Arrow Photos: Roy's Return and More

Leather — and lots of it — is on display in the latest batch of Arrow photos, which mark Colton Haynes’ encore as Roy “Arsenal” Harper.

In the CW series’ Feb. 3 episode, “Unchained,” Roy returns to Star City, while Tom Amandes (Everwood) debuts as the cybervillain dubbed The Calculator.

“Whenever we bring people back, we always have a very specific character reason in mind,” showrunner Wendy Mericle has said of Roy’s comeback. “He’s going to have a really cool and emotional story with Oliver and Thea.” As for The Calculator appearing in the same episode, “There’s a connection there,” the EP allowed. “It may not be what people are thinking, but there’s definitely a connection.”

In addition to the costumed heroes (seriously, the slideshow below practically smells like a Wilsons store), you’ll also spy what appears to be Felicity prepping for a speech to the Palmer Tech masses.

1. GildedRose says:

Can’t wait to see more of Felicity Smoak’s story explored. This season has been really good for Oliver, Felicity, Diggle and Damien. Even Quentin Lance has for renewed purpose and Quentin and Donna Smoak are fabulous so far

2. Liz says:

I am so pumped for these episodes. I’ve waited so long for Felicity to get a storyline that’s just about her, not about Ray or Oliver or whatever. But for Felicity. This is so exciting. I still hate the wheelchair story arc though. Detest it.

Glad to see Roy back. I miss the days when it was just Oliver, Diggle and Roy in the field with Felicity on the comms, even though I really like Thea now. So it’s good to have him back even if just for one episode.

• amb1973 says:

Yeah, I hate seeing her in the wheelchair. Don’t care why they did it or what story it gives her, I still hate it. And there are tons of other ways to give her story.

3. Drew says:

I think it’s really interesting to have Felicity paralyzed. You just don’t see that happen very often on TV. The problem is, I don’t feel them committing to that story. They have already gone from “she will never walk again” to “might never walk again, worst case scenario”. And they’ve really rushed things with her. She just suffered a serious spinal injury. They would need time to stabilize, and then probably some kind of live-in rehab for a while, just so she can learn how to function in her normal world. It would be a serious struggle.
    Yet, they haven’t really done that. Felicity already seems to be getting along pretty well, with no therapy. Now it seems like she’s going right back to work. Granted, she was never good at the job anyway, but it still feels rushed.
    I know, I’m rehashing a lot of the complaints that I had with Fitz on Agents of SHIELD. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen the rehab facilities and how hard people have to work at this adjustment. It’s hard to turn off that part of my brain. I just keep thinking that she should be in rehab when she is on screen, especially if they’re really committed to her recovering any use of her legs.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ICAM and I too hope they follow through on it with no “miracle cure” in February or May sweeps. Always compelling to see those with the strongest of will faced with adversity. And as a fan of EBR’s work, I’m especially excited to see her tackle this arc.

• Lizzie says:

The trouble is, while I agree they had Felicity back to normal too soon, some people would complain that they’re dragging her story out too much. It seems like she can never win.

• Drew says:

I’m tired of Felicity being nothing more than the overly emotional love interest. In the first couple of seasons, Laurel was played as the love interest and had no interesting story of her own. Now Felicity is the love interest and has no story. It is frustrating. This isn’t a relationship drama, it is supposed to be a superhero crime drama (according to the producers, on the Legends of Tomorrow special). At least Felicity being paralyzed means exploring the ramifications of the war in their city.

• Lizzie says:

I’ve waited for a storyline just for Felicity too, beyond love interest, although I don’t agree she’s overly emotional. This is a huge problem in this fandom. A woman shows emotion and the men don’t like it. It’s hugely worrying. But the fact is, they didn’t have to stick her in a wheelchair to achieve a storyline. There’s plenty of other things they could have done. Now we’re stuck with the constant comparisons to Oracle. And I don’t think it’s fair that Felicity is the only one who has to deal with the ramifications of war in Star City. The only one who doesn’t wear a mask and she deals with the consequences. It’s unfair. It would have made more sense to have this happen to one of the masks, at least then they’d have a challenge to find a way to be helpful now that they couldn’t find (just as the story went with Batgirl turning into Oracle). Felicity was already a hacker, she was always on comms. Nothing much has changed.

• Rob says:

You have to take these things with a grain of salt. Do you really think all the fighting are realistic? Getting punched in the face lots of times and suffer a couple of scratches? There are some things you have to overlook.

4. Sil says:

Have missed Roy and Arsenal. He was one of my favorites. So great that he’s back. Closure for him and Thea I’m sure. I hope he isn’t the one who died. What a Cop out end for Roy if he is the one in the grave.

5. Fernanda says:

Rory is in that grave.. I hope not

6. Joey Padron says:

Good photos from the episode, can’t wait to see it next week! Excited to see Roy come back and Felicity’s storyline for episode!

7. Me says:

Seeing Darhk’s wife makes me wonder now that Oliver has competition for mayor….. Will the fact that he has a child come out??? Little bit of mud slinging wouldn’t surprise me.

8. Spencer Johnson says:

I can’t wait for rent your to come back in my opinion he should have never left!!!

9. DnSF says:

I’d swear we saw in peaks at future time lines just as that episode where she was pronounced paralyzed waist down, that she was up and about w/no wheelchair in sight? Imagine my suprise then the proclamation she is now w/c bound at least for now. Hmm dead doesn’t mean dead, you have a twin of yourself out there, and rebooting or retconned is not unlikely. Ever. 😎