Supergirl White Martian

Supergirl Recap: Mars Attacks

A few minutes into Monday’s Supergirl, Kara tells Cat, “Sometimes it’s easier to face the past with a little help.”

And, as most words of wisdom on the CBS drama tend to do, Kara’s statement ends up applying to both the A and B plots of the installment. In one corner, there’s Cat Grant, forced to confront (and potentially reconcile with) her estranged son, Adam Foster (played by Blake Jenner, Melissa Benoist’s former Glee co-star and real-life hubby). And in the other, there’s J’onn J’onzz, who is faced with the awful memories of his Green Martian species getting wiped out via genocide years ago.

Unsurprisingly, Kara solves both of these problems.

Let’s tackle J’onn first. As we learn throughout the hour, J’onn is the only remaining member of the Green Martian population. The rest — including his wife and daughters, sob! — were burned alive by an invasion of White Martians, one of whom has now come to Earth to kill J’onn and finish off the species once and for all. Masquerading as the anti-alien Senator Miranda Crane (Tawny Cypress, Unforgettable), the White Martian wreaks havoc at the DEO until it finally comes face-to-face with J’onn.

You might suspect that J’onn is champing at the bit to defeat the White Martian, but you’d be wrong. He confesses to both Kara and Alex that he’s tired of being the lone survivor, tired of living with the grief over his wife and children. In fact, he’s game to let the White Martian do her worst. Kara, of course, won’t let that happen, and when J’onn eventually battles the White Martian in the middle of the desert that night, Kara persuades the man to have a little dignity and fight the good fight. (And, because no one can resist the power of Kara’s perfectly curled tresses, J’onn listens. He decides to bring the White Martian back to the DEO and imprison it forever, despite the villain’s threats that even more of his species will be coming to Earth to seek vengeance soon enough.)

In comparison, Kara’s other Problem of the Day is much simpler: helping Cat make amends with her son. After receiving a sweet, apologetic letter from his mom — er, from Kara, who’s pretending to be his mom — Adam shows up in National City hoping to repair the relationship. Things quickly go south at dinner that night, though, when Cat refuses to talk about anything but her own accomplishments, and it’s up to Kara to masterfully mediate the situation. She gets Adam and Cat to sit down again, this time for coffee, and helps them through their awkward reunion — which, of course, goes much more smoothly the second time around. (Any mother/son conversation that ends with, “I missed you, too” and a few tears is considered a win in the world of Supergirl, right?)

Ultimately, it’s a banner day for Kara, who even gets asked out by Adam at the end of the episode, with Cat’s approval. (And all of us at home are secretly so happy that Winn isn’t sitting five feet away to have his heart shattered even more.) But when she’s at home that night, sharing ice cream with Alex, Kara spies a live news report that puts Supergirl at the scene of a car accident. Except… it’s not Supergirl. So who could it be?

What did you think of the latest Supergirl? Are you Team James, Team Winn or — after Monday’s episode — Team Adam? Hit the comments with all of your thoughts!

1. Phun says:

Two words right now: Awesome episode!

• Phun says:

Now that I’ve had time to soak up the episode…. It was an awesome episode with excellent performances from David and Calista and a great performance from Melissa. The fight scenes with WM and Supergirl were awesome along with MM, WM and Supergirl near the end. It was nice seeing MM’s heart breaking back story, reminicent of what happened in the holacaust. I even shed a tear! I just loved that he didn’t kill the WM at the end. The hug between Supergirl and HH and Danvers sisters eating ice cream was ‘icing’ on the cake for this episode!

2. jrex says:

I think Kara should call in the Justice League or a least her cousin to help deal with all these White Martians, not to mention all the Kryptonian criminals hanging around National City.

• Phoenix5634 says:

It’ll be all the Kryptonians versus a large number of White Martians. And I wouldn’t doubt they eventually introduce Green Lantern thru this show. Even all the Kryptonians would have a hell of a tough time fighting a thousand White Marian’s by themselves.

3. Maz says:

Team Adam! So happy to see Blake and Melissa together on screen again!

4. Luli says:

Finally someone mentioned that Cat calls Kara “Kira”! It’s been bugging me all season. At first I thought I was just mishearing her, and then I realized she actually calls her Kira most of the time.

One of my favorite episodes. The show keeps getting better with the episode. Cat and Kara have one of the best relationships on the show, I love them. And I’m glad the sister dynamic is still going strong.

After this episode, I’m team Adam!

5. Mr. Tran K says:

The most if not one of the most powerful episodes I’ve ever seen and the ending was mind blowing (prelude for next week’s episode).

6. Grace M says:

Well thanks Adam, I now know that I was hearing Cat call Kara, Kiera. I wasn’t sure until now, because I thought maybe it was the way Calista Flockhart was pronouncing it. Mystery solved.

7. DavidJ says:

Yeah that was definitely one of the strongest episodes yet. The Hank and Cat stories both managed to be surprisingly moving, the action and effects were some of the best we’ve seen on this show, and Benoist was somehow even more ridiculously charming and fun to watch than ever.

8. Shannon says:

Definitely team Adam. You can see their chemistry and he seems like a really great guy. This was an amazing episode all around. I was tearing up at the scene of Cat and Adam talking the second time and I loved seeing J’onn (we’re all calling him that instead of Hank now, right?) vulnerable. Also the end scene was a great cliffhanger for next week.

9. Polly says:

i’m astonished by calista flockhart every week.
    her character is so awesomely written and her performance is just wow.

10. lame says:

Surprised at how sentimental some of these characters stories are unfolding. Didn’t expect that from a comic book superhero show.
    I’m intrigued and I guess that’s a good things

11. Rafael says:

Blake Jenner looks maturely different in this show than in Glee last night.

There could be more of these killer aliens, like this one last night, coming to earth, so be prepared.

12. herman1959 says:

This show has definitely come into its own, despite the protestations of a few Debbie Downers. But, with a potential flood of white Martians coming, this might be a good time to call in Barry and The Flash gang, but I know we’re not there yet…crossover “difficulties”.

13. JDH says:

Can we just agree that Blake Jenner (along with the amazing Melissa Benoist) are so deserving of every bit of praise….

Glee didn’t deserve their talent for how little respect they gave the two of them in the end…

Also Jimmy who??? Team Adam. All the way. Hope Toyman doesn’t come back…

14. Joey Padron says:

Great episode. Good to see Blake and Melissa acting together again. Kat and John did great in episode. Can’t wait for the next episode!

15. Gerald says:

Team Finn. They have a real relationship built over years and before she was supergirl.
    And I found it highly unlikely that Cat would approve of them dating. No way she would let her personal life and business mix that way.
    I do find it disturbing that the White Martians still exist and are numerous. They are really evil and dangerous and if they came in any kind of force to earth there would not be enough Superfriends to stop them.

16. CC says:

Team Winn! I missed him on last nights epsisode.

17. Phoenix5634 says:

Its frustrating that with everything that happened this episode, tvline only has a “shipping” question lol like really..,Is that the only thing ya care about this episode ? … The show might as well just never the office then lol sad..

I’m team let’s focus on the actual show, the plot, and not the superheroes love life.

18. NYCER says:

It’s not SUPERGIRL without Jeremy Jordan. #TeamWinn FTW!

19. KayCeeCee says:

David Harewood was amazing as J’onn! Knocked it out of the park!!
    I hope that they bring back Tawny Cypress either as the White Martian or as Sen. Crane.