Flash Harry Caught

The Flash Recap: Less Fast & Furious

This Tuesday on The Flash, Harry started stealing Barry’s speed (with near-disastrous consequences), while Iris worked her reporter wiles to hopefully put the brakes on Wally’s racing habit.

As I recently expressed to EP Andrew Kreisberg, I had my issues with how the Wally West arc started — the whole Angry Young Man Bristles at the Father/Sister He Never Knew thing. But as he noted here and as played out on-screen this week, Wally’s emotional walls are justified and, ultimately, there will an end to this means.

As Iris notes during an otherwise civil family dinner, Wally is “all about the speed,” fascinated with not just cars but rocket ships and what not. Iris then takes Joe to task for acting more like Wally’s age-inappropriate buddy and less like his father. When Joe resists putting on his cop hat to try to shut down the street racing, Iris dresses for the occasion to attend a race herself, where she snaps a pic of the creep who runs the illegal doings.

Later, Iris pays a visit to this Clarke dude, to task him with ceasing the races and offer a preview of tomorrow’s CCPN expose on his myriad illegal activities. Clarke reacts by physically threatening Iris — all of which, she reveals, she recorded and transmitted back to CCPN. Though obviously a bit shaken by the close call, this was a big first step in Iris using her skills to be a crime-fighting “hero” of a different kind.

Meanwhile at S.T.A.R. Labs, Harry coupled his sample of the Turtle’s noodle with learning from Reverse-Flash to engineer a frankly super-conspicuous gizmo (do we really need blinking lights on the thing we want to hide??) that will discreetly sap some of The Flash’s speed. During one of Barry’s first clashes with Villain of the Week Tar Pit, Cisco notices a slight slowdown, but everyone shrugs it off.

Both working late one night, Barry offers to help Harry figure out how to shut down all the breaches, speed-studying an Earth-Two tome on CFL Quark somethingoranother to do so. When Barry at one point comments on enjoying a mentor/father figure relationship again with another Wells, guilt-ridden Harry snaps back, “I did not ask to be your mentor! I already have one kid, I don’t need another.”

The next day, circling back on the outburst, Harry warns Barry, “One day Zoom will make me choose, and I will always, unflinchingly choose my daughter. I will betray you.” Barry argues that that is binary thinking — it needn’t be either/or — but Harry scoffs.

Later, Harry delivers the stolen speed to Zoom — “Drink up!” — with the promise to get the rest once his daughter is safe. But Zoom isn’t one to make deals. Rather, he ups the ante by threatening to torture Jesse within an inch of death, over and over, until Harry comes through. Some time after, Harry and Barry truly bond when their first stab at imploding one of the breaches is a success: “The first step in getting your daughter back,” Barry trumpets, adding guilty salt to Harry’s guilt-ridden wound.

Alas, Harry’s the-flash-season-2-photos (5)stealthy speed-sapping becomes evident when at one of Wally’s races, Tar Pit warps the road and effectively flips the young man’s car. Barry saves Wally, as well as that guy Clarke, yet is just slow enough to not stop a shard of glass from impaling Iris through her coat. Iris isn’t gravely injured, though, and her hospitalization paves the way for Wally to, at Joe’s behest, learn to be an attentive brother — as well as share how his need for speed is pegged to memories of long drives with Mom.

Back at S.T.A.R. labs, Caitlin confirms that Barry is moving exactly 2 percent slower than usual as of late, eventually prompting Harry to confess to his scheme and expose the blinky speed-sucking device. Joe lays Harry out then lobs him into the Pipeline. After Harry suggests that Barry send him back to Earth-Two, trapping Zoom over there with him — “jesse’s my battle t fight, not yours” — Barry later argues to the team that they would (and have) acted as Harry has, protecting family at any cost.

Barry’s counterproposal thus is to keep Harry on the team and instead take the fight to Earth-Two, setting the stage for, based on the promos, a highly entertaining trip to the Other Side next week.

What did you think of the episode “Fast Lane”?

1. Johnny says:

For someone who’s been trying to get faster, Barry certainly didn’t mind going 50 mph slower than usual. Regardless, looking forward to Earth-2 next week!

2. Lily says:

I can’t WAIT for Earth-2!

3. Drew says:

Good episode. Some nice emotion from Harry, Barry, Joe and Iris. I still kinda find Wally boring. But overall, I liked the episode. Two notes:
    1 – I do wish they’d stop saying “the other Harry” though. He wasn’t evil. He was a victim, killed by Eobard, many years ago. They should respect that more.
    2 – Why was Iris unconscious and hospitalized. Stitch her up and send her home! They didn’t even play it off as a major wound with massive blood loss. She just got an owie, for crying out loud!

• Phoenix5634 says:

2 – they needed an arc to show Wally as something other than an obnoxious teen, also shows the consequences of what could happen if Iris gets too involved with dangerous situations. And secondly it was a situation when normally Barry could/would have went faster, but the opposite happened, making him aware of something being wrong with his speedforce.

• Drew says:

Yes, but it still wasn’t a serious injury. She shouldn’t have lost consciousness or been hospitalized. If they wanted that, they could have smacked her in the head with a piece of metal or something.

• Phoenix5634 says:

True about the loss of consciousness, I guess you could contribute it as shock as to why she passed out, but they probably just wanted something serious enough, but not so serious that would take Iris out long period of time.

• Winter says:

I agree I was like that’s a few stitches and some pain meds not 2 days in the hospital. What kind of health insurance does she have that this is covered. If they wanted her to be at the hospital they should have had the glass puncture a lung or something.

• KCC says:

2 – I guessed she was in surgery to repair an artery. The wound was on her left side. When I see someone in a hospital bed hooked up to machines like that, my assumption is they are recovering from surgery, not they just has an “owie.” I think the director thought that was enough to show the injury was serious without having to take time to show everyone in a waiting room worrying about Iris and discussing her condition. When Wally came in she was out of danger and the drama at that point was about Wally, Joe and Iris’ relationships, which was the whole point of Iris being injured.

• Drew says:

If that was the case, they really should have implied that she had a more serious injury. One quick line would have done it.

• John NYC says:

They DID imply she was seriously injured: she was shown hospitalized and hooked to monitoring devices and a fluid drip. Which is not done for scratches but IS done when you sever a deep artery and start to bleed out….

4. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! Really enjoyed a lot about this episode, sensed a lot of subtle nods from all over the comics. I’m so glad they’re working with Harry now, hoping he stays around, the Wells character is an essential part of the flash team. Cannot wait for Earth-2 next week!

Cisco: Who’s the best hacker in the world people!?

Barry and Caitlin: Felicity Smoake
    Lol

5. Emily says:

This was a beautiful episode. Iris West was finally utilized as she deserves to be, and the West family moments were are all very strong. Harry’s scenes ruminating on Jesse and Barry were also very well-handled, and I can’t wait to see the visit to Earth-2.

It feels like season 2 has finally started for me.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Totally agree! Iris was awesome this episode. The live-stream recording device she used was brilliant! The whole West family had a lot of great scenes this episode. Haha Joe got to use his right hook twice. And the scenes with Barry and Wells were great, they have a really good natural team chemistry. And I’m really glad Harry came forward and told the truth, and that Barry was able to understand, and get everyone else to as well. It was all very well done in my opinion.

• Isobel says:

Agree it may have been for plot purposes but I like the fact that Barry pointed out that other members of the team had done similar actions to Wells. Often the heroes in tv and film do something shady and its ignored but when someone else does it it’s terrible, I like shows like the flash and BSG that point out its not so different.

• jade4813 says:

“We judge ourselves by our intentions. We judge others by their actions.”

I was also glad Barry have that speech because I was yelling at Joe through the television. He had JUST lectured Wally on it, and this IS Harry’s daughter. Joe would do the same thing.

6. Phoenix5634 says:

I’m wondering if Barrys’ chromosome damage isn’t a subtle reference to the damaged speedforce in the New 52 comics.

7. Amy says:

Great episode! Love to see Iris kicking some serious butt. And I enjoyed all the West family moments. I’m intrigued to see where this Harry Wells and Barry alliance will go. Noow onward to Earth-2!

8. Mark says:

Just as a side point, how does Jay Garrick survive on Earth-One and where does he live?

• Phoenix5634 says:

Lol that is a good question, they really need to utilize Jay Garrick better, after all he was the original flash. I do think he will have some kind of significant or redeeming role to play this season tho.

• Michelle says:

I am wondering if the real Jay Garrick was the man with the glasses tbh and the Jay with Team Flash is Zoom himself..

• Red Snapper says:

That’s an interesting thought. When they said the name of the Earth-1 version of him I figured they would be connected more than we thought. If that is the case, I hope they do it in a way that somehow maintains the legacy of the original Flash.

• Isabella says:

You read my mind. Maybe Jay plans to trap all of them on Earth 2 and use the particle accelerator to recreate his Speed Force. The illness might be real but maybe not to the extend he wants Caitlin to believe. I can’t remember if Jay and Zoom were in any scenes together.

• Michelle says:

I think it was when Jay told the team about it but we never seen any actual scenes. Just that story.

• dancmh says:

That’s always my thought. “Hey guys! Where’s Jay this week?” “Oh, he’s off somewhere slowly dying.” “Shouldn’t we be trying to help him?” “Nah. He’s ok. I’m way too busy moping around about my NRA loving gun crazy lady cop to do much to help him anyway and Cisco is building an app!”

9. Wally’s arc is really hitting close to home for me. I remember when I was 18 that I found out I was adopted and it sent my whole world into a tail spin as I tried to deal with it. I think I went through as many emotions as he did. Wally is really growing on me and I am looking forward to the day when he joins Barry (Hint, hint), but I won’t say more. Flash comic book fans will get what I’m talking about.

10. Shaun says:

I just had a thought….when Wally was saying, how he just wants to go fast…and faster. That sounded a lot like….Zoom. Wally is Earth’s 2 Zoom?

11. Alexis says:

This was my favorite episode of the season so far. Iris was awesome. It was nice to see her reporter skills and the show needs to show more of that. I love the West family scenes. I hope the rest of the season remains this awesome. Earth 2 here we come

12. Ana says:

best episode of s2. This show has been so lacking but this episode reminded me of why i fell in love with it in the first place. The original cast has amazing chemistry. The writers need to take note and utilize all of them.

13. Paula says:

I can’t stop chanting: IRIS, IRIS, IRIS, IRIS!! Candice Patton KILT it in 2×12 and the West family had so much drama in one episode!! YAAAASSS. Barry is back to being his old selfriends slowly and he was so happy after that breakup he couldn’t stop telling everybody he was single. Bye Patty, you will not be missed. EARTH-2 Here comes Iris West-Allen. It’s gonna be GREAT!! #CandicePattonSlays

• CLV says:

Loved that they gave Iris some stuff to work with. She’s an intelligent, strong and determined young lady. She could do a lot for the storyline. Plus they showed us how she’s a good boxer. I hope they utilise that aspect at some point soon.

14. Mo says:

Good:
    Barry being upbeat and SMART and doing his job. Team Flash providing the info but Barry still had to figure out the actual solution is about the best Team Flash can be. This is the 2nd ep in a row this happened. If they can keep this up maybe Barry can finally stop propping up Team Flash without making them look redundant. The ep also reminded me how loooooooooooooooong it’s been since we saw pure fun from the gang.
    So glad Harry fessed up, that was getting really old and Barry stepped up with PERSPECTIVE! That’s almost way too mature for a show on CW. Next up, off to E2!!!!!!!!!

Bad:
    This could actually turn out to be good and not bad: I hope this is the closest we will ever come to The Iris West and Family Soap Opera with a Side of Flash. You know it’s bad when not only was the villain of the week but also Team Flash were backgrounded in favor of Iris. And let’s not even mention Caitlin & Jay, like literally.

15. Ingrid says:

This was definitely my fave episode of the season. Iris was finally given the storyline and screentime she rightfully deserves. Loved everything, especially her scenes with Wally, Candice and Keiynan have an AWESOME chemistry. The Harry storyline was also very interesting, bring on E2 !

16. Angus says:

BRING BACK PATTY!!!!!!!!!!. Much better than boring Iris.

• NIK says:

She is donezo. Leave that messy, shoot-shoot-happy girl in Midway. She served her purpose, though I find it hard at times to know what that was, and she’s gone. Get over it!

• Mo says:

Patty’s purpose is to prove that despite Iris, a woman can want to be with Barry and he can want to be with a woman who’s not Iris. Go figure why they felt it necessary to show that.

17. Diana says:

Loved that we got so much Iris! Still beaming a little bit. Enjoying the growing bond between the three Wests.
    -Not sure why Barry didn’t go to see Iris at the hospital. Maybe there’s a deleted scene?
    -Where was Jay this episode?
    – I like the speech that Barry gave at the end about how they can’t really judge Harry, but i’m not sure i’m comfortable with how the show has glossed over the fact that Harry killed Turtle in cold blood.
    -Earth 2!

18. courtney says:

Barry and Harry were my favorite part of the episode. So glad we finally got some scenes between them because the chemistry between Grant and Tom is great and they need to give us more of them.

19. courtney says:

Other than the Barry and Harry stuff, not my fav episode maybe because I don’t really care about West family drama, which took up most of the episode.

20. Luis says:

I’m sorry, but wasn’t Iris more than a little reckless, confronting the ringleader of the drag races and threatening him with exposure when she hadn’t told her father or anyone else what she was doing, then showing him she was recording their conversation, which would only go to the police IF she was harmed? I think the recklessness runs deep in the West gene pool.

• Mo says:

But but how else will Iris need rescuing? how will she show her pluckiness aka stupidity if it was anyone else? I’m just amazed she didn’t put Wally in more danger. I guess that dude was just too stupid to sic his henchmen on Wally to stop Iris.

For the record, this kind of behavior is why I can’t stand love interests who does this kind of sh*t, it’s not just Iris. I’m looking at you, Lois Lane.

• CLV says:

I think journalists are a bit on the reckless side. They obsess over getting the big story more than anything sometimes at the cost of their safety. That’s why some go to war zones or places considered dangerous. That’s how they depict Iris here. She was clever enough to get some kind of safeguard for herself but she’s a go getter. I like that she’s brave enough to do that for her brother when her dad isn’t stepping up

• Mo says:

Joe wouldn’t have gone about it the way Iris did. That’s why she didn’t say anything about it to Joe. Good for Iris for taking steps on her own. Doesn’t mean she was smart, just lucky the guy was a moron.

21. Melinda says:

This was a very good episode. I hope that this is the start of The Flash returning to its season one roots. The first half of this second season has been lacking direction, in part to them setting up LOT. Now that LOT has launched, the Flash can return to giving us the Barry Allen that has been missing. It was great to see Barry and Wells talking science. I didn’t realize how much I missed nerdy Barry until this episode. The main enjoyment that I got from this episode was definitely the focus on Iris and Wally West. Iris being a protective older sister was awesome. I think some fans/reviewers have been unfairly critical of Wally. Wally while dealing with a dying mother, learns he has a father and sister. Of course he would have a range of emotions to process and some of it would be anger even if its misdirected. This episode showed how Wally is warming to his new family. Candice and Keiynon have a natural chemistry and you really believe that they are siblings. Iris going undercover was great and Wally’s reaction to seeing his big sister’s presence at his drag race was priceless. I hope that the writers continue to find ways to integrate Iris into the storyline and give her her own B plot storylines. Candice is a good actress and should be given more than five minutes of screentime.

22. Phoenix5634 says:

Wally is going to end up not liking Barry very much, I can see this already being set up, a kind of tension that will eventually reveal itself.

Barry in a way, basically replaced Wally as Joe’s son, and got pretty much Wally’s dream family life. And Joe keeps talking about Barry in front of Wally, he’s going to get jealous eventually, I almost guarantee its when Wally finds out about the watch Joe gave Barry, that Joe’s father gave him. And if its not then, it’ll be when he finds out Barry is the Flash, and really does have Wally’s dream life.

Also fun fact, Wallys’ car is painted in Flash colours ;)

• CLV says:

I think you are right about Barry and Wally. The fact that Barry came home and just looked in in ep 12 indicates a certain amount of discomfort on his part, maybe feeling he’d be intruding. I’m it will come up at some point

23. Phoenix5634 says:

anyone else finding the fishing or bait references kind of suspicious this season? Also when Wally was talking about the rush of speed that he’s basically addicted too…Kind of seems like how Zoom acted when Harry gave him the shot of speedforce.

I’d be interested to see how Harry reacts to seeing Wally.

What was the name of the park Henry was apparently fishing? An what was the name of the park they seen Hunter Zolomon?