Exclusive

American Idol Sneak Peek: How Big a Threat Is Stephany Negrete?

Has American Idol found its bookend to Season 1 winner Kelly Clarkson?

That’s been the question looming over the Fox reality competition’s farewell season — and it seems especially pertinent as judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr. listen to Stephany Negrete’s audition to the Jackson 5’s “Who’s Lovin’ You?” (airing Thursday at 8/7c).

No doubt, Stephany’s got vocal horsepower, impressive control and a winning personality — but is she a legitimate threat for the final confetti shower in Idol history?

Press PLAY above on our exclusive sneak-peek video, then share your thoughts on whether Stephany is a shoo-in for the Top 12!

1. Lloyd says:

Is she a legitimate threat? Probably not, because girls don’t win Idol anymore (except when the season is stacked in their favor, like in season 12).

• S. says:

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with her being a girl. I think there are better ones this season and actually I might even predict a girl wins. There’s some special ones in there. It doesn’t seem like she’s a threat unless it’s American Idol, Season 15: Power Ballads. Even then I think she could be outsung.

• Jillette Razer says:

AI wants a girl as its final winner.

2. Larc says:

Good voice, but she grossly overdoes the runs, IMO.

3. Kelby Jackson says:

No she is Pia 2.0

4. jakis says:

It’s all runs and no connection to the song. That’s what Xtina and other runaholics do, but it sure isn’t what I want to listen to.

5. marie says:

Nah. Old hat. Me, I’d rather listen to Trent Harmon – much more current and way more interesting, imo.

6. Puchinsmom says:

That was painful and boring to wait through. She wasn’t singing a song, she was showing off. Plenty of others so far that I liked a lot more.

7. Betty Baker says:

Forget about the runs that everyone seems to be talking about…Are we just gonna gloss over the fact that she ended a full key lower than she began? Threat? Sorry…no.

8. TK says:

I think there is control and there is stretching the songs out so much that it becomes sort of unbearable. There is a reason why people don’t write songs with that kind of drawn out tempo. I’m looking at you also Olivia Rox.

9. Baby ruth wilson says:

Olivia, Jenna, Emily, Tristan all overpower her sissy girl voice

10. Tommyo2000 says:

Yeah but did you look at those legz …

11. Jim says:

I’ve enjoyed AI, artificial intelligence, sometimes it seems like Harry has ai. He is so much like me, especially last season and so far this season. I love the three judges more than any other team. They are like family and are hilarious, especially Harry since he loosened up. I’m going to miss this “Dream Team” I have numerous health problems including nonstop pain and depression, so I really look forward to Wednesday’s and Thursday’s. I can loose my self with the talent and K, J, and H letting us really get to know them and I feel like we’re friends. I know that sounds weird. I mean, how can we be friends when they haven’t a clue I exist. They are three beautiful compassionate people that I could see us hanging out like we’ve been for a long time. Especially Keith and Harry. I just think they seem to be authentic great human beings. Well if Harry’s intelligence is artificial maybe he’s not human? Ha, Ha

12. Aislinn says:

She has a good voice, but she wasn’t even in the same room as the melody of that song. She was singing random notes clearly, changing keys in between breaths…no, just no.