The Originals Cami Vampire

The Originals' Leah Pipes on Vampire Cami: 'Zach Roerig Is Not Happy'

It’s a common belief shared by fans of The Vampire Diaries that, despite everyone else in Mystic Falls transitioning into some ungodly-yet-beautiful creature, Matt Donovan shall remain human for the rest of time. The same was also believed about The Originals‘ Cami O’Connell — and then last week’s episode happened.

“I didn’t think Cami was ever going to become a vampire,” Leah Pipes tells TVLine. “I thought she’d be human for life. I’m pretty sure [Matt’s portrayer] Zach Roerig is not happy to hear that I’ve turned; he and I really thought we were in this together. I was going to be the Matt of The Originals.”

That said, Pipes is ready to experience Cami’s next chapter — continuing Friday at 9/8c on The CW — having officially said goodbye to the “brave bartender” on Twitter. “She’s basically a whole new character,” Pipes adds. “I’m so excited to be playing her.”

Below, Pipes reveals how executive producer Michael Narducci told her the big news, what we can expect from “Campire” and, of course, which flavor of blood she prefers.

TVLINE | Set the stage for me: When and where did you find out?
Narducci just called and he said, “We have this plan for Cami.” I was, of course, expecting terrible news, so when I got great news, I was so excited. I actually jumped onto my couch, and I think I scared him a little bit because I screamed. I was just really excited about becoming a vampire.

TVLINE | Did he come right out and say that, or did he make you sweat a little first?
Actually, all he said at first was, “At the end of Episode 10, you’re going to die.” I’m like, “OK…?” And then he said, “But you won’t actually be dead.” Then I was like, “So I’m becoming a vampire?” And he said, “Well, she doesn’t want to become a vampire, so she refuses to drink the blood.” At this point, I’m just like, “So I am dying? Narducci, am I being fired or not? You just have to tell me.”

The Originals Cami VampireTVLINE | The CW put out a few pictures of Cami sparring with Hayley. Scenes like that must be totally new experiences for you.
[Laughs] Well, it was great to get my workout in while at work. By the way, it’s a real workout. They did not inform us that we were going to be breaking a sweat; they really wanted us to go after it. Little did they know, I break a sweat walking up a few stairs.

TVLINE | Now that Cami is also supernatural, might she and Hayley become better friends?
I think it’s complicated. All of Cami’s relationships that were once simple are very complicated because of this new phase she’s in in her life.

TVLINE | What about the ones that were already complicated, like Cami and Klaus?
Well, there’s no going back now. Klaus always tries to control the situation, but he’ll quickly realize that Cami — excuse me, “Campire” — is a forced to be reckoned with.

TVLINE | What about that scene last week where Vincent gave Cami his blood? Should I be looking at those two more closely?
They just have such a wonderful mutual respect for each other. It’s one of those rare relationships in New Orleans that’s completely based on trust. It might be the only one left that hasn’t been damaged by betrayal. But no, they’re just buds.

TVLINE | Did any of your co-stars give you advice about vampire life, like how to put the contacts in or how to deal with the fake blood?
I got the fake blood talk. It was more of a warning that the fake blood is not very delicious. There’s a flavor that’s good, then one that’s not good, and you’re supposed to ask for the good one. It’s cherry that’s the good one, not maple syrup. Also, if you swallow too much fake blood, you’ll get a stomach ache and a sugar rush — and eventually crash.

TVLINE | You just go up and ask for your blood every day, like you’re at a bar?
Yeah, kind of. You just go to the prop guys, and you’re like, “I’ll have cherry today. Thank you.”

TVLINE | Makes sense. Lastly, if vampire Cami was human Cami’s patient, what would she think of her?
Oooh… I think human Cami would be very scared of her. Vampire Cami is everything that human Cami is repressing in herself. And I think she’d see a lot of parallels with Klaus.

Originals fans, what are your thoughts on vampire Cami? Drop ’em in a comment below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jess says:

I’m really not thrilled about yet another transition story. I’m not a Cami fan to begin with, and if last week was anything to go by, this isn’t going to make any sense (is her humanity on? Why does she have a personality transplant when becoming a vampire isn’t supposed to do that? What was the POINT of this?), but whatever. If we have to endure this Cami nonsense to cycle back to decent supporting characters like Marcel and Hayley and Davina, then I’ll put up with it.

• Shaun says:

Exactly,Caroline was still Caroline and Elena didn’t turn into Katherine,lol.

• cathy says:

Actually your kind of wrong because as a human Caroline was quite annoying as she was incredibly insecure and was quite jealous of elena but whenshe bbecame a vampire she mellowed out a lot and grew into herself and elena became darker once she became a vampire before she even turned off her humanity so the transition does slightly change everyone in different ways.

• hannah says:

Your forgetting that human Damon was very different from vampire Damon. And every human to vampire transition is different.

• Anna says:

Too bad because she’s the best

• Bryan says:

It’s there in the interview
      “Vampire Cami is everything that human Cami is repressing in herself”

• Nicaela says:

Cami has said a few times and when she was deciding whether to transition or not,that she has a very,very dark side.

2. Jovana says:

Leah Pipes is so sweet, I love her interviews.

3. BrightLight says:

HA! While watching last week I actually said “Well Matt, looks like you’ve won the Human Games because Cami has fallen.”

4. Lou says:

Cali should have stayed dead she is the worst character ever !

5. Karina says:

I didn’t sign up to watch the Cami diaries. The actress seems to be a lovely person but I’m not a Cami fan. Hopefully the show can focus more on the Originals, not supporting characters.

• Shaun says:

sometimes characters are pretty boring until they get more power.

• Lisa says:

It just feels like such a waste with this show. It’s been three years and the show is on it’s last legs. There are so many other compelling characters, such as Vincent or Marcel, and Davina and we get all this wasted on a boring character with a new personality. It’s DOA and I don’t see it improving.

• Jess says:

This is what’s frustrating to me. I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to get a decent Marcel arc and we’re what, exploring a new retcon with Cami? Why? I legitimately do not understand why we’re doing this now.

• Bazooka says:

She’s been main character from season 1 episode 1.

• hannah says:

The Cami Diaries are you kidding? She’s a main character. And finally she’s getting some more screentime. Just like the other characters have been able to get.

• She is one of the main characters so yeah fail.

• helenstrub says:

Cami has been a main character since Day One. With all the various powerful supernaturals running around, it was always important to see the show through a human’s eyes. The fact that she had a background in psychology was a value add. It was in her nature to question, to challenge. Leah Pipes is a great enough actress that I can’t wait to see what she does with this.

6. Kalli says:

Snooze. I’m sorry but I have no interest in watching No Humanity Caroline 2.0. The whole “Cami failing as a character” will not be fixed by making her completely insane. She needs to get outta NOLA before she winds up dead. Or here is a thought, give her an actual storyline outside of Klaus. Who is she as a person? Her past? Her history? We know absolutely NOTHING about her and it’s been 3 seasons of her and Klaus crying at each other. Seriously, put one of them out of our misery.

7. Anna says:

Her character makes me sad if I’m being honest. All of her storylines in the past two years have been about propping up Klaus and his manpain. She deserved better. We know nothing about her besides what happened in season 1, and that she was a bartender and psych major. Klaus took away her agency in the last episode, and even then, she spoke about how her brother and uncle (all men) wanted her to grow up and have a family. Well, what about her? What did she want? And she wanted to die, but yet again, she’s propped up to do what Klaus wants. It’s so misogynist and one reason I cant ever get behind her character. She literally ended up dead because of it, and no personality change is going to fix that.

8. QueenMe says:

I’m really excited to see Cami’s journey as Campire (lol Leah). I hope we get to see more of a Hayley and Cami friendship as well. It will be interesting to see if her new vampire status will tear her and Klaus apart or make them closer. I’m hoping it’s the latter. Also the acting in the last episode between Leah and Joseph was A+.

9. Snooze! Wake me up when Caroline shows up!

10. Stacy says:

I am sick of getting subjected to a vanilla character getting a recycled TVD storyline. I didn’t like Cami to begin with and she has become more insufferable now . Just dessicate her so we can enjoy characters like Marcel, Davina, and Josh. Nothing against LP, she’s great, it’s not her fault for her bland character and terrible writing. The show is sinking, would be surprised if it was renewed for a full season next year.

• Valerie Mendez says:

The show is not sinking, for one, and yes Cami character is weak, but the writers can take this chance, besides we don’t know how long she would be around. And they will be around for SEASON 4. Believe that. I didn’t care for her character , I truly think her and Detective Will Kinney would of made a good couple when she was human at some point. But now no hope.

11. Sharon says:

Please, the last thing I want is more Cami. Here character is so boring and I think she makes Klaus weak. I’ve had enough of him crying all the time!

I would love, LOVE more Marcel. He is a great character that we don’t see enough of. I’d even like to see more Davina.

12. zed says:

I am only interested for the Cami-Vincent arc- they have major chemistry-I wish they go there even pairing them up!! But I doubt EPs will go there. and they are now forcing Cami a bit too much- and so I do understand where the above comments are getting at- most of us watched the transitioning torment and change of character on TVD-so, yep, we find it a bit recycled and a tad bit tedious.

13. Maryann says:

I just hope that we see traces of who Cami was before she turned. She was my favorite character on the show and I hate to see that change.

14. Valerie Mendez says:

Listen, The actress Leah Pipes us great, but when she was a human, she was too judgmental when it came to Klaus and I knew she had secrets of her own. Now she can’t be so righteous. Klaus teaching her well we all know he’s not the best, but he’s real about being a vampire. So tonight we will see.

15. Carla says:

I’m just so happy that you guys after returning…. I have missed you :-)…I love you Klause…..I would want Klause to make me….lol.

16. Karen says:

I’m not a big fan of the Cami character either but maybe now that she is a vampire tings will get better! I would like the show to focus more on Davina and Marcel. Claus needs to be with Caroline from Vampire Diaries! LOL!

17. Isis says:

Cami didn’t change. Every character like Caroline and Elena when they became vampire they wanted blood. But now that it’s Cami turns some people are angry. I really can’t wait for Cami and her acts…she’s not rippah and she still have her humanity on.

18. Storys says:

I wish they had gone the path of a hunter/researcher for her and kept her human a bit longer with it. They had the perfect opportunity by giving her the uncle’s stuff. I really like Cami and her connection to Klaus but I’ve never really been happy with keeping her as just a therapist. I’ll see how the vamp thing goes but being a hunter would have at least made her different.

19. I can’t wait to see Cami as a vampire and I know Leah will slay in acting. I say bring Campire!

20. Wilmien says:

I think it is great that Cami is still alive it would wonderful if she and Klaus could find their happy ever after although it’s not going to be easy Leah Pipes is a great great actress and she brings out something beautiful in Klaus don’t hate that’s what many fans wanted Klamille all the way!!!

21. watchqueen86 says:

Can’t wait for more Cami and Klaus…..keep it up!

22. Nairo says:

23. Lily says:

Love Cami and Love Leah Pipes.
    Cami is my favorite character so I can’t wait to see how she handles being a vampire. I also love the Klamille relationship so I’m interested in seeing how their dynamic will be like now. This storyline is the most interesting one on the originals right now

24. Wilmien says:

Just to add something no new vampire was an angel to begin with they all find their way eventually for better or the worst part love the originals klamille always and forever!!

25. Emflem says:

I seriously can’t wait to see this new version of Cami! She rocked it as a human and I just know Leah’s gonna knock it out the park, playing a vampire. The end of 3×10 was one of the hottest moments on the show. I’m nervous but also excited to see the way Klamille is gonna go now that Cami is a vampire.

26. Natalia says:

I cannot wait for tonight to be quiet honest! I’m so glad she’s not dead. This is Cami’s moment to shine. IVE BEEN WAITING SINCE S1. MY QUEEN! ❤❤ GO VAMPCAMI!

27. Wilmien says:

Klaroline is over!!!!

28. Mitch says:

I am here for Campire~! Love LP and Cami

29. Patty says:

I love Vamp
    Cami I can’t wait for the next episode. Thanks for the interview with Leah, my fave!

30. Looking forward to Cami’s story! She’s so complex and we’ve been shown bits and pieces of her dark side and how she (and her family) have battled with humanity/morality and the supernatural. Excited to see how she handles vampirism and how she’s going to learn how to cope with her heightened senses (and you know, with the fact that she’s dead). We know becoming a vampire is hard on every character and they all manage their grief and emotions differently – now it’s Cami’s turn!

31. Vlatka says:

I love Cami she was great as human, and she will rock as vampire!!! Haters gonna hate as always because Klaus loves her, ans not their faves, but who cares lol

32. Jess says:

Looking forward to Cami as a Vampire and sexy Klamille!

33. Emma says:

Great interview with Leah! I liked her answers about the whole vampire storyline.

34. Zafina says:

This is a whole new Cami and I like it! I’ve always been a fan so I’m just glad Leah is still in the show. Maybe we should do a poll VampireCami or Campire. LOL

35. I am thrilled beyond belief that Cami (and Leah Pipes) are getting this major storyline. Her character is severely underrated and Leah Pipes is the absolute strongest actress they have. I’m pumped.

36. Lisbeth says:

I’m here for vamp Cami & Klamille!

37. Monica says:

Leah Pipes is a great actress. Give her any material and she will slay it and make it justice. She was awesome as a human and I’m sure she will be just as awesome as a vampire! Her mind games can do for really interesting compulsions as well as her use of dark object. Honestly the potential is endless so I’m truly thrilled about this new side of her being explored .

38. Ivy says:

Cami is a vampire now and I’m worried it’ll change the Klamille I fell in love with but I’m keeping the faith in these writers and their wonderful story telling this far.

39. Seriously cannot wait for Cami to discover her dark side. Leah’s acting has always made me love her character, just those tiny subtleties in her facial movements convey everything. She’s made the character her own, so I can’t wait to see her progress into something more. Finally, the screen time she deserves!

40. Isis says:

Cami IS STILL Cami. She didn’t change. I just the new feeliings that Caroline and Elena experienced.

41. Kelly says:

I was thrilled that the whole promo for 3×11 was centred on Cami! And now a Leah interview! Thank you tv line!!! <3

42. Mara says:

If people could stop comparing Cami to Caroline that would be great, especially when they have nothing in common besides the fact that they are both blonde and caught Klaus’s eye. Seriously…

43. Nik says:

People worried about Klamille fear not – they’ll Most likely go through a rough patch while Cami adjusts to being a vampire but it’ll work out in the end for our OTP!

44. Sammy says:

Ive always wanted Cami to stay human but after the last 10 minutes of the last episode my mind has been firmly changed by Leah Pipes! Bring it on!!

45. I’m so excited!!! I love Cami and KLAMILLE. Vampire Cami is going to kick ass.

46. Franky says:

Im glad Cami became a vampire I don’t think I’d watch the show without her.

47. Marina says:

I love Leah Pipes! Thanks for this interview!

48. Milo says:

Vampire Cami is hot!! I’m down with this!

49. Mandy says:

Can I just say how excited I am to see Cami as a vampire!? I wonder what klaus is going to do when she starts going off the rails? I hope he helps her and reins her dark side in.