Supergirl Toyman

Supergirl Recap: Father of Mine — Plus: Who Made a Big Confession?

There are a few things you can always count on during every Supergirl episode: Kara’s curls will always look flawless, no matter how fast she’s flying. Cat Grant will deliver a one-liner better than anyone in National City.

And, most of all, the CBS series will make you really appreciate your family.

In this Monday’s episode, it wasn’t Kara’s evil aunt who was wreaking havoc, or Cat’s icy mother who was slinging insults. It was Winn’s homicidal father, Winslow Schott, Sr. — aka The Toyman, due to his toy-making past — that was causing all the trouble.

After escaping from prison, Winslow tracks down his son and tries to enlist him in yet another murderous scheme. The ultimate goal? Assassinate a fellow toymaker, Chester Dunholtz (with whom Winslow has bad blood) and blow up all of Chester’s adoring fans with the help of 10 bombs planted at National City’s toy convention.

It probably goes without saying that Supergirl saves the day; thanks to her X-ray vision and icy breath, she is able to save the convention-goers and put Winslow back in jail before any of his bombs can be detonated. But the real highlight of the hour is the effect this father-son reunion has on Winn. After Winslow arrives in town, Winn confesses to Kara that he’s afraid he’ll end up like his dear old dad — and when Kara vehemently tells her friend that would never happen, he leans in for a kiss… and is promptly denied. Oof.

Supergirl Episode 10But instead of sweeping the smooch under the rug, Winn decides to tell Kara how he really feels about her, for fear that bottling it up will cause him to become a villain like his dad one day. “I’m in love with you,” Winn tearfully tells Kara in the CatCo offices. “I have been in love with you for a long time, long before you were Supergirl.” (Kara/Winn ‘shippers, I can practically hear your squeals from here.)

Kara, as we all know, doesn’t feel the same way about Winn, but maintains that she doesn’t want things to change between them. Still, when Winn turns back to his video games and blows off Kara’s dinner invite, it’s pretty clear that their friendship won’t be the same. (Sob!)

Elsewhere in the hour:

* In an effort to get intel on Maxwell Lord’s ulterior motives, Alex — wearing a fabulous LBD — joins him for a dinner date (with a side of manipulative flirtation). The technology guru remains tight-lipped about his intentions, but unbeknownst to Alex, he attaches a teeny-tiny camera to her purse before she leaves — and when he’s spying on her later that night, he discovers that she is indeed Supergirl’s sister.

* While Alex is wined and dined by the real Maxwell Lord, J’onn J’onzz puts his shapeshifting powers to good use and pretends to be Maxwell in order to break into Lord Technologies. Once there, he discovers the Jane Doe that’s being kept in a super-secret room, before being forced to use his (extreme) memory-wiping ability on a suspicious security guard who seems to know that Maxwell isn’t really Maxwell.

* Meanwhile, in Love Triangle News: Lucy Lane is offered a job at CatCo, which immediately makes things weird between her and James. Even though James tries to brush it off and pretend that Lucy’s new job is merely making him question his own ambitions, we all know he’s just dreading the proximity between Lucy and Kara. (And considering Kara always seems to be lurking in the corner while James and Lucy are kissing, I can’t say I blame him for being wary.)

OK, your turn. What did you think of Monday’s Supergirl? Hit the comments with your thoughts on Winn’s big confession and more!

1. Riana says:

So where was the heads up that Emma Caulfield would be on the show?

2. Mary says:

Yeah, I knew that Max was going to eventually find out about Alex’s connection to Supergirl being more than work related. Ten episodes in out of 20, so I guess the timing is right.

• I wonder if he was known as “The Boy Toy” in his younger days?

• kath says:

Czerny was awesome. He found just the right level to be a super villain and still someone I could understand even if I didn’t agree with his actions. Most villains on superhero shows just way over the top but he made his character a real person.

3. James D says:

Really nice work by Jeremy tonight I’m not ashamed to admit that scene with Kara got me a little. BTW Alex is the worst how you not going to notice a huge camera on your purse girl. Dang Max Lord going to straight up Lex Luthor you :)

4. Luli says:

If I didn’t love Winn before this episode, now I do. And maybe I can see the Kara/Winn thing, even though they’ll have another obstacle in the form of Adam.

And I did not see the end coming! I can’t see any good coming out of this for Alex now that Lord has figured out their connection…

5. dan says:

Jeremy Jordan: performer of the week!

6. Matthew says:

I don’t know. I just can’t get invested in this show. I feel like there are no stakes. The fact that it is the same people behind arrow and flash boggles my mind. Those shows hold my attention and keep me on the edge of my seat. The only part of this I really like is cat grant.

• Phun says:

To each their own. I like Supergirl more than The Flash. Even the midseason finale on The Flash kinda left me at ‘is that it’? Still I do watch all 3 shows in this priority- Supergirl, Arrow and The Flash.

• casey says:

I completely agree. There’s something about this show that just doesn’t hold my interest. I read the recaps in case it ever seems like I might want to pick out up again. Every time I try to watch I lose interest half way through…But flash and arrow are must watch for me.

7. D says:

My god are the writers bad on this show, there is no subtlety at all, it’s all Blunt over the top rhetoric. We get it GIRL POWER! Honestly it’s becoming obnoxious. and the line about “working for angry old white men” was a little too much, a little too hateful.

• Phun says:

I guess you haven’t been keeping up with the news and the #OscarsSoWhite situation that’s happened for the past 2 years. I can see where that hate comes from. Good to see it being mentioned in a subtle way. Been there… with the working for angry old white men and I know the feeling of being slighted and overlooked for promotions, etc.

• Phun, have you tried working with blacks? It’s horrible!

• Robby, racist much? I worked in DC for 26 years, and found just as many great and horrible black people as there are whites. This is called judging people by their character rather than their skin color.

• Phun says:

Are you kidding me? You’re asking me this question! How do you know that I’m not black or white or brown? WOW! I’ve worked with all ethniticities and you have good and bad people all around!

• tvjunkie says:

Why aren’t you complaining about the award shows for blacks only or the ones for latinos only? By your logic, aren’t those even more racist since they don’t even attempt to hide it?

• Elf says:

Wow, congratulations on the most idiotic logic I’ve seen in a long time. Did you consider for a second the reason those awards shows exist is because the mainstream awards almost completely ignore them? If you eliminate the shows you mention and go simply by the Oscars, the public is left with the impression that there were no notable performances by minorities.

• KCC says:

I agree. The whole women empowerment thing could be much better written. Working for Cat Grant wouldn’t be working for an angry old white man, but it would be working for a stereotypical “catty” white woman, given Cat’s “yoga pants” line, attempt at shaming Lucy Lane into taking a job because it fits Cat’s agenda and vision of what an empowered women should be, and obvious condescending attitude toward someone with Lucy’s credentials. I was expecting Cat to call Lucy “honey” as some point. If an old white man mentioned the way Lucy was dressed it would have been decried as sexist. As it is, it’s counterproductive having a character with the accomplishments of Cat Grant with so many stereotypical “woman in power” traits.

• Phoenix5634 says:

@D
      You’re not wrong, and it is starting to get kind of obnoxious in that regard. The way they’re promoting feminism and equality is not subtle, nor is it all that equal.

• tvjunkie says:

That’s a pretty sexist comment. Where are you with all the testosterone fueled shows? Why aren’t you all over them complaining about over the top MAN POWER?

8. Haylie says:

I liked this episode. It had a feel and story similar to The Flash, which probably won’t work for it all the time but definitely worked at least this time. Jeremy Jordan finally gets to show off his acting skills, and hopefully this new arc will let him continue with the impressive job he did in tonight’s episode.

9. Thana says:

Thank goodness Winn finally told her! I’m a lowkey Kara/Winn shipper, but I mostly just want both characters to be happy so I’m ok if nothing ends up coming to fruition between the two. Also Kara wouldn’t be very good in ANY relationship really if she can’t take the not-so-subtle hints Winn has been dropping the past 9 episodes, I mean, there’s obvious, and then there’s Winn. The fact that she probably didn’t even suspect he liked her tells me it probably wouldn’t work out for them anyways. I enjoyed this episode nonetheless! (I wouldn’t be surprised if Jeremy Jordan gets a POTW nod either)

10. ninergrl6 says:

I’m biased because I’ve adored Jeremy Jordan for years, but I thought this was the best Supergirl episode to date. It was more “human” (for lack of a better word) than prior eps, literally and figuratively. I LOVED the Kara/Winn scenes, especially when he broke down at her apartment and confessed his fear that he could end up like his dad. Heartbreaking! The Lucy/James work conflict felt very real too. Hell, even the Alex/Maxwell pseudo-date and subsequent revelation that he’s spying on her (!!!) was down-to-earth in a TV show sort of way. I guess what I’m realizing is that I like the “super” aspect of the show less than I like the “girl” aspect. I couldn’t care less about aliens and superheroes; I’m intrigued by real relationships in extreme circumstances, which tonight’s episode executed perfectly. More like that, please! (And more Winn for good measure)

Totally random observation: It’s been obvious to me since the beginning that Calista Flockheart is filmed with a different filter than the rest of the cast. She’s more blurred & soft, not crisp. Tonight there was one scene in Cat’s office where it looked like a bad photoshop job was done on her neck/chin area; for the majority of the scene her neck was basically covered by a blob blur effect. Please tell me I’m not the only person who noticed! I get that there are camera and lighting tricks to film actors in the most flattering way, but isn’t au natural better than a giant blur? It is IMO. i thought Ms. Flockheart looked lovely at the Golden Globes, no special effects necessary.

11. ? says:

Winn is the worst. The worst. Sorry.

• tvjunkie says:

He’s kind of like a needy little puppy that follows you everywhere to the point it crosses over from cute to annoying.

• He does that because he lost everything he loves. When he lost his dad, he lost his family. When he fell in love with Kara, he had hope in life. He hoped she would understand and might slightly have feelings towards him too. You could feel the hurt in his voice when he tells her about his feelings, because he knew she rejected him before and that won’t change. And don’t you dare say he is annoying. If you were in this sitiuation @tvjunkie,i think you would be worse. I think i, myself would be so much worse. I am not trying to offended you or anything. Sorry I just ship them so much.

• Brea says:

James is like a stalker with a Supergirl crush. Winn was in love with her before he even knew who she was! Try to stick at least a little bit to the canon. It’s bad enough you had to PC white Jimmy out of existence but His gf has always been Lucy Lane!

• hannah says:

Winn is the best. The best. Sorry.

12. Stephen says:

Glad Winn finally confessed. Us guys have all been there. Welcome to the Friendzone.

• Jess says:

@Stephen this damn “friendzone” guys need to get over themselves. The so called self proclaimed “good guys” whining about “she friendzoned me” NA! You just always had an ulterior motive and she was upfront.

• Phoenix5634 says:

That’s what is ironic about the “friendzone”, girls do it to “nice guys” becuz they don’t believe they’re being upfront with them and they must be hiding something or an ulterior motive. And then the bad boys or whatever, who basically just treat girls like a piece of meat, get the girl, becuz the girl believes he’s being upfront with her, so as long as he’s good with words an doesn’t offend her, it’s all good.

• Rie says:

Hey, you know what REALLY sucks? The “girlfriendzone” – when you meet a guy and he pretends to be nice and care about you as a person and dupes you into believing you can rely on his friendship only to have him turn around and vilify you for not wanting to sleep with him merely bc he was a decent guy who assumed he was entitled to get into your pants, MAN that REALLY sucks. But hey, friendzone amirite??

13. cadfile says:

The writers need to balance the case of the week and the soap opera. Why does there need to be a love triangle at all. Everyone knows Supergirl can’t have a normal life. She”l crush on people and be crushed on but in the end she has to be solo the job really requires it. That’s why they need more characters on the show like Lucy Lane who don’t know who SG is and those characters can have the heavy soap opera. I just think that drama drags down the show when SG is the focus. It would like if she were flying into some danger and telling Alex she was feeling bloated.

14. Phun says:

Great episode. Glad to see it wasn’t just a filler one. Great job by Jeremy, Melissa, Henry and Peter! Poor Winn! Happy to see Jeremy get some screen time. MM’s hesitation of using his power has me waiting for future episodes that involve going into his backstory of how he became HH. And both MM and Alex need to go back to espionage training. How careless of both of them! :)

15. Brea says:

Kara’s relationship with Winn is much more compelling than the one she has with too smooth pretentious Olson! The show is better now that they put that “ship” on the back burner. He’s supposed to be with Lucy anyway.

16. If Jonn really erased this man’s memories, well beyond what he saw with him, and did so permanently, this actually is a fairly major crime. It’s like a mind rape, and I think they went too far with him. I’d like to see Jonn somehow restore that man’s memories, except of course for the part about meeting Jonn.

As for Winn, I think almost every guy has been there. That feeling of not knowing whether to go for it, and getting shot down the second you do–you feel like total garbage. Likewise, when the girl wants to just be friends and pretend nothing ever happened. It’s like she wants the friend, the companionship and the guy, but thinks that his feelings of wanting more don’t matter. He wrestles with the decision as to whether he wants her in his life at all, knowing that she doesn’t feel the same. I thought that whole thing was very real once he showed the guts to try to kiss her, and the character showed even more guts by saying, “no, I don’t just want to be your friend.” Nice guys–it sucks.

• John NYC says:

They set the memory wipe up as a rather extreme injury so there probably isn’t any partial restoration possible or he wouldn’t have done the excessive damage in the first place.

Well he could have just shot him dead…..

17. Rafael says:

1.) It is Winn’s father who’s behind this, not the toymaster owner.

2.) The freezing ice slows down the entire deadly bomb explosion movements.

3.) Due to whatever happened at the end of this episode, we may need Hank again.

18. Luis says:

Nothing like the Friend Zone to torn a nice guy into a supervillain!

19. Luis says:

If you had to choose one – Phantom Zone or Friend Zone?

20. Brea says:

I love the show but for gods sake put a science teacher in the writers room to make sure some of these rescues are plausible!

• Phoenix5634 says:

Strongly agree.

• John NYC says:

Because in a world where the “yellow sun” empowers humanoid aliens with superpowers such as the ability to fly and that icy-breath thingy, “science” is that all important grail?

WAY past that. Way.

• Drew says:

The writers need to at least decide on an internal logic for the show. They need to decide what their science is, and they need to stick to it. It is important to a scifi series for the writers to know where the boundaries are.

• peterwdawson says:

Just because you have alien physiology in your show doesn’t mean regular physics suddenly stops working.

21. CC says:

This was my favorite episode so far, it was so good! Loved Jeremy Jordon – his scenes were great!!

22. Drew says:

Truly horribly written episode. I get that the meat of the story was the father/son stuff, but it was like they didn’t want to be bothered with… Well, Supergirl. The quicksand made no sense. Why couldn’t she just fly out of it? The ice at the toy show pretty much just added shards of pointy shrapnel to the mix.
    I normally think that the show is badly written, but this was the lowest point thus far.
    And what was with Lucy’s rant against men? Do they need to keep saying that Cat is smart and powerful… For a woman? Can’t they just leave the woman part out of that mix and really make it seem like she is a capable, professional person? Constantly pointing out the girl power just makes it seem less like these characters are truly capable, and more like they’re only capable within their sub-group. It has the opposite effect than what they want.
    We have never heard Felicity, Laurel, Nyssa, Caitlin, Iris or Thea play the girl power card. Their actions speak louder than words.

• peterwdawson says:

Don’t forget Lucy’s ‘heads I win tails you lose’ moment where she picks up Jimmy’s not entirely onboard with the career move but then after wanting him to be supportive, and he is, she tells him she doesn’t need his permission. Awful.

The climax in general felt pretty rushed, most likely because they had so many character moments earlier on the kind of ran out of time to do the ending with any real pacing.

23. ndixit says:

Every time I start liking the show, it throws out the usual cringeworthy girl power dialogue. It’s beyond annoying really!!! Then it also goes out of the way to make the so called strong women look extremely dumb, like Alex, an agent who gets conned into bringing a camera which blows her sister’s secret identity to Lord.

24. never_to_return says:

Now that Maxwell Lord knows Supergirl and Alex are sisters, will J’onn J’onzz be forced to attempt to erase that memory?

• Phoenix5634 says:

Most likely he’ll have to try, Maxwell Lord didn’t only find out Supergirl is Alex’s sister, but they were also talking about Hank, so it won’t be long until he clues in about Hank now too.

25. Jason Paul says:

Kudos to Jeremy Jordan who was excellent during his emotional scenes with Melissa Benoist.

26. Sabbertooth says:

If Kara and Winn do NOT get together I will sue Supergirl. I’m serious.

27. Nooooooooo! I hate the idea of Kara and James togather. And wait a second, James has feelings for Kara?!!?? Ugh!! I ship Kara and Winn and I also ship James and Lucy. Like for god’s sake!! Just get over Kara already James. You just have a crush on her and you met her like a few weeks before while Winn has known and loved her for much longer. Not forgetting that you are backstabbing your girlfriend Lucy who actually loves you. If you really did prefer Kara more than Lucy, you should’ve rejected Lucy when she came to fix your relationship. This is just annoying. Winn kissed Kara, and she just simply rejected him. He told her his feelings and I understand if she doesn’t feel the same. But if you want to make a huge twist in the plot, you should make their friendship die and then Kara would develop feelings towards Winn and they would be : ‘Supergirl series couple’. I feel like breaking into the tv and telling Kara about Winn whenever she feels jealous about James and Lucy. It also broke my heart the harsh way Winn was rejected. He is heartbroken from every possible way. His father is first putten in prison when he was only 11, and he lost all his hopes on what we call a family. He gets a spark of hope when he falls in love with Kara, and she just blows him off and makes his world a dark pitch. I love Kara and supergirl, but I hate the writer for making her like James and not Winn. I understand Winn and I am as heartbroken as he is. 😭😭😭

28. None says:

Now we don’t like the character Supergirl even more. Until things are patched up with her “friend” Winn. Now that he’s down she’s going to continue kicking him, by adding insult to injury. It has nothing to do with James Olson live not dating you I just don’t think you’re good enough in any way shape or form you handsome Hobbit.

I’m going to go make out with this guy Adam I just met…that will help our friendship.

How can anyone like a character that heartless?