Pretty Little Liars Spencer Caleb

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Friends With Benefits — Plus: 'A' Big Return

If last week’s Pretty Little Liars marked the official birth of “Spaleb,” then Tuesday’s episode could be considered its consummation.

I never expected Hanna to ask Spencer point-blank about her feelings for Caleb, but I was even more surprised at how quickly she gave the potential new couple her blessing. Something tells me she’ll end up kicking herself — and by “something,” I mean the promo for next week’s episode — but for now, can we just enjoy the delightful hotness that is Spencer and Caleb’s relationship whatever?

The build-up to that first kiss was… I mean, that hand-holding was just… Am I even writing complete sentences anymore? I still maintain that Hanna and Caleb’s relationship was one of the best this show has given us, but if it has to be over — or even if it’s just on hold for now — I see nothing wrong with celebrating “Spaleb.” They’re two like-minded, great-looking individuals who rode some pretty rough waves together. I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner, to be honest.

Elsewhere in Rosewood…

EZRA(GE) | Pretty Little Liars once again spun the Wheel of Potential Murderers™ on Tuesday’s episode, this time coming to a complete stop on Ezra. (Sorry, make that #AngryEzra.) I already assumed something was wrong with Aria’s ex when Ashley wouldn’t serve him alcohol at the Radley, but his security footage-related freakout against the girls is what sealed the deal in my mind. Did he kill Charlotte? I don’t think so. But is the show going to build him up to be the primary red herring until her true killer is revealed? That’s where I’m putting my money.

CONFESSION, PT. 2 | We learned a very important lesson this week, courtesy of the Hastings sisters: Being involved in politics and being good at politics are two very different things. After a botched meeting with a reporter — from the Hollis paper, mind you, not even an actual reporter — Melissa totally freaked out, certain that her taped confession about the night Alison went missing (like that’s still a thing) has fallen into the wrong hands. Honestly, though, can these girls just stop being on camera so much?

THE PRODIGAL HERMIE | I’m glad to hear Lucas is doing so well for himself — three houses and a Jaguar?! — but I have to wonder what his true purpose was in coming back to Rosewood for this week’s episode. Will the police eventually find out he helped craft Hanna’s lie? Is he being set up as a potential new “A”? This feels like Season 1 all over again, and I’m loving it.

Odds and Ends:

* Is Aria writing Ezra’s book for him? What a little liar! (Oh, right, the title.)

* Does anyone else think Emily is lying about donating her eggs?

* Also, I’m not sad that Sara messed up her hands. She doesn’t deserve hands.

OK, your turn: Did you enjoy Spencer and Caleb’s first kiss whatever? Are you pretty sure Ezra (or Sara or anyone else) killed Charlotte? Drop a comment with your latest thoughts below.

1. Andrea says:

Love Caleb and Spencer.

2. I have the exact same commentary about Spaleb. There aren’t very many coherent sentences, but I love them lots. (I just won’t think about the promo and potential Spoby awkwardness at my feet next episode).

3. Fran says:

How about some recognition for Kimberly McCullough for her directorial debut? Wonderful to see a new female director doing great things.

• Kate says:

LOL. Either you ARE that person or you’re a family member, and it’s genuinely sweet that you’re posting supportive stuff. Yay Kimberly, whoever you are! PLL’s direction is super consistent, though, so don’t expect a ton of notice when a new director gets a turn.

• Katie says:

She is a pretty big name for people who know soap operas. She is the girl who played a legacy character for 30 years on General Hospital and has left acting to focus on directing. She did a great job, and I hope she had continued success.

• Fran says:

Never met her Kate, sorry to disappoint. Simply supporting talented women behind the camera. The fact that you didn’t notice the difference, speaks to the quality of her work.

• kat says:

I saw it too and had to look it up. Some soap sites said it was in the works like a year ago. Honestly, I am just glad she isn’t on GH anymore (for now, obvs).

4. Rachel says:

The comment about Sara made me lol!

Caleb and spencer are hot! I fully condone this.

5. Sims says:

Caleb and Spencer are everything. So damn good.

6. nadialus says:

Unpopular opinion but the Spencer/Caleb scene made me cringe. Spencer has always been my favorite liar and I’ve always loved Caleb but them together feels wrong and is uncomfortable to watch. I’m really liking this season so far besides that though. It feels fresher and I enjoy looking forward to it every week now, when before it felt like a chore to keep up. I also think Hannah may be bumping Spencer out of my top fav spot.

• Shani says:

I agree! I can’t get behind Spaleb!

• Joann says:

I completely agree!

• NM says:

Disagree. It’s a new era. Possibly not for fans who didn’t get a five year jump like the characters. But it feels right moving towards this storyline.

• spu says:

I LOVE SPENCER AND CALEB! This needed to happen and I hope this doesnt break soon. Or at all. I mean highschool relationships never last. They’re moving on with other people which is a good storyline. And also I like Liam, he’s cute. But I felt like they didnt really need the text messages this season. I mean it’s pretty clear somebody’s out to get them and the text messages feel like highschool seasons all over again.

• Jem Baxter says:

Totally agree with you!!!

• Kate says:

I had to fast forward. I’m not a rabid “Haleb” fan or anything, but it feels super squicky to me. I don’t question the characters going there but I don’t want to watch it.

• BB says:

Yep that scene made me not only cringe but also made me feel betrayed some how!

• Josh says:

I don’t like them together either. I guess I’m one of the odd ones that hates friends hooking up with a ex of a friend it’s gross. And Caleb is Hannah’s period. Her relationship with the new guy won’t last.

• Beckers0505 says:

I agree. Caleb was Hannas first everything and they were so important to each other. I think it is so gross and wrong for Caled and Spencer to be together. Glad I’m not alone!!!

• Coconuts says:

The only reason I’m forcing myself to watch PLL is because I have to believe that haleb is end game. Spaleb made me puke. If they don’t end up together.. This show just died. I want to kill Hanna for giving Spencer the heads up! Ewww! She knows that she still has feelings for Caleb. Spencer could gave any guy… Why Caleb? Her ex boyfriends friend and her best friends ex boyfriend? Ewww ewww ewww

• feliciaamoore says:

Omg… Truthfully thought I was the only one! Everyone’s yeah spaleb which makes me want to yack! Talk about an uncomfortable scene. Total betrayal if you ask me(which I know nobody did). I’m just hooked now to see Hanna realize what a huge mistake she made and get her man back. #Haleb

• Taryn says:

Agreed!! I am NOT a Spencer and Caleb fan AT ALL!!! I know they’re all grown up now, but for us viewers it’s just hard to imagine their ages. Sure. They’re not filming in the halls of Rosewood High anymore, but they’ve ALWAYS dressed and acted older than they supposedly were, so, other than the sexier scenes and use of alcohol, not a lot has changed. I guess that’s why it’s so hard to accept the girls being with different mates! I’m thinking the Director understands this sentiment and before long things will be getting back to how they used to be so the fans will be happy. I’m sorry, but bffs don’t date each other’s exes!!!

• Coconuts says:

I literally couldn’t look at the screen when they kissed. It like watching a horror movie.

• Riss says:

same here!! I am not into “spaleb” It feels so awkward and she she still has way too much tension with toby for it to look natural when her and caeb are together! I feel like they are both forcing themselves to get over their ex’s with each other, its weird.

7. Me says:

Caleb and Spencer are forced, and gross, but I digress. The actress who plays Sara is laughable, and I have a feeling she’ll be offed soon anyhow. ;)

• miasims3 says:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SPENCER AND CALEB!!!! Okay, so at first, I was like “noooooooo” but actually, thinking about it, they’re perfect! Hanna, when they first got together, was the popular girl and he was the hot rebel and they just worked. But now, they aren’t in high school anymore and they have both matured and changed. I love Spencer, her and Aria will always be my favourites!!! So putting Caleb and Spencer together meant: 1) a new ship 2) no need to bring some stranger and start from the beginning of a relationship —– on a different note, the actress playing sara…. Urgghh! She annoys me so much!!!!!! She is monotone, annoying, and in the least bit scary…. Urggghhhh!!!

8. Maryam says:

Caleb and Spencer made me puke

9. Chelsea says:

Not for it at all you can tell Hanna still has feelings for him and really friends are not aloud to date others ex girl code Caleb and Hanna not Spenser

10. Cat says:

HAHA the Sara comment killed me.

11. Talisha Bryan-Knight says:

Yes like them together, Sara should have roasted. Dont think Ezra killed Charlotte, Lucas being back an willing to give Hannah an alibi is suspect. I think Emily is lying, she probably have cancer.

12. Nick says:

You know you have a drinking problem when Ashley Marrin has to cut you off.

• lauri5567 says:

ROFL
      So Aria thinks that Ezra’s books about her and she’s writing it for him. Then submitting it to her boyfriend, who doesn’t know she dated him. No way this could go wrong.
      Caleb and Spencer were hot!
      Last question, was the Hollis reporter the same guy who played Nick on Days of Our Lives? If so, PLL now has used 3 former Hortons.

• Shani says:

LMAO!!!!! Sooooooo true!

13. Ac says:

No No No! Make it stop now PLL writers! Hate it. #halebforever

14. Katie says:

Lucas coming back is suspicious, but I don’t know if I believe him *possibly* being Uber A. I almost feel like maybe Jason or Mr. D has snapped and might be the new threat. I do like a few of the theories I’ve seen online that Dr. Rollins is Uber A.

BTW, did we ever find out who sent Charlotte that framed picture? It was signed ” from A friend”, pretty sure we saw her unwrap it (from behind) a few episodes before we found out who A was

15. bree says:

Spencer is a hoe. Her sister even threw shade her way. She’s always sipping other people’s tea. #whataboutgirlcode?

16. Scott21 says:

I wonder who did the actress plays Sara slept with that she is still in the show despite she cant act (or talk like a human being)

17. Rt says:

I was skeptical about spaleb initially but that kiss OMG! Officially a shipper now!

18. SARAH says:

Hate Spencer and Caleb, its just wrong! Plus, they are supposed to be like 23, and I don’t know any 23 year olds that would be mature enough to be ok with their friend getting with their ex. Its just for drama, due to the time jump there was no real build up where we were able to see their relationship grow, this is a waste of time.

19. BB says:

Na… Can’t do it – Spencer and Caleb! I tried to watch 6×13 with an open mind of what might happen but couldn’t do it! Hanna and Caleb are meant to be together… Forget her totally hot fiancé. But this new ?relationship? Has given me something to look forward to since from the previews we know that Toby’s back in town! Wonder how he feels and with hanna staring at that pic of her and Caleb at the end? And Ezra didn’t kill Charlotte- Too Obvious- have not learnt nothing! But he does know something or he did something else.

20. hdub says:

The Spaleb thing is a breath of fresh air, regardless of how long it lasts. They both deserve to be super happy, and whilst I loved Spencer with Toby and Caleb was so good to Hanna, this storyline isn’t that far of a jump and Troian and Tyler have some wicked chemistry.

Lucas has always been shady, and I don’t think that’s going to change, but beyond that he’s always been infatuated with Hanna. I think he’s back because she is, and they’re setting up for a genuine bit of mutual interest – we always know Hanna’s ditched her values for a bit of cash or bling, and though her job might be well paying, it’s nothing compared to owning three houses and working in Palo Alto. Lucas in his element is one of my favourite characters, I was just thinking yesterday that I hoped he would come back.

21. brandydanforth81 says:

Hate spencer/Caleb-no chemistry &youNEVERdate your BFF s ex!Even Melissa said” you’re always shopping in other peoples carts” rotfl.

• Beckers0505 says:

And if I remember correctly weren’t Caleb and Toby good friends?! So won’t Toby be upset with Caleb too about Spencer?!

22. lina says:

I think it’s about time for Spencer and Caleb to get it on! Always have they had such great chemistry together. I dig it. I want to see hanna knock the boots with Lucas. Hanna and Caleb were cute but I’m pleased with the new pairing. I agree toasty hands sara is a bad actress. The way her face is always so pinched up in that same expression. Meh. Is she still in pain? Is she a robot? I’m not sure. Emily bores me. Nothing is different about her except her penchant for needles. Same boring hair every season. Same style of clothes. Get a haircut eyore. Woa is me. Aria and Ezra………..move on or get it on.

• Iina says:

Oh. And allison is boring too. A person doesn’t go from a manipulative lying game playing witch to boring betty. I don’t trust her. I think she is rotten and is still playing games. I think she’s been playing all along

23. Marie says:

I’m not gonna watch pretty little liars anymore, i hate them together, haleb forever. Spencer and caleb is so stupid, it has to stop
    THE SHOW IS RUINED

24. Theresa says:

I don’ like Caleb and Spencer together either. You don’t date one of my your best friends’s exes. Also, Caleb is friends with Toby so no good both ways.

25. Bree says:

Yes I thought spencer and chlb was good I can’t wait for next weeks episode

26. Terri says:

I don’t like them together, it just doesn’t seem right. Not sure I will be watching much more of this season.

27. Leyla says:

I want spoby, spoby was everything why did they do that cryy

28. Sarah says:

I am really digging Spencer and Caleb together. Definitely team Spaleb.

29. Me says:

Caleb and Spencer have SO much chemistry and this was a great way to explore it and move forward realistically. Sorry to burst the bubble but it would be ridiculous if they showed all their High School relationships lasting even after they for one have not even seen each other/talked to one another in years and have changed and matured over the years. Hannah and Caleb broke up years ago and IMHO she broke it off with Caleb and is now engaged. So don’t really know why people are so pissed at Caleb and Spencer being together. Their matured personalities and lifestyles fit more together than it would with either Toby or Hannah. I am team Spaleb all the way.

30. Helen says:

I’m surprised there’s not more talk about who the new “a” or whoever is. It’s interesting Spencer mentioned that reporter talking to.Mona, then the A stuff came back up

31. NICOLE says:

Kimberly McCullough is from General Hospital she has played Robin Scorpio off and on for most of her life. Yay Spaleb

32. Tawny says:

I feel so mixed about Spencer and Caleb.. I love the new romance but at the same time I feel so guilty about loving it! Poor #haleb! Definitely see a story developing between the three here.

That Sara chick I don’t care for as much, in fact I dislike her acting but that’s just me.

Lucas makes me suspicious about his return to Rosewood, especially his eagerness to help set an alibi. Either he just has a crush, or maybe he’s A?

I miss Mona, I hope she’ll be in the next episode!

33. Anna says:

I HATE SPALEB!!! if they are going to keep doing this then im going to stop watching pll, hanna and caleb are meant for eachother!!! #haleb Its not fair😠😠😠😠😠

34. Beckers0505 says:

Does anyone else miss Aria and Ezra together? I always enjoyed seeming them together when they were happy. I never felt like they had enough “happy” times in their relationship when they were younger.

35. KK says:

Spencer and Caleb were HOT. They’re my favorite part of this new season. I thought it happened a little too fast but I guess it’s okay. And some fans need to calm down. You can be a fan of both Haleb and Spaleb! It makes sense for things to get messy with friends as exes as the Liars get older. If we have to end with the original couples, at least make getting there interesting!

36. Erin says:

Spaleb ftw! Who knew I would ship it so hard?

37. Erica says:

Why does Spencer have to be with EVERY man on this show, seriously can they stop having her sleep around with every tom, dick and hairy? I love her and think she and Toby were really great together. It’s a bit weird, but I love Caleb, just glad he’s back on this show.

38. MattySi says:

I am loving Spencer and Caleb.

Does anyone else always feel like Lucas is gay until the moment he comes off as loving Hannah?

39. saoirse says:

Spencer and Caleb ? Seriously ? Not just a bit odd but eewwe.

40. kirstelz says:

This passing around of boyfriends is too childish for me, they aren’t in high school remember???
    If the show is leading in that direction, we can expect a soap opera soon.

41. Martina says:

Noooooooooo it’s the end of the world……… Haleb is gone!!!!!!!!!

42. naya says:

I hate Caleb/Spencer together! Out of every guy,she had to go for him??? I’m sorry but this twist is ridiculous and reminds me of a soapie. Can’t people ever be single in this show? especially Spencer? this isn’t B&B or DOOL so please stop turning this into that! it wasn’t enough that Spencer had a thing in the past with some of her sister’s bfs,she gotta have Caleb too? Who’s next? Ezra? Hell,next time they might even make her bi…this is complete rubbish!

I would have never minded if their history was different. and what bugs me the most is the way Spencer’s character,as strong as she is, has always needed a man all the bloody time.
    Does the couple look hot? Yes
    Does it fit into the storyline or make sense? Hell no

We don’t watch shows for hot couples only,otherwise I’d be team Aria/Caleb,Emily/Spencer,Hanna/Ezra,etc…but for the storylines as well…Sorry but Spaleb feels like an huge anomaly and is disgusting and mind you,I’m not a Haleb fan and even contemplated Spaleb at some point but coming from where the show is coming from…just no…

43. Vanessa says:

I hate Spencer Now, shes such a WHORE!!!!