SYTYCD Season 13 Renewed

So You Think You Can Dance Renewed, With 'Next Generation'/All-Stars Twist

So You Think You Can Dance fans, your national nightmare is finally over.

Fox on Monday announced the renewal of the dance competition show for a 13th season in which the contestants — between the ages of 8 and 13! — will be paired with all-star dancers.

Host Cat Deeley is slated to return, along with judges Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo.

The new season of SYTYCD premieres Monday, May 30. Auditions begin Feb. 27 in Los Angeles.

Your thoughts on the show’s renewal (and facelift)? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. csb says:

This is not a renewal of SYTYCD really. It sounds more like a spin-off. It would be much more interesting if they did 13-17 year old dancers.

• Gmom100 says:

It started going downhill last season with “street vs stage” (boo!) and two new judges-Derulo and Abdul-with no Mary Murphy. Bad enough, but with 8 to 13 y/o kids? Dancing with adults? I’ve watched and loved this show from the beginning, but I may have to skip this season. What are they thinking?? And I just LOVE Cat! :(. I’m afraid this will be the end of SYTYCD. Sad…..

• Jean says:

Feel EXACTLY the same way. Hated
        street vs stage. A little street is tolerable. Wish they’d just go back to their original format.

• Lisa says:

Agree 100%

• Judy Field says:

Agree! Go back to the original format. Make the dancers do some hip hop and other styles, but lets get back to real dancers and not all the kids of dance teachers. I hate this format and didn’t really love the street vs stage.

2. Troy says:

So basically it’s So You Think You Can Dance Juniors…

• lechatnoir says:

I bet they will have a British invasion season at one point. Its getting ridamndiculous. This show doesn’t need lythgoe. At this point he sounds like the occasional racist uncle.too many faux pas. Bring back maire Murphy

3. Lisa Huber says:

8 – 13??? That’s not entertainment, that’s child abuse. I understand developing talent and pursuing your dreams, but putting children of this age range through a televised competition is not anything i want to support. What a shame. I’ve been a fan since the beginning and stuck through all of the changes to formats.

• Troy says:

And do they expect them to be “sexy” while doing the tango?? I can see this being all kinds of wrong…

• Curly Girly says:

Then I guess you’re not a fan of Dance Moms either….lol

• dancing queen says:

You obviously never watched Star Search. ..

• cheryl stanfield says:

i agree. The show was so good…why change it? Wasn’t crazy about the street vs. Stage last year, but still ok. Think having children dancing with the all stars will probably kill the show. Darn! Was looking forward to many years of viewing,,but can’t see this working.

• April Robinson says:

I agree. We got enough of that with that wicked woman and her dance troupe that was full of child abuse. SYTYCD … What r u thinking? Don’t change a good thing! Go back to the originally format and bring back Mary Murphy.

4. Melissa says:

I’m glad some incarnation is back, but please change the judges! Bring back Mary and dear Lord get rid of Jason Derulo!!

• bethsuek says:

Amen, sista!

• Kayk says:

Jason “Know Wha’ I’m Sayin’ ?” could give much shorter and more tolerable critiques if he could ever cut that phrase out of every comment! Sheesh.

• Samantha says:

This was total child abus. Kids waiting for hours in the cold rain with no toilet facilities or shelter. Some waited from 6:a.m and we’re still on line at 4 PM. Shame on Fox for allowing such cruelty. Yes please get rid of Jason and bring back Mary Murphy!

5. Ya, I don’t know about this. I’ve been a huge fan since the beginning and find it to be very inspirational. Not that I can dance in the least. Ha ha. I just find the emotion with dance so beautiful though. I’m not sure an 8-13 year old can portray that. We’ll see I guess. Wish they’d bring back Mary or Mia to the judges table though. :(

6. dougmedia says:

I’m assuming this is a joke? Kids dancing with adults? Sounds like a train wreck…

7. Drew says:

When I saw the headline, I flashed back to why I quit watching the show… It had been a long time coming, but the last straw was when they had kids dancing on stage, joined by the new judge who was performing a song that was nowhere near appropriate to be singing for kids. It was disgusting.
    So then I click the link and read the article, only to see this new age twist. There is no way I’m watching that.

8. Patricia says:

Won’t be watching. DeRulo is back and this new “concept” stinks. Should have just cancelled it.

9. Rachel Maurer says:

ugh — this is disappointing .. Derulo is back — blech and it’s little kids … boo hissss

10. BrookeBS says:

This doesn’t sound like a good move to me. It’s not going to be the same show. Not sure if I’ll watch and I’ve been watching religiously since season 2.

11. Brenda says:

I have loved SYTYCD and have tried to see the post-show vehicles for my favorite dancers, especially those who have been on Broadway. The best choreographers, especially those like Sonya Tayeh and Travis Wall, design dances that are far too mature for kids the ages listed. I am really sorry to see this change being made. I wasn’t thrilled with the Street/Stage mess from last year, but this sounds even worse. Why, Nigel?!

12. CC says:

At first I was so excited to see the renewal nice until I read further. This is not my SYTYCD :(

13. Dor says:

Wait what? You’re gonna have a child dance with an adult? Like what happens when they have to salsa, tango, and shake it? A good bit of those dances are for mature dancers….. This could be a trainwreck!

14. Jay says:

Wait, so I will be watching a bunch of little kids compete? Why???? I can’t stand kid orientated competitions. Looks like I have one less show to watch this summer. Its a shame they had to ruin it, this was the only competition show I still watched.

15. Pat says:

Why 8-13 year old? It was so much fun watching the older dancers. I really do miss Mary Murphy.

16. Dakota says:

American Idol juniors. No Thanks

17. David Ferry says:

I don’t like that at all. Bring back all dancers not just kids

18. Goldenvibefan says:

Oh my. What have they done to my beloved dance show? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

19. Magali says:

Kids 8 to 13 ?!? Dancing with allstars. Plus DeRulo coming back?! FOX is daring me to let go a show i have watched since season 1. It’s sad really.

20. Gloria Seales says:

I love this show but am not in the least but interested in seeing young kids compete.

21. Jamie Paton says:

Mixed feelings about this. Happy the news didn’t say ‘cancelled’, but I just think the quality of dance has only been elevated over the years so to switch to kids almost feels like it’s going to be a step backwards. And pairing them with all-stars will only making the deficiencies all that more jarring.

22. K says:

I’ve been watching since the show first premiered and I think this is going to be the first season I skip. This sounds awful. I almost dropped the show half way through last season with that stupid stage vs. street format. Disappointing, especially because this will more than likely be a final season :(

23. David Ferry says:

Bring Mary back! Kids are just starting; I want to see accomplished REAL dancers. Boo! Read the comments. You’re going to assure this show gets canceled.

24. Mike says:

This is a huge disappointment. It’s not even the same show. And to quote Jason Derulo, who I wanted to see gone, “I would NOT pay good money to see this.”

25. Tommy Grahn says:

NO! Are you crazy??? Don’t mess with the format of this show! I do NOT want to see CHILDREN dancing on SYTYCD. BAD IDEA!!! WTF!

26. Did they learn *nothing* from American Idol Juniors? Seriously folks, just forget last season happened and go back to classic SYTYCD (minus Jason Derulo pls). It was the best reality competition on TV. BRING IT BACK!

27. Tammy says:

religious fan since day 1…this concept sounds horrible…just lost me… : (

28. James says:

Fans your national nightmare is finally over? No, I think it’s just beginning! Fox wake up, the new judges are horrible and now to make matters worse you’re going to make the show about kids??? I have to believe that most viewers tuned in because this was a show about dancers trying to break in to their chosen profession. For the most part it was a show about their talent, drive and yes sometimes personality. This new format sounds more like an episode of Dance Mom’s and that’s nothing I want to see.

29. CarolH says:

Please no Jason Derulo…he has ruined the show!!

30. Guy says:

Not the least bit interested in watching kids compete on this show. Ugh. Big mistake. It’s really a shame too. The ratings will likely be lower and this could very well end up being the final season, which I’m not even going to watch with this stupid kids concept.

31. I was so hoping they would go back to the old format and get rid of Paula and Jason. I have watched from the beginning and before last year it was my favorite show. Guess I will have to stick with Dancing With the Stars. Ages 8 to 13, are they kidding. I am done with this show.

32. Elaine says:

8-13 year olds dancing with pros? Please say it ain’t so Fox! This is just wrong on so many levels!

33. bethsuek says:

I can’t believe that anyone but Nigel and the other producers thinks this is a good idea. Each year I look forward to the show but like many of you, I sense an opening in my viewing schedule this summer.

34. Barry says:

So is this the way they are killing one of our favorite shows? I will not watch a child version of this. Might as well just cancel it now & save the production costs. The fan base will not support this as you can see by the comments below. Bad rating will ensue. VERY disappointed watcher from season 1.

35. Rudy Goldblatt says:

so disappointing. been waiting for this renewal and now this. and bringing Jason derulo back.
    time to give it up. really said

36. Jim says:

This is super exciting…
    …except for the kids part.
    …and the Paula / Jason part.
    Wait…

37. Gilded Lady says:

SYTYCD in name only. Just retire the show already!

38. Erin says:

This feels like a terrible decision that will kill the show.

39. kitsunesaru says:

‘Nightmare is over’
    Not really…

40. CJ says:

Yuck. I am sincerely disappointed. Looks like I just free’d up a couple more hours a week on my DVR.

41. a says:

I’ve been watching for 10 years but am not interested in this. Bye-bye, SYTYCD!

42. Wendy says:

Kids? Ugh. I guess it’s time to bail on a favorite show. I miss it already.

43. JB says:

And I’m out… what a terrible decision. We want our SYTYCD with adults… The ratings will plummet and it’s a terrible way to tarnish a brilliant show. It’s an even worse decision than brining on Jason Derulo. Ugh.

44. JR says:

Nope, not watching this. They would have been better off to cancel it.

45. Nathan says:

So disappointed to hear THIS is how the show is going to be now. I have watched nearly every summer (starting with the year Sabra won) but I just can’t get on board with what’s coming. Kids? Derulo back? Sad to say I am gonna be sitting this one out.

46. KMG says:

I can only echo what others have said… this has been my family’s favorite show on TV since season 2, and we were really excited when we got the initial word that SYTYCD was coming back. But this sounds awful. I don’t watch kids’ competition shows, and I rarely enjoyed the occasional kids they had coming in to do a guest appearance. I love Cat, but this is NOT the show I have been watching the past few years. Count me out.

47. Rose H says:

I also don’t like the idea of kids that young. Some of the dances are supposed to be sexy and seductive. I have watched it faithfully every season but might give up on this one. Of course, they might not feature the sexier dance routines. I’ll have to wait and see. If it was ages 13-17 it might be more appropriate.

48. Vala says:

R.I.P. So you think you can dance. 2005-2015. Thank you for 5 amazing seasons, 5 alright seasons, and 1 that we should not remember. Nigel Lythgoe may you burn in hell.

• Even an alright season of SYTYCD was better than any of the other reality competition shows on TV. Why would you do this, Fox? WHY??? I don’t think I’ve seen any other comment section on an article that was 100% negative. Pay attention, Fox. Nobody wants this!

49. David4 says:

This sounds horrible, another year I will not be watching.