Flash Patty Leaves

The Flash Recap: Slow Blow — Plus: What's Jay Hiding? And Who's Back?

This Tuesday, as The Flash staged a face-off between the proverbial tortoise and hare, Barry proved too slow on the uptake to save something dear to him. Meanwhile, Joe and Iris got ‘tude from Wally and a speedster’s secret was revealed.

Maybe it’s because I watched this week’s Arrow screener first and it was so emotionally draining, but The Flash‘s return left me a bit cold. And I think that is in part because the seams in Season 2 are really starting to show. Including:

* The woefully inert Jay Garrick aka perhaps the most sadly underserved comic-book hero on the TV landscape. Ten episodes in, now, and we still don’t known quite why he is here, other than to charm Caitlin. Was he brought on just to die/almost die, and in doing so somehow save Barry or someone? Dunno.

* Wally West’s introduction. Being some edgy, secret drag racer and learning to be someone’s son aren’t mutually exclusive things. Unless Francince spoonfed this kid serving after serving of misinformation about his father during childhood, there’s little excuse for the chip looming so huge on his shoulders. Joe is “apparently not” a good detective? Uncalled for, kid.

* So, so many speedsters. Now in addition to Barry, Zoom and the woefully inert Jay Garrick, Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash is back in the mix, presumably from Earth-Two. And who’s to say what Jamie Jesse Well’s ultimate on-screen fate is. My concern here is not just that they’re diluting the impact of each added-on nemesis, but burning through options for Seasons 3, 4….

As for Barry himself: I understand that this episode was ostensibly about teaching him some lessons — to protect those you love and/or don’t be so slow to the draw to open yourself up to someone. Because the fact is that despite his nightmares (which happen to open with whimsical vignettes?) and Harry’s dire warning, Barry was just about to tell Patty his secret… and then abandoned that plan in full, after the scare from the Turtle. (“Holy crap, I’ve been a really, really cool girlfriend,” indeed.) And now hurt Patty is seizing the opportunity to leave Central City and pursue CSI training in Midway.

I conclude this thought with a simple, curt, “Barry, you bonehead.”

Things I liked in “Potential Energy”? Harry and Cisco’s ongoing oil-and-water dynamic, alternately helping and then hindering one another on any given project, then sneaking up on us with a somber scene where Wells opens up about the origin of Zoom’s nickname. Patty and Iris having a not-terribly-serious girl talk just like (I imagine) girls actually do, with Iris simultaneously supporting her longtime friend despite his quirks. The visual effects that contrasted Turtle’s waves of slow-motion with Barry’s speed. Joe ultimately confronting Wally — and young man West later agreeing to some kung pao chicken.

But what I really and have always liked was the Barry/Patty sparkle, the way that when these two went on a date, you wanted to be there with them, you wanted to once again have dates like that in your life. (I’m in the midst of a dry spell, you can tell.) As TVLine’s Vlada Gelman put it during an IM, these two were like a romantic-comedy in the middle of a superhero show. And now, because Barry has yet to learn how to love and risk losing, we have lost a pretty perfect, very pretty pairing.

What did you think of The Flash‘s midseason premiere?

1. Lily says:

You liked Patty? There was seriously NO point to her ever being on the show in the first place. All their scenes were stupid and pointless. I’m thrilled she’s gone.

• JEst says:

I hope she ultimately ends up staying or returning so that you can continue to obsessively complain about her on a weekly basis.

• bigdede says:

Patty wasn’t pointless. Her and Barry was cute until the writers decided to make her annoying when she had to get revenge on the person who killed her father. That episode just annoyed the crap out of me and made her unlikable. If they hadn’t done that to her, I would find her and Barry super cute. The way she smiled at him and how he blushed was cute. Yeah Barry and Iris are end game but until that point, Barry deserves to have a real girlfriend. Linda was just bogus and boring. And if Linda can know who Barry is, Patty could know.

• kath says:

The End of Patty was rushed and poorly written. There was no reason she had to break up with Barry other than they didn’t want to upset the Barry/Iris shippers.
        The more Iris talks about Barry being her brother, the less I want to see them dating, ever.

• I am happy to see Patty go. Her character was annoying from the beginning, with her constant insinuation to partner with Joe. She not only looked ten years older than Barry, but I never felt any chemistry there. Boy, that dry spell really has its hooks on you, Matt. But unfortunately, I don’t think she is really gone girl. Or maybe she is “Gone Girl.” By that I mean she is heading off to the school that was noted on the letterhead of the DNA analysis about Jay that Caitlyn found. I’m sure within a month of classes she will figure out how to save him. Or maybe Teddy has to die to return to Masters of Sex where it will be a much slower death.

• tvjunkie says:

Patty had a whole lot more romantic chemistry with Barry than Iris has ever had. When they’ve tried to lean toward romance between Barry and Iris it ended up looking awkward. The idea of dating some you grew up thinking of as a brother/sister is a bit gross.

• Isabella says:

Right on point. I never read the comics so I don’t know Wally but first impressions aren’t good. He’s a spoiled little brat. I’m glad they didn’t kill Patty off so that there is a chance that she’ll return at some point. Their relationship was pretty cute and you could see them falling for each other. A nice brother/sister moment between Barry and Iris. Hopefully they will leave the WestAllen nonsense for Earth 2. As for Jay..still no clue why he is even there. He’s boring, has no powers and is an unnecessary distraction for Caitlin. Cisco was the real star of this episode. I love his snappy comments.

• Kevin says:

@Isabella. Jay could be a good character but he is stuck with pointless and lackluster Caitlin.

Some of you are so desperate to label Barry/Iris brother and sister (he’s white and she’s black but ok) can’t wait till they start up their relationship again. It will make all you haters livid!

• Radha says:

Iris didn’t call Barry her brother, Patty did.

• Kevin says:

What fans need to wake up and realise is. So many of these Patty fans can’t stand the idea of an interracial couple. So they’ll say anything.

Patty was a boring guest star character. Set your racism aside fanboys and girls and just accept your white, blonde, Aryan is gone.

I’m sure this will be followed, “I’m not racist, they always say that, I have a black friend” lol.

• Maryann says:

@kevin

Race has nothing to do with it. Barry and Iris don’t work. Plenty of interracial couples (or potential couples) DO work. Like Kara and James Olsen on Supergirl, and Rebecca and Marcel on The Originals, for starters.

• Isabella says:

@kevin Race?? What the hell does that have to do with it? Barry calls Joe his father. He grew up with Iris. Any notion of a romantic relationship between them is ridiculous. Maybe on E2 if the didn’t grow up together. Besides, she has no interest in him!

• CC says:

SO true. I’m with you, and with the author here.

• crohit911 says:

Definitely. You stole my words(or maybe I wanna steal yours)

• Flash fan says:

Yes i agree with you but i really liked patty and barry’ s relationship and there must be a romantic story in an action film,because only action is boring there must be something interesting ..

• MiaB says:

I totally agree, Patty. She was a horrible detective (i.e. getting kidnapped on her first day as Joe’s partner, not realizing the man she’s sleeping with is the same Flash she’s clutching in her arms). I think they wanted to fill Barry’s time until Iris could hook up with someone; now Patty’s gone, Iris’s love interest is coming so there can be a new WestAllen love triangle.

• tvjunkie says:

Then Lois Lane and the entire Daily Planet staff in the Superman universe must be a really terrible reporters/etc if they can see Clark is Superman with glasses. The point being logic when it comes to superhero identities remaining hidden is often stretched pretty far in comics. That you’d consider that a negative only for Patty is a bit hypocritical. If Iris is supposed to be such a good reporter what took her so long? I mean she knew Barry a whole lot better and should have been able to read him quite easily.

• Kevin says:

Patty sucked and even worse are her rabid troll fans. She was a guest star who overstayed her welcome. Barry lied to her throughout their relationship lol. It was pointless.

• tvjunkie says:

How about the fact she had more romantic chemistry with Barry in 1 finger than Iris has had in her whole body?

• Radha says:

To your comment below. Just because someone doesn’t like Patty doesn’t automatically make them a Barry/Iris shipper. You Iris haters always go off on that other poster for liking them, but obsessively comment on their lack of chemistry every week as well. If you’re going to throw stones, be prepared to have them thrown back.

As for Patty, I would have liked her more had she not been sort of stalking Barry at the beginning. I get having a crush, but he was at first not picking up on her crush and not reciprocating and I think she should have had more dignity and let it go. It was only until Joe said something that had Barry go “Ohhhhh.”

• Flash fan says:

The thing that i want in the flash season 3 is that patty some how get to know about barry’ s truth and understand her mistake and then come back to barry’ s life again.and i also want a better and more thrilling story in season 3 including a relation ship in which flash get patched

• Piper says:

Patty brought nothing NEW to the show. Joe and Iris had to practically force Barry to date her and she’s a a trigger happy cop. I’m happy she’s gone, good riddance Patty!

• Caitlin says:

You must be a Snobarry shipper or a west Allen shipper or possibly barlicity

• Mina says:

No. Patty and Barry had a cute, sweet and funny thing going on. They’re so sweet together and I really really hope that the flash/ Barry stops her from leaving central city. He deserves a bit of happiness with all the horrible things going on.

2. Mare says:

I’m so bummed about Patty. I thought she and Barry were perfect together. I agree about Jay. I like him but they really don’t seem to know what to do with him. It’s disappointing.

• Kevin says:

I’m bummed she stuck around so long. Why do many of these comments about not wanting Patty to leave come from the same IP address? LOL!

3. Jason says:

I’m seriously bummed that Patty is leaving. They have such great chemistry and I feel like they’ve barely scratched the surface with her character. Atleast they didn’t kill her, which means maybe they can have Barry wise up and get her back eventually. It’s not like long distance relationships are a problem for Flash.

4. Lysh says:

I really liked Patty and I wanted her to learn about Barry being the Flash. I hope she pops up again soon.

• Gabby says:

Hope she pops us only to be brutally killed. Can’t stand Patty!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s healthy.

• Gabby says:

My therapist said the same thing!

Something about annoying, wasteful characters like Patty Spivot bring out the worst in me.

Thank goodness she’s gone, they charge by the hour ya know!

• tvjunkie says:

You must be one of the Baris/WestAllen people, despite Barry and Iris having terrible romantic chemistry whenever they’ve tried to hint at it. It really is like watching a brother and sister trying to hook up.

• Kevin says:

I couldn’t stand Patty either! So annoying! I actually liked his relationship with Linda. But Patty was like a modern day cop shooting unarmed men: she must have confused him for a black man.

• Kevin says:

@tvjunkie people are allowed to dislike that useless cop without it being about ships. But what could I expect from a Patty fangirl. She was a wannabe Felicity Smoak but she SUCKED! Face it! She’s gone. If only she left sooner, but who would showcase police brutality if she wasn’t around. Disgusting gun loving cop.

Bye Patty! Take your handgun with you.

• Sunsoraye says:

Agreed. If only Zoom had dropped her off that building. I was so disappointed when I realized it was a dream. I never want to see Patty on this show ever again.

5. Jerry says:

The Flash is too good a show to be playing the “too dumb to recognize a secret identity” card. That storyline is terrible, and this will go down as one of, if not the, worst episode of the series to me. I hope there are some interviews coming to explain this mess.

• Cyndi says:

I agree. She was smart enough to figure out things about King Shark and Dr. Light. Knew he was blind but now she’s dumber than rocks even after the villain dropped big hints. It’s really silly writing.

• crohit911 says:

I was hoping her to find it out soon after her “blind date” i even tweeted about it, but writers why’d you listen. You love to bore and irritate people.

• tvjunkie says:

They did the same thing with Iris. It’s pretty much common place when it comes to superheros. Why are you only complaining about this one instance? You gave Patty far less time to figure it out than supposedly ace report Iris had.

6. James D says:

Couldn’t of said it better Matt. I agree with everything you wrote especially the plethora of speedsters it’s way too much IMO I think it would serve the season better if they picked one and stuck with it. I liked Patty too and found it very jarring that she just decides to leave CC. I’m worried that they’ve brought back the wonderful Matt Letscher only to waste him like they’re wasting Jay Garrick.

7. Chris says:

Matt, I’m with you on Barry and Patty. I’ve found Patty to be a total breath of fresh air from her very first episode and the character’s only gotten more appealing as time wore on. Was never a fan of Shantel on OTH but she’s won me over ten fold here; hate to see her go(and as an aside, and not to get fresh, but has anyone ever told you Matt you have some serious cuteness going on? If not, someone just did :-)).

8. A. D. says:

Is she really leaving? Hope not!

9. amb1973 says:

Jay Garrick is where charisma goes to die.

10. Tia says:

I’m glad they more of a Shawn/Abigail with Barry and Patty as killing her off probably would’ve given the show a much darker turn.

11. Mik says:

Patty and Barry did not sparkle. They were boring, right up to the very end. I’m glad she’s gone.

I LOVED Wally, he can stay forever. His chip was completely justified when Joe is running around introducing him like he’s always been there for Wally. It was too much too soon.

• Michelle says:

Wally is a brat. Acting like its Joe’s fault. Now that annoying Patty is gone, we get to have Wally take her place.

12. Ouerava says:

Is this Patty’s last episode? If yes, I’m glad. Finally!!! Patty = Linda. They were both guest stars in the show. They had an arc and were meant to leave at the end of that arc, period. Those relationships were doomed from the start and we all knew that. Come on, this is Barry Allen we’ere talking about. Like it or not, there’s only ONE GIRL in Barry’s mind and it’s Iris West soon to be Allen.
    It’s funny how you can call Barry & Patty a “Perfect Pairing” Ha Ha Ha! sorry I laughed out loud when I read it. Barry was never into her to start with and he only saw her has an escape (you know why). She was the one forcing the relation and it was embarrassing to witness it. Joe had to push Barry into Patty’s arms since she appeared and now Iris telling Barry he must tell her the truth if he is “serious” about her?? For real?? What a “Perfect Pairing” as you wrote. I won’t be surprised to learn that Joe also taught him how to be intimate with her too…
    The problem is that both ladies are not Iris and will never be. No matter what, Barry will never be invested in a relationship if it’s not Iris.
    Now hope to hear and see more from all the regulars who were sidelined during 2A. Also, bring Earth 2! Can’t wait to see all the different characters especially Iris & Barry there. I read that the Art Deco Set/Era will be dope! That’s want I want to see and the charming Zoom too :-D

• Joe says:

Cannot wait until barry starts dating his adopted sister…I mean the show already refered to iris as his sister, and he calls joe his dad…I can imagine it now, “dad I am so happy to be dating your daughter…” not to mention Iris has uttey and totally rejected barry at every turn in season one, up to calling him crazy…yes iconic…

• Isabella says:

Season 3 will be all about them changing their name to Lannister.

• Liz985 says:

Yeah, I’m having problems with the whole dad, sister, brother thing, too. It’s just kinda of creepy. At first, I thought they were doing a decent job of separation because you had still had Henry there, but now it’s all about the West “family” of which, Barry, is definitely a part. Is it impossible for the Barry/Iris thing to just settle into loving friends/family?

• kandeb says:

patty and bary were so cute together!! i was so mad! she better stay!(FOREVER!!!!!!!!!)

13. Skittles&Bits says:

Is Wally supposed to be annoying? Bleeding skies, the kid’s an obnoxious ball of unnecessary angst. Did he conveniently forget that Joe didn’t know he had a son because his drug abusing mom walked out on him and their daughter? He didn’t grow up with a dad? Iris didn’t grow up with a mom!! It broke my heart to watch this punk insult Joe. Joe is awesome. Funny how the episode that brought me over to Patty’s side (“where she get the gun she used to shoot the Turtle at the ball anyway?) is the episode she decides to get out of dodge? Also, you would think that Cisco would have 24/7 surveillance on the villains so he could monitor them (and anyone who decides to visit them) while they are incarcerated but Team Flash isn’t that prepared so I’m guessing no one’s going to see Harry’s long con till it’s too late?

• keenen says:

I’m with you on that…after the incident with Reverse Flash and all the drama with the prisoners you’d think they’d have cameras everywhere

• Teresa says:

I was wondering where she got the gun too! Had to re-watch that scene because I wanted to know. The gun honestly came out of nowhere, but after seeing it a second time, you can see that she pulls it out of her purse.

• ChrisGa says:

Yep, not at all a fan of Wally.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah, Not a fan of Wally either. He was beyond obnoxious. I agree with everything Skittles said about him above.

• Kevin says:

Well he’s here to stay like every other BLACK character on the show. I know that hurts you guys. Suffer!

• Phoenix5634 says:

His race had absolutely nothing to do with that comment, or any comment I make. You are so racist tho, and you’re ignorant about it too, you post this crap a lot lately. I called Wally obnoxious becuz he is, he was incredibly rude to Joe, he only came to visit becuz he needed to street race somewhere else, he was basically just using Joe to slide under the radar in central city for abit. And everything he’s mad at Joe for isn’t really Joe’s fault, it was his alcoholic mother who walked out on Joe during the pregnancy which she never told him about. And now Joe’s doing all he can now that he knows, and wally’s basically just spitting on him for it.

14. Dot says:

“Barry, you bonehead.” My thought exactly when Patty broke up with him. I enjoyed their chemistry.

15. Britt says:

GOODBYE PATTY! I’ve never seen two characters with such a lack of chemistry like Barry and Patty, it was embarrassing. She was too forcedly adorkable for me. Bye Felicia!!

16. Drew says:

I have been a Wally West fan for a long time (the real Wally West). It’s a shame that the first time I get to see him in live action, he is such an unlikable character. Can they rewrite history and make him not exist?
    The rest of the episode was pretty good. In the back of my mind, I always thought that it would be fun to make the Turtle the season 3 big bad, since it would such a contrast to all of the speedsters. But he was used well here, so I can’t complain.
    It was awkward when Patty referred to Iris as Barry’s sister. Eew. I like Patty though. I hope she comes back. She doesn’t have to be a love interest in order to be a good character.
    The one thing that keeps annoying me is how everyone treats Harry like the double of Eobard Thawne from last year. I get that the face gives them negative feelings, but I wish that they’d move past it. I hope that once Jesse is saved, he can lighten up and have some better interaction with everyone.

17. kath says:

Thanks Matt. You’ve nailed for me my problems with this episode.
    The biggest problem was that Patty is gone, and with the lamest excuse ever. I loved how she and Barry sparkled and how she made him more fun. There doesn’t seem to be any reason for her to break up with him even is she’s leaving the show, he is by definition someone who could run over to whatever city she’s in for a date and run back again for work the next morning.

I’m also really tired of this show’s obsession with the father/son dynamic. Barry has three dads, and the one he sees the least is his biological one. Joe needs reminding that he actually has a biological daughter because all his concern is for Barry and now Wally. I’m already over the angst of Wally and his anger at his father — the one who didn’t even know he existed. More than enough, already.

I wish I knew what they were doing with Jay. Hey, maybe if they brought on Jay’s father, they would actually writer some development for him!
    I’m really going to miss Patty.

18. James says:

I think the point of having so many speedsters is for The Flash to have more allies to defeat Zoom. My guess is that they are all going to fight together against Zoom. But yes, it also feels like they’re burning options for future seasons…

• James says:

Also, you have to remember Velocity 6… that could be a good theme for season 3. Maybe someone leaks the drug and Barry has to deal with the consequences. Something along the lines of a speedster-killing army…

19. Liz985 says:

My fear is that The Flash is going to become like The Walking Dead when they do these impressive reveals and introductions of anticipated heroes & villains from their respective comic book universes and the story lines just….fall flat. The writers just don’t seem to know what to do with the characters and then they either under utilize them or give them the bum’s rush out of the show. Slow down, Flash. The mythology isn’t going anywhere.

20. Phoenix5634 says:

They should have Barry go after Patty, and tell her he’s the Flash, and continue they’re relationship long distance, since he is a speedster it wouldn’t really be long distance. They should do it to give Patty a better exit eventually cuz this one was terrible, lol plus it’d funny the reaction of Iris fans.

21. Phoenix5634 says:

Seriously where is Barry’s real dad, Henry? I find it really odd/ suspicious he hasn’t been around more this season.., like he had more scenes last season when he was in jail lol, and his so called explanation “he was fishing”

22. Pat says:

It was a good epidode and I had figured it out at the beginning, that Patty would be leaving. As for the Wally West storyline, this kid really was brainwashed by his mother. Did she not tell him the truth about how she just left her husband and daughter and never once told her husband that she was pregnant? Joe had know clue about him so he is allowing this guy to just say nasty things to him without even batting an eye. So this part of the show and I am not happy with.

23. dancmh says:

I hate how the show has trashed Jay’s character. So much potential just shot to hell….

24. Johnny Styles says:

Matt – It’s Jesse Wells, not Jamie Wells. :)

25. peterwdawson says:

Ugh, did Wally West need to be a douchebag? He was one of my favorite Flash characters, able to be serious but also solidly light, even as he got older. Now he’s just awful. I mean, you don’t have to make ‘daddy issues’ and ‘resentful’ the only character traits.

26. robandco says:

I want Patty back but not right now. I want Barry to try to move on but fail while dating new women. I hope they don’t force West Allen on us too soon. Yes, they are cute together but Iris seriously needs to get a life before Barry. They can’t be each other’s rebound. I really hoped he was going to tell her during this episode. I hate when they drag things like that (I mean it took Iris almost a season to figure it out and don’t get me started on laurel on Arrow…).

I am pumped for (presumably Earth 2’s) Reverse Flash!! Where are they going with that? Will he help them defeat Zoom? Will he join Zoom? Will there be a Mexican standoff between the 3 speedsters? If they are to steal Zoom’s speed, I bet it’s going to end up in Wally at some point. Because they would have shown if he had powers yet. So glad the Flash is back!!

27. Amanda says:

Wally was really obnoxious, I didn’t like him.
    I don’t want Patty to go, she was great with Barry and I felt they had so much potential.

28. herman1959 says:

All I’m going to say is the EPs/writers can do better than this and they need to SOON. See ya next week.

29. Gail says:

At least they are finally giving Jay Garrick a story. They could have given him this story in his second appearance since he has done nothing since then.

I thought is was odd that team Flash now wants to find a way to steel Zoom’s speed since Zoom apparently stole Jay’s speed and knows how to steel speed. Perhaps Team Flash will steel Reverse Flash’s speed to save Jay.

I liked the character of Patty. Her reason for leaving came out of nowhere. She tried so hard to partner with Joe and then shortly afterwards says “Well I got what I wanted so I’ll be seeing you” This made me think that the producers just decided to get rid of her rather than it being part of a planned story arc.

30. Joe says:

Awful episode…barry/patty were great together with lots of chemistry so lets’s break them up, due to barrys stupidity…patty leaving central city was completely out of left field and nonsensical …now iris will get a new boyfriend and barry will be back to single mopy season one barry…yay…also to many speedsters, jay has the personality of cardboard, and wally is an ahole…

31. Amy says:

I thought this episode was “okay”. Kind of lack luster in a lot of ways. While I’ve never been a fan of spallen (I mean they were cute but kind of boring. I like my relationships to have some sort of depth) I do think how they ended was kind of lame. Besides their occasional cute moments the writers have made a mess of developing their relationship right from the start. I mean Patty demands Barry be honest with her through the entire episode…then we find she never told Barry she accepted a spot at a school and is moving out of town till too late. I mean do these two ever communicate with each other? I know some people like this couple but my god this episode would have been ten times better without this storyline dragging it down.

32. Diana says:

I liked Wally. His mom is dying and he has the burden of having to find money to pay for their bills, his lashing out is only natural. Enjoyed that scene with Barry and Iris. No matter what they are talking about they have an intimacy and depth. They could really go the distance as a couple :)

33. Elle says:

It’s really interesting how people are so mad at the fact that Wally is not here for Joe when back when Iris was giving Francine the cold shoulder everyone was cheering that on. Look, Francine and Joe both handled their situation really badly. It’s so clear and obvious that Wally feels slighted for not having a dad add that to the fact that Joe was all, “gtfo” when Francine finally came back and I’m not surprised that Wally isn’t here for Joe. His mom is dying, she’s a former addict, his life probably wasn’t all well-to-do and he’s taking it out on his dad. It’s not entirely rational but it makes perfect sense from a character perspective. This pedestal that people have Joe on has got to stop. I understand that you guys love Joe’s relationship with Barry but Joe’s relationship with his actual children is so flawed, he’s not the perfect at all. It’s not the end of the world if his kid gets huffy with him.

Regarding Patty, I’m not that sad to see her go, but I think the way it happened was so abrupt. With Jay, I’m upset that he’s so useless, I am anxiously awaiting the day that he gets his speed back. Cisco and Harry are always a pleasure to watch. I hope the Turtle isn’t dead because he’s a cool villain and my goodness the writers have gotten Iris’ lack of screen time down to a science.

34. Cyndi says:

I’m with you, Matt. I am not happy with how Patty was written off. It could have been so much better and there’s a lot of wasted potential with Barry and Patty.

• Gabby says:

Patty sucked! Stop glorifying that screenhog waste of space.

• Cyndi says:

She did not. She was great.

• Kevin says:

Trigger happy Patty was awful. And scenes between her and Grant Gustin were painful to watch – no chemistry! Hallelujah it’s over and the actress has a gig on another show.

All Barry did was lie to her. She never knew the real him. “I love art” oh Barry!

And she kept getting kidnapped and needing to be rescued. Talk about damsel in distress!

35. TVPeong says:

Barry loves telling people that he is the Flash. I’m surprised he hesitated so much in telling Patty. I liked her, and would like to see her back on the show.

I’m really loving the Cisco/Harry dynamic this season. I hope Harry doesn’t break Cisco’s heart again.

I’m glad the show is back and I am excited to see where it’s going for the second half of the season.

36. Gabby says:

Disagree. Patty wasted so much screentime. I actually stopped watching. Only interesting development is Wally West

37. Das snow says:

Patty was a fill in character, pointless. We all know she wasn’t going to go the distance. Because it seems the writers can’t write for a woman except attach her to a man and make her annoying as crap. I demand better.

38. Patty says:

I liked Barry and Patty as a couple

39. Gemma says:

This Patty character was written for men by men and so it doesn’t surprise me that most of the people (including Matt) wailing about her departure are dudes.

I spent an entire half season waiting for the Barry and Patty relationship to have some type of depth and it never did. Smiling maniacally and telling lame jokes while hiding who you truly are isn’t the foundation of any healthy relationship, much less a perfect one. Barry and Patty did nothing but lie to each other and hide their true selves for the entirely of the relationship. What a freaking waste of time.

And I can’t believe that Patty actually went ahead and slept with Barry when she admits that she didn’t have a clue as to who he really was.

• Lily says:

I’m not surprised by that, because I now think it’s obvious the only real reason she was on the show in the first place was to deflower Barry. Think about it- one episode after that happens, and they break up. They wanted us to know he’s slept with at least one person before Iris.

• Maryann says:

So for how many years did the Lois and Clark (Superman) deception go on? And no one ever questioned his love for her. (At least not until that horrendous comic book reboot)

• Cyndi says:

There are several posters in here with female-sounding names like mine who liked the couple. And yes, I’m a woman.

• Gemma says:

I said “most” not “all”. You liking a character that is actually an insult to your gender (as she only served to cater to the male gaze) doesn’t change what I said.

40. Gerald says:

Don’t care for the Wally storyline. They definitely could have cast and written him better.
    LIke the Turtle storyline. Hope it helps with Zoom.
    Patty I liked, but she did seem clueless when the guy TOLD HER she was precious to the Flash. You’d think that would have clued her in to Barry’s identity. But in Barry’s defense. Zoom would come after her if he knew, like in his dream.

41. Maryann says:

So why didn’t he do a grand gesture at the end? Like maybe scooping her up as The Flash, taking her someplace private, revealing he is Barry, then begging for her forgiveness? He has a thousand times the chemistry with Patty than he does with Iris, and if they write Patty out, they have lost something irreplaceable.

• FashionMaven says:

I honest to goodness saw more chemistry in a PICTURE of Iris and Barry than I saw all season with Spallen. She does have one more episode left though – I think she’s going to find out he’s the flash, but she’s still leaving the show anyway, imo.

42. Veronica says:

Patty should stay and be with Barry and the team

43. Brigid says:

I enjoyed Patty/Barry together, they were really cute. The only thing I felt was a little odd was how much older she looked then Barry. He looks about 24 and she looks 34. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with the age and she is beautiful but it seemed like they were trying to make her the same age as him and it wasn’t working. Other than that, I think they did sparkle on screen together. I don’t blame her for leaving Barry, he’s been a totally sucky boyfriend.

Wally was a total jerk. YOU came to see them, not the other way around. He made it seem like Joe is the bad guy when in fact he had no idea the kid existed. His drug addicted wife had left her husband and daughter after how many times Joe tried to help. Enough is enough, he had to worry about his daughter, not chasing someone around who didn’t want to be found. I get that Wally is young and missed out on having a dad, but put the blame where it belongs…your mom.

I’m glad they are finally using Jay for something. I kept saying how much I like him but we need to utilize him more. Looking forward to Earth 2!!!!

44. Nick says:

In the new 52 though, Barry is in a relationship with patty and never marries iris.

• Amy says:

Sorry to break it to you but Barry and Patty have broken up in the New 52 :)

• FashionMaven says:

Haven’t they broken up? Patty left him, right? Just like here?

And he hasn’t married Iris *yet* in the new 52 – but it’s clearly headed for some kind of Westallen story.

45. Gabby says:

Okay does anyone remember that the actress was only contracted for ten episodes granted her exit was unceremonious and underwhelming we all knew it was come, why all those folks feinging concern when throughout her run they were never #onhere championing her… I digress, the episode itself had its moments but for the most part I agree with what you said. I hate what they have done to Jay with the fire of 1000 suns (might start a OG Flash deserves better campaign). I wasnt at all upset about the Wally and Joe interaction I actually enjoyed the shade Wally threw at him and as you rightly said no one knows what francine spoon fed him (look no further than Iris who thought her mother was dead for 20yrs). He spent 7 mins ish on screen has grest chemistry with Joe and the little interaction he had with Iris was on point. But already fandom hates ‘this Wally’
    Cisco was a gem no change
    Caitlin no comment
    Harry still being sassy and shady
    Iris looked gorgeous and delivered her 3 scenes brilliantly aka her ep cameo
    Barry and Paddy still boring me to tears. But alas this contrived-but I think u call it “perfect pairing” is over and this fan is very very happy 😊
    Now can we get back to focusing on the shows actual regular characters please and telling amazing stories in the vein of (most of)season 1. Thanks

46. Robinn says:

I enjoyed Patty, but I want Iris & Barry together in the end.

47. Bye Patty you won’t be missed. Hopefully now Iris can finally have some damn screen time and I can’t wait for #Westallen

• kath says:

I’m betting Iris still won’t get any substantiable screen time. The problem wasn’t that Patty or Felicity or Linda was taking it away from her, it’s that the writers just aren’t interested in the Iris character.

48. Emily says:

I will not miss Patty, but I hope the show gets back to the heart and humor that makes it great. I hope we see Barry face off against RF next week and Iris actually get time with her family.

49. Mo says:

I’ll miss Barry & Patty fumbling & maturing towards each other. They did sparkle, especially their dinner date and the deleted scene. As with Linda, it was great to see Barry with someone who wants to be with him as much as he wants to be with her. And I never once wonder why is she there. Hopefully, Jay will get more development now that Patty is gone. While I will miss the Joe/Barry moments, Wally’s addition will keep Iris away from Team Flash, and prevent WestAllen, reducing the level of irrelevance with her shoe-horned in appearances at StarLabs and the station. So, you go, Wally, emo and angst Joe & Iris around your little finger for as long as you can, preferably to at least season 3.5.

50. Sunsoraye says:

I’m happy Patty is gone. Really, they never should have brought her on. She was an annoying waste of time. She was meddling, nosey, trigger happy and forced upon up violently. The scenes with Barry were abysmal. She looks way too old for Barry. She seriously looks the same age as the woman that played his mother. I did not care about her or her storyline and I’m thrilled she will no longer be on this show. I can finally watch it in peace!

Goodbye Patty! You won’t be missed!

Now let’s get this Westallen destiny started!

• Mo says:

Iris isn’t that much younger than Patty, and still looks older than Barry. She will go from being Barry’s older sister to Wally’s older sister, easy peasy. And WestAllen isn’t happening this season anyway.