American Gods Ricky Whittle Cast

The 100 Fan Fave Ricky Whittle Cast as Lead in Bryan Fuller's American Gods

Mr. Wednesday, meet your new bodyguard.

Ricky Whittle (The 100) has been cast as Shadow Moon, the lead character in Starz’s upcoming Bryan Fuller/Michael Green-led adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s novel American Gods, the network announced Thursday.

RELATED Black Sails Season 3 Exclusive: A Handy Character Guide to Starz’s Pirate Drama

In the wildly popular fantasy story, Shadow is a recently released convict who falls into a job as muscle/road-trip partner for a mysterious man — the aforementioned Mr. Wednesday. As the two men travel the United States, Shadow becomes aware that a war is imminent between the country’s old gods (think: ancient mythology) and its new ones (think: modern technology) — and that his part in the proceedings has been predestined.

In Gaiman’s book, Shadow is from the Midwest; a statement released by the author seems to indicate that Whittle, who hails from the United Kingdom, will use his native accent in the series.

“American Gods is, at its heart, a book about immigrants, and it seems perfectly appropriate that Shadow will, like so much else, be coming to America,” Gaiman said. “I’m delighted Ricky will get to embody Shadow. Now the fun starts.”

VIDEO Starz’s Outlander: Claire and Jamie Fight in That Scene from Season 2

Whittle currently plays Lincoln on The CW’s The 100; no word yet on how his role on that series will be affected by the American Gods gig. His other TV credits include MistressesNCISSingle Ladies and the British soap Hollyoaks.

American Gods readers, how do you feel about Whittle’s casting? The 100 fans, are you worried for Lincoln’s future? Sound off in the comments!

1. Crap, Lincoln’s dead, isn’t he? Or do we have another Debnam-Carey situation? But Whittle would be a regular on both, and AG is probably not six episodes, and Lincoln is totally dead, isn’t he? I don’t want Lincoln to be dead.

Either way, congrats to Whittle!

• Eva says:

Technically, it’s just one book, not a series (at least Shadow is not the protagonist of the continuation), so if they want more than one season, they would have to make them short. On the other hand, Fuller is one person capable of turning one book into three seasons and making it even better than the original…

• sawyer says:

maybe not. I just went to IMBD and he is listed in almost every episode.

• Isobel says:

apparently the 100 is in its last week of filming and american gods starts filming in April, so both shows could have worked out that he can do both

2. Liz says:

Ricky Whittle is super active on social media and hasn’t been filming in Vancouver in months. Lincoln is totally dead. Or kidnapped. But I’m pretty sure he’s dead.

3. spindae2 says:

Glad for Ricky, and doesn’t look good for Lincoln.

4. One says:

Part of me wanted Jason Momoa, let’s see how this guy does

5. Amy says:

Yay!!!! (A little sad if Lincoln bites it on The 100)

6. Eva says:

I’m so torn! This is a great casting choice, no doubt about that. But we can’t lose Lincoln! We’re totally gonna lose Lincoln, aren’t we? :(

7. LT says:

He’s a sexy beast!

8. O.K. says:

He definitely looks Norwegian so I’m good.

9. Karen says:

Oh no Lincoln

10. KayCeeCee says:

He was great in Mistresses

11. sawyer says:

uht oh. Lincolns character must be a major character being killed off. This would explain, Octavia beating the crap out of Bellamy. Wow did not see that coming at all. I was actually hoping for Jasper.

12. A fan of TV says:

Lincoln want supposed to be as integral to The 100 as he ended up being anyway, wasn’t he? I mean the show unabashedly telegraphed Jasper and Octavia as a romantic end-game, then Lincoln wound up being one of the most popular characters…so if wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he dies. Octavia and Jasper going through the grief of loss and bonding that way makes perfect sense, since Jasper needs saving somehow and if Lincoln dies, Octavia likely will, too, on some level.

13. pam says:

So long Lincoln. We hardly knew ya

14. Kevin W. says:

RIP Lincoln. Now I wonder what happens to Alexa…

15. tsevca says:

Sure, it has nothing to do with the fact that guys with British accent are popular with American women.

16. Dawniepants says:

I was a big fan of Pushing Daisies and Dead Like me, so when I saw a new Bryan Fuller show in the works with Hottie McGrounder as the lead, I got super excited… Until it hit me that this probably means our beloved Lincoln is a dead man. Nooooo!

17. belindamcbride says:

In the book, Shadow is part Native American. Wonder how that will play out?

18. patricia says:

I’m very. Very upset that lincon died in episode 9 it might have ruined the show for me. Lincon and Octavia were my favorite people and couple. I was hoping they would get to say I love you Ina better way and Octavia would have his baby.

19. Robby says:

“Whittle currently plays Lincoln on The CW’s The 100; no word yet on how his role on that series will be affected…”
    __________________

Uh…he’s dead. Killed-of in The 100. Executed, in the March 31, 2016 Ep as a rebel against TPTB, by a shot to the head, as he was kneeling.