Grease: Live: Grade the T-Birds' Performance of 'Greased Lightning'

Sure, the Rydell High Pink Ladies might be the more fashionable stars of Fox’s Grease: Live, but Danny Zuko and the T-Birds did the impossible on Sunday: They made auto repair look fun.

Staying true to the 1978 film, Sunday’s performance of “Greased Lightning” featured Danny (Aaron Tveit) and his fellow greasers fixing up their beloved car — with the help of some killer synchronized dance moves, of course.

(As director Thomas Kail warned critics earlier this month, the live rendition of the song featured family-friendly lyrics, as opposed to a few naughtier lines that are included in the movie.)

Was Sunday’s “Greased Lightning” number as systematic, hydromatic and ultramatic as you’d hoped? Grade the song in our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Babs Wilkinson says:

Great costumes. I was in high school in. 1959 and recognized the pleated skirts, sandy’s bathrobe, etc …thank you zen Ivey Long. Quick changes impressive

2. KC says:

That performance was great! Julianne is terrible, wooden and certainly can’t act! Very painful to watch her.

3. JK says:

Why are they lip syncing? And some of them not very well. Quite distracting.

4. Galactus says:

Overcompensation for a WHITE Oscars this year. It should be called Affirmative Action Grease. Some white guys wet dream of a Grease melting pot in the 1950s.

5. Phun says:

So far, I’m liking it much better than The SOund of Music and Peter Pan that aired on NBC… but then Grease is one my favorite movies/musicals.

6. Bwhit says:

Aaron Tveit’s voice is amazing! I’m loving him as Danny!!!!

7. Dale Porter says:

OMG I’m a 52 yr old, have loved grease and have watched it over 1000 times, cryed through it then, crying through it now, named my grandson Rydell after the high school, thanks for helping me relive my teenage years and the making of the best musical ever made.

• Kim R says:

I’m 52 as well and my first job was at our local cinema. I saw Grease so many times and watching this now is just wonderful. I think they are all doing great!

8. no hair greese says:

Oh. Id rather watch the Smurfs.

9. znachki says:

I’m still ticked off that this song was given to the Danny character to sing. It’s supposed to be Kinickie’s song. Nothing against Aaron, because he is awesome.

10. campy says:

Show was ruined by Keke overacting . The fb coach was a joke compared to Sid Caesar in the movie version. Julianne is awesome!!

11. Lau says:

12. Lau says:

Grease should not be remade !!! This just plain stinks !! I grew up watching Grease as a little girl. And it should not be remade for TV. It’s just wrong, everything about it was wrong. It stinks !!

13. Lau says:

Sorry this remake sucks

• except NO…. it was live. And there were plenty of “off” notes to prove that. Pick a new complaint cuz this one doesn’t stick,

• ducttaupe01 says:

Um, off notes on a customized score? Yeah, they blew it. The score was customized to THEIR vocal ranges. And the sound cut out in the most difficult ensemble number. Technical malfunction, or they couldn’t sing and dance? It’s a combination of all three. Roseanne would’ve done a better job.

14. Carolyn says:

I’ve seen the stage version of Grease many times and last night’s performance on live TV ranks up there with the best of them. Too many people are comparing this against the movie version and that’s too bad. Kudos to the cast, direct and crew; they all did an amazing job.

Can’t help but note just in fun that I saw one small mistake, which didn’t take away from anything last night. Mario Lopez as Vince Fontaine said “American” Bandstand instead of “National” Bandstand once. Also at the end, the driver of the second tour car (I think it was the actor who played Kinickie) drove over the curb on the first turn. Again, I’m not taking anything away from the performances, it’s just that I like to look for things like this.