Grease Live

Grease: Live: Grade the Fox Musical's Back-to-Back Finale Songs

Faster than you can say, “chang chang changitty chang shoobop,” Fox’s Grease: Live came to a close Sunday night with two of the musical’s most memorable numbers: “You’re the One That I Want” and “We Go Together.”

Dressed in the iconic all-black ensembles, Aaron Tveit and Julianne Hough danced their way through Rydell High’s year-end carnival, before the rest of the Pink Ladies and T-Birds joined in for the show’s big finish.

One thing not featured in Fox’s version of the musical? Danny and Sandy’s mysterious send-off into the sky at the end of the final number. (Even with the magic of Hollywood, that would have been difficult to pull off.)

Now that you’ve seen Grease: Live‘s finale, tell us (how you felt) about it, studs. We’ll post a video of the performances as they become available, but until then, grade the final songs in our polls!

1. Charlie Burnham says:

Will this be both parts be repeated at any other time? Hope so!!!

2. Joann says:

I can’t believe that you thought a canned pre-recorded vocal track was awesome. There’s no way they were actually singing and dancing like that, it’s either one or the other.

• Jennifer says:

Have you ever been to Broadway? They do it 8 times a week. without a soundtrack.

• Not very observant, are we? Did you miss the mic lines running up their necks? The missed notes? The fact that the vocals were not balanced at times? Lots of clues for anyone to pick up on if you doubted the theatre aspect of the production. You have never been to a live show, have you? Shameful. Take some time and go!

• Dan Land says:

Hi Janine. I have not stopped thinking about the music since the show. I read that the music for the album release was all done before the show. ..but I can find no reference to any musician , where the musicians were, or how the music was synced with the “spot” singers as Jesse J walked around either. I think teh music was prerecorded … but maybe the vocals. were live. Jesse J (after stepping outside) & standing next to a marching band person) pulls the mic away from her mouth at one point and shouts “wheeew” or something. you see her lips move ..but no trace of sound, though the mic is an arm’s length from her mouth. I sure would like to know where the live musicians were … thre would be no shame if the music was prerecorded .. still an amazing performance.

3. KC says:

Not good. Lip syncing should not be allowed. Ruined the whole show

4. trooperwife says:

That was actually a lot of fun. .I knew I was going to enjoy it, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would

5. Robb J says:

You’re the one that I want is not part of the musical Grease, so why even consider it. It was added for the movie, stop trying to perpetuate that it is part of the musical

• TJ says:

They said this would be a mix of the musical and the movie. They never pretended it would be just the stage version.

• Kim R says:

I am glad they included music from both. Not everyone is able to see musicals performed on stage but have seen the movie (many times!). I think they all did an amazing job!

6. karen morshenson says:

I really enjoyed this version of Grease as much as the earlier production. very good and so glad that i saw it!

7. i’m glad the guy driving the second shuttle didn’t tip that thing over
    my heart skipped a beat i’m not gonna lie

8. Jim says:

Superb. ..never thought a sequel could come near to the original Kudos!

9. Jimmy says:

I was disappointed in the lip syncing and it didn’t quite live up to its predecessors. That said, Vanessa Hudgens totally rocked “There Are Worse Things I Could Do.” An Emmy-worthy performance.

10. Thanks to Cox Communications, we can’t see Grease Live here! :( Looking forward to tomorrow, though, when we can stream it!

11. Rachel says:

Julianne doesn’t have a strong enough voice to go with Aaron. Really showed with You’re The One That I Want.
    She’s the lead girl with the weakest voice of the singers.

12. JK says:

I liked this. I was disappointed in 2 things. Lip Syncing & no Shake Shak

13. keenen says:

From someone who never watched the whole movie or the musical, I am not comparing it to anything. I did, see a few scenes and I thought Hough was not that great and the lead guy looked way too old. Hard to give a great review when I didn’t watch it all

14. Paul says:

One Word: Encore!!!

15. Kathy McMahon says:

I did not know about this production till last week. I figured I give it a try. Congratulations to all who were in this! You all did an excellent job!!! My prayers to Vanessa and her family at this time!!! Your Dad would be very proud of you.

16. R.J. says:

Whenever Mario Lopez was on I kept waiting for him to shout out “Toenail fungus!”

17. ninamags says:

I thought this was fantastic!! I loved it!

Since I neither sing nor dance, I won’t presume to give an opinion about the acting and dancing we saw here.

I couldn’t tell if they were lip-synching or not. It was still good.

• Jill says:

I thought Grease Live was excellent; they were not lip-syncing and they put the whole thing together in just eight weeks . Kudos to all the actors! 😀

18. D says:

Hudgens floored me on her solo, was incredible.

19. Susan says:

We loved it! Almost like seeing it on Broadway.

20. ninergrl6 says:

So. Much. Fun. I was totally singing, dancing, and clapping along. I didn’t want it to end!

21. Talk about all time blunders. You took a classic. A perfected movie that was already interpreted from the 71 musical,and ruined it . Your attempt to change it”and its HISTORY was a complete failure”. You claim it was live when it was obvious lip sync over music. The performers while being good people attempted to step into the shoes of performers that not only outclass them in talent but did not have computer assisted visual graphics as in today’s “SO CALLED TALENT POOL” Yes Olivia Newton and John Travolta and cast did everything without computer enhancements. Unlike anything that is made today. Please be more creative. Make your own New musical “wait can you”?? Stop ruining what is already great. Also a little advice. Get rid of the Liberal “REMAKE HISTORY ATTEMPT. The music sung last night SUCKED.. The Ghetto add on was sub par. and stop trying to re-write history? Was Mussolini black? MK JR white? NO … And I would never want to watch a movie or a live performance if those historical characters where ever changed and I bet if that was changed there would be a huge uproar but yet the media and its attempt in movies seems to be ok with changing characters.. Stick with news..

• LADY_in_MD says:

you do know that these characters are fictional right? If MLK JR. was portrayed by a white male actor then that is a problem …Marty in Grease or the Football coach can be played by anyone because it’s a fictional character in a musical!