Grey's Anatomy Video: Meredith's Attacker Revealed — Plus, We Need To Talk About That Alex Kiss

We now know how and by whom Meredith is attacked on Grey’s Anatomy. We also know who will be by her side in the harrowing incident’s aftermath.

In a fresh promo touting the ABC drama’s Feb. 11 midseason premiere, we learn that Meredith is physically assaulted by one of her patients and Penny (aka Derek’s killer) is the first to call for help. Widespread panic and pandemonium give way to an eerie silence as we’re led to believe Mer is knocking at death’s door.

The frame that packs the biggest punch? Alex planting a kiss on Mer’s forehead.

“It is as terrifying and as shocking as you would expect for it to be,” Kelly McCreary, who plays Mer’s half-sister Maggie, recently previewed of the Denzel Washington-directed epiosode. “Get ready to have your guts feel like they’re coming out of you, because it is truly harrowing.”

1. Walter Freeman says:

*yawns*

• Li says:

So tired of Meredith almost dying every two seconds. And I’m also tired of the writing for Alex who is basically only a prop anymore and only gets screentime when Meredith needs support. And before anyone starts thinking that he and Meredith will be together: Shonda Rhimes called them brother and sister and that’s what they’ve been for 12 seasons. If you need proof, watch the episode. Meredith almost dying on him should be a wake up call if he has any sort of romantic feelings for her. Which he does not. I’m sure Meredith will get with the new doctor who’s related to Owen and Alex will marry Jo. But instead of focusing on the love story between Alex and Jo the writers are neglecting them just to make Alex the perfect friend. So tell me Shonda Rhimes, wasn’t Meredith/Cristina the real love story of the show? Why are you trying to overshadow them?

• Sims says:

Because Sandra Oh and wanted to leave and recasting Christina would have been the dumbest decision ever. I prefer Alex and Meredith over 45 minutes of watching Ellen Pompeo speak into a mobile phone.

• Jamie says:

Holla!
          I find it quite ridiculous though that so many fans can’t seem to wrap their head around the fact that friendships ebb and flow – they VERY rarely stay the same forever. The person I would call my best friend now is not the same person that was my best friend 5 years ago, and most of that has to do with geography and lifestyle changes. I am still very close with that friend, but she lives 3,000 miles away and has a kid now. She and I obviously can’t have the same relationship that we used to have. While some people retain the same best friend their whole life, others don’t, and that’s okay! Just because there is someone new that you can call your best friend/partner in crime doesn’t mean that friendship has to overshadow others.

• Lerbert says:

X 2

I’m all for the inherent soapiness of the show but can we spread the physical peril around?

• Walter Freeman says:

Exactly. It’d be nice to watch Meredith serve as a wise, older woman who’s been through more than her fair share of tragedy, and counsel younger staff members as they go through their own assortment of repetitive near death experiences. Suspension of reality is one thing, but Meredith nearly dying year after year for more than a decade is something else.

2. Bella says:

It’s ridiculous how many times Meredith has been placed in jeopardy over the years.

3. Monica4185 says:

Meredith is knocking on death’s door again? How many times can character have avnear death experience before death takes them for reals?

• thisismenow says:

If she actually were to die and they stood by it. I would actually have mad respect for Shondra Rhimes. She’s one of the biggest trolls of all time and I would actually applaud her over the move. But Meredith will flatline, be shocked at the last minute, then will act like nothing happened the following week.

• In search of a happy ending says:

Maybe she will visit with Derek or her sister for a pep-talk :)

• Lulu says:

Maybe she’s a cat and has 9 lives..

• LizzyC says:

It’s Kelly Taylor from 90210 all over again! The girl was stalked, raped, then shoots her rapist, burned in a fire, sucked into a cult, had an abusive boyfriend, got addicted to cocaine, got pregnant and had a miscarriage, abused diet pills, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few. I guess when a show runs for as long as these, they have to keep it interesting! But yeah, they should definitely spread some of the near-death experiences around to other cast members!

4. JCPrime says:

Whatever. This episode will be a horrible waste of time.

5. Alaia says:

I didn’t even think death’s door. My first thought was deaf. Either way, Meredith sure has been in danger a whole lot!

• Grace says:

That was my thought, too–that she’s going to lose her hearing from this, either temporarily or permanently. She has been in danger a lot and maybe it would have been better for this storyline to have been given to another character. But she is the lead character so maybe they just want to give her something other than being a widow and training new interns (something we’ve seen a lot of on the show). I understand the complaints but I think the show has been really good this year, and I’m curious to see how this will play out.

6. shaun says:

Do they even have security in that Hospital?

• jaa says:

Best comment in the history of comments. I love all things Shonda, but seriously, can we get Meredith some security, some peace and a new boo please!

• Johnny says:

OMG! LOL!! I mean.. I legit laughed out loud. Seriously. How does this KEEP happening. LOL. I can’t stop. You are my king. Thank you. I needed a good laugh after watching that promo.

7. Luli says:

Yes!! i’m all for the Merlex scenes that this attack will bring! Can’t wait for the ep.

8. Andy says:

Honest to God, did you talk about every moment that Cristina and Meredith shared? It’s not like we’re seeing Alex kiss her on the lips. What Shonda is trying to do is show that Alex as a guy can take over Cristina’s part as Meredith’s person and for the two of them to still only be what Cristina and Meredith were, friends. But of course because Alex is a guy you have to read more into it. It’s not like he has a girlfriend to whom he has proposed just last episode while professing his love for her, it’s not like Meredith hasn’t even given us the tiniest bit of indication that she sees Alex as anything else than a brother. It’s 2016 and male/female friendships exist. Accept that.

• Alaia says:

I love how their relationship has evolved. You couldn’t *really* call them friends in the early days, but I love how they’ve grown closer over the years.

• busta950 says:

Absolutely agree with you. Alex became a Christina for Meredith. She has called him her brother on so many occasions from all the earlier series. He has always maintained and we no never any sexual overtones between the two. He is now there for her even more he has seen her through the 12 seasons. Remember when the passed the boards after the plane crash after Christina went when he was at the Airport and turned around for her and all there friendship. The kiss was on the forehead and definately as a brother nothing else. I do not no why everyone is reading more into it. Please note who is on the sidelines well well Amelia. Sorry my view she really is enough let her go back to NY

• Rebecca says:

I actually rewound the promo to that shot and was squealing over it- not because of a possible romance angle (I really hope the show never goes there) but because I love their friendship and how much it has evolved especially since Christina left. They’re my favorite pairing on the show and I love that they’ve been there since the beginning- him being there after she was attacked like that seems totally appropriate.

• EllenAce says:

Well said! Since Christina has gone, Alex has filled that void respectfully, as he is part of the original core character team, stepping up to become–Mer’s “Person!” It’s a terrifying, heart wrenching scene, as her attacker looks mega strong and unstoppable!

9. Fernanda says:

a rape situation as Charlotte’s Private Practice or just physical violence?

10. Mak says:

With the number of times Mer’s almost died on this series…odds are she should have also won the lottery by now.

• Lex Lawson says:

She kinda did when the plane crashed & she & the others on board got a payout of how many tens or hundreds of millions of dollars?? Thats almost like winning the lottery. Sure its a bad experience but she still ended up inherently wealthy out of it.

11. cej says:

Sorta like when a patient attacked Lucy and Carter on ER.

• Alaia says:

All these years later and I still remember that moment vividly. Grey’s has had some memorable moments (George’s death), but I have the feeling this won’t pack as big a punch as Lucy.

• Dax says:

George’s death was also something of an ‘homage’ to a memorable ER scene, that of Dr. Gant’s suicide-by-train death… They did the same ‘Where’s ____?’ and the ringing phone/pager goes off in the patient’s pocket…

• rantonio says:

AH. Any time I see David Krumholtz, I immediately flash back to that episode.

12. EM says:

Well I’m glad its not Owen whom I suspected in a PTSD moment. Sorry but Penny needs to just go. She has done nothing but inflict pain and adds nothing to the cast. Meredith and Alex have a dark and twisted past from their childhoods to their intern days and are the twisted siblings.

13. Wooster182 says:

I feel like we’ve been headed towards an Alex/Mer relationship for a long time and I hope we are. They are the last of the OG. They were the darkest and twistiest of everyone and they’ve come such a long way to becoming loving, trusting people. I’d rather see them together than with 2 newbies.

14. Marissa says:

This time it’s different . Meredith can’t run or repress her feelings . Like the other traumas she has had . This is like Meredith rebirth and I like Merlex friendship . Stop complaining . It’s sad Mer gets hurt but she is the lead character .

15. Gillian says:

If you pause the trailer on the moment where Alex is kissing Merideth on the head (0.16), Merideth looks like shes cracking a smile which makes me think once again, everything will be fine, she’ll recover and go back to work and wait for the next dangerous thing to come her way!!

16. Tony says:

I’m looking forward to it. Sure it’s the umpteenth time Meredith has been in mortal peril. But I guess with my being a huge daytime soap fan, I’m used to characters being in repetitive situations.

I do think this article is overblowing that moment between Alex and Mer. It’s really nothing unexpected. I am, however, torn over the idea (or continued speculation) of these two ending up together. I mean, I enjoy their relationship the way it is. But there is something intriguing and unexpected about the idea of these two ending up together. They are the last of the original 5. It would make sense in a way seeing as they are probably the two who know the most about one another left on the show.

17. Tabitha Morse says:

I seriously can’t wait for greys to come back on!! My only issue is this season I have not seen Meredith and Dereks children. Not even once!!! Where are they???

18. Erin says:

I literally hyperventilated while watching this video. #GreysIsLife

19. bigdede says:

My only takeaway from this is why is Penny still around? What is her purpose? There is no need for her. I hope this questions her decision to be a doctor and she quits.

20. Deb says:

Im sorry im tired of her almost dying its old. And i honestly dont care for the show that much with yang

21. JK says:

I’m looking forward to Grey’s coming back. As I read the comments, criticizing Mer being in peril again I wondered what this episode would be like if it was Alex who was hurt stop. Who would he lean on: Jo or Meredith?

22. Eran says:

What in the world is there to talk about??? This could just as well have been my sister and I when she was in hospital with severe pneumonia and I sat there at her bedside, extremely worried, holding her hand and wait for it… cover your eyes…hide your children…kissed her forehead!

These two ARE about as close to siblings as they ever will be. Stop. Please, stop trying to make anything out of it that it isn’t, and mustn’t ever be.

23. Dominique says:

i stand by my opinion that alex and mer should be together. it feels so organic and right at this point, i don’t know why they wouldn’t go there.

• Natalie says:

I could go for Alex/Mer over Alex and Jo. She has become the worst! She’s such a whiny @$@&$)&@@&. And I don’t see any chemistry between Mer and the new guy. So… Put Magiie w/ the new guy. Maggie’s pet with Jo and Mer and Alex together. Then cancel the show :)

24. nobody says:

Alex/Jo. He loves Jo as his wife and Mer as his sister. Go back to the beginning of the series and you’ll see that brother and sister is all Merlex will ever be. And I was only 7 when greys came out and I only started watching from the last two eps of s6. But now that ive started watching them all again I can see that they’ll only ever be siblings. Alex is going to marry Jo.

25. abby says:

I don’t even watch Grey’s anymore but I keep up a bit through recaps and I dunno, I’m kinda feeling like mer/alex endgame makes sense. Who would have ever thought! But if they right it well, it’ll work and feel right. What about that blind item from awhile back, isn’t an izzy/alex baby going to show up? I can totally see them raising all the kids together and legit falling in love. Friendship can turn to love!

26. LaTisha says:

Well think about the name of the show it is about her life Grey’s Anatomy her last name is grey

27. Leah says:

I can’t wait for this episode.. who cares if it’s something else happening to Meredith. This is a drama show, she’s the lead character, so of course most stuff will happen to her, and it’s good material for Ellen Pompeo to play. She’s been more amazing than ever this season, like the dinner episode.

I’m all for the Meredith and Alex scenes. Ellen and Justin have great chemistry together.

• Victoria says:

Exactly! Mer is the main character and as much as times as she’s gotten hurt it’s so interesting, dramatic, and exiting. Alex and Mer have the cutest relationship.

28. Julie says:

Meredith and Alex make absolute sense at this point. They have come to care so deeply about each other it’s only comfortable for them to move on from everything together. She’s lost the love of her life, and Alex lost his in Izzy (Jo is the biggest waste of an intern/resident they’ve given lines to on this show; not a comment on the actress, just the character they’ve written for her.) It would probably be one of the more realistic relationships the show would ever have. The people you are closest to turn out to be the ones you can’t live without, and sometimes it takes YEARS and major tragedies for close friends like this to get together. Will I be heartbroken if it doesn’t happen? Not at all, but putting Mer with someone new just for the sake of getting new men in a cast that truly lacks enough men who can carry major arcs seems cheap and wrong. If ANYONE was her “brother” only, it was George, as proven in all 5 seasons he was in.

29. Sara says:

I really can’t imagine Alex crying like that over Jo, I really can’t. I think a break up for Jolex is coming. Especially when she sees him so emotional like that over Meredith, and he doesn’t show any emotion or seem to care about her.

So excited for this episode!

30. liame says:

Can’t wait. Hopefully the complaining jane’s/john’s will move on and watch something more to their liking. Grey’s 2016 Yeah Baby, bring it!

31. Jennifer says:

i’m really sick of meredith getting attacked / hurt / mortal danger. And the patient attacking a doctor was done. In ER. And probably better.

32. aph1976 says:

I agree that there’s only so many times that Meredith can be in danger before it gets tedious because she’s not going to die.As for Alex, i think him kissing Meredith on the forehead was just his way of expressing how much he cared for her in actions and not just words.Plus maybe almost losing Meredith causes Alex to speed things up with Jo.As for Meredith, her been attacked by a patient could change her going forward

33. Krissteen says:

She gets her head banged up pretty bad! I think that’s going to trigger her Alzheimer’s. BANG welcome back Christina!

34. I love Greys Anatomy and I love Shonda Rhymes. I’ve loved it from the very beginning, no matter how many times Mer has a near death experience. If you don’t like it, nobody is forcing you to watch!😄

35. Cat says:

I was out of the country and didn’t pick-up on Grey’s Anatomy until it was on Netflix. I think the writing, directing and acting are superb. I was happy to read here that it’s either won or has been nominated for many awards. Please keep it going and going.

36. Jenn says:

I love that it’s Mer getting attacked. She’s my fave on the show, and I’d rather watch her go through it then one of the newer doctors. I would’ve been fine if it was Bailey, Callie, or Arizona, but no one else. I don’t care how many times it happens. This is a nighttime soap. It’s what it’s about. As for Alex and Mer…lol. I can dream. I think now is a perfect time for them to realize they mean more to one another than just BFFs. If they stay BFFs though, I’m fine with that too. They are the best couple on the show now. No matter what the dynamics. I also hope that Jo falls into a flaming pit of tar, and none of the doctors can rescue her. Hate that selfish, violent girl.

37. I really hope Dr Carter survives, but I think Lucy might be dead.

• Jennifer says:

Ha Ha. Between this and the recent Code Black episodes, I’m getting serious ER flashbacks. Who’s going to end up addicted to what now?