Supergirl Bizarro

Supergirl Recap: Double Trouble

Now that she’s facing more enemies than ever, might Supergirl want to enlist James Olsen as her official sidekick?

After all, it wasn’t exactly Kara’s icy breath and heat vision that neutralized Monday’s Villain of the Week, Bizarro. It was a heartfelt speech from Mehcad Brooks’ almost-too-nice alter ego that caused Supergirl’s doppelgänger to finally soften. As it turns out, all it really takes to face down a National City threat is a few genuine words about being a good person. (Well, that and some reverse-engineered Kryptonite, but the point still stands.)

On Monday’s installment of the CBS drama, Kara comes face-to-face with Maxwell Lord’s latest creation: a once-comatose Jane Doe whose body and mind were messed with until she came back to life — the equivalent of a Frankenstein’s monster programmed to hate (and, ideally, kill) Supergirl.

Supergirl Adam KaraKara and Bizarro have several meetings throughout the hour, each of which leaves Bizarro wondering if Supergirl is really as evil as Maxwell Lord says she is. But when Alex and the DEO attack Bizarro with Kryptonite, assuming it will have the same effect on her as it does on Kara, the chemical not only strengthens the enemy and does her complexion zero favors also but makes her really, really angry — so angry, in fact, that she gets on board with Maxwell’s plan to eviscerate Ms. Danvers.

Meanwhile, as Bizarro threatens the city, Kara attempts to have a normal love life with Cat Grant’s son, Adam, an endeavor that goes very well before going very badly. Though their first two dates are filled with cavity-inducing levels of flirtation (and an electric first kiss), Kara ultimately breaks things off with Adam when her Supergirl duties start getting in the way of their relationship. (Poor Kara, always having emotional baggage that is a thousand times worse than her romantic interests’ woes.)

Let’s cut to the chase: Bizarro ultimately kidnaps James but is nearly won over when he  James waxes poetic about his adoration for Kara and her kind heart. Alas, when he is spied plotting an escape, Bizarro uses her fiery breath in dangerously close proximity to him — seriously, how did he not walk away with at least a few burns? Kara though hears James’ yelps and arrives in time to swoop in and kick some Bizarro butt until Alex can plug her with bullets full of harmful anti-Kryptonite.

Of course, even with Bizarro vanquished, Kara’s still got her fair share of problems. First, even though Maxwell Lord winds up in solitary confinement at the DEO, he does still know Kara’s big secret and, therefore, poses a huge threat. Plus, when Kara arrives home from her latest day of crime-fighting, she finds her apartment has been invaded by an out-of-this-world tendrilled organism, which pounces on Kara… just as we cut to black. Mercy!

What did you think of Kara’s encounter with Bizarro? Hit the comments with your thoughts on the latest episode!

1. Superfan says:

The resemblance between Kara and Bizarro was alarming. They pretty much nailed it in the casting department.

2. tallsy says:

I wasn’t exactly a Kara/Adam shipper, but that storyline seemed oddly truncated like it was meant for 3 episodes not 2

• tyranthraxus says:

I actually found that little mini storyline really bizarre. Obviously the two characters had some chemistry (because the actors portraying them are married in RL) but how the relationship came about was equally weird and I kinda thought it would burn out really quickly too. He was a guest star and was treated as such. I kinda felt like the show was casting him in to see if they could use him later on.

Secondly, James acted more like Winn of a few episodes ago.. being Jealous , angry and so on. It was kinda weird. Almost like Winn was reading James Dialogue and , James was reading stalkerish Winn dialogue. The James /Bizarro dialogue was some of the best in the episode.. in fact I think it was the best in the episode. Its just what he says to her and what he actually does around her seem to be two entirely different things. Is Lucy Lane the impediment here? (Also I think they seem to be angling for a ‘Break them up approach/ Have them work together story) Its the only reason I can see Lucy working at Catco.. it dosnt make a lot of sense otherwise.

3. first i have to watch this,s new full episode still

4. Mr. Tran K says:

I was surprised when Bizarro kidnaps James Olsen and I almost jumped out of my seat about that ending which leads into the next episode.

5. peterwdawson says:

You know, as much as I tend to hate 1/2 episode romances that don’t really serve much of a purpose, having the episode’s subplot basically be ‘Everyone Loves Kara’ while there’s an evil her running around was a nice touch.

• tyranthraxus says:

I mentioned it in a comment above, but it didnt do much for me. I think he will come back again at some point but It almost felt like he was introduced here so they could do more with him later.

6. Sheldon W. says:

Very solid ep.

I’m hoping that J’onn J’onzz steps in to (shall we say) moderate Maxwell Lord’s memories regarding Kara/Supergirl and Alex. I think the situation is potentially dire enough to prompt that.

I’m pretty psyched for the Supergirl version of Alan Moore’s classic Superman tale next week.

• tvjunkie says:

except Maxwell most likely has video evidence regarding Kara, unless you really think he’d plant a camera bug that doesn’t allow him to record what it sees

7. ? says:

I guess they’re doing “For the Man Who Has Everything” next week? After doing Bizarro this week? It’s kind of too bad that Supergirl has never really had any great material of her own for them to adapt so they have to keep stealing from Superman. Oh well. Honestly there really isn’t even that much “great” material for Superman, so I guess they’ll have to start making stuff up from scratch sooner rather than later!

8. Pat says:

I am absolutely loving this show. I felt bad for Kara when she decided not to continue seeing Adam. As for her and James hooking up, well I think for now that will not happen. Oh what to do with Maxwell Lord. This guy is pure evil and you know he will be getting out of that cell soon. As for wiping out his memories, well this will probably work for a little while but something will happen and he will regain his knowledge of who Supergirl is.

9. Rafael says:

Bizzaro should have a “Z”, rather than an “S”, on her chest. Be careful about having both Bizzaro and Maxwell in the same hideout.

• herman1959 says:

Bizarro girl’s function on this show is to be Supergirl’s look-alike. Therefore, she would need to be dressed the same; the “S” is correct.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It was a backwards “S,” which from a certain eye thus is a “Z.”
      Bizarro

10. alistaircrane says:

I’d rather have Adam than Jimmy or Winn. He’s the only one Kara has chemistry with.

11. Cl@rk Ken+ says:

work caused me to miss the ep, so, can someone tell me exactly what anti-kryptonite is. is it just chunks of earth?!?!