Frequency Pilot CW

Pilot News: CW Orders Frequency Redo Plus Paranormal Phenomena Drama

The CW’s first official pilot orders for this development season include a reimagining of the New Line Cinema film Frequency.

But whereas that 2000 film starred Jim Caviezel as a homicide detective who communicates with his long-dead firefighter father (Dennis Quaid) via a ham radio, the CW’s redo follows a female police detective who discovers she is able to speak via ham radio with her estranged father — who died 20 years prior and also was a detective. As they forge a new relationship while working together on an unresolved murder case, unintended consequences of the “butterfly effect” wreak havoc in the present day.

Supernatural‘s Jeremy Carver will pen the pilot and serve as an executive producer.

The CW also ordered an untitled project from Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, The Following), about a young woman who seeks help from a parapsychologist when she begins to experience paranormal phenomena. David Nutter (Arrow, Supernatural) will direct that pilot.

Which of The CW’s first pilot orders pique your interest?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. LADY_in_MD says:

I loved the movie but I am a little over these redos

• ScrubsGuy says:

Loved the movie also but I think the premise is a little thin for a TV series.
      Also, it’s crazy to see Jim Caviezel (Reese from PoI, AKA Jesus), Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) and Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost – yeah, I know she’s had more recent credits) back then. Well, not Caviezel – he looks pretty much the same.

• You’re going to hate that there is a “Training Day”, “Lethal Weapon”, “MacGyver” and a few others coming out later this year.

2. When I saw the movie I knew it would be perfect for a TV series.

3. Drew says:

It should be more than 20 years, I think. In the movie, there was a 30 year difference between them, putting the son in 1999 and the father in 1969. There were big cultural and technological differences, which really sold the idea.
    Making this 20 years means that she will be communicating with her father while he sits down to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Cell phones, internet, email… hell, he’ll be coming up on 9/11 if the show goes on long enough. Even the ham radio thing makes less sense in that context. She might as well get voicemail from the past.
    30 years would be better. Still not a mindblowingly different world, but the 80’s are easier to sell as the distant past than 1996 would be.

• ScrubsGuy says:

“I’m talking to my estranged dad through my ham radio…….app.” –from “Potential Script Problems when Adapting Frequency for Today”

4. MissEllys says:

Neither of these sound interesting to me….I guess it will depend on the casts. Where is Little Women: Apocalypse ?

5. Vince says:

Nutter is attached eh? That’s a likely pick-up. Where’s Riverdale?

6. FatherOctavian says:

If “Person of Interest” really is cancelled, they should have Jim Caviezel reprise his role from the movie, and have the daughter’s scenes be set in 2019. The only thing they’d have to explain away is why his daughter didn’t appear in the film.

7. yakunfayakun says:

This premise is working pretty well for Signal right now.

Korean TV Show

A remake of Bong Joon Ho’s 2003 hit movie “The Memories of Murder” which was inspired by the true case of the “Hwaseong serial murders” that occurred in the 1980s (1986 – 1991), which claimed the lives of 10 women ranging from a 71 year-old grandmother to a 13 year old schoolgirl victimized by a rapist-murderer who was never caught.

This drama will tell the story of detectives from the present and a detective from the past communicate via walkie-talkie to solve a long-time unsolved case…

The cinamatography and pace of this tv show set in Korea works well with this plot.

• johnhelvete says:

Memories of Murder is a very good film. So they are doing a Korean TV series based on the film with the above synopsis?

• Meena says:

I agree. I’m watching the Korean version of this show, Signal, right now and it’s excellent. Very tightly paced and exciting to watch. I think it works so well because the show puts a limit on the communication: they can only speak for 1 minute at exactly 11:33 pm every night. And only the detective from the past can reach out to the detective from the future. If the CW could pull it off this way, it would be a great show.

8. ninamags says:

Carver? Maybe he’ll leave Supernatural. One can only hope.

9. Mel says:

I love the movie Frequency. Interested in knowing how a TV adaptation, on the CW, would work.

10. Max says:

Ham radio, really? Make it more believable and change it to CB radio. Or change it to her grandfather instead of her father.

• Terry says:

Actually with either ham radio or a measly cb there’s no basis in scientific fact that radio waves can travel back in time. Solar flares don’t have that kind of effect. I definitely don’t see a children’s band (cb) ever doing that but the amateur radio gear just looks cooler. 73 de W5PCJ.

11. Olivia says:

Both have interesting premises, especially the Frequency one; the way this redo is presented reminds me of the 2005 game Still Life in some aspects.

First pilot orders that catch my interest.

12. Jess says:

both of them sound good

13. I’ll keep my interested eye on the Frequency reimagining but I’m gonna have to hear more about Williamson’s new show.