Lucifer Poster Fox

Fox's Lucifer: How the Hell Was It?

If you had a single shred of doubt that Fox’s Lucifer is indeed about the Devil himself, not to worry: Monday’s series premiere runneth over with religious jokes and hellish puns.

Take, for example, Det. Chloe Dancer’s reaction when she’s introduced to Lucifer Morningstar: “Is that a stage name or something?,” to which the titular Lord of Hell replies, “God-given, I’m afraid.” (Ba-dum-chh.)

His license plate reads FALLIN1. Any reference to God elicits the response, “Wrong deity, but…” Plus, when he looks in the mirror, a grotesque red face is staring back at him. So, yes, Lucifer is definitely about that Devil.

But Fox’s new comic-book drama is more than just winks and nods to the Bible. It’s also the story of how Lucifer (Tom Ellis, Rush) abandoned his throne in Hell to assist the LAPD with solving crimes. (Essentially, he doesn’t feel like obeying his dad’s wishes and returning to the Underworld for all eternity, so he’s content to manage a Los Angeles club until he’s banished back to you-know-where.)

When his friend Delilah is gunned down by a drug dealer, Lucifer takes it upon himself to investigate her death — a rather easy task, considering he can get people to utter their deepest secrets and most hidden desires just by asking them to do so. Along the way, he encounters Det. Dancer (Lauren German, Chicago Fire), who is expectedly skeptical of his immortality and persuasive skills (which, curiously, don’t seem to work on her).

Much to Chloe’s chagrin, she and Lucifer end up working the case together, and of course he’s better at getting answers from the criminals and suspects than she is. Not only do they find and kill the man responsible for Delilah’s death, but Lucifer finds himself drawn to Chloe — ensuring, of course, that they’ll work together again in the future. (Like, say, next Monday at 9 pm.)

What did you think of Lucifer‘s series premiere? Grade the episode via our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. it doesn’t hurt he is really easy on the eyes.

2. Loved the first episode so far. Great banter, charismatic lead character, interesting premise, built in potential romance with a cop (immune to his charms, always nice), the disdain for kids while the kid takes a shine to him… good larger plot about the bigger story to force Lucifer back. All good. I’ll b back next week.

3. Rob Horine says:

For being the Serpent, this was a good episode. I hope it follows the comic book.

4. Alichat says:

I rather enjoyed the episode. His banter was humorous, and Ellis does know how to ooze charm. I gave the show an early brownie point for using Bowie’s ‘Fame’. I’ll give it a few more viewings and see how it goes.

5. ? says:

As a big fan of the comic series, I went into this wanting to hate it, and didn’t. Yeah, it’s a terrible treatment of the source material, but the show was actually pretty fun anyway. I mean, Fox at least doesn’t have a bad show on their hands here. iZombie is a pretty terrible adaptation of the source material too (which was a GREAT comic series), and it’s also a really fun show regardless. So, yeah. Since it wasn’t bad I can enjoy it for what it is. I’m in.

• Temperance says:

They’ve said that it really won’t follow the comic… it was a conceptual jumping off point and will be different.

• Which is good because the art played such a vital part in the comic that any attempt to copy that and didn’t nail it would be disappointing!

• John says:

Agreed ! They wouldn’t be able to replicate the realms lucifer could visit in the tv show. Just as his comic book powers won’t be anywhere near fully utilsed. Don’t you think?

6. Doug says:

Who is the actor that played Delilah’s ex, Jimmy?

7. A. D. says:

Loved it!!!!!

8. Ram510 says:

I liked it and will keep watching. However I’m getting more and more annoyed that network tv feels the need to add procedure elements to every show. irs not needed for every show

9. Tammy says:

Was excited about the premise, but then disappointed to see it was just another cop show. And surely the devil has more powers than just getting people to tell their deepest desires. Thought the acting was good, but the writing could have been more imaginative.

10. Terry says:

Lots of humor….best new show this season in my opinion.

11. Haley N. says:

They couldn’t have cast this show any better! Wow!

12. Larc says:

I enjoyed tonight’s show, but afraid its premise is likely to get old very fast.

• KCC says:

Agreed, but that’s true for most weekly TV series. The God/Devil puns and references will get old pretty fast. It’s all down to liking the characters and how inventive they get with the stories. It looks like their setting up a romance between the leads, but I don’t see how that will work unless they give Lucifer a way to become human as an on-going, series long storyline.

13. Lauren says:

Any changes from the leaked pilot? Should I rewatch it or is it the same episode?

• Sarah says:

No changes that I noticed, it was the same episode.

• iceblast says:

The scene at the hospital was changed, in the leaked version, her ex-husband came into the room with their daughter, and there was some dialog between Lucifer and the Ex, in the official pilot though, the Ex-Husband isn’t there at all.

I don’t know, I think the original Ex was a bit better though, at least for that episode anyway.

Love this series though, can’t wait for the next episode.

• Wordsmith says:

They’ve changed the detective Chloe’s last name and recast her ex-husband/fellow detective. That was all I noticed, but there may have been more.

14. liame says:

I hope this get’s better because I do enjoy Ellis and Brandt. The first case was blah.

15. Vicky Carson says:

Surprisingly entertaining. Made it on my auto DVR list.

16. One of the best pilots this season with Tom Ellis finally getting a lead role that is worthy of his charm and wicked acting talents!

17. Ram510 says:

I hope this show embraces more of the imaginative and supernatural elements of the show kind of like Fringe or what Forever should’ve done and not be so focused on police work. Because that was the weakest point of the show. It has a lot of potential, let’s see if Fox ruins this one like they did Sleepy Hollow

18. awaywithpixie says:

It freaked out this Aussie that the guy’s name was Jimmy Barnes. I was thinking of a very different Jimmy Barnes from the entertainment industry! But I did love it!

• Mike M says:

And this Kiwi – simply could not ignore it – that name is legendary in the southern hemisphere. Good pilot (both versions). Still sad that Rush was cancelled – these are actually very similar platforms for Ellis, yet somehow though about the devil, Rush actually had a layer darker aspect to it (so far anyway). He’s very good at that though (characters with the subtle dark under the veneer of bright) so it’s quite inspired casting to fire him back into something that fits him so well. Hopefully this one will stick.

19. Bark Star says:

Amusing but not dark enough. Ellis is fantastic though.

20. Imzadi says:

I like D.B. Woodside, but I thought he was just a little over the top. And Chloe DANCER (I guess a reference to both her movie career and one letter away from Danger–a good name for a cop!). But it was very enjoyable and I will be back. Rachel Harris was one of the highlights of the show, just as she was on Suits. More of her, please. Much more!

21. CA says:

I am not familiar with the comic series….but is Chloe as unlikable in print as she is in the show? Or it is the actress? I know having kick-ass female characters is all the rage but she is so off-putting that I wanted to fast forward every time she was on the screen.

22. I loved it. So that means it will be cancelled after 5 or 6 episodes because that is the way it usually works.

23. Lynn says:

I really enjoyed it and think they captured the feel of the comics without being redundant. Ellis is fantastic in the role as he is in all his roles except watching it I kept wishing he was still playing Hood on OUAT.

24. Joey Padron says:

Like first episode a lot, it was good, fun, and have some good humor. Tom is great as Lucifer. I’ll keep watching the show.

25. DL says:

Went in with low expectations, found it really enjoyable. Tom Ellis is utterly riveting to watch, and I also think Lauren German does a decent job and has good chemistry with him (though I found myself frequently distracted by her Botox-smooth forehead — why, girl, why?). I’ll definitely be tuning in next week.

26. Gerald says:

It really bothers me that an Angel (presumably sent by God to get Lucifer to go back to hell) says how much he Hates Lucifer. God is Love and his angel should be an extension of that love. Makes me believe that the true bad guy will be the rogue angel.

27. katedfw says:

Same premise as Sleepy Hollow! Good looking mysterious English man working with local cops to solve crimes. Even directed by Len Wiseman who made SH. Not much of a stretch, concept wise. I found it rather boring. So no season pass for me.

28. Mullagen says:

It was a very good episode maybe the next one will be on point to

29. I liked it but the show totally reminded me of Tom Ellis’ other show Rush. At first I was like hey isn’t that the same car LOL.

30. Alaia says:

I had no plans to watch this and ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

31. Its fun – mostly Tom Ellis. Best part was his interaction with Trixie. Love it

32. Rachael says:

I enjoyed the episode and premise. I hope the crimes he works on in the future involve escaped souls from the underworld to better tie in Lucifer’s professional life with his personal life and history.

• Anna Garcia says:

Good point! And I think they will. Bc remember his angel bro in the bar hinted at just that! “What do you think will happen to all those demons and tortured souls?” Of course Lucifer shrugs it off, but it would pretty stupid of the writers to put that in there then just never pick it up again lol Even Fox can’t be that daft. I look forward to it digging deeper, hopefully in a Supernatural (CW) type of way. Where if you think of the beginning, who the hell knew it’d still be here ELEVEN seasons later having explored just about every myth, monster, or religious being of every belief system since the literal beginning of time. Now even I’m not optimistic enough to see it following those footsteps, but IF the writers are creative enough, the universal possibilities rich content are never ending. Keeping my fingers crossed!

33. Michelle says:

I think it’s a pretty good show…and knowing Fox, watch them screw it up after a season…

34. Terri says:

I absolutely LOVED the show! Yes, he is definitely hot but I just found it an overall entertaining show and one that doesn’t require much thought on my end. Can’t wait for next week already!

35. Qc, CDN says:

Loved it! It’s not only original but also funny!

36. I think it was wonderful. I love Tom Ellis… Loved him in Rush…… Love him in Lucifer. Will watch next week for sure!!!!!!!!!

37. I loved Lucifer. The character ( perfectly cast )has the perfect mix of evil, humor, and charm, and not to be missed that hint of humanity. Loved that humans might be having a effect on him. Nicely written. I found this show so much fun to watch.

38. joann says:

excellent new show about time.. way to go tom….e..
    very handsome..and very funny lines… to match.. his sexy English accent.. had me chuckling
    and watched over several times on free on demand..tho I had seen eve before..
    keep it coming… not enough good show like this on the tube….

39. Anna Garcia says:

I’m so obsessed. I was obsessed within the first, say 45 seconds? And I’m extremely suspicious and untrusting of new shows. Like people, they just don’t make em like they used to. I enjoyed seeing Shay of Chicago PD rise from the dead, as did Miss Vicki Donovan of TVD and Jesus from True Blood. And although most know him from other things, that beautiful angel Amenadiel? He will always be the sexiest school principal in history to me. I’m of course referring to Mr. Robin Woods of the final season of Buffy. Though the role was short, the backstory was deep, the fight scenes were hot and like all the rest of them, he was gone all too soon. Interesting to see so many of my favorite dead characters rise again on a show about the devil. Hmm. Juxtaposition. Gotta love it. Anyway even with all these great actors and interesting characters they play, Tom Ellis is what sets this show ablaze. So seductive. And it’s not the accent. (Which is so on the nose.) Of course the devil has a British accent. LOL But I don’t even mind it! It’s perfect. He purrrrrrs with each and every line he gives and the camera reaches miles into his eyes. He’s quirky, hilarious, obviously arrogant and dripping with sex. (Seriously I’m Latina & in my prime, I could get pregnant just watching him!) But then he becomes awkwardly human when met with a beautiful woman who seems to be immune to his “charms” as he put it. Alright FOX I’ll take the bait. WHY??? Really though I can sense when a show is gonna get the ax before it even premieres. Truly, it’s a gift with a better success rate than condoms. (Why can’t I stop thinking about sex?!) But with this I’m far too biased to know if it’s my gut or my “carnal fascination” talking. I’m on the fence about whether it’ll stay or go. I’ll keep watching till the wheels fall off either way, but I’ll tell you one thing, I pray to Tom Ellis it stays!

40. Cyrus Roiz says:

I really enjoyed this show. Does everything with the devil really need to be Sooo serious. I think this is a great spin on things. The guy who plays Lucifer delivers some great lines. I damn near fell off the bed laughing. Perfect comedic timing! this is the funniest politically incorrect show since “crazy **** my dad says!

41. debbie says:

I fell in love with this show the first time i saw it

42. Greeneyes says:

Awesome show man I so loved it! Right amount of chemistry, mystery, murder, hot leads and a cute baby. What’s not to love!