Reality Check: Did American Idol Flub Its Final Audition Ever? Plus: Heated Debate Over Week 3 Standouts!

Did you get misty-eyed over the last audition of American Idol‘s farewell season?

On this week’s Reality Check, my cohost and Idol vet Melinda Doolittle explains why the historic moment didn’t reduce her to a puddle of salty tears and soggy Kleenex — and points out what producers could’ve done to make the moment resonate more deeply.

It’s not all bad news, though, from the House Where Haley Reinhart Was Once Imprisoned. Melinda and I dish the “perfect” audition, and debate a long and disparate list of favorites from Week 3. Plus, we’ve got dating ideas for Ryan Seacrest and Jennifer Lopez!

Press PLAY above for the full discussion, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. jakis says:

Melinda Doolittle is a goddess and I agree with everything she said. Yes to Jessica and Poh and Avalon (who was very sweet and reminded me of Quinn on SCANDAL but will never be Carole King — PUH leez — there is only one Carole King EVER) and Joy Dove. Melinda knows all!

2. Puchinsmom says:

I agree with Melinda about Poh. I think she has a really good voice. She was one of my favorites from last week. Jessica, number one for sure though.
    I agree about Ryan as well! He’s been one of the best things about Idol. And having him from day one, and having stuck with it,AND being the only survivor! makes HIM the person who should be standing there when any lights go out. (And he can hug me anytime too! Even though I’m old enough to be his mother).

3. Melinda needs her own TV show, she is amazing to listen to……

4. Donna Perry says:

Yassssss @jessmeuse’s Rio Grande kicks some serious booootay!! \m/

5. Timmah says:

Great episode, you guys are in top form. And the clips were perfect too.

6. DarkDefender says:

That wasn’t Unchained Melody… That was an engine revving at a stock car meet. <– sums it up.

7. Cat says:

” a threat to melody” too funny – i will miss you guys when this show is over

8. Imagecrafters says:

Great Reality Check from both of you! Kudos to the editor who splices in the Dating Naked Comments. I had to watch this video twice. I agree with Melissa on this one!

9. Jo March says:

Why is Melissa in her bedroom? I don’t think that’s a good background for her. Just sayin’…

10. You snatched Adam Lasher’s ticket? Yo, you are gonna be really disappointed this season, lol.

11. Piers says:

The one silver lining about this being the last season for Idoloonies is never having to see another Haley Reinhart reference EVER!

• Ethan says:

Haley Reinhart is one of the best and most under-rated contestants we’ve seen on American Idol yet, and if you don’t like her then go take your negativity to some lesser-quality TV recap comments section.

• Piers says:

Apparently the rest of the world agrees with me, since she went nowhere ala Kris Allen.

• Hey Piers. She is a high paid commercial voice singer and believe it or not can make way way more money singing on ads then selling an album. “Can’t Help Falling In Love” by American Idol alum Haley Reinhart, it earned over seven million YouTube views and more than 78 million Facebook views (with over 1.1 million shares) within a week of its Oct. 8 digital release. The song alone sold 19,000 downloads in that time, debuting at No. 48 on Billboard’s Digital Songs chart. And that was before it hit primetime television Oct. 19. That is fact! that is why most acts sell their songs to commercials even why they are still in the top 40. SO Miss Hailey is still working when 95 percent of idol is NOT. BOOM i just dropped my mike.

• HTGR says:

Oh and yeah her latest youtube video has…. oh you know only SIXTEEN MILLION hits.

• HTGR says:

Randy? Randy? Is that you dawg??? Back to the pound!

12. darcy's evil twin says:

I did not care for Poh. That nasaly voice was really annoying!

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I must not have heard her sing. Her pretentious name gave me a seizure which rendered me unable to hear her sing. I love Jessica Cabral’s voice. Where are the hot men? No Phillip Phillips or Matt Giraud? Must be CJ Johnson for this season, then.

13. ColetteLushFan says:

Listen to the Etta James cover by Colette Lush… Any of her covers.. At the rare chance any Idol producers see this… What’s up?! The girl is probably the best singer hands down in the competition.. When she sings and emotes effortlessly hitting notes with her rich soulful voice; I can feel it.. Not just hear it..

14. I predict Trent for the win and Tristan of the runner up! and the both of the red head girls 3rd and 4th and Mannie for 5th place. This year the girls are stronger than the boys.

15. Marilyn bush says:

Melinda is right on. Hope melinda will appear in AI Final season?

16. HTGR says:

I’m with Melinda on Poh. Although it is true there is only one true Poe.
    And more with Melinda than Michael on Joy too.
    Yeah Emilie is one to watch.