The Good Wife Recap: Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation

We don’t have a ton of background information about Lucca Quinn, Alicia Florrick’s plucky law partner on The Good Wife, but I wouldn’t be shocked to learn she’s a graduate of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (House Gryffindor, of course).

Think about it: With just a penetrating gaze, she finally freed Alicia from the prison of emotional disconnectedness where she’s been locked away since the death of Will Gardner. Also this week, Lucca dropped a reference to something called the Brotherhood of the Robe — which sounds verrrry wizardly, no? And (call me crazy for this) I’m pretty sure she whispered, “Expecto libido!” as she left Alicia alone with sexy muggle Jason Crouse — right before the mood turned all bah-chicka-wah-wah between ’em.

107526_0240bWhether she’s a witch or just wonderfully human, though, there’s no denying Lucca deserves a slow clap and a standing O for not just standing by Alicia during her darkest, coldest hour, but for pushing for the truth of our titular protagonist’s mental state, a task too scary for Eli, too late for Cary and/or Diane, too personal for Ruth, and not even on Peter’s radar. (All in favor of the immediate dissolution of the Florricks’ marriage, say “aye!”)

But “Judged” — the title of this week’s installment — isn’t really Lucca’s story. It’s about Alicia under siege: Facing a malpractice suit that’ll bankrupt the offices of Florrick-Quinn, suffering a bruising loss in court against a very dangerous opponent, learning the full truth of Will’s deleted voicemail, but finally doing something other than tensing her jaw and going numb over all the bad news. I’m not sure if Alicia’s got her groove/pulse back permanently, but with only nine episodes left in the season (and possibly the series), I sure as hell hope so.

Let’s recap the action:

* Alicia learns that her second Bond Court client, Clayton Riggs, is still behind bars on $150,000 bail — without his day in court… after eight months… for a mere disorderly conduct charge — by Judge Schakowsky (Christopher McDonald). She decides to sue her old nemesis for violating the guy’s civil rights, but it doesn’t take long before she’s slapped in the face by the reminder that the system is designed to protect those practicing behind the bench — and after the suit goes down in flames, Clayton hires Alicia and Lucca’s old Bond Court frenemy Bernie Bukovitz to sue Alicia for malpractice, to the tune of $1.5 million.

107526_0553bAlicia hires Cary to represent her in an attempt to get the suit dismissed, but when it proceeds to trial — and the other side won’t settle — Mr. Agos sees his opportunity, inviting Alicia to return to Lockhart-Agos-Lee as a junior partner despite all the toxic water under the bridge. He’s got his bourbon, she’s got her red wine, and all she can do is howl with laughter. Am I crazy for interpreting that response as a tentative “Yes” — and for assuming the deal extends to Lucca, too? How many Good Wife episodes is that now that have ended with somebody inviting somebody else to join their firm/go into business together?

* Jason returns from Silicon Valley bearing oven mitts for Alicia — a sly signal that she needs a little protection from his scorching hot presence? — but her response is deeply wan, and later, she can’t even get it all the way up (the corners of her mouth, for a grin) as she contemplates his gift. Oh, did I mention Lucca meets with him, too — she’s surprised Alicia neglected to mention his return to Chicago — and chides him for screwing with Alicia’s head? I love how she waves off his “Oh, I’m just a guy’s guy — I don’t know what I do to women” attitude. Because, c’mon, dude must know his power.

Meanwhile, though, Alicia visits Eli to rehash the exact details of the voicemail he deleted back in the day. “You’re torturing yourself!” he cautions, but Alicia plays a trump card when she reminds him it’s her right to do so. And so Alicia hears Eli’s crushing recollection, right down to the part where Will said that if she didn’t reply to him, he’d know just to return to business as usual.

When Florrick and Quinn finally get a chance to dish the impending suit that could cripple their firm, Alicia is downright snippy over Lucca’s meetup/friendship with Jason, and Lucca’s reply, “What’s going on with you, partner?” is loaded with “don’t freeze me out!” indignation. Alicia wanders off to transfer a load of laundry to the dryer — and the symbolism isn’t lost when Lucca follows her and asks meaningfully, “Would you like to talk?” Yes, it’s finally time for some dirty laundry, Lucca!

Alicia begins to explain how she was in love once, how the man died, and then spills her recent discovery of that deleted voicemail. It’s just enough to open her floodgates, and before either woman knows what’s happening, Alicia is in tears. “Now I’m sick to death of everything,” she says bitterly. “The fact that things get dirty. The law. Just standing here.” But it doesn’t end there. “I’m drinking like I never have before — and all I wanna do is have another one,” she admits, before sharing she just wants to climb into bed, pull the covers over her head and never do anything again. “I just want it to end!” It’s a devastating scene, powerfully played, the only false note coming when Alicia says she’s not sure she likes her kids anymore (which makes no sense, given the amazing support Grace has given her over the last year, right?!).

Lucca’s in tears by the end of the speech, too, wrapping her pal in a hug and saying “Alicia, you’re here because I need you here.” And then she does something beautiful — explaining to Alicia that in spite of all the sadness in her life, the one thing she can choose is to accept her friendship — all she has to do is say she’s willing. (I love how Lucca actually makes her utter the words out loud, and then double checks that Alicia doesn’t keep guns in the apartment. “You scared me there for a minute.”

* Alicia’s explosive display of emotion — after months of walking around in a depressive haze — seems to unblock her in other areas. When she apologizes to Jason for being so distant about his return, he tells her that “even when I’m not fine, I’m really fine,” and she chases him into the elevator and gives him the kind of kiss we’ve all been craving since dude interviewed to be her investigator. (What’s with Alicia and elevators, by the bye?) He clearly hasn’t forgotten their lip lock when he tells her later that he got offered a permanent, high-paying job at Lockhart-Agos-Lee — but didn’t accept it yet, worrying Alicia might think it was because she planted one on him. “You should do what’s best for you,” she says. And then Jason grabs her and does a little investigative work with his tongue — until her phone rings, she answers it, and denies us all a Jeffrey-Dean-Morgan-tearing-off-his-shirt scene.

Perhaps even more important than Mrs. Florrick’s sexual reawakening, though, is what transpires between she and Eli. He comes to her door late in the hour making one more plea for forgiveness. “You did end up with Will — and I did not keep you from doing that,” he reminds her of the couple’s post-voicemail trajectory, and then adds, “I’ve never been more sorry for anything in my life.” We see Alicia soften before our eyes, knowing that despite the betrayal, the man in front of her is one of her people. Just as she says she’s willing to accept Lucca’s friendship, here she proves she’s willing to do something to preserve her bond with Eli, too. “OK, Eli, you’re forgiven,” Alicia smiles — maybe because with her professional and financial world crumbling down, she realizes the value of having people who, flaws and all, remain in her corner. (Now can we please get some martinis of mutual forgiveness with Diane next week?)

What did you think of this week’s Good Wife? Did the Alicia-Lucca scene move you to tears? Were you stoked that Alicia and Jason kissed — or are you still pining for one of her prior paramours? Sound off in the comments!

1. Bryce says:

Man, J-Marg killed that laundry room scene. I’m super happy that Alicia can start to move on, and things really feel like they’re on the right track with this show. I’m excited for a great final run of episodes over the next few months!

2. If she didn’t take that job I’m going to be very disgruntled. When Cary, Jason, Alicia, and Lucca were all in that scene all I could think about was how amazing that pairing would be. A powerful foursome that I need. Lucca is definitely interested in the job from what we’ve seen before, Jason doesn’t seem like he’d deny the money, and Alicia could benefit, because she has less than no money. Everything feels like it is coming full circle and for that, I hope they don’t do another season, because I have a fear they’ll unravel everything they did in this episode. Since I do have a feeling everything will be more positive moving forward, towards that endgame.

• Bryce says:

I have a feeling that she’s definitely going to take it

• Hawkmoon947 says:

Yeah, but it’s insulting to be invited back as a junior partner to the law firm she founded with Cary. Alicia was elevated to senior partner at Lockhart Gardner and was a founding partner of Florrick Agos. Thanks to Peter’s and Diplo’s machinations, she was pushed out of her firm. If she rejoins it, humbled once again, I hope karma is waiting in the wings for David Lee, who fraudulently squirreled away millions of dollars to keep them from being part of her exit package. That could be her ticket back to where she belongs.

3. BrightLight says:

For all the crap I’ve given this show lately, I will be the first to admit that this episode was outstanding on all counts. It amazes me how this show can go from crap one week to amazing the next. (Although I do miss Ruth so much it hurts.) Cary and Diane actually had storylines that were actually worth watching. Eli was finally forgiven (really loved AC’s performance during the past two eps) and of course the Alicia/Lucca laundry room scene was definitely the highlight of this season so far. I really need Alicia to return back where she belongs and Lucca wants to be there as does Jason, so it’s really a win/win for everyone…including the viewers.
    On a side note, when Alicia screamed “I just want it to end!”, I actually said back to her “Now you know how I’ve felt for two years!”.

• Sandi says:

@BrightLight…You are so right. I was just about to give up on this show and then….wow! Tonight’s episode just pulled me right back in.

• MzTeaze says:

Lol. I opened Twitter during the show and the first thing I saw was a TGW tweet about torture. I tweeted back, “yes, you are torturing the FANS with this retread of revisionist history. Please make it stop!”

• LL says:

That is exactly how I felt too! This episode was really good. I love Lucca’s character and her chemistry with Alicia. Love Eli too, his character has grown the most, so I’m glad Alicia forgave him, let’s see how they move forward. I also glad they finally gave Diane and Carey more interesting story lines, I hope they keep it up!

4. Brad says:

This was awesome. Every single word of tonight’s episode was on point. Performances were phenomenal.
    “you don’t have to say tiny and little. They mean the same thing. Pick one or the other”. JM was breathing fiya tonight. And The laundry room scene had me in tears. And Eli at the door. The kiss.
    You get an Emmy. And you get an Emmy. Everyone gets an Emmy.

5. nikki says:

Wow. Alicia is a terrible person. I am so happy that this show is ending.

6. EllenAce says:

Love TGW! So glad Alicia was able to deal with some of her angst, through a much needed, heartfelt talk with Lucca. I’m glad that she’s given Eli some slack as well.

Love JDM…but I pray he is totally in Alicia’s corner, as remember Ruth warned Eli, upon her departure, that there’s a threat coming and to watch out for friends.

Meanwhile, sadly this show is coming to an end, with JM’s recent comments about leaving, come April, CBS showing limited commercials on coming attractions and the writers seem disenchanted. I wish the entire cast, all the best! It’s been a great run! Cheers!

• EllenAce says:

Love TGW! As I’ve said, sadly the end may be near. Removing Julianna from Peter and finally dissolving that debacle of a marriage, would be HUGE!

You’d have more Emmy Award scenes then the laundry room in her apartment could handle, not to mention increased viewership and endless seasons ahead!

• EllenAce says:

Love TGW! I happen to love her natural hair as well as any wig she’s sported.

She was once interviewed, where she implied that her identity and the character she plays, are different individuals, so the wigs are a must, for symbolic reasons. This way she can pull it off, at the end of filming. I think that makes perfect sense! You go JM!

7. carterfrancis says:

Awful.

8. Kristine says:

Does anyone else feel like Alicia is wearing a wig?!

• Leah says:

Because she is. And has been wearing one for every episode. Just Google it.

• MzTeaze says:

Lol you just noticed?. She NEVER had a natural part in her hair. Just hair and more hair. Not mention her magical length from week to week. Is it short? Is it long?

• rowan77 says:

Usually her wigs are very good on this show, very natural, but this season the wig has looked like a wig from day one. I don’t know if they resorted to buying cheaper ones, but if so, they should recycle of of her past season wigs into this year. It’s distracting.

9. Dick Whitman says:

Great, great episode. Did anyone else imagined how the laundry scene would’ve been with Kalinda instead of Lucca as it was happening?

10. tahina says:

The power of a kiss..

11. Linda says:

The show for me has never been the same since Will’s death. Not sure why I have kepted watching it. Maybe just hoping that somehow they would bring him back.

12. Jwill says:

Latest episode of The Good Wife was hopefully the last of the woe is me sobbing Alicia. Enough already. And please lets mive on from tje college newspaper saga…#worstepisodevr

• Eran says:

It was a plotline introduced at the start of the episode and resolved by the end of it. I suggest you Google the meaning of the word ‘saga’.

13. abz says:

And this episode just proves why I am not ready to let go of this show yet. The performances were brilliant. Julianna Margulies deserves another Emmy nomination. Her performance was so raw. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her breakdown. She actually made me tear up. Love her or hate her, for me when an actor can make me feel and cry, I think it’s wonderful. So many ranges of emotions I felt from feeling so bad for her, to thinking how awful of a mother she must be after what she said about her kids, and then back again to feeling sorry for her. Alicia is a truly human character. When she’s damaged and hurt she can be a really ugly person, and when she’s happy she can be so kind.
    The court case with the judge was great and totally made up for Diane’s case which was a bit of a snoozer.
    I hope they renew the show even if for a shortened eighth season. I think I’d still watch I’ll watch with or without the Kings. Although this episode reminded me once again that as much as I love the supporting cast, if JM goes, I don’t see how the show can continue.

14. Olga says:

I’ve seen more than one comment that says “When Alicia says she doesn’t like her kids, that’s nonsense”, and that really hurts. That devalues feelings of all the women who actually, really, don’t like their kids and are really afraid to speak out. Alicia speaks out – and editorials shrug it off and dismiss it and say it’s depression talking and it’s not her. Well, it is her. Her and many other women. And saying it’s not, dismissing those feelings – well, it sounds cruel to me.

• abz says:

I thought it was pretty shocking to hear her say it. If we’re talking about Zach, then I can see how she can have some residual negative feelings. However, with Grace, I think it’s quite surprising. I felt like what she said regarding her was out of complete exhaustion with life and depression. Grace has been there for her in ways Alicia may not even be aware of. She’s certainly saved her from many nuisances and helped get her practice started. Not only that but I thought Alicia and Grace were overall getting to really understand one another, moving past their differences regarding religion and spirituality and accepting each other. They certainly bonded. Unless Alicia was faking it te whole time.

• rowan77 says:

Olga, they’re talking about Alicia’s relationship with HER kids, not anyone else. It rang false because she and Grace have been a real team this season, and she clearly saw how Grace was being selfless in putting off her own goals to be with and help Alicia with hers. Now, Zach, I can understand, a bit, since he hides important things from her and doesn’t always return her calls. So her claiming to not know if she likes her children (plural) just rang very false for her character.

15. Annie says:

“And then Jason grabs her and does a little investigative work with his tongue — until her phone rings, she answers it, and denies us all a Jeffrey-Dean-Morgan-tearing-off-his-shirt scene.”
    Selfish little twit. ;)

16. robandco says:

Just wow. I mean how often do you get to watch stuff like that on TV? Just brilliant. If the last episodes are all the cast together it will be so good. This episode showed it.
    They brought it. We know which scene will be submitted by JM for the next Emmys.

17. Jm says:

As last night’s show started my wife and I lamented that the show had deteriorated as Alicia had. A show about a strong woman was missing the main character. Then we see that perhaps Alicia is reborn! We hope so.
    Your synopsis is spot on!
    Finally, the show needed to fill the investigator gap after Kalinda left and Jason is a great choice.
    Finally 2, I miss the element of physical danger that Bishop provided. Too bad they don’t have a role for him. He’s a different version of the strong, flawed characters the show is populated with.
    Finally 3, “Small Apartment?”. I should have such a small apartment!

18. Imzadi says:

That was an incredible episode. I cried when Alicia finally let it all out. And I was just as happy as her when she finally let it go. And poor Eli was finally forgiven. TGW at its finest

19. luli101 says:

PERFORMER OF THE WEEK! PERFORMER OF THE WEEK!! Loved this episode! Everyone was so awesome this week. Eli, Diane, Cary, Lucca, Jason, and especially Alicia. Thank you Kings!!

20. Marilyn says:

Loved this episode. Lucca had the right personality to end this Alicia downward spiral into depression. Yes, the scene in the elevator – very sexy – Are they ever going to get it on. Alicia needs new hair. She looks frumpy. Maybe that will change. Best episode so far. All made sense.

21. Lisa Echerd says:

This was one of the better episodes this year. The jury is still out though until next episode when we learn if she is truly going back to work with Cary and Diane because didn’t last week end with her turning Cary down? It’s time to put them back together. I think everyone is tired of Alicia’s office in her apartment and scrambling for clients and cases. The show has been going nowhere. The only drawback on last night’s episode is that Judge Schakowksy has prevailed. I so want her to get even with him before the show ends.

22. lori says:

I don’t understand what the “seven year plan” is supposed to be. This show has been floundering for at least two years now. Was that part of the plan? I’ll follow it through because I’m already this far in, but it needs to end. Constant recycling of the same stories…which firm is she with now…mopey unlikeable main character at this point…I’m just over it all. It’s a shame because it was so good for a few years. I would watch a series from Lucca’s point of view because she’s just great, but I don’t care about Alicia even a little bit anymore.

23. Sarah says:

I loved this show for a long time. But with Kalinda departing and being replaced by the silly supposed-to-be-hot investigator, and with Will’s death, it just seems to me to keep going further off the rails. Alicia’s main expression seems to be numbness, no expression, staring off into space, as everything that can go wrong does go wrong. The lawyers jump firms every episode, or so it seems, and that storyline is getting boring, along with most of the others. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m ready for this show to end. It’s totally gotten too silly to enjoy.

24. Bevyjo says:

She should never trust Diane. Cary, Alicia, and Lucca need to build their own firm. What’s the point in going two steps back rather than one step forward?

25. Gerri says:

Ugh I hate how arrogant Jason is and has been. Don’t like that she fell for his, I guess you call it, charm.
    I really hope that Judge and Lawyer and plaintiff get whats coming to them trying to sue Alicia.
    I want Alicia back at Lockhart Agos but not like this. Not because she need the money to pay off her suit.

26. El says:

I envy you, people. All I can see is a bad wig, sloppy editing and JDM phoning it in. The only genuine emotion I’ve experienced is the disgust towards Judge Schakowsky. How I wish it were more than that. Oh well.

27. Donna Tumbleson says:

I loved this episode everything about it! Jason is perfect for her and the show, Lucca is equally great glad things are working out with Eli, I love this show want it to run for years. Along with Madam Secretary.

28. Ella Jasper says:

During the first half of the episode, I kept thinking that I don’t care if they cancel this show. It is depressing and boring and I’m sick of Alicia’s frown. Thanks to Lucca and Cary, maybe there is hope for this show, IF Alicia goes back to the old firm. I hope the Kings realize what a waste it has been since she left. Too much time in courtrooms that no one cares about.

29. Alex says:

Amazing episode. One of the best this season. But Juliana’s acting was one of a kind. She definitely deserves Performer of the week top spot.

30. Bonita Beall says:

Best episode in a long time

31. Tom-VA49 says:

The Good Wife has shown us that dirty government is alive and well in Chicago. The dirt has covered every character in the show.

32. Elaine Atkins says:

Well of Course she will take the job!!! But REALLY how many times can you mix up the florrick Agos Lockhart company name! !Enough! Take the job Alicia along with Lucca, Use the company insurance andJason can take the inestigaitve job and put the stupid Judge in his place!!!!!
    And PLEAsE get divorce with Peter over with!!!!!
    Also I am done with Diane’s arrogant attitude!!

33. iris fogarty says:

i love Peter F aka mr big aka wonderful movies aka law & order. I hope that they
    mend their differences get back together after all neither is perfect they both have relations with anyone available

34. sladewilson says:

Luccia and Alicia’s laundry scene was the best Good Wife scene this year. Period. Pure gold….

35. Judy Linn says:

It’s about time Alicia had some kind of a,real hot as affair with Jason. The show really needs totally hot sweaty bedroom or where ever sex. You go girl ! We are really for so don’t come a knocking when the house is a rocking !

36. Nicole says:

Who is the actress that plays Schakowsky’s lawyer?

37. Olivia says:

While I miss Kalinda and Will, I really like the addition of Jason and Lucca. Hopefully the actress who plays Lucca won’t get so well-liked that JM decides she doesn’t want to work with her anymore. I was really happy to see the kiss, but it wasn’t quite as good as I’d hoped. They’ve had such good chemistry so far, but the kisses fell flat. Also, I really like Jason, but haven’t been a fan of Alicia’s for awhile. I think he can do better.

38. Erin B says:

Who leaves to meet Cary for a drink when you’re all up on Jason? Bad decision! I don’t care if it was about your career. Still a bad decision!

39. Sandra Lachenauer says:

I absolutely loved this last episode. I absolutely love that Alicia and Jason finally got together. Now I can look forward to some great turn of evens. Something new and wonderfully interesting. I also love Lucca. She is so !pretty and a great actress. Keep up the good work!

40. Rhane says:

I was absolutely in tears over Alicia’s speech it was long over due! And that kiss was also long over due. But I love the show and would love it to continue but it would be nice to see her with someone that deserves her and she happy with.

41. sherrie says:

Alicia is not the same woman as season 1, she needs to let Julianna s real hair go free and get rid of that god awful wig!! Please!! Curls be free, just like Alicia!

42. EllenAce says:

Love TGW! Writers should finally release Alicia from Peter–STAT!

However, I’ve already made my peace with the demise of this show. When the primary core character announces at an inappropriate forum/venue, that she’s looking for new job opportunities, during a congratulatory speech for the co-creators of her show, it’s time for “Good” bye! If the main character isn’t fully invested, then it’s no surprise the writers have been disenchanted as well. It’s all very sad. It could have been great, for seasons to come.

43. Dee Frost says:

I’m all for team Jason & Alicia and Carey Agos need to hire and hook up with Lucca!!