ruse too but he has been having a difficult time with injuries lately. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

• Big Mike says:

Usually, the WWE doesn’t try and work legit sources (TVLine, ESPN, TMZ…) with storyline news. They’d burn a lot if bridges they worked REAL hard to build if this were a work.

6. this is a sad day for wrestling. a tiny part believes that it is a work but I doubt it

7. The timing would seem to make this legit. Fastlane is this Sunday, so no time to develop a feud. Any Wrestlemania match would be set after that. Plus his sister-in-law Nicki Bella just went under the knife last week.

For his own health, I hope the announcement is a work, not a play.

8. aph1976 says:

This is bad new but i think Daniel Bryan is retiring because of health reasons because he’s had neck surgery in the last couple of years.Plus this way he goes out the way he wants to. However it wouldn’t surprise if the WWE convinces Bryan to wrestle one more time at this year’s Wrestleamania and then they could promote it as last match ever.Plus even if he doesn’t wrestle at Wrestlemania he might be there in another capacity.

• justin says:

It would be the other way around. WWE does not want to clear DB, he is the one that has gone to a bunch of outside doctors and had them clear him.

9. Jeff hunter says:

I don’t know about this,he’s been fine the last year everyone but Vince,Stephen,and Haitch have cleared him.We”re into what’s called Wrestlemania season now Fast lane is just a pit stop building to mania,I’ve a feeling this is setting up a match of some sort at mania,it I where you guys at tvline,I’d keep an watchful eye on this story because the Rock smells something cooking!jeff

• Actually, WWE doctors have not and will not clear him due to his past injuries/concussions, the last thing they want is another Benoit incident. He’s been cleared by multiple other doctors, but the WWE doctor refuses to clear him, which means he will not see ring action until he’s cleared, which is doubtful

• justin says:

But, it is also convenient that they were not letting him get cleared before the Rumble. His inclusion in the Rumble but not winning it is what killed the Rumble the last 2 years.
        WWE didnt want him anywhere near the Rumble.

10. Robert Booth says:

no no please don’t go Daniel !!!!!!!

11. Robert Booth says:

Thank you bryan thank you bryan for what you did for us!!!!!!!!!

12. we should do a revolution for him & stop watching wwe & go to ROH . NJPW.. TNA .. LUCHA..

13. Nellie says:

I’m so incredibly grateful that Wrestlemania 30 was my first ‘Mania. Being in the crowd for that title win was indescribable. I even had him sign my ticket at a book signing last year.

He (and Punk, of course) opened the doors of WWE to a lot of guys on the indie circuit who don’t fit Vince McMahon’s mold. This is a big loss for WWE.

14. peterwdawson says:

Here’s hoping he gets one last retirement match or something. Dude’s gotten shafted most of his WWE career, and with three other doctors clearing the guy (including two pretty credible ones as well as his personal one) one would hope he’s okay for one final match or something.

15. pat durrett says:

Wishing you and your lovely wife all good things in life. Maybe baby soon? Good luck in all you both do. You had some great years bryan.